Variety seems to be the style of the western region of Desuna. Much of the south is exceptionally flat and has aptly been named the Vast Plains, as the land seems to roll out endlessly. If you reach the northern ends of the plains though, trees begin to appear, growing larger and thicker until you're surrounded by the Roraldi forest. Trees get more sparse toward the north, unable to grow in the surrounding permafrost.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Desuna

My Dear, There is Still So Much for You to See [Ri/Jobie]

Postby RiDragon » 02/18/2018 3:06 AM

"Do you have to wear that to the date, Professor?"  The disapproving voice of a teenage girl grumbled, holding a brand new suit in her arms.  "Look, I found this with your stuff, you've never even worn it!"

The old man ran his hand through his thick white hair, grinning sheepishly.  "Now Riley, when have you ever seen me wear anything else besides my trusty coat?"

The girl frowned in response, moving the suit up and down in her arms to somehow try to convince him to take it.  "She's gonna think you're weird, wearing a lab coat to a date..."

"I am weird."  He grinned a bright toothy smile while the girl put her head in her hands and groaned.  "And remember, this wasn't my idea you know."  He gave her a sly look as she nervously looked away.  "I should at least get to wear what I want if I don't get a say in what I'm doing today."

The girl huffed and put her hands on her hips in an exaggerated way, her bright red Mohawk jiggling slightly at the sudden movement.  "You needed to get out anyway Winter, it'll be good for you."

"Mmmm.  I don't recall you being voted into the position of concerned parent...  I think I'm too old for that to really work."

She smirked, "It was a hostile takeover."

"Ah, I see."

"At least wear this, okay?"  She unclipped a red rose from the suit and held it out.  She rolled her eyes at the incredulous look the Professor gave her.  "It's So she knows who you are."  She said before he asked, "we told her kids that you'll have a red rose on your person, so she can pick you out if there's a crowd.  Like she'd have trouble with that anyway..."

The Professor hesitated a second, but relented as Riley gave him an annoyed look, gently clipping it to the front of his coat.  "Do I look spiffy?"  He twirled around.

Riley buried her face in her hands.  "Please, just go before I regret this idea."

"Well, that's kind of the point now isn't it?"  He winked at her before doing a quick turn on his heel and walking out.  Only to walk back in backwards a few seconds later.  "Where was I going, again?"

"The tiny coffee shop on the other side of town, Professor.  It's called Little Beans."  

"Ah yes."  He walked forwards again, leaving his student to groan behind him.

----

It took a while for Winter to find the coffee shop he was to meet this blind date at.  Mostly because he kept getting distracted looking at various shops and petting stray cats.  He made it there eventually though, and even early!  It was a quaint little place, family owned, small, and decorated as if it were a cottage.  He took a moment to wonder if he should sit outside on the patio chairs or inside, opting for outside after a moment or two.  He rolled down his sleeve and ran his hand down his arm past ten different watches, stopping at the third one.  Ah, she should be here within a half hour.  He wondered if he should feel nervous about this.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless
I will give... I will take

I will feel the stars crash, crash down
RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 700
Donate

Re: My Dear, There is Still So Much for You to See [Ri/Jobie

Postby jobiehanna » 02/18/2018 5:08 PM

"Here, take that apron off Mama C!" A small, stern voice called behind Cienna as she headed toward the door. She looked down at herself - the tattered, patchwork apron was on top of her date dress. She shook her head at her habit of putting the apron on top of everything she wore.

"Thanks dear," she called to the young boy. She untied the strings and hung it on a peg near the door. Then she spun around, the flaps of her green dress swaying about her calves. "How do I look now?"

A giggled of laughter erupted from the young boy, and a gasp from the girl. "You are bootifuul," she girl said, grinning. Cienna's heart melted. The girl was such a sweet little thing, despite being abandoned as a babe.

"I'll be back before you know it," Cienna told her young charges. "You two behave yourselves!" She gave them each a hug, then scampered out the door.

Finding the coffee shop was easy, getting the courage to approach her date was hard. The kids had set this up - devious little angels. Cienna hadn't been on a date in years. But she was happy with her simple life in the simple town. Take care of the children, clean the house. She sighed, wondering what she got herself into.

He was to wear a red flower on his person, so she could find him. She'd worn a red rose in her springy, black hair (there were some gray hairs as well, but we won't go there), so that he would be able to spot her as well. It was the children's idea for them to wear the flowers. Her green eyes looked out from dark skin as she looked for the man the kids had set her up with.

Ah, there he was - the red rose was prominent on her coat. He actually wasn't too far away, as he had chosen to sit outside. Cienna approached, her steps silent in her ballet flats. She curtsied when she reached the table, "Hello, I'm Cienna," she took in his white lab coat and smiled, "You must be, uh, Professor... Winter?" She wasn't sure she got the name right at all, it sounded a little odd on her tongue.

And I was runnin' far away
Would I run off the world someday?
Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and
I was dancing in the rain
I felt alive and I can't complain

Sale Breed Thoughts Wishes Records Home
jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4169
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 02/19/2018 1:25 AM

Winter made himself busy by playing with his hands, studying his spiraling fingerprints and attempting to count how many times it looped around itself.  Absentmindedly, he traced a finger along one of his many calluses, probably from his long hours in the lab and working with chemicals.  He snapped his head up when he heard footsteps approaching him, quickly noticing the flower in the woman's hair.  He fiddled with the petals of his own flower absentmindedly, pushing his chair back and standing to greet her.

"Hello!"  He greeted her warmly, a genuine smile plastered on his face.  He offered his hand to her, silently thanking that she had introduced herself before they settled down.  He may have forgotten to ask for her name when he was set up.  Were you supposed to know the name of the person when you went on a blind date?  Eh, who knows.  Regardless, he couldn't help but be genuinely happy to meet her, though he had been hesitant at first.  She was pretty, rustic, looked like she had worked hard all her life, and had a kind sort of face.  From her voice he could tell she worked with children, the motherly caring tone was obvious.  Suppose he should have put more trust in his students, oh well, the day was still young and trouble still had time to show itself.  "Yes, that's me, but you can call me Xavier if you'd like, though most everyone likes to refer to me by my last name, or sometimes just as 'Professor'."  He chuckled a bit to himself, giving a shrug with one shoulder.  "Even my adopted family calls me that, suppose it just rolls off the tongue better than plain old Xavier, eh?"

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 02/19/2018 12:38 PM

Cienna smiled and sat down in the chair across from the professor. "Oh, I quite like Xavier. It almost sounds... exotic," she said warmly as she smoothed her skirt. She'd never met anyone with that name before, and she quite liked it. "I shall call you Xavier." She looked at the man across from her, taking in his white hair and that lab coat again. Perhaps she should have worn her apron. They would have made a fine sight!

As one who hadn't been on a date in years, Cienna wasn't sure how the date was to proceed. Do they ask questions of each other? To learn about each other? Or talk about the weather or the coffee? She doubted she'd be going on another date anytime soon with this man, as she was way too busy. This would appease the children, that was all. So did she learn more about him? She was lost in thought - what if something more did come from this date? He seemed relaxed, easy to talk to. Just be friendly, she told herself. Stop thinking so much.

She smiled again, mentally shaking herself from her own thoughts. She was overthinking, something she did often while she went about her chores. "So, Xavier, what are you a professor of?" The title was definitely something of interest to her, and hopefully a safe question.

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 02/20/2018 6:47 PM

Winter sat back down, still grinning at his date.  He was quite sure she had to be a mother, or at least a caretaker of children.  Her kindness and her soft way of speaking was a dead giveaway for him.  Good, anyone who was kind to children was someone he could very easily get along with.  He felt himself already relaxing.  As long as he pretended this was a get-together with a friend rather than a romantic date he could keep himself calm enough to talk with her freely.

"Oh, I've studied a lot of things in my time."  He responded with a chuckle, folding his hands under his chin and leaning his elbows on the table.  "My main studies are in biology, I do love learning about living creatures.  Though I also dabble a bit in...  Physical sciences, like chemistry and other subjects of the like."  He adjusted his thick glasses nervously, wondering how he would've define his inter-dimensional travels.  Best to not have her think he was a crazy person.  Plus, not many people quite understood the complicated language he had to use to even begin to explain his studies.  He'd leave that part of his studies out of this particular conversation.

He waived over a waiter, who dutifully readied himself to take their orders.  "I'll have a tea please, extra cream and sugar."  He glanced at Cienna with a warm smile, "Order whatever you like my dear, they have everything here."  He winked, though if it were at her or at the waiter it was uncertain.  He had a bit of a mischievous glint in his icy blue eyes.

"What about yourself?  What do you do?"

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 02/20/2018 8:54 PM

Cienna wasn't sure what he meant by 'other such subjects' but she smiled and nodded. It wasn't her specialty to know much about sciences or math. She hadn't finished high school, if she were to be honest. She could tell stories to the children, mend clothes, clean house and the like. Her smarts were definitely a different sort of intelligence.

When it came her turn to order, she settled for something simple, "I'll have a tea with a bit of honey please." She smiled to the waiter, who dashed off to fulfill their requests. Xavier seemed a gentleman so far, though his mischievous look made her think of the children who were always up to something.

"Oh, well, I'm a caretaker. There are two young children I take care of, a boy and a girl who I've raised as if they were my own. I also tend to home duties such as cleaning," she replied, her tone warm and full of love at mention of the children. She felt a little out of place with a man who had studied so many subjects - she was definitely a simple woman. "The children really are a joy in my life," she added, her mind drifting to the young ones who had set her up on this date.

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 02/20/2018 10:15 PM

Ah, too bad.  He was hoping she would order something that the place didn't carry. It would of been fun to make it simply appear for her.  Though his smile grew larger at the mention of her care taking job.  His canines were sharper than the average person's, but not in a frightening way, though they were noticeable.  "Oh, I understand what you mean, I too have found myself taking care of children that are not my own, and they have definitely lit up my life."  He chuckled to himself, though for a second or two his eyes seem to reflect a deep sadness.  Though it was gone as quickly as it appeared.  "Riley told me that she set this up with your little ones, actually.  Suppose they think we need some time socializing.  I do have to admit that I may spend too much time in my labs."

The waiter came back with their drinks a few moments later, giving them both a curt nod and telling them to let him know if either patron needed anything else.  Winter thanked him and took a sip of his tea.  Ah, could use a little more sugar, but it was nice and creamy.  He delicately took a few sugar packets out of his pocket and sprinkled them in.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 02/21/2018 12:30 AM

Cienna grinned at the mention of the children, "They are little rascals, it seems," she said with a giggle. "It seems I spend too much time taking care of their needs and the house, and anything else I can get my hands on. Adrian and Cosette feel like I don't get out enough... I wonder how my children found your Riley." Adrian and Cosette were still quite young, but she had no doubt they had been creative in finding this Professor Winter for a date.

Their drinks arrived, and Cienna took a slow sip of hers, careful to test the temperature before taking a swallow. The amount of honey was perfect - not too much, not too little. "I guess the only times I've left the house lately was for groceries," she commented softly, an embarrassed flush on her cheeks. "I feel like a shut in," she added, giggling to hide her embarrassment. Even their gardener probably went out more than she did.

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 02/22/2018 2:07 AM

Winter thought for a moment.  "It's possible Riley happened to volunteer at a place your children visit.  Do they like zoos?  She helps out at animal rehabilitation places.  Such a splendid girl, doesn't even get paid for it."  He seemed lost in thought a moment, and was tempted to brag about one of "his" many children.  They were basically grandchildren to him, though none were related by blood.  All tended to be orphaned or ignored in one way or another, all the more reason to give them love.  "I suppose either of yours could have talked of you, or her of me, and things went on from there."

He perked up a bit at her shut in tendencies, though he tried to hide his interest.  He admittedly already felt himself tiring of the quiet and normal little coffee shack, and wondered if taking her on a little "trip" would be appropriate for a date.  "Forgive me if I am prying,"  He began, choosing his words carefully, "But have you ever left the continent before?  Have you ever wanted to?"  His eyes glinted a bit, hoping that she may mention a place she'd thought of visiting.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 02/23/2018 1:12 AM

"That's a possibility," Cienna said, thinking of the times they'd gone off with the gardener on trips while Cienna stayed at home to clean. She was fortunate for the man, he loved the children as she did and would take them on trips she was too afraid to go on.

As a little girl Cienna had wanted to visit a tropical beach, but that wish had vanished a long time ago. She was practical now - she couldn't afford to travel. But Xavier was asking, and she remembered the wishes of a little girl too poor to leave town.

"Well, it's a simple wish really, one from my childhood. I've never been able to afford even a trip to the beach. You know, palm trees, ocean waves, maybe catching a glimpse of some dolphins." Her arms moved as she spoke, moving in such a way to imitate waves. She sighed, turning her eyes to Xavier, a sad, almost defeated look to them. "That was the wish of a younger me, when I still believed I could do anything."

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 02/23/2018 7:08 PM

"A beach, eh?"  Winter felt a pang of guilt in his gut.  He had lived near the beach for a while when he was younger, but never really bothered to go to it.  He never gave a thought to the fact that some people would give anything to have a chance to go to the beach.  He fiddled with his necklace a bit, it was a small almost unnoticeable thing, resembling some sort of glass crystal or vial filled with liquid.  He always kept it on him close to his chest.  He gently gripped the table with his other hand, humming lightly to himself.

"My dear Cienna, never doubt yourself.  Anyone is capable of anything they dare set their minds to.  I am living proof of this."

Though Winter, Cienna and their table remained the same and stationary, everything around them was very slowly starting to shift.  It was so subtle and slow that it was almost unnoticeable.  Like a flower growing or a sunset, you only ever noticed the change after it had finished.  The background noise too faded slowly from dishes clinking and waitstaff taking orders to the calming whoosh of water and call of gulls.  It was an odd sight, a regular looking table among fancy beach themed chairs and stools around a bar overlooking a tropical island coast, but Winter thought not taking the seats and table with them may be a bit too much of a shock.  He grinned at her, waiting for her to notice.  Sometimes it took seconds, but he had experienced entire new conversations and goodbyes before anyone noticed anything different before.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 02/25/2018 11:49 PM

Cienna noticed Winter messing with a trinket around his neck, and took it to be something of a habit he had. "You're too kind," she said gently. "I'm getting close to old maid age," she added with a laugh to lighten the sour mood she had put herself into.

She took a sip of her tea, looking into the cup and watching the steam rise, feeling the warmth on her face. When she sat the cup down, she noticed something. It was brighter than it had been before. She glanced up, thinking clouds had moved away from the sun. To her surprised the sky was sunny - no clouds. "Huh, the clouds are all gone," she said softly. When she looked away from the sky, she noticed there were other differences too. There was... sand, and palm trees? She could here the ocean and birds, and her eyes widened.

"What happened? Am I dreaming?" She didn't remember falling asleep at all. Had she never gone on a date, and she had been asleep this whole time? But Winter was still here, their table and chairs. Everything else was different. The only rationale that could explain it was that she was dreaming. That had to be it.

((Sorry for the delay, I've been inundated with school work this weekend.))

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 03/04/2018 11:57 PM

((groooooan.  You're telling me.  Sorry this took forever.  Work and classes are killing me.  Examszssss.  Still not all done.))

Winter released his grip on his necklace, allowing it to slide back down and be hidden beneath his shirt again.  He had a silly grin on his face, the one a child would have when excited to show their mother their new macaroni art.  He tried to make himself more serious, this was a big deal after all, bringing someone into an entirely new reality was no easy task, but he couldn't keep his goofy grin off of his face.  Part of him was surprised, he never really tried doing this before.

"You are free to pinch yourself, but you will find that you are wide awake."  He chuckled, allowing her a few moments to soak in her surroundings.  In the meantime, he waved over a waiter, this time a completely different person, who seemed a little confused at the new patrons, and a lot confused at the table that didn't match the rest of the place.  He ordered a piña colada, no alcohol.  He never liked the stuff, no matter how many places he visited.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby jobiehanna » 03/13/2018 12:43 PM

"Not a dream?" Cienna was still a bit confused by their change of location. But Xavier insisted that this was not a dream, and she believed him. "How... how did this happen?"

She was still wondering when a new waiter came over, who looked as baffled as she felt. Having never been to such a place, she had no idea what to order. "I'll, uh, have what he's having." She didn't even try to pronounce it. The word was foreign, but she hoped the drink was good.

She glanced out toward the sea and was amazed at how beautiful it looked. Since this was real, she'd be able to dip her feet in the ocean. She'd wait until their drinks came before she suggested they leave the table, but she was thinking about what she'd like to do. Maybe there would even be seashells on the beach!

((Saaaame. So many projects due I'm just dead most days. I'm so sorry I took forever.))

Nobody knows
Nobody knows, and

jobiehanna
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items