A very strange place indeed, this Shrine to the Holy Triumvirate is nestled within the icy peaks of the Fe'gan Mountains. You will find the warmth of spirituality here, together with works of great sculptural design based on the Holy Triumvirate religion. (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Basantha Shrine

Re: A Clash of Fire and Earth (Self, Rewrite)

Postby Thunder » 05/13/2014 6:27 PM

Ixo popped his armored head into the cavern. "Elder Hairou, I mean no disrespect, but there isn't much time for chatter. The invasion should be leaving at any moment, and we have to get these two tailing it as quickly as possible."

"Oh, all right," the blind Sandshark sighed. "But I'm staying right here in the meantime, just in case something goes wrong."

The Fire dragons wolfed down the mountain goat at light speed. Its meat was cold, hard, and fairly bloodless from sitting in the storage caves, but it was still food. In a matter of moments, all that was left of the creature was a stripped carcass. Telufahn let out a loud sigh of contentment once the meal was done, while Trattam lied down to let his stomach digest. Hairou looked quite pleased that they enjoyed the food.

Ixo had left on a quick reconnaissance trip while the two were eating. He returned shortly after they finished, wearing a serious expression. "My tribemates have left the territory," he announced. "It's time that we leave."

"Oof," Telufahn squeaked, "Now I'm scared I won't be able to run because of the food! My belly might get upset..."

"Like it or not," Trattam chided, "we need to depart. There's a battle on the horizon, and we can't trouble these good Earth dragons further." The Frost paused to bow deeply to Ixo and Hairou. "We are indebted to you. Once all this is over, I will make sure to repay your kindness."

"Oh, don't bother yourself with it," Hairou replied, waving his tail dismissively. "Just defeat Merylus. That's all I ask of you."

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/13/2014 7:35 PM

After checking their surroundings for other Paragon, Ixo, Trattam, and Telufahn waved farewell to Hairou and swiftly exited the cave. As they walked, Ixo explained to the captives his escape plan. "We'll have to walk since Trattam cannot fly, but there's enough nooks and crannies in these mountains for us to hide in if needed. We'll head to the crater lake, and once we get there, we'll travel about halfway around its perimeter and then start heading out of the mountains. There's one area of the territory where the terrain is particularly difficult. It will take us time to get through, but not many Earth dragons enjoy traversing that route. We shouldn't be found there."

The same lack of moonlight that was a blessing for the Earth tribe's invasion now granted them an advantage in their escape. The whole land was shrouded in darkness, and whenever they suspected that an enemy was afoot, they would silently slip into a shadowy spot and wait until the coast was clear. They utilized the many boulders and copses scattered across the mountains. Soon enough, they were back at the crater, now devoid of dragons. It was a peaceful place under the night sky. The soft sound of tiny waves lapping at the crater cliffs soothed their anxiety.

After a few minutes of travel, they broke away from the lake. Ixo was right about the piece of land they entered next. There were a lot of tight squeezes, as well as dangerous drops that were hard to spot in the darkness. At one point, Telufahn's hindquarters slipped down a crevace, and Ixo and Trattam had to fish him up without making too much noise. They proceeded with heightened caution after that close call. In the end, it took nearly an hour to navigate this treacherous part of the territory. Trattam started to worry if they could catch up to the battle in time.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/14/2014 6:09 PM

Eventually, their surroundings grew familiar. The mountains gave way to the flat, grassy plains of Fire tribe territory. Trattam and Telufahn dashed forth to meet their homeland. In the distance, they could see a bright orange glow and tendrils of smoke rising into the air.

"Oh no!" Telufahn cried. "They've already started!"

"But that also means my father didn't bow to Merylus," Trattam added. "I knew he wouldn't trade our lands for the two of us."

He turned to Ixo and nodded. "We'll be fine from here. What will you do?"

"I'm supposed to be guarding the two of you," the Carapace replied, "so it would be strange if I'm seen here. I have to go back and invent a story about your escape. Hopefully the others will be foolish enough to believe me."

"All right. We shall pray for your success. And Ixo...thank you again."

Ixo dipped his head and lifted off into the sky. Once they saw his tail vanish behind the clouds, Trattam and Telufahn ran at lightning speed towards the fires. Neither were sure what sights and carnage would await them.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/14/2014 10:24 PM

At first, the Fire tribe faltered. The Earth tribe's sheer numbers overwhelmed them and forced them deep into the territory. But as soon as Trattam's tribemates caught the gleam of his electric yellow scales on the horizon, they all bellowed in relief and triumph. The miraculous reappearance of their heir gave them fresh hope and energy to fight back with.

When Merylus saw Trattam and Telufahn return, she became distraught. How had they escaped? She had ordered some of her most trusted, strongest dragons to watch the prison! Her threats towards Azelus were all for naught. And now her tribe was losing the upper hand, getting shoved back the way they came.

But the tides of war can change in an instant. There was still something she could do to crush the Fire tribe. Fending off the Paragon she was fighting, she flew across the burning battlefield until her eyes landed on an unmistakable black hide. The Fire tribe leader was already clashing with one of her dragons, but she didn't care. The Placid descended on Azelus like a hawk, screeching fiercely.

The Voidbringer was taken by surprise. He snarled as Merylus's claws raked his back and whipped around for a counterattack. But she was swift, and his own blow met only empty air. Over and over, she dive bombed him as her comrade continued to attack Azelus on the ground. He started to grow dangerously exhausted.

"I know what you're trying to do," he panted, dodging another one of her strikes. "Do you think a parcel of our land is worth killing me over?"

"And here I thought you'd be glad to join your mate!" Merylus hissed.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/16/2014 1:20 PM

She swooped down once more and lashed out, striking Azelus right in one of his four eyes. He let out a tremendous roar that could be heard over miles. Despite the other deafening noises of warfare, the sound managed to reach his son's ears. Trattam immediately knocked out the Paragon he was fighting with a decisive cuff to the forehead and whirled around to sprint across the plains towards his father. Very rarely did the Voidbringer cry out during battle for help or in pain.

He skidded to a halt once he arrived on the scene and took a moment to analyze it. The tactic that Merylus and her ally were using was not unlike what Azelus and Barsalla used on her long ago. With one enemy in the sky and another on the ground, it was nearly impossible to figure out who to focus on, especially now that one of his father's eyes was apparently clawed out.

Angrily, Trattam charged at the dragon on the ground- a female Sparkdrake- and rammed straight into her side, sending her lighter body flying. Neither he nor his father would have an easy time fending off Merylus while the Placid was flying, so taking care of the other enemy seemed like a reasonable way for the Frost to help. The Sparkdrake scrambled back onto her feet and hissed, sending out blasts of electricity from the spines on her head. Trattam deftly dodge and retaliated by spitting venom into her face. The poison was only potent enough to kill large prey and not a fully grown Paragon, but it still sent the Sparkdrake fleeing, screeching from the burn.

"Good work, son!" Azelus rasped. Trattam smiled grimly and prepared to fight Merylus, only to notice a second winged shape descending on them.

"Father, look out!" he gasped.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/16/2014 1:34 PM

A Fairy Paragon, tiny but lithe, zoomed towards Azelus on her butterfly wings with a sharp, wooden pole in her claws. She was so swift that there was no time to react. The weapon plunged straight into Azelus's throat, piercing his jugular vein, and when she yanked it back out, dark blood came spurting out of the gaping hole it left. The Fire tribe leader let out another roar, but his injury made it sound like a wheeze instead. Staggering backwards, he teetered on his feet and then crashed onto the ground.

"FATHER!" Trattam bolted to the Voidbringer and stared in horror at the crimson pool forming underneath Azelus's head. A gurgling sound came from the leader. His three remaining eyes rolled up in his skull.

"Hah!" Merylus cackled. "Let's see what your precious tribe will do now!"

Sarka, who had been fighting some distance away, heard the commotion and ran over. She froze once she saw Azelus's bleeding out and gave Merylus one of the most hateful glares she had ever given in her life. Raising her head, she loosened a piercing scream from her bony jaws. "AZELUS IS DEAD! THE DIRT TRIBE SCUM KILLED OUR LEADER!"

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/16/2014 9:52 PM

At her words, the battlefield erupted. Earth tribe Paragon bellowed victoriously. Fire tribe Paragon screamed in rage. Word swiftly spread across the entire territory, but the effect that Azelus's death had on the fighting was not what Merylus intended. Instead of growing disheartened, the Fire dragons fought harder than ever to avenge their fallen leader. Their teeth and claws hungrily sought Earth tribe flesh.

In the end, the gruesome clash lasted three hours. As hard as the Earth tribe fought, they failed to overpower their opponent and were sent scurrying back to their lands. A great deal of time was spent putting out the fires that broke out across the plains afterwards. Following that, all the bodies scattered across the landscape had to be taken care of, giving the Fire tribe no rest.

The five tribes each had different methods of disposing corpses. The Earth dragons carried their dead into deep caverns, while the Metal Paragon took theirs up to high mountain peaks where scavengers could feed on the flesh. The Wood tribe dug graves, and the Water tribe drowned their fallen in the abyss of the sea. The Fire tribe, true to its name, built massive pyres to cremate the deceased. The charred remains were then buried in the ground.

As the leader, Azelus got his own pyre and funeral rites, while all the other dead dragons were burned together. As the sun rose over the horizon, Trattam and a few more distant relatives of the Voidbringer carried his body to a large pile of sticks, moss, and grass that they had built, laying him on its top. Surrounded by a crowd of mourning tribemates, they each said a word on the great leader's deeds and character, with Trattam as the last to speak. After the speeches were done, an appointed Paragon walked up to the pyre and breathed fire on it, setting it ablaze. Everyone watched Azelus melt away into ashes.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/17/2014 12:01 AM

The dragons who carried the leader's body each took one hour shifts next to the ashes, during which they could not speak. Trattam, as per tradition, went first. As he stood by his father's bones, he watched his tribemates working hard to repair the damage done by the battle. If he were not taking a silent vigil, he would have sighed. All this destruction was so pointless. If only the tribes could stand together and not apart. There would be no more conflict over land or food. Everyone would be able to reap the riches of all the territories without shedding blood.

When an hour passed, he left Azelus's remains to get some much needed rest, only to run into Telufahn on his way. The Primal was hunched over by another burning pyre, emitting loud sobs. Concerned, Trattam stepped up to his friend and saw that there was a torrent of tears streaming from the other Paragon's eyes.

"What's wrong?" the Frost asked.

"M-my parents," Telufahn croaked, "are in there." He raised a trembling claw and pointed to the flames.

A deep sorrow engulfed Trattam. He placed his tail comfortingly around Telufahn's body. "What happened?"

"I...I d-don't know! I g-guess...they were both c-caught in the battle. Their b-bodies were found lying n-next to each other. M-maybe...they d-died together..."

The Primal crumpled to the ground, reduced to a bawling heap of scales and feathers. Trattam sank down with him. He was unsure of how to comfort his friend when his own grief was still so fresh, but the tragedy made one thing certain in his mind. The tribe divisions weren't just stupid because they restricted resources. They placed an unbearable burden on mixed blood Paragon like Telufahn, who constantly lived in fear of death if their secret were to be discovered. If there were no borders, there would be no such thing as half bloods.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/17/2014 2:58 PM

He didn't consciously realize it, but during that bloody day, a seed of a thought was planted in Trattam's mind. It grew during his every waking hour and even in his dreams, creeping towards the sunlight inch by inch. Several days after the battle, once most of the damage and death had been cleaned up, the seed finally bloomed into a flower. The Frost knew what he had to do.

On the morning of his leadership ceremony, the skies were clear, and a sweet, soft breeze blew across the lands. The entire tribe gathered together around a large boulder jutting out of the grass near the center of the territory, the Conference Rock, on which Trattam stood. The Frost waited patiently for everyone to settle down before taking a deep breath and raising his golden head into the wind.

"Friends, it's been barely a week since we lost Azelus. My father was a fine leader who did many things for our tribe, but he passed away all too soon. I am standing before you today, as his son, to inherit his power, but I can't help wondering if I'm ready to bear all the burdens of leadership. A few of you may think I am too young, too inexperienced." Here, he shot a pointed glance at Sarka, who glowered back at him.

"But what's done is done. We must charge forth into the future, and I must lead you. I swear by the heavens that I will help this tribe flourish, no matter if I need to hunt in the harsh winter months, fend off belligerent intruders, or simply tidy up nests scrambled by young hatchlings. Whatever needs to be accomplished, I will accomplish beside you."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/17/2014 3:24 PM

Trattam paused. Now, he had to reveal the true extent of his ambitions, the real dream that emerged from the seedling in his mind. Gazing upon all his tribemates, he wondered how they would receive his idea. A few of them would likely welcome it. But many, having grown so used to the existence of tribal feuds, would probably condemn it, calling it blasphemous and ludicrous. He had to change those opinions if he wanted his plans to succeed. Its fruition or failure depended on the mindset of the entire Fire tribe- and of the other four clans.

"There is, however, one major thing I wish to achieve during my leadership. And to do that, I need your full support and cooperation. It goes beyond the mere workings of our tribe. It is a goal that will touch Fire, Earth, Water, Metal, and Wood. You may have some concerns about this already. I ask that you hear me out first."

Indeed, his dragons showed signs of confusion and worry at his words. The speech had taken a very unexpected turn. Paragon murmured questions about what Trattam could possibly do that would influence all five tribes, even the ones furthest away from Fire tribe lands. Telufahn sat perfectly still and blinked at him with wide, lost eyes. Sarka made a grimace suggesting she was not fond of dabbling with the other tribes in any way, shape, or form, aside from perhaps crushing them.

"For as long as we can remember, the five tribes have been just that- five tribes, all standing apart. We fight each other for precious resources and territory in this harsh climate. We spill each other's blood and mock each other's names. These divisions have caused trouble for all the tribes, not just ours. And I believe this needs to stop."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/17/2014 3:36 PM

A loud babble arose among the Paragon. Trattam stamped one foot on the Conference Rock to regain their attention. "My friends, let me tell you two stories. The first is from a hundred years ago, back when Merylus slayed my mother. Azelus, though he was mourning her, spoke these exact words to me. 'Although the Earth tribe has brought us much grief and disaster with this battle, you must never hate them. They, like us, are just trying to survive in this unforgiving land.' Despite being our proud former leader, even he recognized that everyone suffers from fighting and that the force driving our conflicts is our sheer will to live. The second story is much more recent. You know that right before the battle, I went into Earth tribe territory to rescue a friend in danger, but ended up imprisoned by Merylus. What you don't know is that we couldn't have returned to the battlefield on time if it hadn't been for two generous and wise Earth tribe Paragon, who helped us escape from her clutches."

This revelation was met with shocked gasps from the Fire tribe. In these tumultous times, Paragon from different tribes helping one another to such a great degree was unheard of. There was the occasional minor treaty or alliance once in a while, but Earth dragons aiding Trattam in direct infringement of Merylus's orders, in an age where Fire and Earth were fierce rivals, sounded ridiculous. Sarka stepped up to the Conference Rock and flared out her neon yellow wings, glaring.

"Why the hell would the Dirt Tribe do that?" she hissed. "I mean, we'd never trade our lands for your life anyway, but wasn't it in their advantage to hold you hostage?"

"It was," Trattam replied. "Or at least, it was to Merylus. These two individuals who saved us, however, thought differently. They were tired of the strife between our tribes. One of the Paragon even told me that some of his tribemates were sick of Merylus's rule in general. At any rate, it's clear that there are dragons out there who desire peace. And to achieve true peace, there is a single solution. All five tribes must come together as one."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/17/2014 5:47 PM

The clamor started over again, riding on a myriad of emotions. Telufahn paled at the prospect, then progressively smiled wider and wider. Sarka looked absolutely appalled and gritted her teeth at the new leader. She dug her claws into the soil.

"Are you serious?" she spat. "That's an even more ridiculous notion than Dirt tribe paragon helping you! It will never happen, and I wouldn't want to team up with those suckers anyway!"

"Yes, it will never happen if Paragon like you continue to think that way!" Trattam thundered. "Don't you all see? This is the problem. Each tribe is too angry at the other tribes to work together! But why are we angry? Isn't it because we are fighting, and we hate the atrocities inflicted upon us? Unify, and there will be no more reason to bite each others' heads off. Consider it for a moment."

Though Paragon were still mumbling to each other, the din had quieted down significantly, showing Trattam that his tribemates had enough sense to consider his proposition seriously. Only Sarka and a few other dragons stared at him like he had no brains. He gave everyone a moment to talk and think before raising his voice. What he was about to say next would hopefully appease the dissenters.

"Regrettably, negative feelings have reigned over tribal relations for so long that it would be difficult to persuade the other tribes with words and reason. I'm already having some trouble persuading you, my own tribe. If you would agree with my goals and join me on my quest, then I must warn you that there will very likely be bloodshed. We will attempt to negotiate peacefully first, but forceful invasion may be inevitable."

A few of the dragons in the crowd started to nod in acceptance. Thoughts of fighting put a gleam back into Sarka's eyes. However, the Grim still wasn't fully convinced. She puffed up her chest and challenged Trattam again. "If we do fight, how far would it have to go? You're not talking about some teeny tiny territory dispute. If you want to make a tribe join us by invading them, you'd have to conquer them entirely! I mean, I'm all for giving the other tribes a good thrashing, but we don't have enough dragons for that!"

"Which is why we must plan very, very carefully," Trattam responded, glad that she was at least considering his idea now. "We cannot embark on this mission right away, of course. We're still recovering from our last fight, and as you said, our numbers are too low to attack anyone right now. We must take several years to get back to our full strength and then target the other tribes one by one, starting with the weakest so if it does come down to battle, we can win more easily and make that tribe's fighters our own. As our numbers grow larger, as the tribes gradually hear of our conquests, they will become afraid. And if they are afraid, they may be more willing to listen to our negotiations. That is how I...no. That is how we will form the greatest nation of Paragon on this planet!"

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/17/2014 6:11 PM

With that, the ceremony ended. Paragon showed their support for the new leader by unleashing great roars and banging their feet and tails on the ground. A few excited individuals went up to speak with Trattam about his dream of a unified tribe. Others muttered underneath their breaths about the audacity and silliness of it all. Trattam knew it would take time to convince everyone in the tribe of his ideals, but that was fine, for they needed years of preparation anyway.

Telufahn, dizzy from all the thoughts his friend put into his head, slunk away quietly to a small meltwater stream that ran through the territory. He dipped his face in the cool waters and lapped some up to quench his thirst. It would be beautiful if they could all live in harmony. He looked up to the sky, where he imagined his parents must be soaring, finally together and happy. He envisioned all the lands he could travel without fear of overstepping a border. He thought about visiting Ixo and Hairou whenever he pleased and meeting new friends from the other tribes. How strong they would be if everybody united! It was a world too good to be true.

At the same time, although he would never admit it, he was terrified of Trattam's goals. He knew the Frost only wanted peace between all five tribes, but in order to achieve that peace, they would have to fight more. And it didn't sound like they would give defeated tribes any autonomy, either. Would a union formed through conquest really last? Could they complete the mission without combat at all?

More frightening, still, was the change Telufahn perceived in his friend. He had always known Trattam to be a noble dragon, but the new leader's eyes now burned with a strange fierceness that made the Primal shiver. In the back of his mind, he knew Trattam had stepped onto a dark and narrow road. He could only hope that in the years to come, his friend would be able to make it back to the light.

(Continued here.)

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous