In contrast to the Dead Coast, Sa'fir Coast is jokingly referred to as the world's largest pepper deposit because of its black sand beaches. They attract tourists, who can enjoy the tropical landscape of Barakka without facing its harsh environments. (+2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Sa'fir Coast

Re: "I'm just here for the sun and to annoy the locals." [P;

Postby MythicDusk » 08/25/2014 5:57 AM

Belias slowly looked behind him and saw a young couple, walking with their child, the father sweeping the child up and placing the young girl on his shoulders, the girl kicking and flailing all the while, the mother grinning at this, taking the opportunity to kiss her handsome partner's face, leaning up to give the child a soft peck, too. He felt something writhe in his chest and creep up his throat. He knew it as sadness, a deep, indescribable sadness. He bit back his sob, instead turning his head towards the tents. Around here, people didn't care what he looked like. That comforted him, but all the same he couldn't get the image of the happy family from his head. All his life he wanted nothing more than that.

And now, by his own stupid mistakes, that ambition felt unreachable.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean
A brand new emotion come true, ooh
Don't let this night, don't let this night go

How long 'til you play me the song
That will make me belong to you?
One dance with my baby tonight
And we'll dance 'til the night is through

Jax Jones ft. Years & Years - Play

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 425
Donate

Postby Mousen » 08/25/2014 6:23 AM

Zari looked toward the circus, it had been set up yesterday. The strings of lanterns that guided visitors through the circus hung above their heads. They'd remain unlit until night fell. On first glance, the circus seemed very quiet.

She looked across to Belias and was surprised to see how upset he looked. Was he still upset about that kid? It wouldn't be unreasonable, she knew. Instead of inquiring, she wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug. It was funny, how tiny she was compared to the now human battleheart. "Belias, I love you. Remember that, okay? You know you can always speak to me, about anything."

Zari pulled away, leaving the subject for now. Belias could bring it up again when he felt like it. "I smell something cooking. They'll all be behind the main tent. Shall we?"

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MythicDusk » 08/25/2014 7:07 AM

Swallowing hard, Belias nodded slowly, his shoulders slumped and his head hanging. It was a far cry from when they were on the beach, where his head was held high, his grip strong and sure, his shoulders back and his chest puffed out in pride, simply because Zari stood beside him. Now, he looked much smaller, much more fragile. When he usually liked to be in constant contact with Zari, be it something as simple as holding her hand, now he seemed to shy away from her touch, his eyes dim and lowered as he walked on, his shoulders hunching slightly, as if he was walking through a cold and icy wind.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 08/31/2014 4:46 PM

Oh no. She knew Belias was more delicate than he let on, that his emotional state was always... precarious. (Hell, the same thing could be said for herself. Not that she'd ever admit to it.) But... Damn, people could sure pick their moments. Zu'hai, the next time someone upset Belias this badly there would be broken nose, dammit. It angered her and it saddened her, and it scared her. This was the Belias of old, skin and bones in a freezing temple who cared more about the light of a candle than himself.

She stopped, falling behind him."Belias, please. It scares me to see you like this. Speak to me, please."

Communicating her emotions had never been-- hell, would never be her strong suit. Zari almost hoped he wouldn't turn around to meet her gaze, it'd be easier that way. "Belias, without you I'd have died a long time ago. Literally, yeah... well, sure. But I'm not talking about that, before we met I wasn't... living, not really. I thought I was happy, but I was just running away. I spent my entire goddamn life running away because it was easier than facing up to the fact I'm basically just a disaster on two-to-four legs." She was about thirty seconds from a cheesy, lovestruck declaration and it terrified her.

"Belias. I have fucked up nearly every single relationship I've ever had. The only reason the circus still keep me is because they're as screwed to hell as I am. Believe me, it's like I tried to get them to throw me out. But... There's you, and you were so damned stubborn that I just couldn't leave you alone. And then, I got to know you," she laughed, looking up towards the sky. Anywhere but the figure in front of her. "You're so damn perfect, Belias. You know that? I mean, you're damaged and stubborn and you make me deal with all the emotions I don't want to, but you're the kindest, most patient, most-- Zu'hai, you act like you don't deserve anything, but you probably deserve a lot more than me."

Zari paused, dragging the back of her hand across her eyes. The little bit of make up she'd bothered with today was smudging and she didn't care. "You stupid old dragon, Belias. You don't have the faintest bloody inkling of how lucky I am to have you."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MythicDusk » 09/06/2014 6:39 PM

Her words had broken him down. She was right. She was so right and he could see it. He deserved to have a family now. He'd fought war after war, battle after battle, on the field and off, he had come home covered in bandages and scars, and every time Zari had stood there in the doorway of their tiny cottage, which Belias had to hunch to get through the doorway, where on warm summer days, he'd fallen through the roof trying to repair the thatch, much to Zari's amusement and chagrin. But every time Zari had stood in the doorway, holding the bright red suitcase with a white cross limewashed onto the font. Always prepared for the worst.

Slowly, he turned to her, looking at her with a strange mixture of hurt and adoration in his eyes. "I don't care what I deserve, Zari. I want you, and I want us to have a family. I want us to have a child who won't cry at the sight of me." He felt tears spilling down his cheeks, but he batted them away. Now was not the time. "I love you, Zari, with my everything. I know I've said it a lot, but I mean it every time. It doesn't seem possible, but I mean it more and more with every passing day. I count my blessings every day, some I forget, some I skip over because some days they don't seem like blessings..." He had begun to pace in the small alley, his hands moving erratically in front of him. "But the one constant, the one thing I always count, that I always know will be there, that I always know I will see as the biggest blessing of my life-" He paused in his steps, his hands setting at his sides, his mottled cheeks stained with tears as a watery but overjoyed grin broke across his face, his eyes glowing brightly.

"Is you. When I walk around, counting off my fingers early in the morning or late at night, the first and last thing I count are 'That I met Zari' and 'That Zari stayed with me'." He moved towards her, holding out his scarred and mangled hands. "I'm sorry, Zari. All I've wanted out of my life was a family. All I've wanted was a child. A little one to carry on my shoulders to the fair, or to teach how to ride a bike, or to intimidate the significant other into never hurting them. It's all I've ever wanted. It's what kept me going some nights." He then gave a soft chuckle, bowing his head slightly as he shook it. "Besides you, of course."

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 09/20/2014 6:28 PM

Zari watched his expression soften ever so slightly, and relief flooded through her. "Belias, I-- huh. What." Ah, Belias. Wonderful, brave, loyal Belias who was infinitely more delicate than he let on and more patient with her than anyone should ever have been. And yet, despite this, his sense of timing was atrocious. It wasn't that she didn't know, good god, anyone who'd known Belias for five minutes would know that he'd be a fantastic father, and it wasn't that they hadn't spoke about it vaguely in a strange sort of way, usually late at night when neither of them were keeping track of where the conversation was going.

But to throw it at her when she'd just admitted to running away from every single commitment she'd ever had prior to this one? It was a testament of her affection for him that she didn't turn tail and run. It wasn't even that she didn't like kids, she'd always adored helping her mum look after her siblings. But, Zari, herself, a mother? She knew she'd be terrible.

Now, however, was not the time for her own insecurities. She carefully put the thought of children in the box marked "things to be scared of at a later date", and looked towards Belias, taking a couple of steps towards him as he went to meet her. She entwined her hands around his, her nimble fingers seeking out the least scarred patch of skin she could find, and she brought it to her lips.

"One thing at a time, Belias. You know that I love you, and that there's not much I wouldn't do for you, but you're going a bit quick for someone who usually skips town when somebody asks whether or not they can call me their girlfriend." She laughs, wiping away the last smudges of make up from the corner of her eyes. "Besides, you haven't even married me yet."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 09/23/2014 5:21 PM

A nervous twitch of a smile touched his lips, his eyes still glowing bright before he leaned in to kiss the top of her head, his face buried into her hair, before he spoke softly against her scalp. "One thing at a time." He teased, a smile touching his scarred lips. "But before we have a too-serious conversation about our future, how about we go see your family?" He gave a large grin, all playful and loving, reaching out a hand to take hers. He seemed much more animated, as if there was something he wanted to tell her, something he was bursting to break, but he had to hold back, he chewed on his bottom lip with a hazy smile, his fingers wriggling impatiently.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 09/27/2014 9:07 AM

She wrapped her arms around his chest and allowed herself a small smile. Zari felt she was on steadier foundations now. Belias was happy, and no one was getting ahead of themselves. In front of her was the circus, her home.

Zari pulled back and took his hand, tugging him along behind her as she lead him through the entrance of the circus. This wasn't the gaudy circuses that were commonly found travelling and putting on shows around these seaside towns. It was darker... eerie almost, but far from frightening. Instead of heading into the main tent, she walked around to the back. A campfire was burning merrily, and various chairs had been placed around it. Spindly turn-of-the-century century kitchen chairs, wooden stools, tattered footstools and sagging armchairs. There was a good reason they didn't tour during the winter.

Mort was the first to notice her, sat facing the fire in a high-backed armchair that had really seen better days. It had once been emerald green, but with the velvet torn and faded and the stuffing exposed, well, it was difficult to tell. He got to his feet, his normally impassive face breaking into a wide smile. It would have been charming if it wasn't for the fact that he had empty sockets where his eyes should have been.

"Zari, good to see you again." His tone was casual, but full of warmth. "I see you've brought your... I see you've brought Belias with you." Her boyfriend? Her... other half? Her... something, at any rate. Walking towards them, he gave Zari a quick one-armed hug and held his hand out to Belias.

"I was hoping we'd meet again, the last time you were with us things were... not ideal."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 09/27/2014 11:54 AM

"That they were not, sir." His back had stiffened dramatically, from his goofy smile and slumped, relaxed posture that made him look like he had been carrying a far too heavy weight for far too long, to one with his broad, stiff shoulders pushed back, his chest inflated and his face scarily impassive. He took Mort's hand and gave it a few firm shakes. "I am very, very sorry about everything that happened the last time I was here. I know you can probably never forgive me, and I will not insult you by asking you too. But there is something I must ask you." He opened his mouth again, his voice clipped and hard, as if he was talking to his commanding officer, before he gave a quick glance to Zari, his chest deflating a touch, and he gave an imploring glance to Mort, not in the slightest bit worried by his appearance, how could he? "...Later, if I may." He mumbled gently, glancing away, his posture relaxing a touch, his voice growing softer, his eyes looking over to Zari as he spoke in a soft mumble, barely on the edge of hearing. "It's something of great import."

The soft weight of the piece of carefully crafted jewelry in his pocket reminded him of how important it was.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/02/2014 4:22 PM

Mort looked over to where Zari was stood, and he flashed a devilish grin in her direction before turning back to Belias. He looked up at him, raising an eyebrow. His demeanor had changed from a moment before, instead of being cordial relaxed he was suddenly more formal. "No. Generally people who drag any member of circus into danger find themselves in much worse positions than yourself." he shook his head, closing his eyelids for a moment. "Let alone, those who endanger the closest thing I have ever had, or ever will have to a daughter. Do you understand me, Belias? Can you comprehend the fine line that you walk in being close to her?" Mort tilted his head to the side, taking a step towards him. The light of the campfire seemed to dim, and the shadows seemed to gather towards the small, red haired man. He wore a humorless grin, too sharp and too broad to be anything but unnerving.

"Mort!"

His persona broke and Mort laughed, a genuinely happy sound. "I'm so sorry Zari. The poor boy just looks so serious, it's like he was expecting me to be upset with him! It's so sweet. He saved your life and he's acting as though it's completely unforgivable. Though," he added, twisting a lock of bright ginger hair through his fingers. "with all the grey hairs you've given me over the years..."

"Mort!"

"Sorry, dear." The ringmaster looked rather sheepish. "Belias, if I hear you apologize for something you couldn't possibly help again, I really will be upset. You're practically family at this point, there's no need to impress me. You can ask me whatever you like whenever you like. Zari will have some old friends to catch up with, anyway."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 10/02/2014 4:30 PM

He very nearly began crushing bones. He had nearly used his full strength, wanting to teach Mort a lesson he would never forget, or at the very least his hand would never forget.

That lesson wat that nobody, nobody could take him from Zari's side again. Hell, not even Zari herself could manage that by this point. He was hopelessly and eternally in love with the woman.

But, he relaxed instead, an easy smile coming to his scarred lips as he began to relax his shoulders and release Mort's hand. "Thank you, sir." He said softly, his voice taking on a much easier tone as he nodded towards the seats around the fire, asking permission to seat himself as he dipped a hand into his bocket, fumbling with the necklace as he took a deep, calming breath.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/03/2014 6:02 PM

Zari felt dizzy with excitement. She knew what he was going to ask Mort, but didn't dare let herself think it in case it was too good to be true, in case, by some twist of fate she'd misunderstood the situation.

"Zari, you haven't been to see Drucilla yet, have you?" Mort asked, in a purposefully innocent tone of voice.

She knew when she wasn't wanted. "Oh, yeah, sure." Zari reached up, and wrapped her arms around Belias' neck, pulling him into a brief but passionate kiss. "Back soon." With that, she disappeared into one of the circus's many caravans.

Mort resumed his seat by the fire, giving various members of the circus pointed looks. In an instant they were alone around the campfire. "I take it there's something you want to ask of me."

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 10/03/2014 6:21 PM

Belias slowly sat to take some of the strain from his quaking legs, drawing his large hand from his pocket, he held out a ring on a simple leather string to Mort. "I know it's nothing much, and I know it's not how people usually propose, but..." He held up his left ring finger, the one that was mostly missing and gave a strained smile. "I guess I'm still not over it. But even so, Zari's often told me you're the nearest thing she has to a father, so I wanted to ask your permission before I..." His voice drained away as he began to lose steam. "I want to marry her, Mort. I want to be with Zari for the rest of my life." He gave Mort a glare into what were once eyes.

It was a glare that threatened dismemberment and eloping if Mort refused him this.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/03/2014 6:39 PM

Mort had knew that he'd been going to ask for his permission to marry Zari, what he hadn't been expecting was his own reaction to that. Tears. Of course, being what he was held with it certain... strange characteristics. One of those were his tears, which made dark lines down his face like water soluble mascara. He brushed them to the side, trying to ignore what a mess he was making of himself.

"Zu'hai, Belias, you sure are something." he paused, laughing quietly to himself. "It's her choice, at the end of the day and I expect you to respect it no matter what she says to you. Though, I have never seen anyone make Zari as happy as you make her. Of course you have my permission to ask her."

He sighed, shaking his head in an attempt to pull himself together. "That being said, if you ever do anything to hurt her there will be nowhere on this earth where you can hide from me. Do you understand?" There was no need for theatrics this time, the tone of his voice made it perfectly clear how serious he was.

"One more thing, boy. Don't get sharp with me. Doesn't work. Beyond that, I'm probably going to be the closest thing you're ever going to get to a father-in-law and it's just plain rude."

Well, it was good that that was all sorted.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MythicDusk » 10/03/2014 6:45 PM

Belias felt his face soften and he brokei nto a grin. He resisted the urge to spring up and hug the smaller man to his broad chest. "Of course, I'm sorry. I just... I got scared that you would think I wasn't good enough for her, I guess. I promised I would never leave her again, and I want to keep that promise, no matter what." He gave a weak smile, realising that his excuses for glaring were falling stupidly flat. "Honestly, it's all down to my training. You hold a lot of sway over my life, Mort. It worries me. Nobody but Zari an-" He cut himself off, cleared his throat. "Not a lot of people have held this much sway over me. And when I get scared, I get angry." He gave a weak laugh, deciding to shut up as he stood, his simple necklace held tightly in his fist. "I'm gonna go propose to her now, okay?" He asked weakly, trotting off before he got a reply.

I want it to be you, ooh
Diving into my ocean

Zoo Pen
MythicDusk
Ultimate Pet Tamer