Did you miss an update due to being away for a long time? Do you remember an old update but can't find it and want to read it again? Past updates will be contained within this forum for your viewing pleasure.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Archives

Holding Pens & Pet Species

Postby Jaykobell » 04/04/2008 9:44 PM

Please note this topic isn't to scold anyone. o3o It's only so everyone's life get easier and happier. 8D

While surfing through the Pens yesterday night, I noticed quite a few Holding Pens of sorts that had many pets in them that were not labeled. For those who are unsure as to what I mean by "not labeled" is that your pets were not identified. Under your Bleached Tali, there is no, "Bleached Tali" or "Species: Bleached Tali" tag. It is in the Zoo Pen rules to label all of your pets, even if you wish to hold them in for the following reasons:

-For future plots/personalities.
-For trading/auctioning/gifts once the pet has retired.
-For the sake of having them in a certain color's or pet's section so you can have every pet out there.
-For any other reason you have them put up there.

This makes things complicated because when using the Search function, it can only find the words we ask it to find. If you have three Sky Slynxes, but did not Label them as such, unless your Pen has another Slynx and another Sky pet, the Search will not be able to find "Sky Slynx." If I can't find your pets, then I can't note you down, and this could create complications.

Going around the labeling a little bit. I've also noticed that some people do not spell their pets' species correctly. There is a list of pets in the Zoo Pens thread; please use it if you are unsure of the way the pet's species is spelled. Yes, we do know a typo can happen; but when every pet of the same species is spelled differently, we can't exactly call it a typo anymore. This not only concerns species; it also concerns colors. The example I've seen is that the Holding Pen's name had Biolune in it, but the pets were labeled as Biolume [Species]. If you use Copy&Paste, then yes, you just repeated your typo. However, I'd like to ask for you guys to try to look at the words carefully and to make sure it's spelled correctly. :3 If I ever spot a misspelled species/color, then I'll edit it. But please, try to minimize the typos. ^3^ You're gonna make Shrewdie happy. 8D You wanna make Shrewdie happy, right? ...

... o3o;

WELL ANYHOW.

My point is: be careful when filling in your Pen. Make sure you label all of your pets and that you spell their species correctly. <3

Thankee-sai to everyone who's taken the time to read this! <3 If you have any questions about the Zoo Pens, if you notice something wrong with the Zoo Pen Locator, then just PM me or any other mod/admin! We're here to make sure everything is crystal clear. ^O^ -licks all-

EDIT!: Here is a question I thought of that I believe might help some of you? o3o I'll post it here.

"Do I need to label all of my gift boxes and Easter eggs?"

The answer is: No, you don't need to label your seasonal gifts. :3 You need to label them, however, once they become pets. Then you'll have to label them with their respective species. But until then, there is no need to label your egg as "Species: Egg 2." =3 <3

"If my pets are all labeled, do I need to make a big list of every pet there is in my Pen as well?"

The answer is: No, you don't need to make a full list. :3 You can either:

-Write the species under the pet's image/in their profile.
-Make a whole list of every pet there is

Of course, if you wish to do it, you can do both choices above. =3 It is up to you. However, we do not force anyone into doing the list. ^__^ However, please do remember you need to one or the other so your pets end up being labeled one way or another~

"Are there any methods we can use to label our pets?"

Yes there are! =3 You can either:

-Put the species under the image, then have the profile follow suit.
-Include the Species tag in the pet's profile.
-[Holding Pens] If you have pets of the same color, you can label them as, "Bleached Tali x2" under the respective images.

It's up to you, as long as we can see which pet is which. <3

If you have any other ideas about how to label your pets, you can always send me a PM! =3

Hope anything and everything that was posted here helped you guys! <3

A little something for you guys to follow up from now on!

As I've went through the Pens, I noticed most people don't post either the species of their Kuhna kits, or they don't post the parents of said Kuhna. Please, I ask that, from now on, you must
put in the species and the parents of your Kuhna kits OR any average Kuhna that was bred. If you don't know the parents, please PM the person you got the kit from (if it was traded) or if you don't remember/know and didn't keep a record, just PM me and I'll see if I can find it for you.

Please, I ask that put the two things mentioned above. First, putting the species of your kit is something you should be doing, even if you don't know what it is. Just edit your post or add your kit once you know the species. As for the parents, it's because sometimes, people breed two kits of the same species, but trade one of them, but keep the other. In that case, I can't read that Kuhna's mind (nor yours) and guess who its parents are, which is why I can't update the records accurately. Putting in false information can screw the whole thing and create many problems when it comes to retracing the missing kit, and then problems follow suit. Get my point?

So yes! Everyone, please make sure to label your Kuhna kits and to add their parents in their profiles. =3 It'll make my life (and Stoffie's, no doubt) way easier. =3

Thank you much, guys! <3

EDIT!: It seems like this post sounded confusing. @_o; Never type in the morning? Bah.

What I'm asking is for you guys to only put the parents of your Kuhnas, not the whole lineage, such as siblings, grandparents, half siblings and all that huge stuff. What I want is as simple as this:

"Name: Bobby
Species: Common Kuhna
Parents: Bob and Lala"

This all I want. Keep in mind that if a Kuhna gets traded around and you don't know their parents, although the chances are low, you could get into some accidental inbreeding. Chances are SLIM that it will happen, but when the Kuhna gets traded often and the parents don't get passed on as well, I'd say some people would be annoyed at the fact that they don't know the parents of their Kuhnas. And if you happen to be oblivious about the parents of your Kuhna, just PM me and I'll look for it for you, see if I can find the parents.

Really, this all I would like you guys to do. If you're not keeping a public record, it makes things way easier.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 05/09/2008 11:08 AM

[center]I've updated the post above with some new little rules, please make sure to read and apply to them! =3
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate