Most of Lambastia's city life can be found along the southeastern coast of Norrega, where settlers feel they are safe from Nori Volcano at the northern tip of the region. Warm gulf winds ensure this region is the most habitable on the continent, though travelers are warned of the disappearances of many venturing too close to the Whisper Forest. Species from all over are housed at the Evelon Preservation Zoo.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Norrega

[* Inside Your Own Death [P/L]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2012 9:24 PM

[ I'm locating this RP here since I'm not sure where it's all going to go. Might get moved if it feels like it's mostly located at one place more than another. ]

I closed the door as I bid goodbye to Agnes and the boys. It was an idea the oldest boy had had to visit the town where their mother worked; considering Agnes had her own place back in Highfield, we'd agreed to let her bring the boys there and let them see the city life. It would last about a week, perhaps two if the boys liked it. It was an opportunity I'd been waiting for.

The facade had dropped even before the door closed. The smile turned into a frown, and it didn't take long for me to feel the effects of that flesh-eating poison. After Crawford had deemed it acceptable to meddle in my research and kidnap Agnes for a matter of hours, it only seemed suiting for me to get rid of something that had been a problem for much too long. It's a well-known fact that Hydra hosts the abilities of all twelve strains, but that each Hydra has a strain that is stronger than the others. It's an embarrassment to say that the Capricorn is my personal strain when the person I'm closest to was unfairly abducted without me foretelling any of it.

Crawford hadn't been so keen into the proposition of keeping his nose out of my personal business. It was a battle I would've won had he not made the first move; forced into a brawl against him, I did manage to leave him disfigured. I was leaving him behind to die — quite literally — and letting my guard down, Crawford hadn't hesitated to stab me in the back with a poison of his own recipe, made specifically from his own venomous blood, thanks to his Scorpio-dominant Hydra. I thought none of it at first and deemed my own Hydra resilient enough to get rid of it or to simply eliminate it.

Years later, it's an embarrassment to admit that I was wrong.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

[2]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2012 9:41 PM

It may be important to note that the rivalry between us wasn't so fierce at the beginning. Our group was fonded by the person who was originally born with Hydra in her body, and whom desired to research the parasite in her body in order to find a way to obtain immortality. She was a woman born centuries ago, whom saw her entire family die in front of her eyes, as she, host to the original Hydra, continued to prosper. The inability to keep those she cherished by her side developed this desire to find a way to let humans live forever; to reach immortality.

The group formed with the same goal in mind, and with similar backgrounds in which death had left a scar or a trauma that would last forever. All of us received a small implant of the original Hydra strain, which we believed could evolve depending on the person's abilities. In total, we discovered fourteen different strains, all with their own unique characteristics and their own ability to adapt and modify the human body. Despite our breakthroughs, the group ultimately split after we accepted that immortality is unreachable.

I single-handedly picked the project back up, after getting the approval of the woman who'd first started the entire thing. Ethelred is her name, a woman with a powerful presence, but also a gentle heart, whom raised me as her own son despite us not being related by blood. While she did not approve of the decision and refused to support my research, her approval was necessary for me to be comfortable with continuing the project.

Had it not been for the decision to continue this research, perhaps things would've turned differently. One strain is particularly aggressive to the human body, in which the cells get directly tied to the host's nervous system. We'd baptized it Sirius, a strain capable of increasing one's life span tremendously. Only one host, at this time, has been able to handle it: Agnes.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[3]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2012 9:59 PM

Perhaps if the research hadn't proved successful, perhaps Crawford would've never taken interest in it. As such, I would probably still be healthy and not in such a decrepit state in which I looked more like the living dead than a live human being.

After Agnes gave birth to our first son — whom Agnes called Harvey — this castle got surprisingly lively and noisy. I'd hoped for a girl for the second child, but I wasn't so lucky, and Agnes gave birth to a second boy, this one named Shawn. Both active boys with more energy than their bodies can hold. With both children gone, along with Agnes, the castle was eerily silent — and even cold and uninviting.

The castle itself sits atop a small mountain, originally abandoned by a rich man whom lost his entire fortune overnight. I had an apartment of my own, but certain rumors and stories about this old castle started appearing all over the media, from online websites to news channels on television. I wasn't wealthy enough to buy something like a castle at the time, but as the years went by, the price started dropping, little by little. My funds did the same in the opposite way, increasing little by little, until the two ends met well enough. A peaceful retreat for my own personal research; by the time I bought it, the hype had already died entirely, leaving no one but myself to care about this castle. I didn't originally live here; it started as my general research area, while I lived in my apartment in the city. Agnes now lives in it, considering she works full-time at the general hospital, and I have officially moved in permanently.

I do miss the simplicity of an apartment in the middle of a bustling city at time.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[4]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2012 10:10 PM

It took everything I could muster to walk up the stairs. I could feel my legs burning and aching even before I'd reached the top of the stairs. The smallest physical exercise pushed me beyond my limits, and that was how I knew that poison was spreading faster than I could've ever foretold. I knew the poison was quite literally eating away anything it could find inside my body, from major internal organs to muscles. Thankfully, it seemed it was only bothering with melting and polluting the muscles, but I could still get sick to my stomach or have difficulty breathing, among others.

I had been waiting a long time for an opportunity to be alone. After the incident with Crawford, Agnes had changed her tune. She knew roughly everything about the group and the research I'm currently doing based on the original data. I was a bit less secretive with her, but it was necessary for me to remain one step ahead. There were certain things that I couldn't tell her.

I entered my room slowly, the lights off and finding myself surrounded by pitch-black darkness. That was how I liked it; a speck of sunlight in the morning was enough to wake me up and render me sleepless until nighttime. This poison was doing something similar, where it made it complicated to sleep for a long period of time. The bags under my eyes weren't just for show.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[5]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2012 10:22 PM

I'd already tried to make antidote to get rid of this flesh-eating poison. When my efforts proved unsuccessful, I turned to the man who was our main researcher back in the day, whose knowledge and keen intellect had been the mind behind the original strains. He had observed a part of the original Hydra and dissected it until he found bits and pieces that possessed different characteristics. I was still in close contact with that research, whom was retired from research in order to keep a business going with his twin brother. I'd turned to Jonathan for an antidote, but even his own concoction hadn't been good enough to do anything noticeable.

In the blinding darkness of my room, I slowly made my way to my bed; I knew this room well enough to be able to walk around without the lights on. I first sat on the edge of it, but quickly, I realized I needed more than just sitting down. I let myself fall over the covers, moving around just enough to drag myself entirely on the bed. Nothing crossed my mind then as I stared at darkness above me, arms spread slightly as I tried to feel comfortable.

I picked the cell phone from my pocket and flipped it open. It was simpler to use a cell phone for everything rather than paying millions to get a phone line installed and enabled all the way from Highfield to the castle. The provider I had could cover almost the entire continent, so long as you had the money for it.

I dialed the number, laying limply on my bed as I brought the phone to my ear and waited as it rung.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[5] [1]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2012 10:52 PM

He looked up from his book when he heard something breaking at the far end of the store. He was settled at the back of the store, keeping an eye on the overall store and on the rest of the house. The business and their house were linked together and were the same building; half of it was the store, while the other half was their home.

Jonathan was about to get up from his seat when he heard the phone ring from the back of the house. He hesitated for a moment, between answering the phone or going to take a look at the front of the store to make sure everything was okay. He opted for the first option; he figured his brother, Matthew, could fend for himself just fine, if the problem was a burglar or a petty thief. He was hearing screaming coming from his brother's location, and from what Jonathan could make out, it sounded like it was just a client being difficult and indecisive. Something Matthew could definitely handle by himself.

There was no door linking the two halves of the building, but instead a curtain-like decoration made out of small balls and beads. It chimed lightly as Jonathan pushed them aside to go through, the beads clicking against each other as he moved past them.

He picked up the phone from its base, and answered slowly. "Yes?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[6] [2]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2012 11:04 PM

I first thought Jonathan would've been unable to answer me, in the case he was busy watching the store by himself, or simply out of carelessness for whoever happened to be calling. That repetitive little tune rang again and again, and it resonated loudly in my head as I waited for Jonathan to finally pick up the phone. "I need something stronger," I answered immediately, pulling the phone away from my ear slightly to make it easier on my hearing. Even Jonathan's quiet, placid voice was enough to give me a light headache.

"Hello, Ashton," Jonathan greeted first before moving on to to address my request. "You need something stronger for what?"

"Your antidote didn't do anything," I replied quietly as I was still trying to angle the phone in such a way that I could still be heard clearly, but not hear screeching into my ears at the same time. Letting my arm rest on the bed helped, since I didn't have to keep it up constantly to hold the phone to my ear, but that didn't stop my body from aching and burning.

For a moment, I thought Jonathan had either hung up or the line had shut off, but he eventually replied. "I can't make anything that's stronger than what I gave you," he finally answered, which was an answer I was far from being happy with.

"Have you looked at the x-rays?" Having contacts at Highfield, I'd requested a few x-rays to determine just how far the poison had spread. Since Agnes worked there, I'd done everything in my power to keep the whole thing from her. I'd asked for the x-rays to be sent to my home; I didn't want any doctor to look at them and to open a file for my predicament. Agnes would have access to it and find out something was wrong. I'd already looked at them myself, but Jonathan was a researcher and so was his brother, Matthew, whom also happened to be a general doctor. A second opinion from them, who knew his history, seemed like the better plan.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[7] [3]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2012 11:15 PM

There was another pause at the other end of the line, but I could still hear Jonathan breathing on the other side. "Not yet," he replied placidly, another answer I wasn't too thrilled to hear. "Why won't you let a doctor from your general hospital look at them?" he asked, genuinely curious as to why I sounded so persistent that they be the ones to look at them.

"This is something beyond what Highfield can handle," I answered right away, knowing full well that even though Highfield was slowly becoming a well-known and respected hospital, my problem was beyond their usual cases. "First, Agnes could find out; second, it's better for people who know my history to look at them. You're both familiar with Hydra, being hosts yourselves."

"Interesting," Jonathan replied right away, and I was about to push him more when he spoke before me. "It's early, but we should be ready to close for the day by the time you travel all the way here." I was relieved to hear that; had he not invited me to travel over to their place, I probably would've tried to impose myself. "Can you travel on your own?" Jonathan eventually asked after a while, breaking the awkward silence.

"I don't want to die, Jonathan," was all I replied to him, and I wanted to bite my tongue for letting the slightest hint of fear slip through my voice.

"I'll take that as a yes," he replied quietly after a short moment of silence, probably as he tried to get used to me dropping the facade of the calculating, passive researcher to let the weaker, emotional side of me show. "See you later, then."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[8] [3]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2012 11:31 PM

The only disadvantage to living in the castle was transportation. There were multiple mountain paths throughout the area, but the roads were too rough and bumpy for a regular car to drive from the castle to the train station. The strain system was one of the major means of transportation, and so, you could virtually board the train anywhere you wanted. From the castle to Highfield, the travel time was relatively acceptable. Jonathan and Matthew, however, had settled for a secluded area as well, which was past Highfield and beyond.

It took a while for me to leave the castle, let alone walk down the mountain path to reach the train. I lost my balance a few times, and I had to sit down often to keep my legs from going numb entirely. It happened a few times that it felt like my legs were about to shut down completely and simply refuse to respond. It took longer than it should have to reach the train station, but I was relieved to have finally reached it. Walking was extremely tiring, and while sitting down didn't get rid of the burning pain, it did help my body rest. I was exchanged some coins for a ticket and immediately got on board. Thankfully, it was a slow day, and many rows were left empty. I sat down in a secluded corner of the train and leaned slightly against the window. Maybe the slow movement of the train would be enough to lull me to sleep; I had a few hours to go, and a nap would be welcome.

While I did snooze slightly, I wasn't able to ignore the pain enough to sleep soundly. The ride was tiresome and boring; the same scenery flew by again and again, with nothing particularly exciting. An animal would appear now and again, but nothing stood out enough to distract me from the pain. A train attendant eventually asked me if they could help by providing some general painkillers; a touching gesture, really, but I only smiled and denied their offer. A painkiller wasn't what I needed; at this point, I needed a miracle.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[9] [4]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/22/2012 11:43 PM

I was relieved when the train finally reached my stop. I had to get up early to make sure I could get there without feeling the need to stop between getting up and getting out. I slowly walked down the small stairs and carefully made my way out of the train wagon; I was grateful for the current weather, which was a slightly hot day, but nothing unbearable. Had this happened during winter, slippery ice and cumbersome slow would've made this trip potentially impossible in the pitiful state I was in.

I was heading for Jonathan and Matthew's store when I got a pleasant surprise. I had only started making my way there when I noticed a familiar man nearby, whom made his way towards me. As if in a daze, it took a few seconds for me to realize it was Jonathan, whom had seemingly been waiting for me to get here. He sized me up, from head to toes, in silence. "You look worse than the living dead," he commented passively, and that was enough to make me grin just a tad.

"I was just thinking the same thing," I replied bitterly, unhappy about looking so pitiful and vulnerable, but still ridiculously amused by the fact Jonathan would think the same thing I'd been thinking just hours ago.

"I wasn't expecting you to look this bad," he eventually admitted, shortly after we'd started making our way towards the store. "You don't sound good, either. You should've called sooner."

"I couldn't let Agnes know," I replied in my defense, but all I got was Jonathan shaking his head.

"I'm sure your overall state wasn't a tip off to a gerontologist," he commented with, to my surprise, a rather snarky tone. "She lives with you. I think she'd notice if your body was slowly falling apart, from old age or non."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[10] [5]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2012 9:00 PM

I couldn't help but to grumble at his answer, but what Jonathan thought on the matter didn't interest me. I wasn't saying this to insult Agnes; considering she already had an idea of what was going on, it was a stretch to think that she didn't doubt anything. She'd been reluctant to leave me by myself. She knew I couldn't sleep well, and she knew I didn't eat so much, either. If it wasn't mild symptoms like that, it was something bigger, like coughing blood or harsh breathing.

We were walking away from the station, and thankfully, Matthew's store wasn't all that far. He'd settled here especially because of the train station, so that his store was one of the first things travelers saw. He was also close enough to the city that a lot of people came by to check out his stock. Their store had never been to my liking. Matthew has a certain fascination with things that are mysterious and that remotely resemble artifacts. Some of them did something, some of them didn't do anything. Matthew never let on that some of his items really didn't do anything, and instead told his clients that the effects varied from one person to the next. Matthew's inability to be honest about his stock was another reason why I didn't bother to even glance at his items.

Shortly after leaving the station, my legs started burning more and I was having a hard time breathing. It was a fairly civilized area, so benches were everywhere, every few feet. "I have to stop, Jonathan," I said with a raspy voice as I almost let myself fall onto that bench, breathing hard as if I'd just ran a marathon.

Jonathan turned to me, already a few steps ahead, and he had to walk back towards me. He crossed his arms and looked at me curiously, and perhaps, even with a tint of genuine worry. "You're already exhausted? We've only just left the station."

I didn't make eye contact with him at first, but I did eventually look up to look straight into those harsh hazel eyes that were, despite their intimidating color, fairly kind. "It's embarrassing enough, you don't need to remind me," I replied, both quietly and placidly; I wasn't too interested in Jonathan stating the obvious.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[11] [6]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2012 9:36 PM

I had a feeling Jonathan wanted to reply to me, but he kept quiet; instead, he sat down next to me on the bench, waiting patiently for me to stop panting. It was making me feel slightly light-headed, but thankfully not enough to give me a headache. It didn't last for too long, and when the burning in my legs settled down enough, I turned back to Jonathan. "Let's go," was all I said as I slowly pushed myself up, feeling my arms burn from the strain this time.

Jonathan, who'd gotten up much faster than me, offered me a hand to help myself up from the bench. I first looked at his hand before looking up at him, with him bending down just slightly. I couldn't quite read his thoughts, since his eyes were just as placid as they always were. I frowned just a little before getting up by myself and pushing Jonathan's hand away. I started walking again, Jonathan staring at me from his spot, a little bit baffled at my reaction. He pushed his glasses up his nose and quickly caught on to me. "Don't insult me," I said quietly a little while after we'd started walking again. "I can take care of myself."

I could feel him glancing at me with genuine confusion, but he didn't answer right away. "I'm curious to know why you're asking me to look at your x-rays and to make you antidotes, then," he replied, again with a snarky tone.

"A doctor can't operate on himself, no matter how good he is." I glanced right back at him, our eyes meeting again. "That doesn't mean he can't be independent. Don't treat me like a decrepit old man." The thought of people having to help me get up from chairs or from my bed, and having people basically helping me do even the most fundamental things disgusted me.

Jonathan continued to stare at me for a while, our eyes locked together, but he eventually looked away and pushed his glasses up his nose again. "I was treating you more as a friend who needed help, not as a decrepit old man," he replied as he crossed his arms, this time not bothering to look back at me, even though I was still looking at him. "I would think you'd know the difference."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[12] [7]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2012 10:15 PM

I frowned at Jonathan's sappy answer, but I figured the whole conversation was too unimportant to get worked up over it or to continue it. I looked back in front of me and continued walking, not paying attention to anything else that was around me. I was used to this part of the city, but not the part beyond this area. I never went further than Matthew's store, since this city didn't interest me. Certain towns have certain characteristics that make them interesting, but others work the opposite way. I always wondered why Matthew had decided to settle here, but I figure anyone could ask me why I'd decided to leave my apartment in Highfield to go live in a secluded castle.

I was glad to finally reach the doorstep of that weird store, the sign already turned around to read "CLOSED." The sun was still up, but it wouldn't go down until a few hours more. It would, however, probably be nighttime by the time I got back home.

Jonathan tried to enter casually, but he was ultimately forced to use his key to open the door; the bell chimed when we both entered the quiet store, the door slowly creaking and closing behind us. I had had to come here not so long ago, so the store looked pretty much the same as last time. The first time I'd come, however, I was baffled at the amount of useless junk Matthew was trying to sell, and I was even more baffled at the fact that people actually bought the useless items on the shelves.

"Matthew's probably warming up the equipment downstairs to look at the x-rays," Jonathan eventually spoke up, which was enough to make me focus on something other than those weird things. "They sent us your x-rays on the computer, so we can look at them right on the screen. Are you following?" he asked as he started walking towards the back of the store, looking over his shoulder to make sure I was following along. Where else was I supposed to go?
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[13] [8] [1]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2012 10:29 PM

I walked past the bead-curtain after Matthew into a part of their store I'd never gone to before. Even when Jonathan had given me the antidote, everything had happened within the store. I thought it interesting and also convenient that their home was linked directly to their store. I followed Jonathan all the way to a door — an actual one — and I was starting to feel that burning sensation in my legs as we got there. It was about time I got to sit down again, or else my legs would probably stop responding to me any minute.

Jonathan lead me down the stairs and into their basement, which looked just like a second floor to their home, rather than the typical dark science-themed basement. Covered in wood from ceiling to floor, the place was well-lit and looked like an office more so than a basement. I immediately looked at the couches they had around, and at the moment, all I wanted to do was sit down.

I could see Jonathan's twin brother, Matthew, bent down over the computer desk, and I could only imagine that he had started looking at the x-rays while he was waiting for us to get here. He seemingly hadn't heard us coming in and even walking down the stairs, and it was only after Jonathan had called out to him that he reacted and turned around.

He stared at me and completely ignored Jonathan at first, his blue eyes readable as an open book. "Ashton!" he called out to me, and at first I didn't say anything or react, except for staring back at him. Before I could begin to say anything back to him, Matthew grabbed me by the arm and pulled me towards him, where he pushed me and forced me down on one of their couches. I'd felt a burning pain in my arm where he'd grabbed me, but I didn't say anything about it. "The more you walk and stand, the more it disintegrates!" I felt that if I dared to try to move, he would pounce at me and tie me down on the couch; the only thing I could do was stare at him in silence.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[14] [9] [2]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2012 10:40 PM

Whereas I didn't say anything, Jonathan didn't waste time questioning Matthew's behavior. "The more what disintegrates? What are you talking about?" I noticed his tone changing slightly, going from placid to slightly unnerved, and maybe even slightly irritated.

Matthew turned to face Jonathan and started gesticulating angrily in front of his brother. "His body! Look at the x-rays!" he snapped as he pointed at the computer screen, which showed one of the many scans the general doctors back at Highfield had taken. I had already seen the x-rays, so I knew just how advanced it was. Hearing Matthew be so enraged at those scans wasn't much of a good sign, either.

Jonathan knew his brother wouldn't bother to explain, so he went straight to the computer. I couldn't see his expression now that he had his back turned to me; all I could see was a faint reflection on the screen, if only because part of it was pitch-black, but that still wasn't clear enough for me to make out an expression.

While Jonathan was busy looking at the x-rays, Matthew turned back to me to lecture me even more. "How could you let it get this bad? You're supposed to get wiser with age, not stupider! I bet we're lucky it's something that fucking obvious, or else I bet you would've shut the fuck up about it. What are we even supposed to do? What do you want us to do?" His tone was angry, impatient, and perhaps even indignant. I could relate more to Jonathan, since he was the quiet and intelligent one between the two. Matthew was boastful and irritating, and even during the days of the main research, I never hung out so much with him. It was surprising to read something other than pride or anger in his voice.

However, I didn't reply to any of his rhetorical questions; I figured he could come up with a fair share of plausible answers on his own. He stared at me long and hard until he eventually grumbled irritably and turned to Jonathan. "Are you done looking at them yet?"
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Next