I suggest you suggest your suggestions in this suggestion subforum! This subforum is for the members! Please post your own creative ideas here, not in the main board! And most of all, please remember to be nice and respectful!

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Member Suggestions

Should we increase the amount of KS that new users start with?

Yes, but I don't know to how much.
18%
Yes, to 500 KS.
9%
Yes, to 300 KS.
18%
Yes, to 250 KS.
45%
Yes, to some other amount (please post!)
No votes
No, 100 KS seems fine.
9%

Total votes : 11

Increasing Starting KS for New Users

Postby ToxicShadow » 07/26/2014 5:18 PM

Again, this thread stemmed from my mentioning it elsewhere, but it has also been something I have thought about for awhile. I also hope it is actually possible with the forum coding.

I think we need to increase the amount of KS that new users start with on Evelon.

When users earned 1 KS per roleplay post, we started out with 100 KS when we signed up. Since then, the amount was increased to 3 KS per roleplay post, and now 5 KS per roleplay post. The amount of features that cost KS has also increased over tenfold since then, too. Breedings used to be free if you snagged a room, now they cost up to 125 KS. There are also all sorts of Marketplace shops where KS can be used to purchase items, pets during holidays, breeding potions, custom Khimera and Khalmar, and pet edits.

So, I am suggesting that new users start off with more KS. Ideally, I thought, why not 500 KS for each user? Which would be the current equivalent to the ratio of 5 KS per roleplay posts. (New users starting with 100 roleplay posts' worth of KS.) I think it is the most logical, but everyone may not agree. Other numbers to be considered, I think, are 300 KS and 250 KS.

I'm curious if anyone agrees that it should be increased, so that new users can participate more right away on Evelon in purchasing pets/items/breeding tools, as well as if they see any specific KS amount being best? Please post your thoughts, as well, even though there is also a poll.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2879
Donate

Re: Increasing Starting KS for New Users

Postby Remedy » 07/26/2014 5:25 PM

I like this idea, because I think it would encourage and enable new users to partake in more activities right from the get-go.  However, like anything else, there is room for abuse - though I believe that can be dealt with as it comes.  I do think this is a very good idea, for the exact reasons you stated in your post - almost every available option to create or obtain new forms for characters require KS.  Raising the starter amount would, I hope, give new members the inspiration and ability to explore their surroundings.  I'm just uncertain on what amount would be appropriate without being ridiculous, which is why I voted "Yes, but I don't know how much."

I think back to the time when my search first began,
I left behind those shores of sand
For the endless everlasting world out there.

I know that with this burning passion driving me
Someday, somewhere I'll finally see
The light I have searched for everywhere!

-One Piece, "Hikari E"

HomeLogWishTradeImp. Docs
Remedy
Ultimate Explorer
Ultimate Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1982
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 07/26/2014 5:43 PM

The only problem with this is that we don't know how to up the amount of KS users start with. Our currency mod is.... honestly really buggy. Any time someone sends you GT it still says they sent you CP. That's because it's not something we can just edit from the screen that our cash mod gives us. I can't take a screenshot since I'm up at the school right now, but I will once I get home. There have been many things we've wanted to do with currency but just can't due to our cash mod.

It's possible that Krypto might be able to find the particular settings and adjust them, but I don't know for sure if she can. Tick-Tock is the one that set all of this up, and without her around to talk to, it might be pretty hard to find out what to change without screwing anything up.
// Pen || Wishes || Trades || Breeders \\
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1625
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 07/26/2014 5:57 PM

If editing the cash mod proves to be difficult, I would like to suggest an alternative means of getting KS to new users? Although, it would require a tad bit of work from a mod to do so.

Perhaps new users could earn bonus KS for completing small tasks? What I was thinking:

They post their own Introduction thread: they earn an additional 100 KS.
They post a pen: they earn an additional 100 KS.

That would total 300 KS, if that seems like a reasonable starting amount? It could also be changed, to be whichever end amount seems best.

If new users had to complete those things for the bonus, it might help them to get out there, just a little bit. Posting a intro and a pen is really the very basic starting point for most new users, as it is.

Of course, it would require a mod or mods to keep on eye on these areas for posts from new users, and then update their KS manually, but I think those areas are generally watched for new posts by most users, anyway?

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2879
Donate

Postby TrizzyTreke » 07/26/2014 8:17 PM

I completely agree with this idea. I've been on Evelon for about four months, and I remember feeling discouraged the first couple of months because I didn't have enough KS to buy pets and other items. New members would want to be more active if they had more to be active with, ya know?

What's a name?
Just window dressin'
Everybody knows it's clothes that make a man
Play the game
Just keep 'em guessin'
Mix and match me
Try to catch me if you can

TrizzyTreke
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items

Postby Remedy » 07/26/2014 8:35 PM

Popping back in to say I love Toxic's idea of having additional KS awarded for introducing themselves and making their own Zoo Pen.  I also think it would be a great idea if we had a simpler summarization/revision of the rules, much like what is being discussed in the other thread for the stats, where basic descriptions are given with links to the elaboration topics.  So, it might look something like this:

Newbies, Gather 'Round! wrote:Welcome to the Lands of Evelon!  First and foremost, here's what you need to know to get started:

Keystones, or KS, are the common currency of the Lands of Evelon.  You can spend them on pets, items, and even buy art from other users!  To earn keystones, the process is simple.  As a new user, head on over to the Hellos and Goodbyes thread and make a topic to introduce yourself.  Once that's posted, 100 more KS will be delivered to you (be patient, they're coming!)!  

That was easy, right?  Next, check out the Zoo Pens and set up a comfy cozy home for your characters.  You can pick out some freebie pets by clicking "Adopt" at the top of the page.  Then copy and paste the pets you like into your Zoo Pen, post it, and BAM!  That's 100 more KS just for you (they're on their way!)!  

You're now at 300 Keystones, enough to buy more pets from other users in the Advertise section.  You're ready to explore the expanses of the wonderful, adventurous, Lands of Evelon!  

But wait - you have 300 KS, but you're still wanting MORE?  Make it rain by opening or joining your first roleplay!  For each roleplay post you make, you'll earn 5 KS.  Make sure you do a good job and follow the rules, though.  They can be found <here>, etc etc (I'll keep going if anyone actually likes this idea X'D)

-One Piece, "Hikari E"

Remedy
Ultimate Explorer
Ultimate Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 07/26/2014 11:59 PM

I think 250 would be a decent starting amount. I also really like the idea of awarding newbies with bonus KS for introducing themselves, setting up zoo pens, RPing, etc. It would definitely encourage them to explore the site and stay around. I guess the easiest way to make sure no one is missed would be to ask the newbies to PM a staff member with the threads they started to redeem their KS. Getting some kind of response from a staff member may also make them feel more welcomed.

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Remedy » 07/27/2014 11:04 AM

Just popping back in to say I like the idea of having the newbies PM the staff, and agree that it might make them feel more welcome to receive a reply from a staff member.

-One Piece, "Hikari E"

Remedy
Ultimate Explorer
Ultimate Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate