Variety seems to be the style of the western region of Desuna. Much of the south is exceptionally flat and has aptly been named the Vast Plains, as the land seems to roll out endlessly. If you reach the northern ends of the plains though, trees begin to appear, growing larger and thicker until you're surrounded by the Roraldi forest. Trees get more sparse toward the north, unable to grow in the surrounding permafrost.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Desuna

My School Battle Shounen Is Wrong As I Expected! [A&Thunder]

Postby Adelie » 02/16/2018 5:53 AM

subtitled. ~I Keep Being Reincarnated in Other Worlds as the Hero, But This One Seems Perfectly Normal?!~

'...and in polar coordinates, the coefficient of theta is equivalent to the number of loops the graph makes. When this value is two, we call it a lemniscate...' In the second-to-last seat by the window, Hajime twirled his pen and sighed.

Things had made a lot more sense when he'd been hit by a truck. You could get used to it, y'know? After the fifth or sixth time you'd been hit by a truck and transported into another world, you started catching on to the cliches. There were only so many different variations on 'oh mighty hero, we have summoned you to rescue our world from certain doom!' you could encounter.

You couldn't get used to trignometry. Especially if - well, it was kind of hard to keep up with your studies when you just kept on falling into summoning circles or getting hit by trucks or having beautiful raven-haired princesses follow you around until you agreed to bail out their country.

Things had made sense this time around, at least to begin with. Transported to another world as a high school student? Oh, it would be some kind of magic high school scenario, where this ragtag band of teenagers would be forced to Battle the Forces of Evil and Save The WorldTM. Along the way, the student council president would probably be revealed to be working for the villain all along, but luckily, they could change her mind with the Power of FriendshipTM.

Or that's how things were supposed to go.

Three weeks later he had experienced a fat load of nothing. He was probably failing history, some old fogey kept ranting about cardoids in math, and despite sneakily following the student council president home several nights, he hadn't picked up anything more suspicious about her than the fact that she unironically enjoyed durian. It was all unabashedly normal.

Things hadn't been normal for him for a long, long time. He kind of missed that kind of feeling.
and if you ask how i regret that parting:
it is like the flowers falling at spring's end
confused, whirled in a tangle.

what is the use of talking, and there is no end of talking,
there is no end of things in the heart.

ezra pound, exile's letter
zoo pen | journal | wishlist
Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2255
Donate

Re: My School Battle Shounen Is Wrong As I Expected! [A&Thun

Postby Thunder » 02/21/2018 2:37 AM

On the other hand, things were a little too normal for Sakura.

As a magical girl, Sakura was used to strange things occurring in Downtown Wasabi all the time, like that one day when Johnson-kun got upset and rampaged around a cafe in his motorcycle-turned-mecha-suit. But for a few weeks now, nothing unusual had happened. There were no monsters to save the city from. There were no scoundrels committing crimes. There weren't even any silly pranks going around Cherry Blossom High. The normalcy was almost...unnatural. And Sakura had a theory about what could be causing it.

She glanced over at the new student sitting in the classroom. Hajime had arrived at Cherry Blossom High just three weeks ago--roughly the same time the normalcy started. She suspected he had some kind of aura that negated any weirdness around him. Of course, she'd considered that it could all just be a coincidence, but there was something about him that made her refuse to believe that. His sudden appearance at the school had to be some kind of machination of The Plot.

Maybe, she thought, I should get to know him better. And then I can figure out what's going on. She decided she'd introduce herself to him after class and willed for the boring lecture on trigonometry to go faster.

Twenty minutes later, the class was done. The students were let out for lunch break, and as everyone else filtered out of the room, Sakura headed over to Hajime's desk. "K-konnichiwa!" she stammered, giving him a small bow. "Um...you're Hajime-kun, right?"

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Adelie » 02/21/2018 4:51 AM

He'd started doodling absently n his notebook as the lecture went on - not trignometry, of course, but the last alternate world he'd been summoned to had this really unusual magical notation, and the Demon King in that world had really enjoyed putting the schema of his spells on large plaques for enterprising heroes to decipher. A variation on the classic 'monologue on your grand plan to destroy the world' trope, he supposed.

One half-completed magic circle for summoning toast later - not that it would work in this world, he'd tried - his thoughts were interrupted by the bell. Lunch, at long last. Just as he was collecting his supplies and about to put his notebook in his backpack, he was approached by a girl.

How does she know my name? Maybe she's important in some way? Then his brain kicked in and filled in the gaps - her name was Sakura Something-or-Other, she was a student in this class, and generally seemed well-adjusted and normal, just like literally every other student in the school.

So, not particularly important. Not for his definitions of important, at least.

Still, if he was right and he might finally be stuck in a normal universe - it would be good to make friends and maybe finally live out that rose-colored high school life.

'S-sakura-san, hello,' he said, a little awkwardly. In his original life he'd never been particularly good with people and that still hadn't improved significantly. 'That's me. What do you want?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 02/21/2018 4:14 PM

Aside from seeming a little nervous, there wasn't anything really strange about Hajime's mannerisms, Sakura supposed. For all she could tell, he was just a normal high school student. But then again, this was the first time she had ever talked to him, and first impressions weren't always right. It'd take some time to get to the bottom of this.

"O-oh, I just thought I should introduce myself," she replied, giving him a smile. "I know you're new to the school, and you probably haven't met that many people yet...so I figured I'd say hello! Um, maybe we could eat lunch together and talk? We could go to the rooftop. There's a pretty nice view of the city from there."

As soon as the words left her mouth, Sakura realized, with a slight blush, that what she said could be taken the wrong way. Oh no! I hope he doesn't think I have a crush on him! The only one for me is Gaston!

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 02/21/2018 11:03 PM

The girl wanted to introduce herself, allegedly. Normal people didn't wait three weeks to introduce themselves - he practically couldn't be considered a new student at this point. He didn't get lost on his way to class, he'd memorized the names of all the teachers and important student figures, he hadn't actually made any friends but it wasn't like there was anyone worth making friends with here.

Thus, there must be something nefarious afoot. Something that might cause unusual behavior, stammered introductions, invitations to lunch given bashfully behind a shy smile.

Oh god, she definitely has a crush on me.

'Thanks,' he said. Turning her down would be the best option here, for both of them - especially if he were wrong and she was just plotting his death by accidentally falling off the roof; and it would maintain this peaceful-but-boring life of trigonometry and disappointing English class grades, just like how things should've been. 'I'd be happy to eat lunch with you. You might have to show me the way to the rooftop, though.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 02/22/2018 9:44 PM

Sakura couldn't really tell what Hajime was thinking. Whether that was a good thing or a bad thing, she wasn't sure, though she supposed that a student who suddenly came in during the middle of the school year had to have something mysterious about them. At the very least, she was glad that he was willing to eat with her. That was step one out of the way.

It wasn't surprising that he didn't know the way to the rooftop already; that was a hidden gem of the school that people usually only figured out after spending some time at Cherry Blossom High. "Oh, of course!" she said. "Here, follow me." She grabbed her backpack from her desk, and after making sure Hajime was following her, she headed out into the hallway, made a left turn, and then a right turn at the end of the hall.

There was a door there that opened up into a stairwell, which took them straight to the rooftop. As she emerged onto the roof, Sakura was greeted by sunshine and a blast of fresh air. It was a great day to eat up here, and a few other students were already doing so. Sakura headed over to her favorite spot, the side that overlooked the east half of the city, and sat down on the floor. She beamed at Hajime as she got the bento she packed out of her bag. "It's great up here, isn't it? How are you liking things so far?"

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 02/23/2018 2:08 AM

Down the hallway, up the stairs, through the door to the rooftop - honestly, he knew the way already. Knowing your environment was common sense, and one of the first things he'd done in this world was scout out the entire school - including the 'Seven School Wonders' and the little broom closet where the world history teacher kept her collection of confiscated unsavory literature. On second thought, that was probably one of the school wonders as well.

But it was common sense, too, to allow others to underestimate you and give them opportunities to show how they reacted to certain situations - thus, allowing Sakura to show him the way to the rooftop. That ... was how you negotiated friends, right? The same way you negotiated with tyrants and bishops and crazy people who thought summoning high schoolers to save the world was a good idea?

Maybe he was overthinking this a little.

'It really is nice,' he said, extricating his lunch from his bag. Even if he'd been here before, he'd never eaten lunch here, and he hadn't really paid attention to the view, either. 'The city, too. The weather's really nice - at least, it has been as long as I've been here - and there's some really nice cafes in downtown.'

She probably didn't mean the city when she'd asked how he liked things, though, and he quickly amended that. 'School's ... okay, I guess. Still adjusting to things, really. How about you?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 03/01/2018 3:19 AM

There was a little flutter of pride in Sakura's heart as Hajime expressed his enjoyment of the city. Sakura loved her hometown--how could she not, as its Plot-designated protector? So whenever someone new came to the area, it always delighted her to hear that they loved it too.

"Heehee, I'm glad you like it!" Sakura laughed. "Oh, if you like cafes, maybe I should show you the Kawaii Neko Cafe sometime! It's this cat cafe that got fully renovated recently. The old one was, uh, kinda destroyed in a big fight."

She genuinely did like showing people Kawaii Neko Cafe, but she'd also dropped that little detail about the fight on purpose, hoping she'd be able to glean something from the way Hajime reacted to it. She didn't want to say too much more, though, considering that she'd been personally involved and didn't want anyone to start suspecting her of being the magical girl at that battle. Keeping an eye on Hajime's expression, she started digging into her bento, popping a bit of tempura sweet potato into her mouth.

"As for school, it's all right. I mostly just like Sensei-sensei's class. He's the one who teaches world literature, and he's a really good teacher, but he's also got this kind of cute, nerdy vibe. To be honest, I like the clubs more than the classes. Which reminds me, I think there's going to be some big, school-wide thing for Valentine's Day soon."

Oh, darn it! Sakura thought as soon as the words left her. I spoke without thinking! Now he'll REALLY think I have a crush on him! Flushing, she stuffed a wad of rice in her mouth to stop herself from sinking into an even deeper self-made hole.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 03/02/2018 2:00 AM

'The cat cafe?' he asked, scraping his mind for the memory of something similar. 'Kawaii Neko Cafe' didn't ring a bell, exactly - and he'd think he'd remember a name like that - but he did recall walking by a brightly colored storefront with a cat motif, somewhere downtown. 'The one across the street from the bookstore, I think? I've never been inside, but it definitely looks interesting.'

What was more interesting was the mention of the cat cafe being destroyed in a fight. This could very well be the clue he was looking for; cafes didn't get destroyed as a matter of course. 'I didn't know about the fight, though. Was it before I moved here?' he asked, trying not to betray his interest too much. She didn't seem the type, but if she were the agent of some unknown force, he didn't want to attract too much attention before he'd figured out what was actually going on.

Information on Sensei-sensei's class was less interesting, especially on the 'cute, nerdy vibe' he might have. Hajime had certainly noticed nothing of the sort. 'Is there really? Honestly, I haven't had the time to look into club activities - I keep meaning to, but I've been putting it off.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 03/13/2018 11:44 PM

Hajime's interest in the fight didn't tell Sakura all that much, to her disappointment. It was a pretty unusual event after all; curiosity was a normal reaction. But maybe if she kept talking, kept hanging out with Hajime, something would eventually reveal itself. "Mmm, yeah," she replied. "People say there was a giant robot involved. Pretty crazy, right? I know there was that joke robot fight with America a while back, but having a robot in a real fight?" Sakura shook her head in disbelief--but not really, since she knew it was a thing that actually happened.

"But anyway, you should totally go look at some clubs! They're really fun. I'm part of the art club, myself! Maybe I could take you to check out the Valentine's event? It kinda doubles as a fair for all the clubs to advertise at."

Now Sakura had more or less given up on trying not to sound like she was asking this guy on a date. It was as if The Plot was willing her to speak in this way.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 03/14/2018 3:44 AM

Giant robots? This world had giant robots?

Hajime suppressed the mental hurrah under all the indifference he could muster - it was just a rumor, after all, and a mention of a joke robot fight didn't mean too much for real events. But that was the first tangible evidence that something interesting was actually going on here, and honestly - giant robots were a breath of fresh air after Generic Demon Lord ${integer}.

'That's crazy, yeah,' he said. He couldn't think of a good way to gather information without rousing suspicion - so he tried another approach. 'Giant robot, huh? I used to be into those TV shows when I was a kid,' he continued with a bit of a laugh. 'Wonder if anyone caught it on camera - would be really cool to see.'

At her question, he inwardly groaned a little - honestly, he didn't care about this date or whatever she was trying to invite him on; he just wanted to know more about the giant robots. But at the very least, she was proving to be a useful source of information and he really wanted to know more. 'I'd really appreciate it if you could show me around,' he said.

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items