Welcome to the Dead Coast, home to the world's largest bucket of salt! Located nearest the Re'nee Sea, this small port-city is home for all opportunists who would gather the sea's salt deposits left on the shores and sell them for profit. (+2 to Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Dead Coast

Insert clever title [Language] Self

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 06/23/2015 12:54 AM

Flopping his head onto the other side of his pillow Knox slowly let his eyes close again until his brain registered what it had seen, the clock that sat on his bedside table read 8:25.

“Shit!” came flying out of his mouth as he attempted to untangle himself from the sheets. As he stumbled out of bed his foot got caught in his blankets and he went crashing to the floor. “Holy mother of fucking Jesus!” he yelped as he got up and pulled on his pants and his button up school uniform shirt. He thought screw the tie and socks, Knox pulled on his shoes and haphazardly made his way out of the dorm heading towards his first period with Professor Atheris.

Hurrying down the hallway he tried to push his hair into submission while he thought why this always had to happen? Without meaning to he would end up late for class at least three out of the five days of school. Knox wasn't cut out for early mornings, he was an insomniac and so he naturally always ended up snoozing in late or during class. The sun (more accurately the artificial sun) always made him sleepy and he knew why. Knox had the power to control darkness he just wasn't very good at it.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1248
Donate

Re: Insert clever title [Language] Self

A quiet class sat, scribbling away looking at their desks only to peer up at the board every once in a while to retrieve the next sentence of notes. However all their heads rose at the same time when they heard, “who puts a god damn bench in the fucking hallway, those stupid shit heads don’t they know it’s a hallway not a sit way. Someone in a hurry is bound to fucking run into it!”

Seconds later the door opened and a calm Knox walked into the room, took a glance at the Professor and made his way into the back and sat down in his normal seat.
The Professor cocked an eyebrow from where he sat at the front of class, “so Mr. Knox how do you really feel about those new hallway benches.”

Knox turned bright red and his eyes grew wider at the realization that everyone had heard him ranting to himself, “sorry professor.”

“Don’t apologize to me, I’m not offended, but those benches could have some hurt feelings," with that the class chuckled, “the assignment is on the board, and remember since you were late”

“I know I need to be here after school for detention.” Knox interrupted as he pulled out some paper and a pen. He scanned the board, they were learning about another war from another time that happened in another country. As he started to write his mind wandered other places, why did they have to learn about this war? Isn't there more important things going on that they should learn about? Like learning how to control one's power. He knew he wasn't the only person in the school that could control his... what had the headmaster called it... oh yeah a 'gift'. Knox rolled his eyes at his paper, more like a curse.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

After school rolled by fairly quickly and Knox was already making his way down the hall towards his first period again. He was far more bummed out because of again another failed attempt to control his ability with the professor who taught the self defense class. Knox never knew why it was called defense especially since every chance the professor got he would tell the students to never use their abilities unless they absolutely had to.

He of course was now in a little less of a hurry and tiny bit less angry but as he passed it he still glared at the bench sent from hell. He was going to a have a bruise by the end of the night and he didn’t enjoy that. There had been a couple sitting on the bench as he passed it and it wasn’t until later that he realize that they had thought he was glaring at them… oh well.

He opened the door and stepped inside, this time it was empty besides the teacher who was in the back of the room by all the books that lined the whole back wall. The books were in some places stacked odd, in other places they would go from being a row to being stacked up on top of each other, and wherever there seemed to be an empty space a book had been crammed into it.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 06/23/2015 12:55 AM

Without looking away from the books the professor asked, “so why were you late and in such a bad mood?”

“I had overslept... again and woke up on the wrong side of the bed so to speak,” Knox scratched the back of his head awkwardly when he remember that they had heard him complaining that morning.

“Oh okay, so it had nothing to do with an innocent bench?" Professor Atheris finally turned around and looked at his approaching student wearing a smile.

"It could have maybe had something to do with that..." Knox trailed off sheepishly.

Still wearing his smile Professor Atheris started off on a more serious matter, "well I want you to organize all these books so they go in alphabetical order of the authors last names. Starting from the left side.” Knox’s face fell when he realized just how much work that would be. “Have fun,” Professor Atheris added and walked out of the room.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 06/24/2015 12:59 AM

Knox sighed deeply and walked heavily to the bookshelf that covered the whole back wall. Out of all of his teachers Professor Atheris was the strangest, not just him but also his room. It was very…dingy he wasn't sure if that was the right word to use. He was the school's history teacher and he had many weird things hanging and laying about his room. He had some shrunken heads hanging near the front and odd runes written in fancy writing on part of another wall. There was ancient burial items laid out along with old spears and arrows from the jungles. It was all very creepy, however he was his favorite teacher.

The professor was the most laid back out of the whole staff and he could be quite funny on occasion. The rest of the teacher always seemed to act as if they were here for high purposes than just teaching. Professor Atheris sometimes looked as if he sometimes had to drag himself to class. Those were the good days when instead of him teaching from a book or notes he would tell the class of one of his past escapades.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 06/24/2015 12:59 AM

He plucked the first book off the shelf and made to remove all of them first so he could then sort through them by author. With a large stack in his arms he placed them on one of the vacant desks and moved to go grab more. The door opened and in stepped the Professor but he was accompanied by a few other men that he didn’t know.

“Oh come on Jazz it wouldn’t be like you would have to stay committed to the lady," a man with no color in his eyes said.

Professor Atheris responded, “Hurricane, firstly no. Secondly I have a student in here so can we keep this talk for later.”

The man rolled his unseeing eyes in response and followed the Professor into his office along with the other men. The door shut and Knox frowned at what he just experienced.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 06/24/2015 1:44 AM

That was interesting, it was always an odd experience when a student gets to see his teacher in a real life situation. He knew that teachers had lives outside of school but it was still weird. Knox quickly shook it off though and got back to work.

The 20 day war between the creatures of Loch Berma: 1702
By: Martha Finch
The fight for witch’s rights: 1340’s
By: Argus Skullbody

The books sounded so boring, who in their right mind would teach history. His eyes swiveled over the door that the men had entered and hadn’t returned from. It was already late and he was almost done what could the guys be doing?
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 06/24/2015 4:38 PM

Hours dragged on, one book after another after another. The later it got the more await he became, also the more curious he got. He looked down at what he had left, it wasn't much. He quickly stuffed them on the end shelve and quietly made his way towards the door. He pushed his ear against the door to listen but all he could hear was low mumbles. Knox twisted the door knob ever so slightly and let it open just barely enough for him to hear and if he squinted he could sort of see them.

They all sat around a table, it seemed his teacher had rearranged his private office into what looked to be a poker room. As soon as the door opened he could hear rowdy laughter and friendly banter.

The one that Professor Atheris called Hurricane started to speak more clearer than the rest trying start a large scale conversation, "so Jazz when are you heading out for Wilt'no Desert?"

"Tomorrow night, I've got it cleared with school," he answered as he checked.

"Isn't there a war happening down there right now?" another man asked that sat to the professor's right who Knox just realized had the first name of Jazz.

"Yeah Mavis, there's a war over the sun. That's sort of why I'm heading down there. The group that just came into power has acquired an ancient magic that has stopped the nights from coming," he let out a sigh, "I fold," he threw his cards into the middle of the table.

A man with pink hair smiled triumphantly and pulled in his winnings, "are you going to bring anyone with you?"

Jazz paused, " I think I have someone in mind..."

Hurricane laughed, "is that someone the same one who is spying right now?"

All the eyes in the room turned to the cracked open door and Knox scrambled up and back to the back of the room as fast as he could.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 08/23/2015 1:30 PM

The pink hair man laughed with the rest of them but he was the only who was making a move to get up, “I think it’s about time I head back to the guild. I need to get this money to Hellen by morning.”

“See you around Maurice, let’s just hope it isn’t with you taking all my money again,” Jazz joked.

Maurice chuckled and gathered his winnings and stepped out of the office and into the classroom, he scanned the area and noticed the kid in the back of the room trying to act inconspicuous. He walked over to him and sat on one of the desks, “don’t worry you’re not in any trouble for spying. Hurly was just trying to scare you.”

Knox looked up at the pink haired fellow and let out a sigh of relief, “do you know how much longer they are going to be in there?”

“I can’t imagine much longer since I pretty much wiped them clean,” he smiled proudly. “If you are planning on leaving I would wait,” he added.

“Whys that?”

Maurice shrugged, “just because.” He moved to get off the table and leave, “trust me on this, stick around.”

Knox slumped into one of the chairs and drummed his fingers on the desk as he watched the odd man walk out the door. He decided not to leave like he originally planned, if he wasn’t in any trouble and he finished what he was asked to do he didn’t see any reason to stick around. Except now what the pinked haired man said peaked his curiosity just enough to sit around and twiddle his thumbs.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 08/23/2015 1:31 PM

Knox watched the clock for half an hour before the men decided to file out of the office, they toppled through the door and let out slurred jokes to each other, all to hammered to really understand each other so they just laughed. His professor – Jazz – was the last out of the room and he shut and locked the door before turning around and seeing his student sulking in the back of the room.

“Oi, Knox glad to see you still around. I have a proposition for you?” he walked over and took a seat next to him.

“And what is that?” he asked glad that him sticking actually led up to something.

“I’m taking some time off to go somewhere and I was wondering if you wanted to join me?”

“Am I allowed to go?” he questioned not sure that the headmaster would just let a student leave campus with a teacher.

“Sure, I’ll take to the headmaster and get it cleared before you leave. A little fresh air could do you some good,” his professor joked.

“Just where exactly would we be going?”

“Some place hot, I was asked by a relative to go there and try to fix a problem that happening. I think you could be useful,” he shifted in seat so he sitting up straighter.

“I overheard. The place where the sun doesn’t set,” he remember over hearing that part of their conversation earlier.

“Yup I think I could really use your help.”

“Because I control darkness, you do realize that I suck at it, right?” it was true every time he tried to use his magic it would never go as planned and normally he would blow the lightbulbs that were around him.

“True but some real action might be able to help you, plus you could help a lot of people if you are successful,” Jazz stood up and patted Knox on the shoulder, “think on it tonight, or what’s left of it. If you decide yes you’ll be excused from your classes tomorrow because we will leave tomorrow at sunset and we will be up all night. It’s best if you sleep all of tomorrow.”

Knox stood up with a whole new expression, “sold! Why didn’t you say that sooner, if you wanted me to come you should have started with that.”

Jazz chuckled as he watched Knox collect his stuff and when he made it through the door he flicked off the lights and closed his classroom door, “see you tomorrow night at eight, and don’t be late.”
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 08/26/2015 5:15 PM

Hot sticky air whipped by Egypt as he cruised down a dusty, pothole infested road. It was mostly desert around yet the hot sun still found something to burn with its blistering rays. Smoke hung heavy in the air and with the amount that he had breathed in during the few days he was here could equal that of smoking two packs a day.

His motorcycle weaved and wove its way around the dangerous holes that litter the road on its way to a small airport that probably should not be considered one. Egypt rarely ever got in touch with his brother. They were never on the right side of each. His brother Jazz, took a more... noble approach to a career. Unlike himself who without meaning to created a very powerful group of, putting it lightly here, treasure hunters. His brother was a teacher who taught magical history and always found a reason to call him a thief or dirty scum.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 08/29/2015 8:05 PM

However on occasion they could come together and agree on some things. Like at this very moment a large kingdom nearby had recently been overthrown and a magic stone which the kingdom has for many generations kept sacred is now being used by some, in his opinion, dumb idiots. The sacred stone has the ability to make the sun set, however this area has not seen the moon for sometime. He contacted his brother a while ago explaining to him what was going on and they both agreed something needed to be done.

So here he was pulling up to an old airplane landing strip that hadn't been in use for sometime due to the fact that nobody wanted to come here. The building that used to house the visitors as they waited for their planes had been overthrown by the deserts vegetation. Which mostly contained an array of cacti and dirt. Some of the windows were missing or completely dirt caked to the point of not being able to see through them. The watch station which was the tallest building had its windows broken out all around and a large nest was made on one side from a large predatory bird, most likely a vulture.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 09/01/2015 4:58 PM

He turned his chopper off and kicked the peg down leaning his menacing bike to the side. Finding an old cargo crate he pulled it closer and sat down on it. Reaching into one of his many pockets he pulled out a worn deck of cards and started a game of solitary. By his fourth game he could faintly hear the low hum of a small plane slicing its way through the smoke. Soon it was screeching down the runway until it came to a stop not to far from him.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 09/04/2015 12:42 AM

Knox attempted to stretch his legs in the small area that he had in front of his seat. They were in a small plane headed toward Wilt'no Desert. He looked over and saw Jazz leaning back in his seat sleeping. He didn't know how his teacher could sleep, this was the first time he had been on a plane and he was very uneasy. His stomach all of sudden rose into his throat when the plane started to decline. He grabbed ahold of the side rests and prepared himself for the landing. The whole that was happening Jazz never woke up.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 09/04/2015 12:43 AM

It wasn't until they were on the ground and the pilot, Obsidian announced it was okay get off the plane that Jazz woke. He blinked a few times and looked out the window, "oh we're here already." He grabbed his bag and handed Knox's his as the climbed out of the plane. "Thanks Obsidian for the lift, I owe you one," he said before closing the plane door. They stood there a minute and watched the plane take back off and into the air before turning around to the only other person that was there beside them two.
CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Next