A very strange place indeed, this Shrine to the Holy Triumvirate is nestled within the icy peaks of the Fe'gan Mountains. You will find the warmth of spirituality here, together with works of great sculptural design based on the Holy Triumvirate religion. (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Basantha Shrine

Re: Look Out For Her (Self)

Postby Thunder » 05/11/2016 8:13 PM

Nina stepped back and smiled at the family. Ralkner and Karin stayed where they were for a while, entwining their necks, wordlessly comforting each other. Then the two Voidbringers separated, gazing at one another. "Go rest, Karin," Ralkner said softly. "I will go look for your sister now."

Karin nodded. She gave Nina an appreciative nod before slipping into the den. Ralkner, too, dipped his head to the Pipe Paragon. "Thank you for being such a good friend to my daughter," he said. "If you ever need anything, please do not hesitate to ask."

"Oh, it's nothing, sir!" Nina laughed. "I'm just glad to see all of you happy."

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/11/2016 9:22 PM

Ralkner dashed away, leaving Nina all by herself. She stared at the den. Part of her wanted to go inside and keep Karin company, but she wasn't sure if the Voidbringer wanted to be alone. She sighed and opted to head towards the food stores. She hadn't eaten her noontime meal yet since she caught sight of Karin returning, and she hated doing anything on an empty stomach.

But before she could go far, something silvery barreled out of the bushes, nearly crashing into her. Nina shrieked and sprang away. Her first thought was that it was a wolf, which sometimes roamed the forests. This creature, however, had webbed wings, a swath of red curls on its head, and...

"R-rafale!" she gasped.

"Nina!" Rafale shouted. "Where is everybody?"

Nina noticed the panicked look on the younger Pipe's face. "Your father just went looking for you! And Karin is inside the den. Why, what's wrong?"

"We're about to get invaded by a LOT of dragons. We have to get the tribe together, NOW!"

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/12/2016 6:17 PM

As if on cue, a ferocious roar sounded somewhere in the distance. Without another word, Nina ran off into the woods, ready to round up the other Paragon. Rafale dove into the den, where she found Karin laying on her side, already napping. She shook her sister roughly. Karin groaned and raised her head. At first, the Voidbringer thought the blurry, gray form standing above her was her father. But as her vision cleared, she realized it was Rafale.

"Sister?" she cried, snapping awake. She leaped onto her feet and stared at Rafale with her jaws open. "How...how'd you get back? What's going on?"

"There's no time to talk!" Rafale yelled, turning back towards the den entrance. "Our tribe is under attack!"

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/13/2016 9:29 PM

Never in her lifetime had Karin seen an invasion, but she instinctively hurtled herself outside along with Rafale. As they dashed through the territory, they saw all their tribemates running in the same direction. "I think they're heading to the fields," the older sister gasped. But whether the open plains were better than the woods for battle or not, she couldn't tell.

They skidded to a stop upon reading the field. Already, most of the Wood tribe Paragon were gathered there, making a line to block off the forest. Some quaked in fear, and some roared in defiance, but no one ran away. Before them was an enormous mass of dragons, either on foot or flying circles in the air. Both sisters shivered at the formidable sight.

A Frost Paragon, whose yellow hide was streaked with jagged red and black markings, stood in front of all the other invaders with his head raised high. He gazed over the Wood dragons with neither a frown nor a smile, an expression that both Karin and Rafale found eerie. "He must be their leader," Rafale whispered. "Look how huge he is!"

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/14/2016 2:54 AM

Once all the Wood dragons were present, the imposing Frost Paragon cleared his throat. Rafale and Karin braced themselves, expecting an order to attack. But none of the enemies moved, and instead their leader began speaking.

"Paragon of the Wood tribe," he said, "my name is Trattam. I am the leader of both the Fire tribe and the Earth tribe, which have now combined as one."

There was a mesmerizing quality to his voice, something in its airy baritone that drew the sisters' attention. However, they were quickly broken out of the spell by the information he revealed. The Wood tribe murmured in confusion. "Combined as one?" an elderly dragon nearby gasped. "How? What on earth does that mean?"

Trattam raised his claws. Though he did not rule the Wood tribe, all of Karin and Rafale's tribemates fell silent, as if he had power over them anyway. "Now," he continued, "I understand that your tribe is a peaceful one. From my knowledge, you have not had a serious conflict in many years. I applaud you, for peace is my goal as well."

From somewhere within the Wood tribe crowd, Rhama stepped up, narrowing her eyes at the Frost Paragon. "If peace is your objective," she said, "why have you brought so many dragons with you?"

A thin smile appeared on Trattam's jaws. "I want to show you how strong we could all be if all the tribes unite as one. Yes, that is my ultimate plan... To bring all five tribes together and create a might Court of dragons. For too long, the other tribes have been fighting each other over food and land, causing countless deaths. If we are all one, then this needless fighting will stop. We can share our resources with one another and live in harmony."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/14/2016 3:08 AM

Hisses arose from all over the Wood tribe ranks. Rhama continued leering. "I am not convinced that your words do not hide a double meaning," she growled. "If you really came in peace, there would be no need to bring double the number of our dragons. Speak plainly, fellow dragon. Do you intend to hurt us?"

"That depends on your response," Trattam replied. "You must realize that your bountiful lands would be invaluable for an alliance, as the other tribes' territories are not so rich. If you join us willingly, we will spare you. But if you refuse...I cannot guarantee that you will remain unharmed."

The Wood dragons turned to one another, muttering and whispering. A few of them were beginning to back off. None looked ready to fight. Trattam observed them for a moment before raising his voice again. "I see you are having trouble deciding," he said. "Perhaps this will help you."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/14/2016 3:21 AM

A small gap appeared in Trattam's forces. From it emerged the Grim Paragon Rafale had seen before, who was shoving along a silver Voidbringer. The sisters cried out in shock. It was their father. He had scrapes all along his body and was giving the Grim Paragon a hateful glare.

"Father!" Rafale screamed. She dashed out from the formation and would have gone further if Karin did not step on her tail.

"Don't!" Karin hissed. "Do you want to die?"

Ralkner's head shot up at the sound of Rafale's voice. The two caught sight of each other, and Ralkner tried to move towards his daughter but was quickly blocked by the Grim. He snarled and lashed his tail.

"Deny us, and he will be the first to go," Trattam said. "If you'd like, I can give you until sunrise to decide."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/14/2016 3:17 PM

Now the Wood dragons began arguing. There were screams to resist, demands to fight. Equally vocal were the voices of the afraid, who protested that they should give in to Trattam and avoid bloodshed. Accusations of cowardice, treachery, and stupidity left snarling jaws. Rafale and Karin recoiled from their tribemates in fear. They had never seen their friends so angry and divided before.

The arguments grew louder and louder until Rafale couldn't stand it anymore. Jumping to Rhama's side, she took a deep breath and shrieked over the crowd. "EVERYONE! STOP IT RIGHT NOW!" The dragons immediately fell silent; all eyes turned towards the young Pipe, who had surprised even herself with how loudly she managed to yell. She glanced nervously at Rhama, who gave her a smile.

"Rafale is right," the Lavamancer said, turning towards the tribe. "Fighting among ourselves is not going to solve anything. I propose that we take Trattam's offer and sit down to discuss our options."

"How can we trust him though?" a massive male thundered from the back. "How do we know that he won't strike once we've let our guard down?"

From Trattam's ranks, the icy colored Carapace Rafale had seen stepped up. "Trattam is a dragon of his word," he said. "You have our guarantee that we will not attack while you are deliberating."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/14/2016 8:17 PM

Though mistrust still filled the atmosphere, the Wood tribe dragons slowly began walking back into the woods, occasionally throwing a wary glance over their shoulders at Trattam. The Frost was true to his word, however, and did not advance any further. He instead turned around and receded from the forest with the rest of his dragons. They took Ralkner with them, flanking the Voidbringer on all sides so he wouldn't escape. Ralkner threw his daughters one last look. They gazed right back until he was nothing more than a grayish speck among the Fire and Earth dragons.

