A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

Herb search (self)

Postby Pompom » 05/28/2016 2:15 PM

Jen was feeling confident and excited. She had never led an expedition before, but she was sure she had chosen the right companions. Both were as interested as she was in discovering new flowers, although each of the three had a different reason. Her own reason? She wanted something bright and unusual to plant in her garden.

The mist felt lovely on her skin as she buzzed back and forth close to the ground. However, she couldn't see very far ahead. All she could hear were the footsteps of her companions, who were being very quiet, and an occasional "plink" that sounded like water drops falling into more water. She landed on a large, moss-covered tree root and turned to look behind her. "Come on, guys! It's okay to talk on this expedition! The flowers aren't going to hear us and run away."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 200
Donate

Re: Herb search (self)

Postby Pompom » 05/28/2016 2:39 PM

Roy was cautiously picking his way across the forest floor, trying not to exert himself too much. It wouldn't take much to get hot enough to leave dried-out footprints in the moss. More importantly, he didn't want to damage the plants they were looking for. At least he didn't have to worry about setting anything on fire in such a damp location.

Whenever he came to a large tree, he paused to inspect the trunk for climbing vines. He wasn't sure if uncaria vines grew here or not, but he hoped he could find some. He twitched his ears around as he searched, listening for his companions to make sure he wouldn't get left behind.

Up ahead, Jen had stopped and was calling out to him and Zelie. Apparently, she wanted to start a conversation. Roy sighed and hopped over to the root that the hypofly was sitting on. "They call this place Whisper Forest for a reason," he chided softly. "We should be quiet, so we can hear if a bigger animal is hunting us, and maybe not attract its attention in the first place."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 05/28/2016 4:05 PM

Zelie was here to find ingredients for paint, which would be much easier if this yucky, vision-obscuring fog would go away. She had to be careful not to tread on her companions, for although she wasn't particularly fond of them, she would be lost without their keen senses. She supposed it was also her responsibility to protect them from any other carnivores that might be lurking in the mist, preferably furry ones that were smaller than herself and had sturdy skulls good for carving.

Some water dripped on her head, and she looked up in annoyance. To her amazement, she saw a bright pink flower growing on an odd plant that clung to a tree branch. She wanted that flower, but it was out of her reach. As she gazed up at the plant, a tiny blue frog peered out from among its spiky leaves, then ducked back down and made splashing noises.

A few paces ahead, Jen had settled on a root and was yelling about something. Roy hopped toward Jen from somewhere on the left. Zelie stepped forward and crouched to listen.
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 06/05/2016 11:54 PM

"But, if anything were hunting us, Zelie could protect us, right, Zelie?" said Jen.

"I'd love to, as long as it's not much bigger than me," chuckled the shartile. "If anything huge showed up, you guys would have to grab my tail or jump on my back quickly as I ran for cover. I'm no hero."

Jen's wings drooped. "Oh fine. I guess there is a good reason to be quiet here," she said softly.
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 06/15/2016 2:13 AM

"By the way, I want to get a flower that I saw back there," said Zelie. "It's higher than I can reach, though. I don't suppose either of you can climb trees?"

"Certainly not! I keep my feet on the ground, or under it," replied Roy.

Jen gazed sadly at her stubby toes. "These aren't very good for climbing. However, I might be able to fly higher than usual here, the air being so thick and all. I'll give it a try," she said, brightening.
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 06/25/2016 2:56 AM

Jen took off and buzzed gradually higher as her companions watched anxiously. Soon she was above Roy's head. However, as she neared Zelie's chin, her wings began to sputter and strain. She bobbed up and down a few times, then fell with a terrified squeal. Roy caught her and placed her gently on the root as she gasped for breath.

Zelie sighed in exasperation. "Really? That's all you can do?"

"Don't be rude," admonished Roy. "I've never seen her fly so high before."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 07/14/2016 2:18 AM

"Water, please," whispered Jen as she recovered her breath.

"Just a moment," replied Roy, scrutinizing the vines on a nearby tree. "I think this one is a liana, so...Zelie, may I borrow that skull for a moment? I need something to use as a dish."

"Definitely not!" huffed Zelie indignantly. "This skull is my pride and joy, not to be used in such a menial fashion."

Roy twitched his ears irritably. "Of course. Well then, perhaps this leaf will serve my purpose." He plucked a leaf from the vine and placed it beside him while he dug a small hole in the forest floor, then placed the leaf over the hole and pressed the center downward to give it a bowl's shape.
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate