Variety seems to be the style of the western region of Desuna. Much of the south is exceptionally flat and has aptly been named the Vast Plains, as the land seems to roll out endlessly. If you reach the northern ends of the plains though, trees begin to appear, growing larger and thicker until you're surrounded by the Roraldi forest. Trees get more sparse toward the north, unable to grow in the surrounding permafrost.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Desuna

:. Amanormativity Conspiracy [zap/Omni]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/14/2018 10:18 PM

It felt like not so long ago, he never really came here. He had only heard of it from his dad as this place where he worked all the time, but without really getting to know the place for himself. His dad didn't like him being here, either, and he couldn't really blame him. If you visited the hospital, it was usually because you were sick or not feeling well. In his case, though, it was to have a conference call with his therapist who lived in the next town over that was about three hours away from here. With time, he had grown more comfortable being here, and his dad had learned to appreciate seeing him more often.

He had just finished his conference call, and he'd bid goodbye to his dad moments before. He was heading towards the exit now, where his partner waited in their car to pick him up. It felt like a regular day as he walked down the halls and waved at whoever he recognized. The more often he came, the more people he got to meet and recognize.

He wasn't all that far from when the exit when he caught a glimpse of one doctor he knew relatively well. She'd worked with his dad for a while in the psychiatric ward, and with the circumstances, they had met and spoken a little before. She was a charming young doctor, and he appreciated her sweet, friendly personality. "Doctor Bannister!" he called out, diverging from his path to walk towards the doctor, one arm raised up high to wave happily. "Hi! How are you?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Re: :. Amanormativity Conspiracy [zap/Omni]

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/14/2018 11:14 PM

Jennifer had just been making her way back to the lobby from her lunch break, but didn't look like she was in a huge hurry. Quite the contrary, she was walking at a leisurely pace, hands in her pockets. She'd grown quite used to the hospital by now, in the couple of years she'd been working there, though there were obviously new surprises almost every day. But she'd gotten quite good at taking them in stride, to say the least.

Like this surprise, for example! "Victor!" she exclaimed, eyes lighting up when he called her name and waved to her. She hurried up to him, closing the distance between them in record time. "It's great to see you! Here to see your dad?" she asked, tilting her head with a smile as she stuck out a hand for him to shake. She paused, then realized Victor wasn't a doctor, and instead offered her arms open in a hug. She'd been so used to meeting stuffy people and conversing with the 'higher-ups' that she forgot hugging was a totally normal and acceptable greeting. She supposed it was better than getting it confused the other way around. A brief vision of her hugging the superintendent flashed across her vision, making her chuckle.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

[2]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/15/2018 9:14 AM

Victor had known Jennifer for almost two years now; he'd met her one day while she'd been assigned to help his dad in the psych ward. He didn't always see her every time he came around, but he had interacted with her often enough to be comfortable with her — even though, really, it was easy for him to feel comfortable with people. She had seen him going through his transition — something that was still ongoing, of course — mostly his speech therapy, where he spoke a bit deeper now — a voice that was a bit more masculine.

He was going to return the handshake at first, but he paused when Jennifer spread out her arms instead. That was definitely more his style, and he didn't need to be told twice before wrapping up Jennifer in an embrace. "It's good to see you too!" he said as he hugged the doctor for a greeting.

"And, well, kinda," he added as he let her go, and as he smiled sheepishly. "I really come here to have my appointments with Spencer," he explained, and then he corrected himself. "I mean, with doctor Russell." He was relatively confident everybody knew them as Spencer, but Victor knew referring to them by their honorific was also the polite thing to do.

"What about you?" he asked, right before clarifying, "I haven't seen you in the psych ward in a while." Not that he could blame her, considering the place. He wondered how his dad even worked there period, sometimes.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/16/2018 12:12 AM

Jennifer's eyes lit up with recognition once Victor mentioned Dr. Russell's name. "Right, right! Speech therapy, right? That's awesome. You have a really confident air about you lately," she said with a small shine of something like pride. At his question, she laughed slightly, just a bit embarrassed. "Yeah, I sort of jump around different departments nowadays. I help there when I can, though," she said, looking just a little bit melancholy. She'd grown a bit fond of working there in her formative years as a new doctor, even with all of its twists and turns and challenges.

And Elliott. She tried not to smile slightly as she shook her head to clear it. "How's your dad doing, anyway? I feel like I haven't seen him in awhile."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

[3]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/16/2018 12:32 AM

Victor's smile got bigger when Jennifer mentioned his speech therapy and his air of confidence. He wasn't sure if he believed it, but it was still nice to hear. "That, and other things," he clarified concerning his appointments, but without going into detail. His phone calls with Spencer had gotten serious, lately.