Discussions of what to do went on for the entire day. There was nary a quiet place in the forest, and the sisters, feeling quite overwhelmed from everything that had happened, remained in their den for most of the time, only leaving to get food. Home felt strange without their father's protective presence. Karin felt particularly anxious; earlier she had lost Rafale, and now Ralkner was gone.

The sun set and the stars came up. Right before they headed off to sleep, the sisters heard footsteps near the den entrance. They tensed, thinking it was perhaps an enemy. But when they saw Rhama's head poking in, they welcomed her inside.

"Are the two of you all right?" she asked, sitting down in front of them. "I'm sure you're worried about your father."

"I feel so terrible," Rafale sighed. "Karin told me he had gone looking for me, so he must have run into those horrible dragons on the way. If I hadn't left, he wouldn't have been kidnapped."

"Rafale," Karin said, "if it weren't for you leaving, we wouldn't have heard about the invasion either. I mean, you still did give us a heart attack, but honestly? I'm not sure what would have happened if you didn't get the word out beforehand. If the entire tribe wasn't ready to meet that slimy Frost head on...maybe he would have just struck first."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/14/2016 8:32 PM

Rhama nodded. "Your sister is right. In rallying the tribe, you likely made us appear more formidable to our foe. The whole tribe has you to thank, Rafale. I'm sure we'd be heaping gifts on you if we weren't all so short on time."

Rafale hid her face behind her wing. She hadn't expected so much praise, much less from both her sister and one of the most respected dragons in the tribe. "I-it was just the right thing to do," she stammered. "You don't need to give me anything!"

The Lavamancer chuckled. "There's no need to be so modest. You should be proud of yourself. I know Ralkner would be proud of you too."

At the mention of Ralkner, they fell silent for a moment. His absence seemed even more striking than before. Rhama sighed and rose to her feet. "Before I go," she said, "I must ask you what you think we should do. You two are young, but you are still Wood dragons. Your opinions matter just as much as everyone else's."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/14/2016 8:55 PM

Karin bared her teeth and lashed her tail. "I...I want to say we should fight back," she replied. "It's totally hypocritical to say you want peace and then threaten an invasion. But they have father in their claws. I still can't think of when I lost mom without feeling pain. I...don't want to lose father too. Maybe that's selfish. I don't know."

"Well I don't want to fight," Rafale sniffled. "I don't care if we have to share our land with some mean strangers. But if any of you or father died...I wouldn't be able to handle that. So please, let's just surrender and make sure no one gets killed!"

Karin shook her head. "You do realize there's nothing stopping anyone from hurting us, right? They might not keep their promises. Besides, that Trattam guy said he wanted to get the other tribes too. What if he just makes us fight the other tribes instead?"

Rafale bristled. "But do you think anyone here knows how to fight well? And did you see how many dragons he had? If we tried to fight, we'd lose! And since we're not used to fighting, maybe he won't make us fight the other tribes. Please, Karin. Please don't vote to fight."

The older sister sighed. "All right. If that's what you really want, then fine. I vote not to fight."

Rhama smiled sadly. "I know it's a tough decision. But I promise that no matter what happens, I will protect both of you. Thank you for your thoughts. Please come back to the fields at sunrise. We'll see what happens then."

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 05/15/2016 6:55 PM

The next morning, all the dragons gathered in the fields again. There was an aura of somberness hovering over the Wood tribe, and Rafale and Karin knew what they had decided even before Rhama stepped out of the crowd to announce it. Facing Trattam, the Lavamancer let out a deep sigh. "The Wood tribe, by popular vote, has chosen to concede," she announced. "We willing give our lands to your cause. However, we ask that you either leave us out of any future battles or train us to fight. As you know, we are a tribe that has not faced conflict in a while. We may not be suited to battle."

Trattam smiled in satisfaction. "Thank you, Wood tribe. I will make sure you are well treated, and I will heed your desires. Welcome to the Court."

His dragons let out roars of triumph that rang across the entire territory. From within their ranks, Ralkner ran out, heading straight for his daughters. They met in the middle of the field and nuzzled. "I love you, my daughters," Ralkner breathed. "No matter what happens, let's stay together as family and protect one another."

"As family!" Rafale cheered.

"As family," Karin agreed.

Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous