Variety seems to be the style of the western region of Desuna. Much of the south is exceptionally flat and has aptly been named the Vast Plains, as the land seems to roll out endlessly. If you reach the northern ends of the plains though, trees begin to appear, growing larger and thicker until you're surrounded by the Roraldi forest. Trees get more sparse toward the north, unable to grow in the surrounding permafrost.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Desuna

Capital Proposal [Adelie & Isalynne]

Postby Adelie » 02/15/2018 9:08 PM

The jacket was a little threadbare, maybe; the tie knotted carefully to hide a faded sauce-stain and the shoes - well, he'd tried his best with the scuff marks, and if his best wasn't good enough, such was life.

Close enough, he reassured himself in the mirror. He didn't look quite entrepreneur, but he didn't look like some kid slumming it out on the streets, either. Wouldn't cut it with some stuffy venture capitalist, but he was just going for lunch with a friend - or at least, someone he hoped he'd be able to call a friend soon enough.

The restaurant was only a few minutes' walk from his apartment. A neatly-dressed waiter greeted him at the door, took his reservation, and directed him to a small table with a tablecloth and a tiny glass vase sporting a droopy pink rose. God, it was all so fancy. He'd specifically picked a restaurant that didn't offer tacos or pizza for the occasion - a conciliatory gesture to avoid conflict of interest, he supposed - but now he just felt awkward and out-of-place.

Well, nothing to do but wait, now.
and if you ask how i regret that parting:
it is like the flowers falling at spring's end
confused, whirled in a tangle.

what is the use of talking, and there is no end of talking,
there is no end of things in the heart.

ezra pound, exile's letter
zoo pen | journal | wishlist
Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2255
Donate

Re: Capital Proposal [Adelie & Isalynne]

Postby Isalynne » 02/17/2018 2:30 PM

Luca was feeling nervous, and that was a first.

Most things in his life were met with an easygoing, can-do attitude, without too much thought thrown in. It had always worked out for him to the positive in the past. Now, though.. a new venture was potentially coming his way, joined by a partner for the first time, and he wasn't sure what to do with himself. His hands shook with nerves as he hastily buttoned up his best shirt, and he almost knocked a few people over on the way to the agreed restaurant in his gangly-legged clumsiness.

How would things pan out from here? He couldn't tell. Winging it, as per his standard, felt suddenly inappropriate. It was too late to go back, though - he was approaching the table with no plans in hand and nothing but an open mind, and if that was going to put his friend off.. then so be it.

"Hi!" He did his best to be outwardly sunny and conceal his nerves, offering a handshake despite his trembling fingers. Fake it til you make it. It was a valid philosophy. "What's up, man? This is a nice little place."
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1615
Donate

Postby Adelie » 02/18/2018 8:11 AM

From the amount of small, bright-winged creatures currently fluttering around his stomach, you'd think this was a romantic date, not a business meeting.

He'd have to get used to it, though. The man standing in front of him looked put-together and neat - better than him, in his opinion - but he also looked friendly and casual, with none of that stiff, almost-condescending formality common to established businessmen who wouldn't give you the time of day if you didn't speak their lingo.

My opportunity to lose, then, he thought. Optimism, tempered by concern.

'I'm glad you like it,' he began, returning the handshake. Oh, that didn't sound right - it sounded like something you'd say if you owned the place, which was certainly untrue and implausible. 'I tried to find somewhere both of us would enjoy,' he amended, and realized he hadn't let go of the other man's hand.

This was going wonderfully so far.

He extricated his hand, hoping it wasn't abrupt or awkward enough to be noticeable, and tried a different tack. 'Anyways, I'm really glad you could make it today. I've been looking forward to this meeting for so long. Should we order first, and then talk?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 02/27/2018 3:55 PM

Luca was so wrapped up in smiling and remembering to breathe like a normal human that he hadn't even noticed their handshake going on for a fraction too long. In fact, he looked surprised when his new friend released him, and slumped into a seat like a puppet with cut strings. The tension appeared to drain from him quickly once he was sat, though; his long thin legs splayed almost comically apart and he itched at his neck beneath his shirt collar.

"Please. I'm starving, dude," He confessed. It was true that he had an appetite, but equally, he wanted to be able to stuff his mouth so he didn't have to speak for a little while. It would give him a chance to think and consider the best way to approach the matter at hand without looking like a total idiot. "Skipped breakfast today."

His courtesy extended to waiting for the other man to sit before he opened his menu, but he was soon absorbed in it. What was he feeling? It was exciting to try a new restaurant, but choosing a dish took forever.

"Have you ever eaten here before? Got any recommendations?"
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 02/27/2018 8:56 PM

'Well, that sounds good,' he said, fiddling anxiously with a menu. Oh, not this again - skipping breakfast wasn't something you usually wanted to congratulate people on. 'I hope the time for this meeting was okay?'

He still felt oddly stiff. Funny, really - he'd been scared of meeting someone who'd look down on him, and yet this guy's attitude and actions were open and casual to the point that it was throwing him off somewhat. Almost ... bro, for lack of a better word. Hopefully he didn't come off as too formal or worse, too anxious.

The menu provided convenient refuge while he recollected himself. Honestly, he'd forgotten what cuisine this restaurant offered; when searching, the only thing he'd considered was that it didn't have tacos, it didn't have pizzas, and it didn't look too shabby. Now, looking at the menu, he was faced with a veritable storm of numbered selections, labelled in a language he was distinctly unfamiliar with. 'I'm not sure how familiar you are with Thai food,' he said. He wasn't, at all, but he'd had enough take-out experience to make some educated guesses. 'I've never been here before, but I think the noodle dishes are usually a safe bet.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 02/28/2018 5:51 PM

Luca was quick to dismiss the other man's concerns about the time of the meeting, waving his hand in a flippant gesture without looking up from the menu.

"Yeah, it's fine. I'm not a breakfast kinda guy, but my mom used to force it down me. Most important meal of the day and all," He said, keeping his tone friendly and conversational. Hopefully it wouldn't be too obvious that he was trying to sound approachable. "So I kinda got into that routine. Even if it's just some toast or whatever. Don't realise how sensible it is until you go without it."

He was the first to admit that he wasn't too educated regarding Thai food, and -- damn, he hadn't brought his glasses. The English print beneath the Thai characters was difficult for him to read, but he did his best, bringing the menu comically close to his face to be able to process what was being described.

"Pad Thai is pretty awesome, but panang chicken curry sounds good too.." His voice trailed off at the end, until he caught sight of the appetisers and sides on the opposite page. "Should we get some prawn crackers or something? Sharing is caring and all."
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 03/01/2018 6:31 AM

'Those both sound like good options,' he said - not that he had any idea if they actually were good options at this particular restaurant, but it seemed the appropriate response. For his part, he flipped aimlessly through the menu pages - if he ever managed to open a serious restaurant, he'd make sure the menu fit on a single page - while skimming the names and descriptions. 'I'll probably get the Pad See-Ew myself, I think.'

Having said that, he found himself at a bit of a loss. He honestly hadn't planned this far ahead - or more specifically, he had planned this far ahead, but the moment he'd sat down all his thoughts had gone straight out the window. Reading the menu was a good delay tactic, but he'd gone and ruined it by coming to a conclusion too early, and now he had nothing to say and no plan to broach the important topic at hand.

Well, guess he could just sit here and stare awkwardly at the other guy. Wouldn't be weird at all.

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 03/07/2018 11:18 PM

Luca was quickly at a loss in a similar fashion. What was he supposed to say? Now that the mild chatter about dinner options had dried up, it left only one thing to do - move on to the real reason they were both there. The business venture. Even as a man relatively established in his small pizzeria, he didn't feel like he had any right to be chatting about the technicalities. Where was the waiter? Surely--

Ah. Their server approached the table shortly afterwards, and he was quick to put in his order, panang chicken and a soda. Prawn crackers for sharing, for good measure. After they'd taken the other man's order and left to get drinks, he drummed his fingers on the table, then looked up with an awkward smile.

"So, uh.." A nervous itching of the back of his head. "The -- the idea, you mentioned to me, in email. Have you considered where you might wanna go with it?"
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 03/08/2018 2:36 AM

The server arrived, which provided a temporary distraction; the server took the other man's order and then his, which provided a temporary distraction; and then they were left with nothing else to do but business.

God, he'd been so excited about this beforehand - why, now that they were actually sitting face-to-face, did he have this feeling of utter dread in his stomach? This didn't make logical sense.

Thankfully, he didn't have to make the first move, but that just meant the easy conversation opener had been taken. 'Well,' he said, scrambling for time. 'The dream is to establish ourselves as a business.' That didn't say much - that had already been covered in the email he'd sent. 'I mean - technically that's already the case. You've established yourself in the pizzaria context, I've established myself in the taco truck context. But that's only local. If we want to move beyond this small town, the easiest way to do it is to work together.'

He inhaled, exhaled sharply. One step done, many more to go.

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 03/09/2018 5:59 PM

Luca let out a breath he didn't realise he'd been holding, and nodded. It was a relief to see that the other man was equally nervous, but a shame, too - he wouldn't wish that desperate, worried feeling on anyone. What could they do to relieve this mutual tension? It was obviously hindering their ability to chat like regular human beings.

"You're right. I think the first step, though.. is to chill a little," His words melted into a quiet laugh at the end. "God, my heart's going ten to the dozen. We're both in the same boat, let's take a step back a second."

It was a bold thing to say. If his new friend was actually a strict businessman who didn't take kindly to his efforts to diffuse, the whole thing would go down the pan. Somehow, though, he doubted that was the case.

"I love your food, man. So good."
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 03/12/2018 2:59 AM

Oh, thank god - or whatever deity was on duty today. Thank tacos. This guy understood.

'Okay,' he said, a little more nonchalantly than he'd intended. Closing his eyes momentarily - and hoping his new friend didn't particularly mind - he pictured the future he was looking for in his mind. Himself, standing in front of the flagship store for the gourmet taco chain, Taco Bird. Himself, celebrating the opening of the first international franchise store; himself, accepting an entrepreneurship award for creating a business that gave back to the community in both economic and epicurean ways. Just a fantasy, for now, but one he found both grounding and inspiring. 'Okay. Thank you.'

He wasn't sure what to say next, though, but the other man provided a convenient starting point. 'Really?' he said. 'That's great - what's your favorite filling? What about sauces?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 03/13/2018 8:54 PM

Oh, thank god. The other man didn't appear to be offended at all - in fact, he looked just as relieved as Luca felt. The weight was rapidly lifting off of his shoulders. He smiled, properly this time with genuine pleasure behind it, at the opportunity to talk about food. Of course that would be the way to make a less severe atmosphere.

"You know, people keep telling me that pineapple doesn't belong in some food, especially pizza, but.. pineapple and red onion in a taco, man," He said in a conspiratorial tone, giving a thumbs-up to emphasise his point. "Especially with pork. So good. Pineapple gets a real bad reputation, but it's great."

The waiter was bumbling back over with their drinks order. Luca took his with a grin and a cheery 'thank you', not hesitating to take a long swig.

"Hot sauce gives things a good kick. I might just have a weird palette, though. What about you? You must have something you dig above everything else."
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 03/13/2018 9:22 PM

'Hmm,' he mused; it wasn't an expression of confusion, but rather one of not knowing where to start. Naming a single favorite taco filling? Was that even possible? Every taco had its merits, its place, its perfect permutation of filling and sauce and shell to make it just right.

'Honestly, I love them all,' he confessed. 'I'd say - well, I'm a fan of the classics, really. A good lengua taco, tender enough to melt on your tongue but full of that deep, rich beefy flavor, or crispy, fried suadero with chopped cilantro and onions and this amazing - what's the term? that savory flavor from the browned bits you get when you grill the meat just right.'

He paused, almost for breath, and leaned in animatedly. 'Not to say I don't like creativity - I tried out this bulgogi-style taco filling recently, and it's definitely a product I want to offer. But there's something to be said about the traditional recipes, honestly.'

He'd been monologuing and he hadn't even noticed it - it was just too easy to talk about tacos. 'How about you? You mentioned the pineapple on pizza debate - what are your thoughts on the best pizza toppings?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Isalynne » 03/13/2018 9:41 PM

Luca was trying not to look too amused by the other man's raw excitement. It was a good thing, that he was enthusiastic about his business and his food; it would have been a bitter disappointment to meet someone who didn't give much of a damn either way. There were interesting flavour combinations being mentioned, and he made a mental note to check them out next time he was craving Mexican food.

"Yeah, you know, I've heard a lot about Korean inspired tacos lately!" He nodded along as he spoke. "Man, the Koreans are good with meat. That sounds kinda.. well, you know what I mean."

Of course, the pineapple on pizza debate was a topic that made him laugh. So much animosity over a simple topping choice. It was still on menus all over the world for a reason - because people liked it and it tasted good! It didn't matter to him whether or not people could handle the concept of fruit on a savoury dish.

"Y'know, once, I had goat's cheese and apple on a pizza, and it was delicious. I think everyone needs to be a little more open to new flavour combinations. You can't go wrong with the classics, but stuff like avocado and butternut squash has its place too. If you do it right, it's amazing."
Isalynne
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 03/14/2018 1:15 AM

'Yeah,' he said - not that he was agreeing to anything in particular, but rather to the atmosphere of the whole thing. Honestly, it was great being able to talk about this with a friend; if he thought back, he might've concluded it was silly to have been so worried in the first place.

Honestly, he'd never really understood the debate over pineapple on pizza - it was just a flavor, wasn't it? Pineapple made a lot of taco fillings better; it seemed perfectly logical for it to have a place on pizza. Not all combinations with pineapple worked out, but that didn't mean it was always wrong. 'Honestly, that does sounds delicious,' he said. Butternut squash - he hadn't even thought about trying that, but it had the right kind of flavor and texture to be an interesting filling addition. And avocado - well, guacamole was already a staple, but it opened up some interesting possibilities. 'I've got to try something like that, one of these days. What would you recommend pairing with avocado?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items