Welcome to Aldrect! Here you'll see vast, towering buildings of pure alabaster and marble, and the business of the townsfolk. The religion of the Holy Triumvirate was begun here, and in the center of the city is a grand fountain of the gods. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Aldrect, the Holy City

Re: Blind Date: ??? x Chamomile

Postby ToxicShadow » 02/21/2017 5:00 AM

Chamomile nodded her head in agreement. While the reaper's blunt choice of words didn't soften the potential blow, she was already aware of such things at least being a possibility. It was simply that she figured there was no reason to worry about things that might not even happen.

If she hadn't already thought he couldn't take a joke, well, she was certain of it now, but she smiled, anyway, as she reached for his drink and took a sip. He had offered, after all. As she expected, it was sweet, but that really went without saying. The ghost only took a small drink before setting it back down. "It's delicious! Thank you."

When he posed his next question, she quietly considered it for a moment. "Just about anything that involves two people can be considered a date, if they want it to be. Outside of eating, lots of people go to movies, go shopping, or maybe they'll go to interesting places. Like a theme park, an aquarium, a zoo, maybe the beach. The possibilities are endless."

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2824
Donate

Postby crow » 02/21/2017 5:26 AM

"There is no need to thank me," said the reaper, but at least he didn't sound confused this time. He eyed the drink as she returned it to him, as if he was the one having doubts about its contents now, but he took a dubious sip himself despite whatever misgivings he may or may not have had. Sweet it might have been, but it was less so than the cake pop had been, and the flavor that spread across his tongue was more tangy than anything. There had been a rather liberal use of cream, but at least the strawberries themselves were fresh. He could never abide by the artificial syrups that had become the vogue.

He paused to consider her answer, taking another small bite of the cake pop as he did. It felt somehow rude not to finish it, and it wasn't as if he disliked it. "Is the requirement truly merely that it must involve two people? I suppose the head count is necessary given the purpose, but I thought there would be more regulation to an event whose end is to facilitate marriage." As he understood it, even non-marital bonds of a romantic nature were of grave importance to humans. Much of the conversation he had had with the dead focused on such matters.

It brought him to another question, one that genuinely hadn't occurred to him until then, mostly due to his initia shock at Chamomile's nature. "Why have you come to a blind date? Was this... some regret of yours, perhaps?" He had seldom heard of ghosts attempting marriage, or romance for that matter, but she had already proven herself unusual in other ways.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 02/23/2017 1:01 AM

"Not necessarily," Chamomile admitted, and she found herself chuckling a bit, at the notion that dating was strictly for marriage. The way he viewed it, dating, and marriage, were likely only for the purpose of procreating, in the end, if she had to take a guess. These days, it was an incredibly outdated view of the world. Or, perhaps, one that was skewed from his own lack of understanding and experience.

"There aren't many rules to it at all. Well, there aren't any written rules. There are... normalcies, perhaps, but even that may vary depending on the area's culture," she began to further explain. "Dating doesn't always come with the purpose of finding a marriage partner. Some might date with no intention of getting married at all. And blind dates, those usually exist without any real commitment at all. Nor is it set to only just two people, although that may be considered most common."

Honestly, she was spending more time explaining things than anything else, but Chamomile couldn't say that she hated it. Having company was nice and, if she were being perfectly honest, this was probably better than being paired up with someone that might actually be interested in her romantically or otherwise.

When she finally got around to his next question, she shook her head. "Nope. I seriously doubt that my regret involved love, or lack of it. Let's just say... It's not easy for someone like me to meet people, and it's lonely always going out to places like this by myself. I just wanted some company for a little while."

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 02/23/2017 1:59 AM

"Ah," said the reaper. "That is good. I was afraid I would have to disappoint you." The 'you' in this case had been a more general, theoretical you. Reapers were forbidden from forming close bonds with mortals. They were forbidden, now that he thought about it, from forming close bonds with the deceased too, from doing anything to prevent them from passing on. It simply hadn't occurred to him that he would be encountering anyone other than the living. "Truthfully I am not here of my own accord. A... colleague made the arrangement on my behalf, and I was given to believe it was courtesy to show my face, even if it is to no end." He took another sip of his  drink, thinking of that particular colleague, and how he had been much too fond of spirits for someone whose role required impartiality. But that colleague was his elder, and no one had yet spoken of dismissing him, so he must have been effective despite his vices.

Company, however, he could offer--- not on any permanent basis, of course, but for now. "Are you not visible?" he said. "Could you not merely make acquaintances in the normal human manner? Forgive me for my questions; I am not often away from my job." In fact, he wondered how she knew so much when she claimed not to remember her life, how long she must have been undead if that were true.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 02/23/2017 2:32 AM

Chamomile partook in both her tea and the cake pop, until the latter of which was entirely gone, throughout their conversation. She still had a good bit of tea left, though, since she drank it slowly. Hearing that he hadn't chosen to be here on his own, by this point, didn't come as a surprise. She'd gotten the feeling that things had been arranged for him, on his end, since he seemed entirely unfamiliar with the concept and practice of dating, or what it may or may not have implied.

So, she nodded her head. "I'm thankful for the company. That's all I could ask for." Really, she expected absolutely nothing else. "I suppose it would be possible. I do talk to a lot of random people on a regular basis, but I don't attempt to form any lasting connections. I don't invite them out for tea or coffee. Once I say good bye to a person, the same day I've met them, I don't make a point of trying to come into contact with them again. After all... I don't know how long I'll actually be around." And it wasn't fair to a living person, should they become attached to her, platonically or romantically, to be involved with a ghost. For all she knew, she would be here one day, and gone the next.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 02/25/2017 12:00 AM

What Chamomile told him visibly surprised the reaper, and he made no effort to hide it. Perhaps it did not occur to him to hide his shock. Whatever he thought of ghosts, it was not this. "Your existence sounds... much like my own," he said, as if puzzled by this development. Of course, the rationale was slightly different; among the reapers, the distance was enforced, and the purpose of it was primarily to protect their impartiality. They were allowed to associate with each other, within reason, which was more than Chamomile had, it seemed. From what she had said thus far, it didn't sound as if she had other ghosts like herself to turn to.

But it had never occurred to him that the isolation could be a burden--- he could choose to associate with other reapers, and did not. He had, in his own way, prided himself.on his lack of ties. It was a kind of cleanliness, to be able to conduct himself efficiently, and without fear of the mental and emotional clutter the others risked. He had never minded.

"You are... doing this for their sakes then, not your own," he said. It should have been obvious, but it was hard for him to fathom.

There were more questions he wished to ask, but there were rules to this sort of thing. Tact. He didn't possess much of it, but even he knew it would have been out of line to ask her what the purpose of her existence was. He took another sip of his drink, and said something else instead.

"What else does one--- No, what do you wish to do today, on this... blind date? I am... free, to accompany you, until we part ways."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 02/28/2017 11:29 PM

Ah, that was probably the most of a reaction that she'd gotten out of him. Chamomile found his surprise surprising, as she didn't think it was that interesting or shocking of an answer. Apparently, that wasn't the case, though. Hearing that they were alike, that wasn't something she expected, either. "Is that so?" What made them the same, and what made them different, then? Well, from what she read, there was a theory that reapers were once normal, living people, too. Was that true? But the ghost wasn't sure if she should ask so, for now, she didn't.

She nodded her head. "I do like helping people, like finding someone's pet they've lost, or cheering up someone that's sad and sitting alone, which is... how I usually meet people, but that's about the extent of it. Hanging around someone, I can't do that. I want to make them happy, not make them sad." And losing someone that became a friend was sad, but meeting a kind, helpful stranger was enough to brighten another person's day.

When the reaper guided the conversation back to their date, Chamomile smiled. Her first instinct was to blurt out a place she liked to go, to a library. That wasn't very date-like, at least not a good place for having conversations, and it was a place she could go to comfortably, even if alone. "Oh, what about... an amusement park? There is one nearby, so I've wanted to go, but... it's not really a place where people go alone, so I haven't gone. But if we go together, it should be fun!"

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 03/02/2017 12:35 AM

An... 'amusement park'. The word sounded very vaguely familiar, as if it were something he should have heard of before, but couldn't really remember. Unfortunately, nothing concrete came to mind, and he could only guess at what such a park would entail. Clearly it had nothing to do with death, which was probably a good thing, considering the fact that people went there to amuse themselves.

"I am not opposed, but... why does one not go alone? Is it dangerous, perhaps?" There were plenty of things, so he'd heard, that were quite dangerous enough without being able to kill you. And perhaps some of those things could be hazardous to ghosts too.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous