The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Re: Miles Beneath the Rock [self; L]

Postby crow » 02/09/2018 1:14 AM

Part of the reason he worked for Zachariah was because the other employers were worse--- all three of them. It wasn't a big business, sending people down to prospect or do the tricky mining, where they couldn't just blast everything to hell once they found the ore. They had a hard enough time finding anyone to do the jobs themselves, much less train anyone else. Most of the people doing the teaching were those either too old or too permanently injured to go down anymore.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby crow » 02/09/2018 1:18 AM

Even those were few and far between, however. Most of the miners didn't live to old age; and most cases that ended in injury also ended in death. Or, in some cases, the former miner survived, only to become too traumatized to have anything to do with the business, even if they never had to go back down to the depths again themselves. Not that John blamed them for that. He'd seen some pretty grisly injuries in his day.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 02/09/2018 1:20 AM

"But," Bucky was saying, "I'm not sure they'd need to be able to identify a vein, to be honest. The scientist said 'flora and fauna', right? That's just live stuff. We don't even have training to deal with live stuff." They were passing through a wider bit of tunnel now, so his voice echoed slightly in the space.

John rolled his eyes. "That's because nothing lives in this hell pit, kid," he said. "You ever seen a living thing down here besides us?"
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 02/09/2018 1:24 AM

Bucky paused, and then said, "Well, no, I guess I haven't, no..."

"Me neither, and I been coming down a lot longer than you have," said John. "And you know why we don't see anything? It's because the only creatures stupid enough to stick their arses down here are fools like us, who get paid by assholes with money to do it. No natural-born creature with any sense would be doing this, but us humans don't have any sense."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 02/09/2018 1:27 AM

He spat to emphasize his words for good measure. He realized after a moment that Bucky was staring at him, and said none too patiently, "What? I got something on my face?"

"No, but... I think you just insulted yourself, Mr John," said Bucky. His brows were furrowed, but there was a slight smile starting at the corners of his mouth, as if he were trying to suppress it, and was increasingly unable to manage to do so despite his efforts.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 02/09/2018 1:29 AM

"Hey, you little punk, are you laughing at me?" said John, even more crossly than before.

"No, Mr John, absolutely not," said Bucky, who was not the least bit convincing. His voice quavered as he spoke, further damning him. John retaliated by smacking him in the shoulder, but that merely had the effect of breaking the dam, and Bucky let out the giggles he'd been apparently holding back.

John sighed. He really did get no respect around these parts.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 02/09/2018 1:56 AM

Bucky hadn't exactly been wrong about what John had said, but then, John hadn't been wrong either. It was true that nothing with any sense would come down here. If he had more sense and less debt, he probably wouldn't be down here either. Or maybe he would, if he only got the money and not any more sense, just because it was habit, and he didn't know how to do anything else. There were guys like that too, who could have retired, and didn't, and found their deaths because of it.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 02/09/2018 2:20 AM

Bucky didn't let the subject drop, however. "I mean," he said, "if there was nothing down here, why would they waste the money sending an expedition? Even if they aren't paying people, it still costs money to buy all the testing equipment and put out those flyers."

"That one's easy," said John. "Rich people have no sense. And damn if some of those scientists have any sense in their heads either, come to think of it." They had the term 'mad scientist' for a reason.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 02/10/2018 11:19 PM

He was hearing in the news all the time about how some guy blew up an entire lab trying to do something stupid, so he didn't exactly have much faith in the mental integrity of that vocational community either, never mind whether they thought that assessment was a fair one. Takes one to know one, but he'd seen a few of his peers blow themselves up over the years, so he was reasonably well acquainted with the kind of mentality that led to overzealous use of explosions, if nothing else.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/25/2018 3:59 PM

Bucky frowned, still unconvinced. "What if we really do find something down there?" he said. The kid did always like to waste his breath. John sighed.

"Then we bag it and take it to those scientists, see what they pay us. Happy?" He really didn't think they would find anything down here--- anything that moved, anyway--- but if they did, he'd be happy to look at it as a windfall.

"You don't think it'll be really big, do you?" said Bucky.

"Why? Scared?" said John.

[Wild Pet Found]
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous