A very strange place indeed, this Shrine to the Holy Triumvirate is nestled within the icy peaks of the Fe'gan Mountains. You will find the warmth of spirituality here, together with works of great sculptural design based on the Holy Triumvirate religion. (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Basantha Shrine

A Long and Weary Road (Pt. 1) [Self]

Postby Kitsumi » 12/04/2013 7:04 PM

ImageImage
Fallon || Adina
Priestess of the Tribe || Healer of the Tribe

Winters were hard, especially in the unforgiving chill of the Fe'gan Mountains. The tribe was suffering greatly, and everyone knew that they could only last for so long before moving on to a better place.

“Priestess,” Adina, the Healer of the tribe, bowed respectfully as she entered the Priestess’ cave. “I apologize for entering without your permission. I called twice with no answer, and was afraid that you were hurt. Are you alright?”

“Yes, I’m fine.” Fallon sighed tiredly. “I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you. It seems that it’s been harder for me to concentrate lately. I expect you come bearing news of your sister’s hatchlings, correct?” A quick glance at the somber look on her Healer’s face proved that the news was not good. “They didn’t make it.” It wasn’t a question, but the Healer nodded in response, the sparkle of tears in her eyes. “I’m so sorry for your loss, and for the loss of your sister.”

“My sister and I are not the only ones affected by this loss, Priestess.” Adina’s voice wavered, but she was able to retain her composure. “These were the last hatchlings within the tribe. Jasira’s eggs have not yet hatched, and it is likely they never will. If I may be so bold, I must suggest…”

Fallon cut her off before she could say it. “We must leave. I know. If our future generations cannot survive, our tribe will die out. We have already lost our elders, and our numbers are few.”

“Should I…call the tribe for a meeting?” Adina seemed unsure. While Fallon’s words were in agreement, it was obvious that her heart was not in the decision. The Fe’gan Mountains had been their home for over five years, but with the weather getting colder every year, they wouldn’t last much longer.

“Yes,” Fallon said, without looking Adina in the eyes. “Inform the tribe to assemble as the sun begins to set. I will speak then.”

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7114
Donate

Re: A Long and Weary Road (Pt. 1) [Self]

Postby Kitsumi » 12/12/2013 5:27 AM

ImageImageImage
Adina || Aderes || Saphia
Healer || Protector || Provider

Adina hurried out of Fallon's cave, an anxious look on her face. The tribe was less than one third of the size it had been before, so there would be little trouble with informing everyone of the meeting. The trouble was going to be convincing them all that leaving was for the best. Even after losing all of their hatchlings and eggs, their younger adults and their elders, not all of those who remained would be happy to leave the place that they had resided for so many years.

To Adina's great relief, it was her sister Aderes who she found first. Aderes was a Protector, the last one remaining. Under the leadership of the tribe's gruff Guardian, Larkin, she had been trained to fight and protect her tribe, in case the need should ever arrive. Saphia, the Provider, was with Aderes. With the scarcity of Paragon who were strong enough to hunt or gather and a lack of need for fighters, it was likely that Saphia had been asking Aderes to lend a hand in bringing back food for the tribe. The Hunters and Gatherers under Saphia were working hard, but there was only so much that they could do, and the cold had killed off most of the plant and animal life.

"Are you feeling alright?" Aderes spoke up before Adina had the chance. "You look absolutely awful, doesn't she, Saphia?"

"I have a feeling it's more than just the cold that is ailing your sister," Saphia replied. "I saw you come out of Fallon's cave. You were speaking about important matters, correct? I can only assume that whatever you were talking about is serious if you were sent to inform us about it."

Adina sighed. "I'm afraid so. No, don't ask." Aderes had already been opening her mouth to ask, but Adina's words stopped her. "It is not my place to speak of these things. My job is simply to inform the tribe that Fallon will speak to us all as the sun begins to set, and that we are to have gathered at that time."

Exchanging a worried look, it was obvious that both Aderes and Saphia knew how serious things had gotten. "You and your sister have things to speak about. Larkin was going out to guard Haldisa while she hunted - you know how overboard he goes with the whole protection thing. I'll go find them. If you guys can find Treowe, we'll be able to let everyone know."

Saphia left the two sisters alone, as the two began to contemplate what Fallon's next move might be, and what it possibly should be.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/16/2013 12:01 AM

ImageImageImage
Saphia || Haldisa || Larkin
Provider || Gatherer || Guardian

"I knew you would need protection. You claim to be a hunter, and yet you couldn't even protect yourself! You're lucky that I decided to come along."

"Oh, shut up you old grump! I'm a gatherer, I specialize in plants. Besides, I wouldn't have had more than a couple of scrapes for Adina to take care of, even without your so called 'protection'."

As soon as Saphia was within hearing range of Larkin and Haldisa, it became easy to track them by their voices. The two were bickering, as usual. Larking was known as the grumpy, over-protective member of the tribe. Most of the others avoided him when he was in a particularly angry mood, but Haldisa seemed to enjoy spurring him on. It was one of the things that Saphia admired about the Ambia. She was strong, strong enough to stand her ground against Larkin. What the male didn't realize was that at least half of the time, Haldisa was actually just teasing the male.

"What happened here?" Saphia's eyes widened as she finally found the pair, near the bloody body of a Carpetfang. "Oh no...were either of you poisoned?" She quickly moved to Haldisa, examining her for wounds. Larkin was a trained fighter, seemingly invincible. Haldisa, on the other hand, was a gatherer. She wasn't even fully trained in hunting yet, and Saphia was worried that she may have been injured.

Haldisa swept one of her wings over Saphia's body comfortingly. "You can search me if you wish, but you'll find no wounds. I wasn't injured, and neither was Larkin. The Carpetfang came upon us as our attention was drawn away to these mushrooms." She shook her head, obviously displeased with herself. "I should have heard it coming, but I was so excited to find these growing so plentifully despite the cold."

"As I was telling her," Larking butted in. "She was lucky that I insisted upon coming. While I didn't hear the creature approach, I saw it out of the corner of my eye as it prepared to strike. I disposed of it." Haldisa made a sound as if she were clearing her throat, and Larking sighed before adding, "Haldisa helped. A bit."

For a moment, Saphia was distracted by the mushrooms. "Haldisa, how did you find these? I can't believe how many there are! You're an angel!" She grinned at the other female, before remembering why she had sought them out. "Oh, but we'll have to gather as many as we can quickly, and come back later for the rest. Saphia wants to meet us - the entire tribe. We're supposed to gather as the sun sets."

Larkin and Haldisa exchanged a quick look, and then both began to quickly stuff mushrooms into the baskets strapped to their sides. Saphia helped, and soon, they were headed back towards camp, somber and silent.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/17/2013 7:43 PM

ImageImage
Fallon|| Treowe
Priestess || Protector Trainee

The sun hadn't yet begun to set, but Fallon was already pacing outside of her cave. She had spent the rest of the afternoon in silent contemplation, begging for guidance from their ancestors. There had been a whisper of an answer, but it wasn't quite enough for her to make out. She had decided that they would build a spirit fire, and Fallon herself would stand in it and plead with her ancestors. If she was still unable to hear their voices, she would have to go ahead and make the decision on her own. The tribe couldn't sit around and wait for direction while they slowly died off.

"Priestess? You look troubled. Might I offer my assistance?"

Fallon turned and faced Treowe, the newest member of the tribe. He had joined roughly a quarter year ago, and not everyone in the tribe trusted him fully yet. However, Fallon herself had been told by the ancestors that he would become a powerful member of the tribe, and that his loyalty would be proven not only to the tribe, but to Fallon herself. She would have gladly shared this information with the rest of the tribe to ease their anxiety about the Lavamancer, had she not been instructed to allow them to come to trust him on their own. Most of the tribe was already accepting of him anyways. He was another strong male in a tribe that was now mostly consisting of females - a great asset in times of trouble.

"I'm afraid there is no way that you can help me, Treowe." Fallon watched as he nodded respectfully and turned to leave. Suddenly needing companionship, she quickly added, "But I would be grateful if you would stay. My heart is heavy, and my thoughts chaotic. I...I realize that I shouldn't ask this of you. But I cannot stand to be alone in this moment."

To Fallon's great relief, Treowe turned towards her again. He sat beside her, close enough for her to feel the warmth from his body which seemed to chase away the chill that had pierced straight to her core. It may not have been the proper thing to do, but Fallon couldn't help but lean towards him ever so slightly. The warmth was so pleasant and inviting, and when Treowe raised a wing to drape it over her, she sighed comfortably.

Studying his leader closely, Treowe could easily see the conflict within her. "To be a leader...it's a great responsibility, Fallon. But I think you take it too seriously at times. You seem to think that to be a leader is to be alone. Your tribe respects and reveres you, and that is right. They love you, and would give their very lives for you - this is also right. But I feel as if they often distance themselves from you out of a false idea of what respect really is." He paused. "If I'm being too bold, please, stop me."

"No," Fallon shook her head emphatically. "I believe that you are exactly right. I couldn't have worded it better myself. With everything else I've been worrying about I haven't really had the chance to notice how my relationships within the tribe have changed. I've been trying so hard to be a great leader that I forget why I first accepted this responsibility in the first place - out of love for the tribe. I've focused on my responsibilities, and it seems that I've given others the idea that they must treat me as some sort of god, to be worshiped from afar." When she spoke again, her voice was barely above a whisper. "You know, few members of the tribe still call me by my name. Your doing so just now...it brought me great comfort. You see me as more than a leader. You see me as a Paragon, a member of the tribe."

"You have forgotten one thing, Fallon." He paused for emphasis before continuing. "You are also a female. And while you are the strongest female I have ever had the honor of knowing, your heart is delicate. You crave companionship just like any other female, and you need comfort and encouragement as well."

Fallon stared at the male in amazement. "You seem to see right into my soul, and to speak directly to my heart. I am glad that you have joined our tribe. Surely, we will have suffered a great loss should you ever choose to return to your old life."

"I have no old life." Treowe's voice was firm, but not harsh. "This is my life, Fallon. These Paragon are my family. I will shed both tears and blood for the tribe."

The Priestess, for all her wisdom, could think of nothing to say in answer. "I...I must get ready to address the tribe." Gently shrugging his wing away, she stood. However, she lingered close by, having more to say. "I am grateful that you spoke to me. I would like to speak again like this, if you are willing."

"I am forever at your service, Priestess. I am never far away, and will always be honored to speak with you." His words were formal, but his voice was gentle. "Fallon, I've enjoyed our talk as well. I also look forward to speaking again."

Fallon smiled as she turned away, preparing to address the tribe.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate