Variety seems to be the style of the western region of Desuna. Much of the south is exceptionally flat and has aptly been named the Vast Plains, as the land seems to roll out endlessly. If you reach the northern ends of the plains though, trees begin to appear, growing larger and thicker until you're surrounded by the Roraldi forest. Trees get more sparse toward the north, unable to grow in the surrounding permafrost.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Desuna

Fade to Grey(Closed/PM before joining)

Postby Jessari » 01/12/2009 2:36 AM

In the center of the bridge platform, a blonde-haired young woman slept undisturbed by the countless people passing from one bridge to another, traveling to every corner of Lambastia. She had travelled far; that much was evident from the slightly sullied condition of her clothes and boots. A knapsack served as her pillow, another large bag as support at her back. Her arm rested upon a smaller case, one designed to hold an animal.

The reason for her peace stood beside her, a handsome Chaos Yonyuu that dealt a harsh glare and a quiet growl to anyone that ventured to close to their little island. His wings spread over her, shielding her from the bright morning sun. But no matter how much care he took, the tranquility of her dream was about to vanish...

He stood there before her, a vision of dark beauty. His ghostly-grey mane moved in a non-existent wind, dancing across his elegant neck. He observed her with wide, red eyes, and his sides quivered as he snorted at her. A black-shod hoof stamped the featureless ground. Was it uncertainty she saw in his eyes, or something else entirely?

They stood there for an eternity, horse and woman locked in a staredown that radiated tension. Andra felt an inexplicable pull towards him, a desire to touch him, to run her fingers through the midnight-black hair and breath deep of his scent. Something inside her knew this horse could be dangerous, yet in the way of all dreams, common sense was ignored in place of impulse.

Slowly, trying not to startle him, she stepped towards him. He blinked, stamping his hoof again, but she held his gaze steadily. When she had covered half the distance she raised her arm to shoulder height, extending her hand palm-up for him to sniff. Closer, closer. A tremor ran through his body, yet he didn't flee.

Then she was there, slender fingers stretched out to him in silent greeting. As she stood still, he slowly extended his nose until she could feel his breath upon her skin. Her heart leapt within her, a smile spreading across her face as she smothered a chuckle of delight.

Red eyes glowed, flamed, and he snorted angrily before snapping at her with large, sharp teeth. Andra recoiled, pulling her fingers back in the nick of time. Terror surged through her as he reared. The dark horse of beauty landed on all fours and charged at her, transformed into a monster. She screamed, turning to run. Yet she found she couldn't run, her legs moving too sluggishly to get her out of the horse's path.

It's a dream. I know it's a dream!

Even armed with this knowledge, Andra couldn't shake herself awake. Glancing over her shoulder, she saw the burning red eyes right behind her. He reared again, hooves flashing as he prepared to stamp the life out of her.

"Carmine, help!"

I think you've scared her enough for now.

For Andra, the dream disolved into wakefullness. She sat up with a gasp, reaching out for the Yonyuu. He was at her side instantly, and she threw her arms around his neck and buried her face in his thick fur. He whimpered questioningly, licking her ear in an attempt to comfort her.

"I'm okay, Carmine," she said, her voice muffled by the fur. "Just a bad dream." Was that all it had been? The horse had seemed so real. Even now, she could see it in her mind, recall the smell of its hot breath. When was the last time she had smelled something in a dream? Never.

She had heard of creatures that could twist dreams and reality. If she had encountered one of them, why hadn't it killed her? Was it that voice she had heard just before waking up? Andra glanced around, hoping to find the good Samaritan that had rescued her. No one was paying her attention. No one but Carmine. But she knew it hadn't been his voice that had come to her rescue in the dream...

Mephisto 1/1
Fausta 1/1
Carmine 1/1
Feed me chicky nuggies and chokky milk.

This is the way...

Jessari
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 673
Donate

Re: Fade to Grey(Closed/PM before joining)

Postby Jessari » 01/12/2009 5:12 PM

After Andra let go of Carmine's neck, he bounced back a few steps, lowering himself down and wriggling his behind like a playful puppy. He was barely past his puppy stage, after all, and he had realized long ago that his antics always made Andra laugh. He gave a high-pitched yip, his tail whipping back and forth in a black and white blur.

His tactics worked. Laughing lightly, Andra reached into a pocket and pulled out a dried piece of meat. She held it in her fist. "Carmine, sit!" The young Yonyuu sat, but had worked up too much energy to stay there for long. He had barely made contact with the ground before bouncing back up and prancing around her legs. Carmine playfully nipped her sleeve, tugging as his eyes begged for the tasty treat.

As the two companions played, they didn't realize that the confrontation in the dream still hadn't ended. Andra may have escaped it, but her 'good Samaritan' had chosen to linger a while longer...

The great black horse sought for the intruder, the one that had destroyed his connection to the girl. He whinnied his fury, large head swinging from side to side as his red eyes pierced the darkness. Half his fury came from the interruption, and half came from the ripple of unfamiliar emotions the encounter had stirred within him.

Traversing the dream world, he had entered the fantasies of many creatures. In one way or another, he had found them all contemptable or simple, not worthy of his time. He found a rather perverse pleasure in the fear he could cause by in them by corrupting their dreams. But this girl, this nameless girl... She had been drawn to him. And, as much as he struggled against it, he felt drawn to her as well. Something within his hardened heart had begun to soften as he looked into her silver eyes.

The attraction confused him, and the confusion angered him, and the anger screamed for release. He had thought the simplest way to rid himself of this trouble was to kill the girl, and he had charged. But inches from his target, some insipid little creature had taken her away from him. He could find her here when she dreamed again, but he couldn't trace her back to the real world unless she revealed her location. She hadn't.

Are you looking for me?

It was that voice again. His ears twitched, swivling towards the sound, yet he saw no one.

Down here.

He looked down, then down some more. A small Cobalt Draculi sat there, tail curled placidly around her legs. Her face was expressionless, yet her words carried a hint of smugness. A sharp hoof flashed out, aimed at the tiny annoyance that didn't even come halfway up his leg, but she stepped smoothly out of its path.

Why did you stop me from hurting her? he snarled, ears flat against his head. Who is she to you?

She's my master. Who is she to you?

The calm question startled him into silence. Why did the girl matter so much to him?

Mephisto 2/1
Fausta 2/1
Carmine 2/1

This is the way...

Jessari
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jessari » 01/13/2009 1:21 AM

Andra brushed her hair back from her face and glanced around as Carmine gnawed on the treat she had finally relenquished. Even though she had been planning this trip for a long time, she hadn't decided on where she wanted to go first once she had reached Lambastia. "Where do you want to go, pumpkin?" Inspite of what one might think, the nickname hadn't come from his deep orange markings, but rather from an embarrasing episode at a pumpkin patch back when he had only reached her knee.

His tail thumped at his name, but he stayed intent upon the treat. Once the last bit of it had disappeared, he stood and whirled around in a circle. Then he pranced to a bridge, looked over his shoulder at her, and let his tongue loll out in a canine grin.

Stepping closer to the bridge he had selected, Andra peered at the sign. "Wilt'no Desert?" She shook her head in mock exhasperation. "Not a chance. Let's stick to places where we won't face certain death by heat exhaustion, 'kay?"

Fausta watched as the ethereal horse went silent after her question. Her head tilted to the side, curious. The horse's anger was easy to see, but she had a sneaking suspision that it was simply a cover for so many other emotions. That was alright. She understood, because she was the same way.

Yeah, she does that to me, too. The small Draculi brought a paw up to her face, inspecting her sharp claws lazily. The only difference is I deal with it a little better. Sure, I've clawed her some, bitten her once or twice, and I might still run away if I got the chance, but I've never gone and tried to kill her.

The horse dropped his eyes from her gaze, seeming almost...ashamed. This she understood as well. It was hard, being naturally independent then having something or someone threaten that independence. And while her independence had been physically threatened when Andra had taken her in from a shelter, her heart's freedom was being threatened as well. She fought that attachment tooth and nail (literally!), because it hurt. It scared her, and it hurt, and the loss of control over her feelings made her angry. Yet sometimes, sometimes it felt like a losing battle. Maybe that's why she had helped Andra by loosening the horse's illusion enough for her to escape.

But she was finished talking. Every second spent here slowly drained her energy. Using her powers always did. Fausta rose to her feet, leaning into a back-arching stretch, then turned around. She kept an ear perked in case the horse tried to attack her again, but he seemed as if he were lost in thought.

"Just don't try anything like that again, horsie. I'll be watching."

Mephisto 3/1
Fausta 3/1
Carmine 3/1

This is the way...

Jessari
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jessari » 01/14/2009 2:53 AM

Carmine watched as Andra walked from one bridge to another, trying to decide where they would be traveling next. It bored him, since he couldn’t read the signs himself. Wherever they went, he hoped it would be somewhere with lots of small animals to chase. And speaking of small animals…

On padded paws, Carmine slunk quietly over to the carrier bag that held the newest member of Andra’s family. He peered through the screen, careful not to get too close. Her sharp little claws had already left their mark on his slender nose.

“Carmine,” came Andra’s cautioning voice. “Stay away from Fausta. She won’t ever get used to us if you keep crowding her.”

Resting his head on his paws, Carmine whined. But she smelled so interesting!

Another unfamiliar emotion flashed through the horse as the Draculi turned to go. Stop, he demanded. A simple twitch of her ear was the only indication that she had heard. He leapt after her. She spun around, hissing ferociously as he neared, but he didn’t intend to attack. Not this time.

He lowered his head, nearly as large as her entire body, until they were nose to nose. Tell me how to get to her.

No.

Tell me how to find her!

No.

The horse pulled his lip back, revealing his sharp teeth, but he dared not snap at her. This information was too important to him. She had the power to break his illusions, and if he angered her or threatened her, she would simply disappear.

At least tell me her name. The next word didn’t come easy. It was something that he had never uttered even within the quiet of his own mind. Please.

Her name. I spend all this time talking to you, and you ask for her name? Hmph. Her whiskers twitched, and for a moment he wondered if he had offended her. Then, she spoke. Her name is Andra. Now I really must be going. I have a dog to scratch.

As her form faded, he heard her call back, And my name is Fausta, not that you care.

Mephisto 4/1
Fausta 4/1
Carmine 4/1

This is the way...

Jessari
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jessari » 02/05/2009 7:33 PM

Andra

The name sounded pleasing in the dark horse's mind, curiously intriguing and making the need to find her even stronger. He hardly noticed that the draculi had gone. Repeating the name softly to himself, he walked into the human world. He would idle his time away searching for Andra until she slept. Then he would again confront her in the dreamworld.

Before Fausta opened her eyes, she knew that dog was sniffing around her cage again. Her paw shot out in a flash of blue fur. Whiskers twitched in satisfaction as Carmine emitted a pained yelp. Sitting up slowly, she yawned then opened purple eyes lazily. Pretending to ignore whatever was happening outside her pet carrier, she began washing her fur.

"Okay, Carmine. I think I know where I want to go first," Fausta heard Andra say. "Now, let's go!"

Mephisto 5/1
Carmine 5/1
Fausta 5/1

This is the way...

Jessari
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jessari » 02/05/2009 9:16 PM

Unaware of the dark creature that tracked her even now, Andra picked up the carrier, peering inside to check on the Draculi. "Morning, Fausta. Ready for adventure?"

Fausta settled onto the floor of her carrier again, stabilizing herself in preperation for the inevitable swinging that would be going on as Andra walked. She flicked her ears at the girl's words, then gave a dainty sneeze.

"Alright, let's go! Carmine, you set?" Carmine had been sitting off to the side, nursing the scratches on his paw and peeking mournfully at the pet carrier that housed Fausta. At Andra's words, however, he jumped up, wound forgotten. He picked up one of the bags to carry in his mouth, and Andra shouldered the other one. Then they left, hopefully heading towards new friends and new adventures.

((Thread has ended))

Mephisto 1/2
Carmine 1/2
Fausta 1/2

This is the way...

Jessari
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate