With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Re: [Exploration] Military Meandering [L/M]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:48 PM

Eugene seemed taken aback, but didn’t relinquish the bag. “If that’s what you want,” he agreed. “But I ain’t doin’ this ‘cuz yer a woman. I’m carryin’ it ‘cuz it doesn’t take a medic to see how tired you are. If you trained with Sobel, then I can ‘magine you need a day or two or three of straight sleep. I aim to see you get that. Now come on.” He jerked his head, indicating that she should get walking.

Sam shoved her hands in her pockets as she complied, chancing a peek at him from beneath the brim of her little hat. “Fine,” she mumbled, feeling a little silly. They walked in silence for a few moments, before the urge to speak got a hold of her. “So…it doesn’t bother you that I’m a woman, then? I mean…” Here, she finally grinned, and Eugene could see a little of the person she might have been back home, before she became so closed off and secretive. “-it don’t bother you that you got yer butt whooped by a girl?”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Eugene shared her grin, hiking the bag up higher on his shoulder. “Nah, all water under the bridge. Though I did tell the fellas, and I’m sure that’s gonna come back and bite me at some time. But as fer you bein’ a woman…Well, I don’t see nothin’ wrong with it. I don’t really like the idea of you goin’ with us when we make our next jump, but it’s not my life or my decision. It’s yours. And I respect that, Sam. It don’t mean I won’t try to help you; it’s really what I’m trained to do, after all.” He gave the cross on his arm a meaningful glance. “But the way I figure, you wouldn’t have accepted the transfer if ya didn’t think you could handle it.” He paused, as though considering. “Just promise me something.”

Sam, surprised by his candidness and a little touched by his faith in her, gave a nod in the affirmative. “Yeah, Gene.”

“Try not to get yerself killed.”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Eugene dropped Sam off at the quarters she shared with Lizzie, handing her bag back to her and asking her if she needed anything else. Part annoyed, and part touched by his concern, Sam had declined, and Eugene had waved goodbye, promising that he’d find her after she got her new assignment orders from Winters the next day (which confused Sam a bit; why would he want to come find her again?).

Exhausted, Sam had shuffled into the billeted house, dropped her bag on the floor, and almost didn’t make it to her bed before she flopped down face first in it. Lizzie wasn’t home (she would’ve definitely announced her presence with a squeal and a hug) so Sam would worry about making up later. Right now, all she wanted was some sleep.

It felt like it had been only a few minutes by the time the sound of the door to the house slamming shut woke Sam from a groggy sleep. She had managed to blearily drag her eyes open when she was suddenly pounced upon by a blur of white. With a grunt and a hiss of air, Lizzie landed on her stomach, nearly sending the two tumbling to the floor.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:49 PM

“Ugh, Lizzie!” Sam grouched, but made no move to push her friend away. She was surprised when, instead of giggling and laughing and squealing like she was wont to do in this sorts of situations, Lizzie instead wrapped her arms tightly around Sam’s neck, squeezing and hugging her close. “Lizzie?”

“I’m so sorry, Sam!” the brunette cried, and it was then that Sam noticed the tears that were beginning to soak the collar of her shirt. “I didn’t mean to say anything! You know how I get; sometimes I just don’t think before I blurt things out! I know I betrayed your trust; can you ever forgive me?”

Sam awkwardly patted Lizzie’s back, before prying her arms from around her neck. A half smile tugged its way onto her lips as she stared at the puffy red eyes and blotchy cheeks of her best friend. “Geeze, Lizzie. You should know better. Of course I forgive you. It’s not a big deal, really.”

“But-but you were so upset, and then you left and-”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Lizzie, I left for training. I didn’t have much of a choice. And I was upset because you told people things about me that were personal. I trust you; I don’t want to have to question that trust.” She reached up and poked her friend in the cheek, eliciting a tentative, watery smile.

“I promise I won’t ever do anything like that again, Sam. Cross my heart.”

Sam nodded, the smile finally managing to break through as she ruffled Lizzie’s hair into an unruly mess, grabbing her around the neck and yanking her forward. Lizzie squeaked as she was squished against her friend, who flopped back down on the bed and dragged her along for the ride. “Now that we’ve got that settled,” Sam yawned, eager to get back to sleep. “Let’s hit the hay. I gotta report for orders tomorrow with my new regiment.”

Sam didn’t notice the hesitance on Lizzie’s face or the concern in her eyes as she started drifting off to sleep. She had no idea that Lizzie was afraid that if Sam went into combat, they might never see one another again.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The knock on the door that next morning was early and unexpected. It couldn’t have been any later than eight in the morning. Sam blearily rubbed her eyes, noting that Lizzie had managed to sprawl across most of the bed and steal the covers while she was at it. Grumbling to herself, Sam managed to wobble from the bed, running into the wall before she was able to push off and head down the hall to the door. Unconcerned with her scruffy appearance, she yanked open the door just as another knock sounded to see a startled looking Eugene staring down at her.

“What?” she demanded, still tired and in no mood to be entertaining guests. Eugene cleared his throat, looking faintly embarrassed.

“Ah, Captain Winters sent me to getcha, Sam. There’s gonna be a briefing about our next drop. It’s pretty important. He says he’s sorry to wake ya so early; he didn’t know about this until last night.” He made a vague motion to her body, before folding his arms behind his back. “I’ll wait for ya, if you wanna change,” he informed her. A faint grin tugged at the corner of his lips. “Don’t think sleep wear is ‘propriate for meetings.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:50 PM

Sam glanced down at herself, realizing she was wearing nothing more than a pair of shorts and the white shirt she usually wore under her ODs. A brilliant scarlet blush shot up her neck, and she all but slammed the door in a chuckling Eugene’s face as she rushed to go and change into her uniform.

As she marched back into the room and struggled into her clothes, she glanced over at Lizzie, careful not to wake her. Her friend was still sleeping soundly, even by the time Sam pulled on her boots and headed back to the door. She flung it open, grabbing her hat as she went, and stomped down the steps to meet the grinning medic who was waiting for her. “Shut up,” she grouched, shoving her hat on her head and her hands into her pockets. “What are you smiling like that for?”

“If there was any doubt ‘bout you bein’ a girl, then I think you answering the door just now would have quickly expelled it,” he quipped, falling into step behind her.

“Why you-!”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/30/2017 12:37 AM

Eugene laughed loudly as he took off running down the street, Sam hot on his heels, but a smile twitching at the corner of her lips.

When they reached the tent, Sam and Eugene just managed to find a seat on one of the benches in the back. Sam found herself squished between the medic and Skip Muck, who looked delighted to see her. She greeted him with a “How ya doin’, nurse?” to which he responded with a wide grin, before they were forced to pay attention to the briefing being given by Winters and Nixon.

Sam was concerned about the fact that she had yet to meet most of the men; she wondered how they’d take to her. If they were anything like Lew and Sidney, then she’d probably be okay. But her replacements and their reactions gave her an idea that not everyone would be so accommodating or accepting. She’d just have to get on with it and let it roll off her back, for once. She couldn’t very well pick a fight with anyone. She just wondered how she’d go about treating the men and being their medic if she didn’t know who more than half of them were.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/30/2017 12:38 AM

Sam forced herself to stop thinking about what-ifs, and start paying to Nixon’s briefing. They were going to be jumping into Holland, under British command. The feeling of dread and anticipation hit Sam harder than she thought it would, and she curled in on herself, slouching over in her seat. She saw Eugene’s head turn just slightly, casting her a confused glance out of the corner of his eyes, before he went back to listening to the officers.

“Say goodbye to England. I don’t think they’re calling this one off.”

She’d be leaving.

She’d be leaving everything she’d come to know as familiar and dear. Her tiny cottage, the lovely people in the town, her job as a supply officer and Lizzie. She wasn’t sure how she’d break the news of her division moving out to her best friend; Lizzie wasn’t going to take it well.

But Sam had more pressing things on her mind; like her first jump into actual combat. In fact, her first real jump in general. The others had been nothing more than practice. Now she’d be loaded down with all of her gear, jumping out of a plan with men she’d be following and serving with, into what could possibly be live fire and assuredly waiting enemy soldiers.

She felt sick to her stomach.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/30/2017 12:39 AM

The rest of the men had started milling about as the briefing wound down, off to start packing their equipment and get ready for the jump in a few hours, but Sam stayed put, hand curled over her fluttering stomach. Most men ignored her, taking her for the new medic their officers had told them about in her week of absence during her training once they caught sight of the red cross on her arm. They figured she was just nervous.

“Sam?”

Sam glanced up into the concerned face of Eugene, before realizing that most of the others had moved off. A few, like Muck, Eugene, Malarkey, Babe and Luz had stayed behind, shooting her curious looks and eager to be on their way to get ready.

“I’m okay,” Sam muttered, feeling foolish for being so nervous. “I’m fine.” As if to prove her point, she stood up, nodding at Gene before starting for the edge of the tent. Both the medic and the small group fell into step with her, talking quietly amongst themselves about their coming jump.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Way I see it, war will be over by Christmas,” Luz was saying, strolling along beside Malarkey with his hands in his pockets. “’Bout fuckin’ time, too.”

Muck reached over, smacking Luz on the back of the head. He responded with a yelp, shooting the other man a glare. “’Ey, George. That’s no way to talk in front of a lady. Isn’t that right, Sam?”

Sam rolled her eyes. She was wondering when something like that was gonna come up. “I’m sorry your feminine sensibilities are being offended by George’s mouth, nurse,” she commented dryly, earning a round of laughter from Babe, Malarkey and Luz. “But that’s between you an’ George. I ain’t got nothin’ to do with it.”

Sam managed a half smirk as Muck threw his arm over her shoulder in a companionable manner (she decided not to try and break his hand; he was growing on her, after all. Like overly-friendly mold). “Every time you open your mouth, I like ya more and more,” he quipped, a grin breaking out over his features. “This is going to be way more fun than the first jump. I can feel it.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“This is not way more fun,” Skip grouched dryly, glaring over Eugene’s shoulder at the approaching jeep.

Sam was in the middle of trying to get all of her bags and equipment strapped to her and not fall over, because she was afraid she wouldn’t be able to get back up. Eugene was doing his best to help her, having already quickly and efficiently gotten ready for their departure. Muck had wandered over only a few minutes before, using both Sam and Eugene as human shields to hide from Sobel, who had shown up on a jeep with Popeye Wynn.

After they’d left the briefing tent, Sam had been introduced to the NCOs (a few who’s faces she knew already) and officers of Easy, as well as a few of the men she hadn’t met before (Shifty, Hoobler, Cobb, Webster, Liebgott, Perconte, Smokey, Alley and a few others). She was surprised at how well they received her, though they didn’t offer too much in the way of greetings beyond a few lazy ‘how ya doin’?’ or ‘welcome aboard.’ Those she met seemed unconcerned with her status as a female, and made no mention of it as she had expected them to. She was, frankly, surprised at that, but had filed it away under things to wonder about for later. She had other concerns at the moment. After the brief introductions, she’d gone to the field to get ready for the jump, having no time to head back to her billet.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/30/2017 12:40 AM

Sam had been dreading telling Lizzie she was leaving; she knew there wouldn’t be time. She had to get her equipment packed and there were medical supplies and other things she had to outfit herself with. It would take all the prep time she had just to get ready to jump. She would have no time to slip away to say goodbye to Lizzie. Sam should have known better, of course, than to think she wouldn’t get a chance to say goodbye.

When her friend had gotten wind of what was going on, Lizzie had hoofed it to get to the air field, begging, borrowing and sweet-talking a ride out of someone (who happened to be Sobel, though Sam didn’t know it at the time). She’d hopped off the jeep and immediately started prowling about for Sam until she found her. The female medic caught sight of her head of brunette hair, surprise shooting through her as she managed to lift a hand and wave over Eugene’s shoulder, calling out to her. She watched Lizzie look around in confusion before she spotted Sam (and Eugene, who had raised his arm to get her attention) and immediately made a beeline for their spot.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/30/2017 12:40 AM

As she reached Sam, Lizzie didn’t stop, and plowed into her in a fierce hug that nearly had them sprawling backwards (and Sam almost panicked because she was sure she’d never get up again). As she pulled away, Sam could see tears gathering at the corner of Lizzie’s eyes, and she shoved something into Sam’s hands; it was a small bag, just small enough to fit over her other shoulder, opposite her medic satchel.

“Lizzie? What-?”

“Extra clothes. Clean ODs and stuff,” Lizzie whispered, carefully securing the bag over Sam’s shoulders and adding that much more to her jump. Still, it was a welcome weight to Sam. “You’re gonna need them. When I heard you were leaving so soon…well, I never thought it would be that quick. But I packed this for you, and I think you’ll thank me later.” Lizzie winked, leaning forward to take her friend’s hands. “Sam, please be careful. Don’t do anything stupid. Promise me.”

“Lizzie-”

“Promise me.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby .:Random Event:. » 02/03/2017 6:40 PM

((Just a heads up, stating what you want will in no way influence what you'll get. You were just lucky on this roll.))

No one said life in Wilt'no was easy. The sun hung low, glowing harshly. A bitter wind picked up from time to time, blowing the desert's hot breath and stinging skin with biting sand. Small biting insects buzzed, occasionally try to cling to flesh or fabric, seeking shelter.

But still, even here there was life if you knew where to look. The brightly colored Iridescent Wings half buried in the sand was proof of that. The previous owner was long gone, but it was a good omen, because there'd always be more.
Season in Effect: Winter

Please don't PM me without a good reason, otherwise I'll just ignore you!
.:Random Event:.
Surprise!
Surprise!
Pets | Items
Keystones: 627
Donate

Previous