A very strange place indeed, this Shrine to the Holy Triumvirate is nestled within the icy peaks of the Fe'gan Mountains. You will find the warmth of spirituality here, together with works of great sculptural design based on the Holy Triumvirate religion. (+2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Basantha Shrine

Guardian; Hunter Hunt (P) + RE1 or RE2?

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 1:33 AM

The snow fell softly against the already hard packed earth. A lone figure sat on the cold, frozen steps, his hands wrapped tightly around his shoulders, curling in on himself to drive out the cold. His body shook violently, but whether it was from the cold, or his violent sobs, no one could tell. A lone tear trickled down his cheek, and he heaved a long, drawn out sigh, his shoulders slumping, and his body going slack. Lifting up his head, his silver hair coated with a fine layer of soft powder, the young boy's aquamarine eyes scanned the horizon, seeing nothing but white.

It seemed like he'd been waiting for eternity. He leaned back on the palms of his hands, not really feeling the cold of the frozen stone steps beneath him. There was nothing out there but snow, it seemed, at least, nothing he could scent. He muttered under his breath, swiping at his eyes with the sleeve of his overly large black shirt. He wished Greymahlkin would return soon. He'd been sitting out here for hours. His skin was turning blue, and he could no longer feel his legs or arms. His puffy red eyes betrayed his tear shed, and the tear stains that ran down his cheek showed just how long he had been crying. What for? For something that did not exist, was never there?

He glanced behind him, eyes gazing at the large wooden doors with a steady, unnerving blue stare. After a few moments, he turned away, shaking gently from head to toe. He was so young, too young to have felt such sorrow and heartbreak. And now there was nothing left for him, it seemed. Nothing but his small, broken family; his brother, his trainer. He swiped a hand across his face, sniffling shortly, and hiccupped, looking like a lost child who had forgotten his way home. After a few moments, a soft sound caught his attention, and he glanced up to see his brother trudging through the snow, a small sack in his hands.

He perked up a bit, and wiped his eyes fiercely, not wanting his appearance to give away his tears. He didn't want his brother to see him cry. Greymahlkin's black hair and baggy shirt were a dead giveaway. His large, black eyes gazed determinedly ahead, and he walked with a slight limp from the long walk, his face hard and set. The young boy stood, and rushed to his older sibling, embracing him around his middle. Greymahlkin patted the young child's hair, and gently turned him around, steering him back towards the steps. "Sorry I took so long, Beecko,"he muttered. "It was kind of hard finding food up here. All this snow really makes walking difficult."he grunted as he pulled out a small loaf of bread and handed it to the boy.

Beecko took it happy, and bit into it, and Greymahlkin studied the large wooden doors with a solemn expression. So, this was the Basantha Shrine, eh? It was an ancient, imposing building, one he truly wished he did not have to enter. His eyes strayed over his shoulder, to where his brother was munching away happily on the bread, and digging around in the small bag for the strips of dried jerky he had brought to gobble down as well. Greymahlkin closed his eyes, turning back around to face the shrine. His lips were pressed in a thin line, and he paused a moment to collect his thoughts. Why was he here? To find a Hunter, for his brother. To find a guardian for the young Albie.

It was his sole purpose, this grim and cold day. He would not be around forever to protect Beecko, and now, with war looming on the horizon, Greymahlkin was certain he'd be dragged into it. In fact, it was only a matter of time before he found himself a badge, and joined one of the sides.  But Beecko...He was too young. He did not need to see such destruction and pain. He had already lost two of the most important people in his life; their parents. He didn't need any more pain. Slowly, he reached out a hand, and placed his palm on the solid, ice encrusted wooden door. Sighing, he turned back to his brother. "Beecko,"he rumbled. "Let's go. It'll be warmer inside. We need to get out of this cold..."

And begin our hunt, he thought dully, pushing open the heavy door with only minimal effort. Beecko grabbed the bag, a piece of bread hanging from his mouth, and trotted after his brother, taking long, leaping strides to keep up with Greymahlkin's sure and steady pace. "Brother,"he called, after the two had crossed the large halls. The stone sentinels loomed before them, and Beecko shrunk back, before charging forward to grab a hold of the tail of his brother's shirt. This place terrified him. Why were they here? "Brother...Brother what are we doing here?"

Greymahlkin glanced down at Beecko, smiling encouragingly and ruffling his hair. "A few things. You'll know soon enough." They were nearing the end of a dark hallway, and Greymahlkin turned into a room, a great deal smaller than the main area. All along the walls, candles flickered and leapt, their tiny flames dancing in the darkness. It was quiet, with only the occasional trainer and creature murmuring something under their breath, and moving along the wall or out the door. Greymahlkin sucked in a breath, his eyes taking in the scene. He padded forward on silent feet, his black eyes soaking in the light.

As he reached a small corner of the room, he stopped. Beside the small candles were little matches, and he picked one up, striking it, and lighting two unlit candles. The candles flickered, and glowed brightly, their light illuminating his face. Beecko stayed close to his brother's side, but something off to the corner caught his eyes...Greymahlkin silently bowed his head, hands clasped in front of his chest. Quietly, he murmured a silent prayer, hoping they would find a hunter, and grieving for his lost parents. "I will give anything up for this Hunter,"he murmured into the ominous darkness. "Anything you ask, you can have. Even if it is my life, I shall gladly give it. Please, just answer my plea...Please. Not for me, but for Beecko. For my brother..."

Beecko, meanwhile, had strayed off to the corner of the room, where a large door rested peacefully in the wall. A strange symbol was etched onto the door. It looked like an odd arrow, with a circle beneath it. Tentatively, he reached out a hand and touched it with feather-light fingertips, his aquamarine eyes going wide with curiosity. "I wonder what you are? What do you mean?"he murmured, his voice so soft, it was barely audible. "What is behind this door?" He vaguely heard his brother's words, and before he could push the door open more than enough to fit himself through, he paused, one foot beyond the threshold, his face half shadowed by the unknown. "A hunter? What on earth is that?"

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 5:43 PM

Greymahlkin glanced up, noticing his brother had strayed form his side. "Beecko," he growled. "Get back over here!" Beecko jumped, giving off a small squeak, and scurried back over.

Greymahlkin's eyes softened, and he sighed. "Sorry, but you know you shouldn't wander off. especially in a place like this." Beecko nodded timidly, and hugged the small bag close to his chest, eyes glancing around.

"What is a Hunter, brother?" he asked, after a few moments. Greymahlkin studied Beecko fro a brief second, then turned away.

"Someone who will help you. We're going to find one." Beecko sat down on a small brown bench, his eyes looking tiredly around the room.

"Well, when he shows up, wake me, all right? I wanna see him too." With that, he rested his head against the cool wood, and fell fast asleep.

Greymahlkin sat beside him, letting his brother snuggle against his arm. "Perhaps there is something else I can do to make this Hunter appear. What do you want from me?" he whispered into the darkness. "What can I give up that you will take?"

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 5:52 PM

Sighing, Greymahlkin leaned back against the bench, his eyes drifting shut. He let his body relax, drifting off into a peaceful slumber. He awoke a half an hour later, his body sore from the awkward sleeping position. He bent his neck, hearing it crack, and glanced down at Beecko.

He was still asleep. "Still no Hunter?" he asked. Sitting up carefully, he gently laid Beecko back on the bench, and padded over to kneel by the candles. Staring into the flickering flames, the Glacial Albie sighed.

"What if I gave up something that was precious to me? Something that I valued above all else?"he asked, his voice louder this time.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 5:54 PM

The soft sound of footsteps pitter pattering behind him, brought the Albie's attention to the door. He raised his head, black eyes flashing, and his bangs falling over his forehead. he had believed they were alone. But it was not to be.

A very unladylike snort caught his attention, and he looked down to see a Hydrokuhna, her blue eyes resting on his own. She cleared her throat. "Sorry,"she grumbled. "Thought this place was unoccupied." But instead of turning and leaving, she padded all the way in, her blue fur seeming to shimmer like liquid in the pale light.

"Not that you care or anything, but I'm Skystar,"the Hydrokuhna mumbled. There was a light in her eyes that seemed odd, but Greymahlkin paid it no mind. "Who're you and what're you doing here?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 5:57 PM

The Glacial Albie crossed his arms, standing up to his full height. "That's nice to know. I'm Greymahlkin."He looked annoyed, but decided to divulge a bit of information anyway.

"Looking for a Hunter. My brother Beecko is over there on the bench. Don't go near him,"he said, when he noticed the Hydrokuhna give the bench a curious look.

"A Hunter, you say?"Skystar asked, looking intrigued. "Sounds interesting. Mind if I join you?"Greymahlkin sighed. "Sure, if you want. Why not?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 6:00 PM

The two sat in relative silence, before Greymahlkin spoke up once more. "I don't know what to do."

Skystar looked curious, her eyes glowing in the pale light. "About what? This Hunter? Easy. Give up something you value above all else. Why not give him your brother?" Her dark sense of humor did not please the Glacial Albie, and he gave her a cold stare.

"That wasn't what I was thinking. I valued him above all else, but I would never, ever give him up. I was thinking...What if I...Gave up my animal form. What if I remained a human for all time? Would a Hunter accept such an offer?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 6:02 PM

Skystar looked intrigued. "Remain a human? How droll. Honestly, I think any Hunter would be satisfied with that little exchange. But what if they want more? What'll you give up then? I doubt there is much more you could part with, right?"She settled herself comfortably near the side of the wall, watching the flames flicker and dance.

Greymahlkin thought there was something oddly haunting about this Kuhna. She seemed so distant, so uncaring and unkind. But there was something resting in her eyes that he could not identify. Crossing his arms, he sat down on the bench, getting comfortable once more.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 6:07 PM

"I don't know,"he replied, after a few moments had gone by. "What else could I give up? Keystones, food, treasure? I don't have any of that."He pondered for a while, his black eyes thoughtful. He hadn't thought about that. What if the Hunter rejected his offer? What then?

Sighing, he rested his elbows on his knees, his eyes catching the soft light of the candles strewn about the room. The Hydrokuhna thought he looked quite handsome, albeit mysterious. She couldn't understand why he was so cynical, and so ready to give up what he had.

"Maybe my sight. My hearing. My voice. My life. I don't know. All I know is that I will not always be around to protect my brother. I cannot ignore the war, or the lives it has taken and will take. And if I ma one of them? What then? Who will look after him?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 6:11 PM

Skystar snorted. "Have you so little faith in the strength of your kind? Your brother could look after himself. What's to stop him from becoming stronger? nothing but you. If you coddle and protect him his whole life, he will have nothing to strive for. He will remain weak and defenseless. Can you not see how you hurt him by keeping him safe?"

She tilted her head, her ears cocked towards him. "The way I see it, you both should give something up for this Hunter. Perhaps then it will be truly powerful. Maybe you won't have to worry about that. but still...Let your brother stand on his own two feet. He's got good legs and a heartbeat. Let him get up and use them."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 6:12 PM

Greymahlkin stared at Skystar, his eyes a bit wide, mouth parted in surprise. He had never thought about it that way. what if he was destroying any future his brother might have had? He could bear to think of it that way. hanging his head, he heaved a heavy sigh, his shoulders falling slowly. "I know, I know. You are right, and it pains me to admit it. I'm so blind that a complete stranger has to point it out to me."

Lifting his head, he smiled sardonically, his black hair falling across his eyes. "But I have more faith than that in Beecko. He has overcome so many obstacles in his short life, that this would only be another one of them. As long as he is safe, he can work hard to achieve what he wants. This will not weaken him, but strengthen his resolve. I know he'll overcome any obstacle in his path."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 6:14 PM

Skystar smiled darkly. "Your brother sounds like a true warrior, but I wonder how he would stand up in a real battle?"Her two tails curled around her body, and she rested her weight against he wall, curling into a ball as she spoke to him.

Her eyes glowed with a dark light, and he shuddered internally. "But far be it from me to call you a liar."

She shrugged nonchalantly. "What is your story, anyways? Why are you two here alone? Don't you have a trainer?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 6:14 PM

Greymahlkin tilted his head. "Of course I do. Don't you?" He smiled lightly. "Her name is Tabitha, but she's off on some foolhardy quest with a friend of mine, another Albie. I was not right for the job, so I elected to stay back and be with my brother."His face became grim, and a shadow passed across his features.

"We weren't up for traveling. You see...Our parents had been killed...Only...Recently. Beecko wasn't up for anything at all, to tell you the truth. He was nothing more than a shadow of his former self. I think he lost all the confidence and hope he ever had. It's hard to lose someone you love, but it's harder to see them wasting away before your eyes."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 6:16 PM

The Hydrokuhna listened solemnly to his tail. She wouldn't know what it was like to lose her parents. She had never known them in the first place. She actually had no idea where she was at all. "Interesting,"she murmured.

"Such heartbreak, such sadness. And at such a young age. I cannot imagine how he might cope."She rested her head on her fluffy tails, eyes straying to the sleeping form of the Biolune Albie. He was curled up on the bench, his silver hair shadowing his face, and his chest rising and falling steadily.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 6:17 PM

"Yeah,"Greymahlkin sighed. "He's very strong, even for such a young guy."he glanced at Skystar. "What about you?"Do you have a story?" He was genuinely interested in anything the Hydrokuhna had to say.

She seemed like an interesting character, and he'd like to know more. Besides, they had time to kill, right? He leaned back, his eyes staying glued to Skystar, waiting for her to speak.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 02/09/2008 6:18 PM

Skystar pondered a moment, before she opened her mouth to speak. "Not much I can tell you, truthfully. I live a long way from here, in a place called Terrace Park. But recently, I've had an itch to explore. So I ended up here. I'm rather fond of snow, anyways, so the cold doesn't bother me. And it's not like I had much of a life back there with my friends. Lakuara, a Kuhna who lives there, went off in search of something too. I guess we all sort of felt the itch, you could say. We split up, and I haven't spoken with them since."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next