Variety seems to be the style of the western region of Desuna. Much of the south is exceptionally flat and has aptly been named the Vast Plains, as the land seems to roll out endlessly. If you reach the northern ends of the plains though, trees begin to appear, growing larger and thicker until you're surrounded by the Roraldi forest. Trees get more sparse toward the north, unable to grow in the surrounding permafrost.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Desuna

Re: :. Amanormativity Conspiracy [zap/Omni]

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/19/2018 11:44 AM

Jennifer relaxed slightly as Victor played along with her joke, glad that someone was in on her thoughts. She wished she could feel more like an adult, and not feel as though the seventeen year old beside her was necessary for her emotional stability right then, but she also supposed that it was nothing to be ashamed of. It had been years since she'd been on a date. Medical school had been so busy that she'd barely had time for anything but studying and her precious few hobbies. Cute boys were abound, sure, but there was something about homework that had just driven the drive out of her.

Elliott's handshake felt weak, but she chalked that up to surprise in seeing her, or perhaps awkwardness. "Great to see you again. It's been awhile, yeah?" she found herself parroting what she said to Victor, habit. Canned phrase. Ah, why did she feel like she didn't have much to say? Perhaps it was after everything that had happened, she felt as though saying much of anything worth saying would only be upsetting.

Jennifer offered a genuine smile, though. "I hope you're doing well. Both of you!" she added, with more cheerful of a tone in her voice. "Shopping today? I just came by to check out the decorations before they take them down. Pink and red is such a nice contrast on a cloudy day like this."

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

[9][4]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/19/2018 3:45 PM

It was bizarre for Elliott to be interacting with a coworker outside of work, and especially a coworker who knew. He had been grateful for Jennifer's support during that difficult time, where she would visit Victor while he was in the hospital, but there was something there. Like an embarrassing scar that would never heal. Something people would never forget; and he didn't know how he felt about that.

He didn't know how to feel about much of anything, lately.

"Yeah," he said simply for a reply to her statement. "Uh, nice to see you too," he added afterwards, just to be polite - but his awkward delivery had probably betrayed the fact he'd hesitated to even address that part. It was a relief to have Jennifer and Victor carry the conversation. He struggled with idle talk to begin with.

"Yeah!" Victor said in response to Jennifer asking if they were shopping today. Of course, they both knew that: Victor had advised Jennifer that was what they would do today. It was all to keep the charade that this was a "coincidence". "I wanted to come and check out the deals from Valentine's! So I asked dad if he wanted to spend the day with me," he explained, and to try and make Elliott open up a bit, he grabbed a hold of his arm, intertwining their arms together.

Elliott blinked at the gesture, but Victor only smiled. "We don't hang out enough," he said, but with all the love in the world, and not a hint of guilt-tripping. "I bet you hang out with him more than I do!" he added with a laugh, and he winked at Jennifer. Elliott wasn't opening up, so it was up to the two of them to try and get a reaction out of him.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/20/2018 2:37 AM

Jennifer laughed at Victor's enthusiasm, finding the fun charade of mutual unknowing to be putting her quite at ease. It was like a game, and yet, pretty soon she was sure they would fall into actual conversation. Either way, she was a little bit giddy--she hadn't hung out with much of anyone for awhile. All of her girl friends back home were fine to text and call, but several cities away, it was hard to keep in touch properly.

"Hey, that's a pretty good idea. Cheaper chocolate... that's tempting," she chuckled, then looked up at Elliott upon Victor's indication that they needed to hang out more. "Well, maybe not lately. It's been a little while since we've run into each other. This is a nice surprise." It was the truth, surprise or not. "I think it's a good idea to try to unwind a little bit, now and then. I certainly don't do it enough."

She knew it was likely an understatement, from how intense she'd heard Elliott could be at his job. If Jennifer never took breaks, Elliott had never heard of them. No matter--it was a little funny, and a little sad, and a little sweet to see Elliott looking so awkward. "I don't know this area super well--do you mind if I tag along for a little bit?" she asked, addressing Victor and Elliott both, kind of looking between the two of them as she asked.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

[10][5]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/20/2018 9:50 AM

It hadn't been anything personal, back when Jennifer was transferred out of Elliott's department. Even now, as he kept transferring other people out, none of it was personal. The psych ward was just a difficult place to work in. That's all. There was nothing else to it.

At her suggestion to hang out with them, Elliott's face contorted into some sort of emotion. It wasn't upset, nor irritation, but it wasn't all that welcoming, either. Ultimately, this day was supposed to be whatever Victor wanted. If he had a choice, spending the day with a coworker wasn't his number one pick. "If Victor wants to," he said, looking down at his son, who was still latching onto his arm.

"Yeah! It'd be great!" Victor exclaimed without a moment's hesitation. Regardless of this being so Jennifer could see Elliott again, Victor enjoyed her company. She was a nice doctor, but she was also a nice person, and he certainly enjoyed the company of nice people. "There's tons of cool deals! Cheap chocolate is just one thing!" he assured Jennifer, and the excitement in his face was obvious.

"We'll show you around! Right, dad?" If his dad had been difficult to coax into some sort of emotional reaction, it was even harder now. Whereas his dad used to hide behind spiky walls, now he simply hid behind smooth ones that gave him this distant, compliant attitude.

Victor's efforts were chipping at those walls, but they were still relatively unsuccessful as Elliott just continued to comply with whatever his son said. "Sure."

"Right," Victor said in response, but the air got awkward for a split second. "So what do you wanna check out, doctor Bannister?" If Elliott wasn't going to open up, at least he had Jennifer as backup. "There's a whole bunch of stores here! Jewelry stores, candy stores, clothing stores, toy stores..." he listed, naming but only a few. "Anything you wanna see?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/21/2018 3:14 AM

Jennifer felt a small twinge of anxiety at Elliott's answer, but really, she was used to this by now. Well... that was a lie--she was used to Elliott, and his usual demeanor, not this sort of odd passive attitude. It wasn't like him. She wondered briefly if it was because of her, but...

No. That was unlikely. Not after...

Her smile, tense before, softened. "Thanks for having me!" she chirped, glancing down the row of shops, as far as she could see from her position. "All of that sounds fun! Mmm... I'm not one for jewelry, and neither is my wallet. Maybe candy first? I bet that's what most people are here for, so we better grab some before everyone else nabs it!" It was a joke, but she was just happy to go just about anywhere. And the idea of candy was preeetty darn tempting.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[11][6]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/21/2018 9:54 AM

With Jennifer's suggestion, Victor half-expected Elliott to get in on the conversation to warn Victor about all the nasty side effects of eating candy. His dad had always been one to monitor Victor's nutrition, and he always made sure to lecture him about the pros and cons of literally anything he ate.

"Yeah!" Victor agreed to Jennifer's idea. "We should do that! It'll go the fastest for sure. Discount Chocolate Day!" he pointed out with a laugh, and he glanced up at his dad. "Right, dad?"

The passive attitude was seemingly here to stay as Elliott just looked back at his son when he was spoken to. "Sure," he replied simply without adding anything more; even with Victor staying quiet after his answer.

It was Victor's turn to frown just a little bit. The point of today was also to keep working on his dad - nothing had quite been the same ever since... Victor's mistake. "Okay, well," he said after a few tense moments of silence, "I know one store down this street that has really good candy! I'll show you!"

He headed on off ahead, leaving Jennifer and Elliott to follow along behind him. This was the perfect opportunity for Jennifer to work on his dad, too. Those walls needed to soften up - a lot.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/21/2018 11:47 PM

Again, with this standoffishness--Jennifer was increasingly concerned about it. It just wasn't like Elliott. Where was the casual berating, the regular quips and jabs? Well, she knew where--she had been terrified during that time, but for a father... it was something else. She smiled, soft, and nodded her head. "Lead the way!" she chuckled as Victor ran ahead. She glanced at Elliott, as they both began to follow Victor, and after a moment she reached out to lightly pat and rest a hand on his shoulder. It was brief, and she removed it to return her hands to her pockets. "How are you, really, these days?" she asked quietly. "I hope you have more help in the psych ward than when I was there with you. You deserve it."

She was quiet for a few moments, just observing the shops as they passed them. Despite any sort of feelings, she mostly just wanted to put Elliott at ease. It was clear he wasn't--and perhaps he wouldn't be. But she wanted to try. It was the healing instinct in her.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[12][7]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2018 12:21 AM

Up ahead, Victor kept a leisurely pace, but all the while giving Elliott and Jennifer some space to talk. The store wasn't right next door, so it would be a little bit of a walk, hopefully long enough to give Jennifer plenty of time to enjoy his dad's company a little. Of course, if she managed to get anything out of him, considering.

A little behind, Elliott jumped just slightly when he felt something on his shoulder. He turned to look at Jennifer, the shock on his face quickly turning into embarrassment. "I'm just fine," he insisted, looking away from her and avoiding eye-contact. Right, he had been fine, perfectly fine. He wasn't being defensive.

"Same for the psych ward. I've been laying people off," he added, finally speaking more than just a handful of words at a time — even if the subject matter wasn't all that positive. "Too many idiots, too many mistakes," he continued, and his voice had become defensive. He had the least amount of help he'd ever had, all under the pretext that the manpower assigned to the psych ward was too incompetent to help. It made work all the more exhausting, but at least those who were there now worked to his expectations.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/26/2018 4:29 AM

Jennifer was glad she'd taken her hand off when she did--she had half a mind that Elliott would have bitten it off her wrist had she not. For all his ilk, he had the ability to be rather transparent, or at the very least translucent. Perhaps against his will, perhaps not. She felt like prying, but also knew better.

Ah, what a fickle thing self control was. "You ought to interview the employees yourself. You've certainly worked there long enough. See if you can find some people who you won't have to lay off," she mused, her tone conversational and friendly enough, but also not entirely joking. She could sense the defense in his voice, used to it, but this particular sort felt a little bit more venomous than usual. "Clearly you must have other reasons for laying your crew off--because I wasn't much of an idiot," she added with a shine of amusement in her eyes, a kind of soft self-confidence mixed with teasing. It came out more soft than anything, though. "I miss it, sometimes, though I'll admit I probably won't gray as quickly as I would working there."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[12][8]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/26/2018 10:36 PM

It would go without saying that they would be talking about work, outside of work. Elliott couldn't tell if this was a good thing, all things considered, or if he would rather not talk about the job. It distracted him from talking about other things, and yet—

"I don't have time to interview everybody," he snapped at Jennifer's suggestion, jumping on the defensive. "So Murray just dumps whatever idiot thinks they can handle the place, and then I'm stuck with them making my patients worse." Yes, perhaps the ward desperately needed help, but that didn't mean anyone could be assigned to it. It was a double-edged sword, where Elliott had no time to start interviewing everybody, but he also had no time to take a gamble at every single worker that got assigned to him.

He also scoffed at Jennifer's description of herself. "The reason, doctor Bannister, is that I need people who have credentials in psychiatry and psychology," he explained, if rather venomously, "and not just random medical professionals who think they can work in the psych ward." He was tired, and he just wanted the ward to work. For that to happen, he needed the right people.

"So I highly doubt you miss the place," he finished, the whole time talking without making eye-contact, and simply staring ahead.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 03/04/2018 3:55 AM

Jennifer fell quiet, for a long moment, processing the flurry of information he'd thrown at her. She stared ahead, keeping an eye on Victor's form in the crowd up ahead, her hands in her pockets. The edge of anxiety in her throat had melted away into a calm sobriety, which she'd developed after his first few outbursts at her while working with him.

She wasn't sure when that defense had softened into something like attraction, or even affection. She questioned it, now, but it remained steadfast. More so than that, though... the tension coming off of Elliott was palpable. "I understand," she murmured after a moment, shrugging her shoulders. "But I do miss it, in a way. You can doubt all you like. I don't care."

Her mouth tugged into a smile at that, but it was short lived. "I know things have been tense, lately," she continued, dropping her voice quieter, so that only he could hear. "How... is Victor getting along? He seems to be doing well, right now... to an outsider looking in, I mean."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[12][9]

Postby Jaykobell » 03/04/2018 2:52 PM

Jennifer's rough answer had made Elliott glance at her just so he could narrow his eyes and glare. He said nothing, though. This was not a place to argue or fight, and there was no reason for him to fight with an employee. Then again, part of him thought she certainly ought to watch her mouth around one of the most powerful doctors at the job. He had ways to be petty and make people pay. When he felt this particularly jaded, abusing his power sure sounded tempting.

This was outside of work, though. Technically speaking, Jennifer was a free woman here. She could say and do whatever she wanted. That was but a momentary, fleeting second of a power trip for him, to entertain such an idea.

And then, the conversation changed topics almost immediately. Jennifer's voice became lower, as the subject changed to Victor. Initially, Elliott had continued to frown — because really, what did she know about his situation? — but when she asked about Victor, his expression softened a little bit. If anything, it became more avoidant, his eyes looking away. "He's... fine," he said hesitantly, his voice just as hesitant. "I guess," he added, and then he sighed. "I don't even know." A renowned psychiatrist who had failed to see any warning signs, who had failed to protect his own child from what could have been a point of no return. He thought Victor had been doing okay. He had clearly been dangerously wrong, so how was he supposed to say now? Being the absent, aloof father that he was.

He ran a hand over his head, and through his hair. "I don't know."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 03/05/2018 2:41 AM

Jennifer let him speak, sparse words that they were, her expression waxing sympathetic. She'd never had a kid, or little siblings to speak of. It was a foreign world to her, but if she'd been hurting while Victor was in the hospital, she knew that Elliott must have felt it one hundred fold, if not more than that. She glanced back at Victor in the crowd, offering a smile. "He seems like he's doing better. It's cool you came with him today," she mused. "I know it's not your scene. Doesn't seem like it, anyways. But he looks like he's having fun."

She fell quiet for a moment, letting her words hang, noticing they were getting close to what looked like a candy store. That must be Victor's destination.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[13][10]

Postby Jaykobell » 03/08/2018 1:27 PM

Her words weren't wrong, Elliott figured. This really wasn't his scene: the whole Valentine's schtick literally induced nausea in him, and shopping was definitely not something he enjoyed to begin with. He was doing it for his son, to try and be there. It was probably too late for him to be a good father anymore, but as long as Victor would want his company, he would try. He would try to be there.

He said nothing to Jennifer. Her words had been fine, he simply had nothing to say. It was sweet of her to say those things, he supposed. "I guess," he said, finally, as insignificant as it was for an answer. "I don't know anymore." Had he ever?

Shortly after, they had reached the destination. "It's here!" Victor exclaimed, turning around and waving his arm in the crowd for Elliott and Jennifer to catch up. "This is the one!" From the looks of it, they still had things available, and a whole bunch of Valentine's-themed sweets on sale. "Let's hurry! Come on!" he said excitedly, barely capable of waiting for the two of them to catch up so they could walk in and check out the merchandise.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 03/09/2018 10:35 PM

The brief moment of vulnerability that Elliott had shown had settled something in Jennifer's heart--a kind of reassurance that perhaps his facade wasn't completely unbreakable. She didn't want to tear anything essential away--just enough to try to bring some level of peace to what was otherwise a coiled spring of guilt and tension.

She opened her mouth to say something else, when Victor's voice cut through her thoughts. Her eyes brightened at the look of the store, fixing her expression into something much more excited and childlike. "Oooh, gosh, this place looks so cute," she laughed, walking just a little bit ahead to leave Elliott alone with his thoughts for a moment. Her seed was planted. She'd water it later. For now, she wanted Victor to have fun, just a little bit.

She picked up a stuffed bear that held a box of chocolates in its little paws, and she laughed, gently shaking it. "Do you think I'm too old for stuffed animals?" she asked Victor, holding the bear in front of her face and rocking it back and forth, as if it were speaking. "What do you think, Victor?" she asked in a high, falsetto voice.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext