A mysterious area, explorers tend to go missing and never return. A low fog constantly blankets the forest floor and strange sounds have been reported being heard during the day. Not much else is known about the forest. (+3 Speed, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Whisper Forest

You Can Run, But... {Self, M:L,V,G}

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 3:42 PM

(( This takes place five years in the past, both Griffin and Eli are human in this. Warning for future gore! ))

A mere three days had passed since their escape. But to Griffin, it felt like weeks upon weeks. Heavy fog surrounded him, dulling his senses and sharpening his tension. The only thing he could clearly see was his own shoulders as he looked over them with wide eyes, turning this way and that at every smallest possible sound. Even his own footsteps left him flinching.

A small twig snapped under him and he jolted, a jagged blue ritual dagger raised up to shoulder-height in defence against whatever had made the sound. When it dawned on him that it was his own boot that had been the cause, he reluctantly lowered the dagger. He refused to stop holding his breath.

That was, however, until something behind him shifted through the ferns. Whipping around, Griffin hoisted the dagger up and prepared to stab whatever it was until it stopped moving. But he paused long enough to make out the figure's shape before rendering it a bleeding pincushion. "Gods, don't sneak up on me like that," he hissed, slouching with a heavy sigh. "I just about put five holes into your face alone, pal."
when that light goes out this eve,
some will run, and some will grieve.

if you have a reason, or if you believe,
in darkness we trust.

the whores and gentlemen, they lead,
trails of insecurities.

i am not a watchman, i do as i please.

in darkness i trust.

About/Journal | Zoo Pen | Documents | Wishlist
Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1122
Donate

Re: You Can Run, But... {Self, M:L,V,G}

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 3:52 PM

"Don't look like such an imposin' shadow in a foggy forest." Eli kept his eyes on where he was stepping as he approached his startled friend, his tone a hushed chide. "I jus' about shot you in the face." Pushing his glasses up the bridge of his freckled nose, Eli passed by Griffin, head tilting up to watch the ever tall tree line.

Compared to the other, he was less than intimidating. Short, round, with more freckles than ought be allowed and light brown hair that was already greying at the tender age of seventeen. But the air he gave off was anything but timid. It screamed, "Try and pick on me and I'll drive your skull two feet through the dirt."

His nose crinkled as something far off disturbed the foliage. "... Now that one wasn't me. Gotchyer knife out?"

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 4:04 PM

Quite the opposite of Eli, Griffin was a tall and willowy young man. Dark brown hair cropped short to his somewhat large ears, with a pallid and sharp face. Where his appearance alone was on the threatening side, the man himself was easier to startle than a rabbit. He turned after Eli as he was shouldered past, still hunched over with his knife poised in front of him. "I think being shot through the head would be quicker." After some thought he added, "That wasn't an invitation, though."

Practically jumping out of both his skin and long coat, Griffin skittered up close behind Eli. Dark red and stupendously wide eyes bore into the distance, where a slight ruckus was still occurring.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 4:10 PM

"'Pends on where I shotchya," Eli hummed. Cocking his pilfered rifle, he aimed towards the sound. After a beat he shook his head a little, his glasses inching down his nose to leave his line of vision clear. The rustling began to move east of the two boys, getting farther and farther away. Eli didn't lower his gun until he couldn't hear the thing at all.

A small huff of relief escaped him as he shouldered the rifle over his back and glanced up at Griffin. "Whatever i' was, 's no' comin' fer us." While his tone was soothing, a thin layer of wariness still coated his words. He jerked his head to the side, gesturing for Griff to follow him. "C'mon, standin' around's worse 'n runnin' around." With that, he trudged forward, stormy blue eyes still fixed on where the source of the noise seemed to have gone.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 4:20 PM

Griffin made a mild face at Eli's remark. He didn't retort, though, so as not to distract the other from his shot. Not that one ever rang out. Which he was only somewhat incredibly grateful for. The thing was loud, and not only would it draw attention, it just plain hurt his head.

His head canted down to regard Eli as he spoke, and he gave a nod in response. While his gaze followed his friend so he didn't lose him in the dense fog, his focus was split. Just because whatever was to the east wasn't making noise anymore, didn't mean it was gone. Griffin knew that fact a little too well from experience.

The two continued on through the forest in silence for a good handful of minutes. He was also good at keeping quiet for long periods of time, but for some reason now seemed to be the exception. "That thing strapped to your back's pretty damn loud, isn't it?" After being shot a look he merely shrugged. "Was just saying."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 4:42 PM

Eli continued to squint up at Griffin for a solid five seconds before moving on. "I mean, yeah, it is pre' fucken loud." The two came upon a creek before he could say any more. He sidestepped down its shore a few feet then crouched down, taking out an empty skin and filling it. "But, 'f a somethin' somethin's comin' at us at the speed of lightfuck, which's gonna be more likely t' down the son of a bitch? Throwin' a knife? Tryn'a cast a spell while ye gettin' jumped? Stabbin' it while yer gettin' yer shit wrecked an' flipped into last week? Or pullin' a trigger an' immediately puttin' a hole in its brain?"

Capping the skin and stuffing it back in his leather jacket, Eli looked over his shoulder at Griffin. "So yeah, it's loud. But it's th' best option in an emergency." With a low grunt, Eli pushed himself to his feet and peered down the creek to find an easy way across. He made a come-hither motion to Griffin as he spotted a few flat stoned jutting out of the water.

It was a little tricky to not make a game out of hopping across the makeshift path over the creek. But somehow, Eli refrained. Maybe another time he could find a river to hop and skip across like he was seven again. You know. When the river in question wasn't in an eerie forest with a reputation of "keeping" people forever.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 4:54 PM

"I really was just sayin'." Griffin still fussed a little more under his breath, but after a bit shook his head. "Suppose so. But how are we supposed to differentiate between something we can take care of quietly and something that's an emergency?" His head tilted while watching Eli gather the water, nose scrunching a little. "... And how can we tell if that water's poisoned or not?" The tone of Griffin's voice was far from argumentative; rather, he was about two inches from panicking over that skin of water killing Eli and himself.

He tailed after Eli, picking where he landed on the stone steps very carefully. Sure, the creek itself wasn't terribly wide. But for all Griffin knew, the water could be much deeper than he could make out. And he didn't want to find out by falling into it.

Once across the ever imposing creek, Griffin inched up close to Eli's shoulder, hunching over a little so his whispering could be more easily heard. "How long do you think we've been in these woods?" His brow creased as he asked his question, eyes flicking worriedly up to the unseen treetops.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 5:09 PM

"Well," Eli hummed, raising a single eyebrow. "If you 'ave time to cast a spell, 's probly no' an emergency. If y' can clearly see it comin' righ' for ya, 's an emergency." As helpful as ever, but he wasn't quite in the mood to be a full-blown teacher.

So, when Griffin went on to ask another question, Eli rolled his eyes. He didn't complain or scold the other, though. He understood why he had to much to ask about. It wasn't like he knew much about the world outside of... He cleared his throat. "'S a few ways, but usually 'f the water's flowin', looks clear, an' there ain't a settlement nearby, 's probly safe t' drink." His head tipped to the side in place of a shrug. "'F I think it's no' safe I can boil i' when we find somewhere safe t' camp. 'Ll clean out anythin' in it if it ain't clean, 's that fair?" He glanced to Griffin beside him for a second.

And yet another question. He couldn't help but give a small sigh, if only because it'd been a long day. "Lessee, i' was dawn when we got close 'nough t' see the forest, an' there's still some amount a' light." He looked up, squinting as he thought. "I'd say we've been in 'ere no less 'n nine, ten hours? I can't tell where th' sun is 'xactly." Looking back towards where he was going, Eli added, "We sh' probly find somewhere t' park our asses soon, though. 'Fore it does ge' too dark t' see where we're goin'."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 5:20 PM

Griffin craned his neck to stare up at the sky. Not that he could really see it thanks to the fog as well as the trees. But he could see the light that was bleeding through. It was blurred by the fog, so he couldn't see how it fell through between the trees like streaks of pale silver and yellow. He turned his head this way and that, his gait slowing to an eventual stop as his mission to find the sun's location distracted him.

It didn't take long for his eyes, sensitive to light as they were, to catch one spot in particular that hurt to look at more than the rest. "There, maybe?" He pointed up towards the spot, eyes squinted to narrow red little slits. His face was scrunched up like a child that just had their first taste of a slice of lemon. "No idea how you can tell the time by seeing the sun... All it does when you look at it is make you regret your decisions."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 5:40 PM

Pausing as he heard Griffin fall behind, Eli turned over his shoulder to watch the other's antics. He gave an amused snort, eyebrows creased in a small smile. "Yer ridiculous, Griff. Don't stare directly at the sun, I told ya that already." Still, he moseyed over to his friend, looking to where he pointed. "Okay... We've been goin' northwest, so..." His words trailed off as sections from numerous books were mumbled to himself under his breath.

With a grin, he snapped his fingers. "'S the afternoon. We've go' a few hours a' sunligh' left." His eyes trailed to Griffin. "I'll teach ya how t' tell all this stuff some time, aigh'? 'S some good shit t' know in case I ain't with ya." He gave Griff's arm a firm pat before turning back to where they were headed. "No more distractions though, we dun' wanna lose those hours yeah? C'mon, mate."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 10:34 PM

"Right..." Griffin murmured, watching Eli. He absently raised his dagger up, pressing its hilt as well as his fist closed around it snug to his chest. His other hand grasped his elbow, arm pressed to himself. At the other's sudden trek forward, he shuffled after him, shoulders shrugging up close to his ears.

The silence of the forest would have been welcome had it been any other forest. No muffled screams, no ominous chanting up above his head in pitch darkness. No dread that he would come down the stairs at any moment. That he'd be tortured once more for gods only knew how many hours at a time. But, it was too quiet, too muted, and he couldn't see an arm's length in front of himself. From what they'd heard about the Whispering Forest, his anxiety was not misplaced.

But Eli was there. For once he could tell himself, for certain, 'Lijah's here. You'll be okay. You'll both be okay. The thought put him at ease, if only a little. His shoulders relaxed a tinge, and his stride increased from a cautious shuffle to an almost normal gait.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 10:50 PM

Eli couldn't help but appreciate the quiet as the two walked onward. Focusing on getting as far away from where they came from as possible, as well as not drawing attention, and explaining to Griffin whatever mundane things he'd never encountered, was less than ideal. Griff's curiosity had to wait until they were somewhere safe. Or at least until they were somewhere where they could just take a breather. Deep down, Eli genuinely could not wait to watch Griffin see and learn about the real world. But right now? Right now he just wanted to find efficient shelter.

And it took a good hour or so before he did. Coming to a halt, he pointed out the fallen log propped on top of another to his friend. "There, that'll do fer th' nigh'." With a satisfied little hum, Eli bopped his way over to the logs to check if anything had already taken claim to them as home.

"Mm-hm," he hummed again, even more pleased to find they were both occupied only by some spiders and moss. "Yup, this spot's good." A hand was waved for Griffin to come over to him, then he made himself comfortable in the grass betwixt the two logs. Pulling the rifle up and over his shoulder and setting it aside, followed after the heavy satchel full of travelling supplies, he took in a deep breath and sighed. "Son of a bitch, my everythin' hurts." Now that they were parked somewhere relatively safe, he was allowed to complain.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 11:04 PM

Griffin's near-confident stride came to a stop along with Eli's. He stood in place while the other inspected the logs, bouncing a little on his toes to keep himself from simply bolting at the sound of birds fluttering above. His hands twisted and wrung the hilt of his ritual dagger. Standing in place, Eli had said, was worse than running around. "If we're staying in one place for so long..." His words trailed off while he looked down and kicked a stick away from his boots. "If we're in one place for so long, won't we be more vulnerable..?"

He stood upright, eyeing Eli's back with worried brows knit upwards. But with a small huff he obliged, stepping over to ease himself down next to Eli. He placed his things next to himself on the ground, save for the dagger which was sheathed away in his coat. Crossing his legs, Griffin clasped his hands in his lap and soon had started to rock slowly back and forth.

As Eli occupied himself with popping his back and shoulders, Griff's mind wandered over the past few days. Entering the woods earlier that morning. Running west across the shore, and getting chased off towards said forest the day before. Fleeing a burning village the day before that. "How far do you think it spread?" His head turned to regard Eli.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 11:15 PM

"Pre' sure it ate th' whole town." Sighing, Eli leaned back against the log, head rested against a patch of thick moss. "As fer yer other question. Would ya rather keep walkin' in the dark? There're things tha' get up an' about in the dark that we don't wanna run inta." He raised a brow in Griffin's direction, then leaned over to fish a small pack of crackers out of his satchel. "We'll be clear a' this place some time tomorrow. Promise. 'F those loonies 'adn't tried t' put arrows through our 'eads we'd be a day away from Aldrect,
probly."

Munching down on a cracker, he held the pack out for Griffin to take a few. "Hope others got away, though," he mused. "Some a' them no' so much a' course. Bu' most a' them. Poor sons a' bitches." After a few crackers were eaten by the both of them, he put the rest away for another day. "Wonner what tha' launderer though' he'd ge' outta burnin' eveythin' down. I mean we go' somethin' out of it! Unless 'e was aimin' on makin' 'imself a pile 'f ash."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 05/02/2017 11:52 PM

Griffin reached into the packet, plucking out a few of the crackers. Quietly, he started nibbling on one. And then after a few seconds, scarfed it down whole, followed by the others. His eyes darted around as the crackers were devoured. No one tried to stop him. His shoulders relaxed a little, and his eyes quit bulging just a tad. Clearing his throat, Griffin slumped back against the log, knees hiked up with his arms tucked between them and his chest.

"So do I," he agreed, albeit reluctantly. Griff hadn't known anyone beyond his own family and Elijah, so how could he know whether or not the other townsfolk deserved to go up in flames? Had to just go by Eli's word, it seemed. In response to his friend's musing, he shrugged. "Maybe he hated everyone? Himself included?" His words trailed off as he thought. "I mean. People do do horrible things just to do them." After a beat, he shuddered. Horrible things... boy did he know it. "Or it... could have been an accident?" He looked to Eli for his feedback.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer