The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Re: Of All the Places to Be... [Caving; L] [H by Z]

Postby crow » 08/28/2017 10:42 PM

"You've got to be kidding me," Fabio said, even though he was well aware that she wasn't. "Are you serious? You want me to play beast wrangler to that thing?!"

"They fetch a pretty good price on the black market pet trade. I don't think I've even seen that shade of green before. That quack professor said something about new species down in these caves, right?" The sound of Melanie's typing undercut her words. She must have been researching this stuff while she was looking up information on the Stargoyles. It sort of made Fabio wish he hadn't asked.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby crow » 08/28/2017 10:44 PM

"Come on, where's your sense of adventure? We'll be like pirates, making off with priceless treasure!" Melanie said. She sure seemed enthusiastic about it.

"Yeah, easy for you to say, when I'm the one who's going to have to do the work. Look, I could die doing this," he said.

"You could die doing lots of things," Melanie pointed out. "Hasn't happened yet."

The whole time they were talking, the Stargoyle was just... standing there, watching them. Fabio had been keeping an eye on it, but the initial spike of fear was wearing off now that it hadn't done anything in a while.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 08/28/2017 10:46 PM

He knew from his lessons that it was hard to keep that specific pitch of terror up for very long, but it was also hard to be scared of something that was by the moment looking more and more like it wasn't even alive. Hell, the challenge might not even be wrangling it, but moving it to the entrance.

He sighed. "How much did you say the price was, for these things?"

"Well, it's hard to get a good estimate, since I can't find examples of a white-and-green dappled breed anywhere. But even the passably pretty ones trade for..." Melanie rattled off an absurd number, and even Fabio was taken aback.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 08/28/2017 10:49 PM

"Mhm. Told ya. What do you think? Worth the trouble now, right?" Melanie said smugly.

Much as he hated when she was right about stuff like this... she was right. That was exorbitant. "It makes my head hurt, thinking that people have that much money to drop on things like this," he said, but he was slowly approaching the Stargoyle now. "Easy there, buddy, not going to hurt you..."

"Yeah, we just want to pawn you off to rich folks with more money than sense," Melanie supplied.

"Not helping," Fabio muttered to her under his breath.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 08/29/2017 2:34 AM

The Stargoyle stayed perfectly still as Fabio approached, until he was almost touching the thing, before shrinking back a little. Fabio froze completely as soon as he saw it move, but even then the Stargoyle didn't go very far, and didn't bother doing so a second time when Fabio tried again, very gingerly, to place his hand on its nose.

It was cold, and it felt like a rock. Great. What did he do from here?

"It let me touch it," he said, hoping Melanie would have some useful contributions to make here.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous