Be it to the north or south, Basantha is characterized by harsh climates most Lambastians prefer not to trek. To the north are the frigid Fe'gan Mountains, Lambastia's highest and coldest peaks. Further south you'll encounter the arid expanse of the Wilt'no Desert, where most life only comes out during the night. Travelers find little escape to the west, even though the Tuun Mountains aren't quite as harsh.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Basantha

Wildland Explorers :: closed

Postby QuirkyRabbit » 09/26/2008 9:36 PM

Firefly the Dreamsnare Yonyuu

The evening sunlight streaked through the leaves. Firefly carefully placed a paw upon the soft forest floor. She had spent the day exploring the forest, and desperately wanted to find a place to rest her feet. Then, she saw a wide clearing in front of her. It was very quiet, and she saw no one else there. 'Okay,' she thought, 'Finally, I can rest here.'

As she was about to step into the clearing, she heard a rustle from among the trees behind her. She whipped around. "Who's there?"
QuirkyRabbit
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 138
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/26/2008 10:32 PM

"Hey!"

The dark reptile was startled by the dreamsnare yonyuu--perhaps he had overestimated the power of his camouflage.  He launched himself up in the air from where he was hovering, tiny wings fluttering quickly, near the ground, puffing himself up as he did so.  It was a natural defense mechanism, something most Nagi did to look fierce.  The red and yellow stripes on his short, relatively plump body flared brightly as the sunlight hit them.

It was all a false pretense to make himself look scary, though the fact that he was about the size of the average stick probably didn't help with the impression.  Really, he was quite nice, but right now, the dreamsnare yonyuu looked particularly threatening, and he wasn't entirely sure if this creature would be a threat.  Once, he'd had someone try to bite his tail--perhaps a little variation on his own habit of nibbling on strangers.

He was a generic Nagi in his habits and personality.  There was nothing truly unique about him; if he was an essay, his writer would have been accused of plagiarism.

((By the way, it helps if you post the pet you're role-playing with's picture, because when you decide to adopt more, you can't exactly stuff them all in your siggy.  ^^ The first paragraph was written before I noticed Millie posted, so it could be discontinuous?))
and if you ask how i regret that parting:
it is like the flowers falling at spring's end
confused, whirled in a tangle.

what is the use of talking, and there is no end of talking,
there is no end of things in the heart.

ezra pound, exile's letter
zoo pen | journal | wishlist
Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2255
Donate

Postby QuirkyRabbit » 09/27/2008 9:18 AM

((Millie: No I don't mind. No one's called me Rabby before XD))
((Tazzin: Yeah, good point. I have a few more but haven't stated playing with them yet, guess I'll just add my pet into the first post in future. Thanks! And don't worry, I'll just, er, attempt to merge the two XD))

Firefly turned towards the Lucain, relieved that he had been friendly, but a little cautious of his strange accent. "I'm sorry if I startled you," she said, "My name is Firefly. I'm tired and I need a place to rest." As she padded towards him, she saw that he was actually about a foot taller than her. "Yeah, it's a lovely forest." She paused. "Actually, I'm a little lost."

Then, out of the corner of her eye, Firefly noticed a streak of black, red, and yellow fly out of the grass. "Oh!" she jumped. Then she looked closer, and saw that it was a Nagi. "Who are you?" she asked.
QuirkyRabbit
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/28/2008 9:36 PM

((Eee--lack of Millie. D:  Oh hey, that rhymes.  And just so you know, my little Nagi babeh's paranoid, so he occasionally thinks someone's doing something they're not, i.e. paragraph 2.))

Puffing himself up a little more, as if that was possible, the little nagi proclaimed, "My name is--" he paused for dramatic effect "--Jory."

He wasn't sure if he saw it or not, but everyone who'd heard his name had snickered in some form or another, politely or impolitely.  In fact, he was sure that he could see a smile forming on the yonyuu's face.  "Yes, I know it sounds like a girl's name.  I know.  Don't you /dare/ laugh."

The energy it took to hover in the air was exhausting, and the nagi gave up and plopped gently onto the ground, muttering a complaint as he went.  "Dang stupid wings...always giving out on me just when I wanted them to actually work for once.  I should really go out to the gym Mei keeps on recommending."

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby QuirkyRabbit » 09/29/2008 10:06 AM

Firefly quickly bit her lip. She shouldn't be laughing at the Nagi, even though he was much smaller than her, and he did have an... unusual name.

She lay down on the grass next to him. As the sun set, Firefly's eyes began to close.
QuirkyRabbit
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/29/2008 5:32 PM

Oh, so she fell asleep?  Now what was he supposed to do?  The impatient nagi slithered around the yonyuu, debating the best way to wake up a large, winged, dimly glowing creature.  "Great Zu'hai!" he finally shrieked, giving up after several attempts involving poking, nibbling, and tail-swatting, and slithered off.

A few feet later, he reconsidered.  He couldn't leave the yonyuu just sleeping there like that; it wasn't safe and who knew what wild talis were lurking out in the woods, just waiting to strike.  Sighing, he moved carefully back.  When was this dang yonyuu going to wake up?

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby QuirkyRabbit » 09/30/2008 1:52 AM

Firefly's eyes flicked open. The sky was completely dark. She made a small ball of foxfire, which lit up the clearing where she had been lying.

The Nagi, Jory, was still sitting (if legless Nagis could be considered to sit) beside Firefly, looking expectantly at her. Had he been up the whole time? She slowly stood up and looked around. Then, she realized why it was so dark.

Firefly turned to Jory and said, "Do you want to find somewhere more sheltered? I think it's going to rain."
QuirkyRabbit
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/30/2008 9:44 PM

"Oh, so now you're telling me?" he replied, rather snarkily.  "Would have been nice if you'd said that a couple hours ago, when it was actually raining."  Jory eyed the foxfire slightly suspiciously, as he always had a dislike of creatures who could summon strange magical things out of thin air.  Of course, it was probably just jealousy--he had never managed to do something amazing like that, even though he'd even watched a fine demonstration by a kind (read: not having anything better to do) Meji.

Looking up at the sky, he considered for a moment, little wings fluttering for a split second.  "Well, it might rain again, so sure.  By the way, do you have any idea what time it is?"

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby QuirkyRabbit » 10/01/2008 5:10 AM

"Well, I think I might have seen a cave somewhere around here. But I'm not sure where it is, it's easy to get lost in this forest."

Firefly stood up, and shook the leaf litter off her pelt. She drove the foxfire before her, to light the way. It did occur to her that she could see more from the air, but the storm would break soon and she didn't really want to take the risk of getting struck by lightning. She turned around to look at Jory. "Are you coming?"

((By the way, this is my fifth post so I guess we can close it after you make the next post. Unless you want to continue?))
QuirkyRabbit
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/01/2008 7:47 PM

((How about you?  I don't really mind--and besides, after 5 posts, if you want another role-play, you don't have to close the old one unless you want to use the same character.))

"Do you want me to?" asked the Nagi.  "Or was that a rhetorical question and you're just expecting me to follow you?"  He shifted slightly in order to flatten the flat blade of grass that was tickling his underbelly--it really was lousy not having limbs, as you couldn't exactly scratch itches.

Ignoring any comments the yonyuu might have made, the Nagi added, "There's also a town nearby, but it's pretty far.  That cave you mentioned will probably be closer, and I could use somewhere a little warmer.  Being cold-blooded seriously sucks."

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby QuirkyRabbit » 10/03/2008 1:38 AM

((Let's continue then. Why not? XD Wish more people would join, though.))

'Well, I've just about had it,' thought Firefly. As far as she was concerned, Jory was making no sense at all. So she ignored his sarcasm and walked ahead into the forest, not once looking back to see if the Nagi was following.

After quite a while of trekking, a drizzle set in, and Firefly thought aloud, "Just great." One part of her wanted to go back and see if Jory was okay, but another part was still sick of his attitude. She stopped for a moment, then continued walking.
QuirkyRabbit
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/05/2008 3:05 PM

((Don't you just /love/ Jory's attitude? x3))

Well, it wasn't like there was anything better to do--sitting in the rain for hours had seriously muddled his sense of direction--so the Nagi followed.  Unfortunately, slithering along a muddy bank was rather tiring, and it was far slower than a trekking yonyuu.  After a few minutes, he had already slipped behind the yonyuu.

Debating the relative merits of continuing to follow Firefly or just collapsing and dying, he concluded that it was possible that the yonyuu happened to know where she was going, though the fact that it was taking /this/ long seemed to contradict that.  Putting on a little extra burst of speed, he followed, trying to flap his wings a bit in order to actually keep up.

And with the advent of the drizzle, well, Jory hit a particularly slippery patch of mud and slid forward until he was right in front on Firefly.

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby QuirkyRabbit » 10/09/2008 8:37 AM

As Firefly walked on, she saw the cave she had seen earlier, carved by nature into the face of a large hill.

Then, Firefly saw something out of the corner of her eye. She looked down, and saw the mud-covered Nagi. Sighing, she finally decided to give him another chance. "Come on, the cave's over here." She bent down and gave Jory a gentle nudge in the direction of the cave with her nose.
QuirkyRabbit
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/10/2008 7:38 PM

"Thank Zu'hai," the Nagi muttered, attempting to brush mud out of his eyes with his tail and failing miserably, as tails are not the most effective tools for removing mud.  "Gosh, it sure looks nice after all of that mud."

To his eyes, close to the surface of the earth, the cave looked like a giant, gaping hole in the fabric of time and space, big, oval, and very, very comforting to a rain-soaked, muddied Nagi.  It would probably be warm, cozy, and far less wet inside, a welcome refuge from the rain, which was being to intensify, the raindrops splattering the ground and making tiny holes in the mud from their force.  Hopefully there wouldn't be anyone else inside that cave.

"So, you want to head in first or should I? You know, just in case there's a bad-tempered, fire-breathing Paragon lurking?"

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby QuirkyRabbit » 10/12/2008 9:40 PM

Firefly stopped short. Jory had made a good point; what if there was already something in that cave? She squinted her eyes to see further into the cave, but there was nothing there.

She turned to Jory. "I don't think there's anything in there." Then, holding her breath, Firefly made a few cautious steps into the cave.
QuirkyRabbit
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next