I suggest you suggest your suggestions in this suggestion subforum! This subforum is for the members! Please post your own creative ideas here, not in the main board! And most of all, please remember to be nice and respectful!

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Member Suggestions

Would you like to see this feature be implemented?

Yes, and I think the community will become tighter as a result!
30%
Yes; I love reading the works of others, but I don't know how to express it
30%
No, I'm afraid this will become too much of a competition
30%
No, I don't think this is a good idea at all
4%
I have no opinion; yes or no, I don't mind
4%

Total votes : 23

Re: Writing Incentive: Review Feature [Update 10/2: POLL]

Postby Azura Rayume » 02/12/2016 5:06 PM

I think part of the problem (problem? might not be the right word here? discrepancy maybe?) is that we've got people from two different kinds of "camps" in this thread. We've got some that use writing/RPing as solely a hobby- they do this to de-stress and stuff so the idea of any kind of competition wouldn't be beneficial- and people like myself who grew up writing fanfiction more than anything and scrambling for that feedback. I want it. I want people to read my stuff and tell me what they think- I kinda crave it. It's validation that I'm doing something instead of just writing words for the sake of... myself? Nobody? The void? I don't know. I WANT to know. Even negative (constructive) criticism is better than nothing. Heck, a "this sucked, I hated it" kinda stings at first, but at least they LOOKED AT IT.

I'm gonna pull out a couple things that people have said through here to point out again because they're good and I want them highlighted again.

Entry system - Subsection of Imp. Docs/About You/Zoo Pens/etc. to place links to RPs you would want entered. This is almost necessary for this kind of thing to work. I guess we could do a dedicated post IN the Imp. Docs section- like a post of links in your Imp. Doc thread- if we really needed to. People can only vote for RPs in this section. RPs listed in this section would be the ones you, the entering user, would want other people to read. There could even be an option to mark specific thread as [Vote For] and others as [Give Feedback] for those who would rather use this reading list for feedback and advice. Starting writers may find this especially useful. If you do not want to participate, you are not required to make a thread.

One win per thread - An RP may be fantastic, but this is intended to reward people's efforts across the board. Once a thread has won, it cannot be nominated again- it gets another mark in the submissions thread (the one you put the thread in that you want read) that shows that it has won in the past. In addition, similar to other contests, you cannot win two months/entry periods in a row. Again, this is meant for everyone, so we can't have one person dominating every competition. This kind of helps with the bias thing as well- you can't always pick the same person(s), so you would need to branch out and read other people's stuff.

Small prizes - No one is meant to get rich of this. It's supposed to be an encouraging pat on the back, like "good job, keep it up." A small amount of KS, a less expensive potion, a bred Kuhna or common/uncommon holiday pet off your wishlist. Enough to keep people interested, but not necessarily something people could reasonably get over-jealous of. I could see people getting mad if they got a seasonal pet and someone else got a custom Kuhna, but if you get a Ghastly Kuhna and they get a Fuyuzakura Shinzo, no one is really "gypped" in any way. KS and potions (especially things like Palette Potions) encourage people to breed and RP anyway- now you can afford that breeding room or get that palette pet form for a character you really like.

Participation is optional - I, personally, would want this more for feedback and just knowing that I'm not throwing words out there and no one's reading it. There are people who don't want to do that kind of thing, don't care if people read their stuff at all. Some people don't want you to read their stuff because it's more private. That's totally up to you. You don't have to put up any threads you don't want to. You don't have to enter if you don't want to. It's completely on you.

Open RPs - while not specifically related to the reward system idea itself, it has been brought up multiple times in this discussion. I don't actually know HOW to get people more interested in open RPs. I wish I did. I've always had similar issues in having them as people have reported here- too many participants, people randomly jumping ship, one person driving everything way too fast, ect. For a while, people posted "limited RPs" where we would only take two or three other people, but those seem to get jumped from almost quicker. If this many people are willing to give them a try, though, we may just be able to pull it off. The best way to get them back to working may simply be to do it. Make threads, find threads, see what happens. Maybe post them in your own RP hunt threads so people know they exist, but... I dunno, if people are frustrated with things like this, we probably just have to push at it and make it happen instead of relying on some program or event or modly intervention to make it appealing again.

Boys and girls of every age
Wouldn't you like to see
Something Strange?

HomeRambleLoveDreamRecord
Azura Rayume
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1007
Donate

Previous