He tilted his head when he noticed Jennifer looking perplexed. He couldn't figure out why, at that moment. Maybe the fact she kept being dragged around between departments? Maybe just being tired from the hard work?

"Oh," he mused when she brought up his dad again. "Oh, dad is..." He hesitated for a second. "He's okay," he finally said, giving Jennifer a bit of a sheepish smile. "You know how he is, he's still living in the psych ward and working all day, every day," he added with a small laugh. None of it was a lie, but there was no denying that his dad hadn't quite been the same ever since... that.

"But, um," he said quietly as he tilted his head with a bit of concern, "are you really okay?" He wasn't going to pry if she didn't want to tell him, but he would listen if she wanted to vent or confide in somebody.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/17/2018 3:25 AM

Jennifer nodded, almost knowingly, as though she'd expected as much. "'Living' is a good word to use--I hope he took my advice to try to get more rest after I was transferred out... since then, we haven't talked very much." She blinked at Victor's concern, a sheepish flicker in her eyes. "Oh, I'll be fine, for certain. Please don't worry," she laughed, giving him a thumbs up. "I'm doing what I love--that's what matters."

Even so, at his question, she did pause. She was quiet for a moment, face looking a tiny bit warm in thought, before she ran a hand through her wavy hair and smiled. "Well, I suppose one thing--tell your dad to say hello, when he finds time in his busy schedule. I think I miss the grouch." She winked at him with a smile, showing she didn't mean any harm--her blush was a little bit visible, though. "Wonder if he misses me, ever. Hah!"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[4]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/17/2018 1:23 PM

It didn't surprise Victor much that his dad hadn't kept in touch — he could barely keep in touch with his family, with the amount of work that he did. He'd like Jennifer, though, from what Victor could remember. None of it was personal — especially since... then... his dad had been even more adamant about getting people transferred out of the psychiatric ward. It was messy.

The more they talked, though, the more the conversation seemed to shift. Victor stared as Jennifer's face slowly started to change, and on top of what she was saying... He narrowed his eyes curiously for a moment, assembling all the pieces. "I can tell him, sure," he offered, but then he couldn't help but to add, "But you... miss him?" It was interesting to hear. He knew his dad ruled the psych ward with an iron fist, and those who were transferred out rarely missed him, or the ward, as a matter of fact.

"If he misses you?" he also echoed, and his eyes squinted even more. Was she blushing on top of it, too? His brain was working on double speed for this. "I mean, he said you were fine, back when you worked with him." Perhaps "fine" was normally a lackluster compliment, but coming from his dad, it was an amazing one. "He doesn't really open up," he said, but then he added, "Or, well, not since recently, he didn't."

" But why?" His curiosity always took the reins in this kind of situation. She was missing his dad, and she wondered if he missed her, too? And she was blushing a bit? Two plus two still equalled five in his head, but it was slowly rounding down to four. "I mean — why are you wondering if he misses you? And why do you think you miss him?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/17/2018 6:55 PM

Jennifer looked increasingly embarrassed at Victor's questioning, though she kept it under careful wraps behind a smile. "Oh, you know, as much as I could miss someone like him, you know..." she tittered, waving a hand slightly, as if to wave away whatever assumptions Victor might be making. Now her flush was obvious, the smile even faltering a little for something more uncomfortable (but not so much that it was hostile or standoffish--just a kind of delicate shame). It felt terribly strange to be having this conversation with the man in question's son of all people.

She took a deep breath, regaining herself, patting her own cheek ever so softly and glancing off to the side. "I suppose... back when I was working with him, I had a bit of a crush on him. It's very silly, isn't it? Very. Thankfully it's compleeetely gone now, yep. I honestly don't even think about him that much, or what he's doing."

She was silent for a few moments, face pink, then laughed, a kind of forced, awkward thing. "A-anyway I suppose you have a ride to catch...? Don't--don't read too far into that..."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[5]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/18/2018 2:08 AM

Victor questioned Jennifer because her wording had made him wonder if there were something more there. With his dad, though? It was a bit of a funny scenario, considering his dad's view on the whole romantic topic. So he'd written it off as him being sappy—

— she had a what? His mouth opened just a bit the further they got into the discussion. Strangely enough, he shouldn't have been surprised — a lot of his dad's problems had been because of his charm, that charming, rich young man that a lot of women found incredibly attractive. Still, this was the first time he'd seen it — or rather, that someone had admitted it to him.

He bit his tongue to avoid saying anything out of line. He wasn't judging Jennifer in any way — in fact, his brain was working overtime to try and figure this out. It was in his nature to help, and if Jennifer really did miss his dad that much, and if she really had had any kind of feelings for him, well—

"Oh, uh," he said awkwardly when she pointed out that he probably had a ride to catch, "d-don't worry about it," he assured her with a large, sheepish smile. "Lucas knows I get caught up sometimes," he added with a bit of a laugh. "But, um..."

"Listen," he said, "dad and I are going out after Valentine's Day to catch some of the deals," he explained, and he shuffled his hands timidly as he spoke. "We're going to be in the small marketplace in town to check out the little shops. You know, that little strip of shops just outside downtown?" It was a very well-known area to many, and it was a great place to visit during the summer. It was still cold out there, but it was mild enough that walking outside wasn't all that bad.

"So, I mean..." He hesitated for a second, rubbing the back of his neck and laughing sheepishly. "I was just thinking, if you happen to be in the area on that day..." Was it a formal invitation to tag along? Well, yes — as subtly as he could make it. He didn't want to put Jennifer on the spot, either, or force her to do anything she didn't want to do.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/18/2018 5:00 PM

Jennifer paused in her frantic rambling, her face warm as she stared at Victor and tried to process what he was saying. Was that... an invitation? A brief, small thing inside of her wondered if it was out of pity rather than anything else... but then again, if that was the case, Victor didn't have to mention that he and his dad would be around a certain place and that she could probably show up there, too. Her brain was spinning a bit, a little bit woozy from even having admitted to having any sort of feelings for her previous coworker.

"I know the place," she mused, finding a smile and folding her arms over her chest. "Alright, then... alright..." She was quiet for a moment, sheepish as well, then winced with laughter. "Sorry, I'm rather awkward about these sorts of things when they just slip out. I'd... be happy to, ah... 'be in the area' that day."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[6][1]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/18/2018 5:31 PM

Jennifer seemed uncomfortable, but her answer made Victor smile. She could've rejected his suggestion, too; but if she really did miss seeing his dad, he was happy to share him. Getting him out of work was hard enough. "Cool!" he said when Jennifer agreed that she might just be able to "be in the area" on that day. Plus, Jennifer wouldn't have to stick around the whole time, either. If she became uncomfortable or had other engagements, she could leave after a little bit. Victor was just happy to give her an opportunity to see his dad again.

"I'll keep an eye out for you that day, then! It'd be fun," he added, shaking his head when Jennifer apologized. "And don't be sorry! I'm happy to help," he assured her. "And I like hanging out with you!" She was really one of the doctors he knew the most, and she had been there for him during... that time, too. In a way, it was an opportunity for him to thank her, just a tiny bit.

"I better go," he said after getting this little plan figured out. "Lucas is gonna get mad at me," he said with a small laugh. They wouldn't, because they were too gentle for that, but Victor didn't want to make them wait any longer. "I'll see you later, then!" he said, and he smiled brightly, referring to them seeing each other on that day, most likely. With that, he waved and made a dash for the exit.

It was so very uncommon for him to be outside and not at work simultaneously. Especially in this wintery weather — as mild as it was today — he wasn't all that ecstatic about being here.

For his son, though, he was willing to sacrifice a lot. Especially now, more than ever.

"It's so mild today!" Victor said as they started walking down the sidewalk, looking up at all the small family businesses that lined up the street. "Right? Isn't it nice?"

His dad stayed bundled up, sporting a long, elegant, soft black coat, with matching leather gloves and winter shoes, and with a blue scarf for good measure. "Not bad," he said, glancing this way and that, eyeing the stores. There were a lot of banners that offered deals and sales further to Valentine's Day — the worst day of the year as far as he was concerned, ugh — which was exactly what Victor had wanted to check out today.

"What do you want to do?" his dad asked, looking down at his son.

"Shop!" Victor said, with a smile, and then he added, a little bit quieter, "And hang out."

There was a little bit of a tense silence between the two of them. His dad looked away for a moment. "Whatever you want," he said quietly, but without making eye contact.

It was enough for Victor, though, who smiled wider at his dad's answer. "So let's get going!"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/19/2018 12:24 AM

I like hanging out with you. It had been those words that had given Jennifer the courage to come that day, to know that she was wanted there, whether her motives be less than virtuous or not. She wasn't sure if it could be considered 'virtuous' to find an excuse to see someone who she might have had a crush on once, and it was certainly gone, certainly.

So why had she chosen a dark blue dress, black stockings and a dark coat with faux fur cuffs to protect against the windchill? She could've just worn a top and slacks, surely, if this was casual. And it was casual! Yes!

She found a little table in the inner part of the marketplace, right outside a shop entrance, and sat down quietly with her purse in front of her. She'd keep an eye out for them as best she could, without drawing too much attention to herself.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[7][2]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/19/2018 12:38 AM

With a little bit of reluctance on his dad's part, the two started walking down the street of shops. Jewelry, furniture, toys — there was a whole row of different merchandise on this street. The variety was what attracted so many people here all year round, on hot and cold days alike.

His dad was letting Victor pick where he wanted to go first. While his intention was definitely to shop today, he was also keeping an eye out for Jennifer. She'd sounded interested in coming out to spend some time with them today, and he didn't want to run the risk of missing her if she did come.

With his dad patiently waiting for him to make up his mind, Victor got to find the first stop of the day. "Hey, dad! Look!" he called out as he pointed to a young woman sitting by herself just nearby. "Isn't that doctor Bannister over there?" An innocent question on his part, as far as his dad was concerned. The execution of his invitation, as far as Victor was involved.

His dad stopped and stared at his curiously before looking up and squinting. He was silent, and for a split second, Victor thought he had mistaken someone else for Jennifer. "It looks like her," his dad said.

Victor immediately felt relief. He could recognize Jennifer's wavy hair at the hospital when it was matched with the professional labcoat, but he had never seen her outside of work. "We should go say hi!" he said, and before his dad could say anything, Victor was already making his way towards the young doctor.

"Wha..." his dad mumbled before he realized what his son was doing. "Victor! Wait!" he called out, going after his son, but by the time he caught up to him, his son was already interacting with his coworker.

"Doctor Bannister!" Victor called out happily, waving an arm in the air. "Doctor Bannister! Hi!" He was glad she'd decided to take him up on his invitation. He hoped getting to see his dad again, and in a relaxed environment, would be nice for her.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/19/2018 3:59 AM

Jennifer looked up as soon as she thought she heard familiar voices, and she wasn't quite ready to adjust her expression past anything but surprise. Finally she found a grin, which came naturally after a moment, despite her spike of nervousness in her chest. Honestly, she'd never been nervous around Elliott before--why now? She was glad Victor was there. His presence was more grounding, even after everything.

"Hi Victor!" she called, waving her hand in the air and standing up on impulse when he approached. For a moment she forgot her nervousness, content to chatter with Victor for a moment before Elliott had fully approached. "How are things? Long time no see," she joked, winking, then looked up at Elliott, her expression faltering only a tiny bit to something a little more surprised. "And hello to you, too," she said, catching herself and smiling, sticking out a hand to shake after a moment of awkward hesitation.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

[8][3]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/19/2018 9:46 AM

Victor noticed that Jennifer hadn't offered a hug this time around, but he attributed it to nervousness. Either that, or she was embarrassed to hug him while his dad was just behind him. He noticed that she looked surprised for a split second, but he was glad to see her smiling once he'd reached her.

He laughed when she joked that they hadn't seen each other in a while. "Yeah, it's been a while!" he retaliated, and it had given his dad just enough time to catch up. "I'm good, though!" He felt the need to answer the question. After what had happened, he felt like he needed to tell people that he was fine. Even if he wasn't at one hundred percent, things were a lot better.

When Elliott approached, Victor stepped aside just a little bit. His dad shot him a curious look, as if he couldn't understand why his son had run off to greet one of his dad's coworkers. It had been done, though, and now he had no choice but to interact, as well. "Ah, yeah," he said initially, moments before Jennifer offered a handshake. There was hesitation from him as well, but he eventually returned the handshake - even though it felt weak compared to what one would have expected from him.

"Hi," he finally said, greeting her properly. He sounded quieter than before. After that incident, he had become even more reserved with his coworkers. The only ones who had seen a significant change in his personality had been his partners, and none of it had been beneficial to their relationship. Rumors were that he still lead the psychiatric ward with an iron fist, though some said his mood had gotten worse - easier to anger, harsher, more intolerant of mistakes.

From this perspective, though, he seemed to be relatively the same as before, if only a little bit more soft-spoken, and perhaps, just a little bit more awkward.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Next