Have you written a story that you'd like some others to read and give you some feedback? Or maybe you want some opinions on a piece of art, a custom design, or even a roleplay post. If so, this is the area for you!

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Feedback

Let us know which option from the list in the post below you like best!

Option 1
4%
Option 2
96%
Option 3
No votes
Option 4
No votes
I've got a different idea! (Please post your idea)
No votes

Total votes : 23

Condensing the Forums

Postby Kyrit » 05/04/2017 5:22 PM

It's come up before, but usually we only look at areas outside of roleplays to condense. Thoughts of expanding the areas available on Evelon have come up many times though, and we always stop at, "but the front page is already pretty long.... users probably wouldn't want us adding more places to scroll through."

Evelon does have other continents than just Lambastia and Barakka though. For example, the Tengumi's information states they are native to the eastern continent of Issa. The Ttee's description when you're adopting them also mentions that they're believed to be from a far off continent. There was also a plot that almost happened once upon a time (sadly it was back before Baal and Ticky both retired [sssh, Baal's totally retired] and ended up getting canned when they retired) that would have introduced a different continent to Evelon as well. It wouldn't be for quite some time, as we still have the war to wrap up (which I promise I'll try to get on that as soon as possible), but if we do find some way to condense the front page a bit, the staff would eventually like to open up the world more and introduce everyone to more of Evelon. As such, this thread was made to get feedback from you guys on the various ways we've thought about doing it and even gather different ideas from you if any are pitched!

The start of this would be updating Evelon's maps, which I've mostly finished. I added some of the areas that hadn't gotten added and did a bit of minor alteration of which region of a continent (with approval of Baal) each location was considered to be in (as, for example, in Lambastia, almost everything was considered to be in Norrega). I'm still not quite happy with them though, so I've only got working drafts for the time being. They at least give an idea on distribution for the time being. Here are three maps of Lambastia thus far, showing just the areas within the given region.

These are not finalized, but they do give a better visual guide of what locations are within a given region. Anyways, I'll get to the options we've thought of so far. I'll list them in the order of most drastic change to least drastic change

Option 1
Cut down to six roleplay areas based on the three regions of each continent. For example, the Lambastia roleplay section would be cut down to forums named Basantha, Desuna, and Norrega. You can see an example of what this would look like on the forums here.

Pros;
°Leaves us a LOT of room to work with on the forums
°Leaves it very open for users that can't think much of where their RP would fit best.
°If on an existing continent, if places are added to the map they doesn't need an actual forum created.

Cons;
°Heavily impacts collecting pets via exploration (as more pets would be available in each area).
°Area level bonuses would have to be changed/restructured (there have been thoughts on how to make this easy on users though).
°Users would have to adjust to the huge visual difference and might feel it's too open.

Option 2
Six major RP areas based on the three regions of each continent, but with subforums for existing major locations. For example, Desuna would be one of the three forums under Lambastia and would have the following subforums; Lya Pointa Cathedral, Roraldi Forests, Vast Plains, and Aldrect, the Holy City. An example of how this would look on the forums (with modification, because what is alphabetical order) can be seen here

Pros;
°Gives plenty of space while maintaining existing areas/area bonuses
°While users have the set areas, they can also roleplay in the broader category forums if they don't think it takes place in one of the existing areas.

Cons;
°Subforums might look a little bit cluttered (we use them for plenty of other areas anyways though).
°Users would have to adjust to the huge visual difference.

Option 3
Minimal change. Just remove some of the areas that are basically the same as another or aren't really used much if at all. For example, removal of Tuun Mountains and Basantha Shrine; just make an area dedicated to the Fe'gan mountains.

Pros;
°Users don't have to adjust much.

Cons;
°Nothing really changes, we're not solving the problem of making more space.

Option 4
Change nothing! This actually is a viable option, it just doesn't solve the problem of making more space for more content.

Pros;
°Nothing to adjust to.

Cons;
°Nothing changes, very little probably gets added in the future.

This has gotten a bit long, so I'm going to cut myself off here now that I've at least listed all the options we've thought up so far. The pros/cons are just ones I was able to think up as I typed this, so as users give feedback I'll add any pros and cons they think of to this list. I've also set the poll so users can change their vote, just in case anyone has their views swayed by the feedback of another user.
// Pen || Wishes || Trades || Breeders \\
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1585
Donate

Re: Condensing the Forums

Postby Mojave » 05/05/2017 7:36 PM

I like Option 2 personally, because it seems like the best compromise. All the cities and such are there if we want to rp in them, but we also have a broader area to set our stories as well. As for the cons, those are the least impactful imo so doesn't seem like it'd be as much work on the backend? I'm sorry if I'm wrong on that point.
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Re: Condensing the Forums

Postby Kyrit » 05/09/2017 8:45 PM

Not many posts, but hey, the poll is pretty much unanimous (with the exception of one person)! We've got a 95% approval rating for option 2 out of the people that voted, so I think we can call this one good and I'll work on finalizing the maps and information. Might still be a while before it does become official, but we'll get there.
// Pen || Wishes || Trades || Breeders \\
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1585
Donate