The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

This is what we do [Caving: Possible M?] [H by C]

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 7:50 AM

Sawyer was running a bit behind schedule. His blasted alarm hadn't gone off the night before, and then there had been a mix-up in which his bags had accidentally been taken by someone else, and he had been forced to track them down. There was no way he was entering the cave without his camera and plenty of film. The whole purpose for coming - for him, at least - was the chance to be the first person to photograph his little corner of the cave. How cool would it be to have his name go down in history books, as one of the first explorers of the newly discovered caves?

Of course, he had to actually get there, first. The large backpack on his back and the camera around his neck created some resistance as he attempted to hurry towards the meeting spot outside the cave. He paused to rub his hands together, blowing on the. The air here was cold, but hopefully it would be warmer inside the caves.

Finally, he reached his destination...nearly half an hour past the time that he had reminded Artemis over and over again to meet him.

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7114
Donate

Re: This is what we do [Caving: Possible M?]

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 7:53 AM

To his surprise, there was no sign of the woman. Dropping his backpack for a moment's relief from the weight, he began looking around, wondering if this was perhaps the wrong spot. A quick survey of the area told him that he was indeed in the right place. Maybe it was Artemis who had gotten lost? She was known to act before thinking, so it wouldn't be surprising for her to have wandered off. Then again...

Sawyer peered into the cave, a look of panic appearing on his face. "Artemis!" he called, his voice echoing inside of the cave. "If you went in there alone and got yourself killed, I swear to the gods-"

"Why are you yelling at the cave?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 7:58 AM

The woman who belonged to the voice was standing behind Sawyer, hands on her hips. "You're late," she said sternly, once he had turned to face her. "Weren't you the one telling me that time was of the essence? Something about a limited time frame, and how it was important for us to get here before the place was swarmed with every explorer in Evelon."

"Me?" Sawyer pointed an accusatory finger at Artemis. "Where were you? I thought you had gone inside the cave without me or something."

Artemis' lips curled up in a grin. "Is that why you were yelling? Aw, were you worried about me? That's so sweet of you! But for future reference, there's really no need for you to look after me. I'm pretty good at taking care of myself, ya know."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 8:03 AM

Pressing his palm to his forehead, Sawyer took a long, deep breath to calm himself. Opening his eyes, he nodded at Artemis. "Alright, so we're already running behind schedule. Now that we're both here, why don't we get our stuff and..."

The sentence trailed off as he realized that the woman had no backpack. She was wearing her normal utility belt, and the pockets looked as if they had been stuffed full. But aside from that, she didn't seem to have brought any sort of gear with her.

"Artemis," Sawyer spoke in a dangerously quiet voice. "Please tell me that you brought a backpack with you. You were supposed to provide the food, medical supplies, and water."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 8:12 AM

"I don't need a backpack for that stuff," Artemis claimed. Unzipping one of the pouches of her belt, she pulled out a small tablet, no bigger than a pill. "See this? It's an entire day's worth of nutrients. Pour a bit of water on it, and it'll become a full-sized meal!" Reaching for her water bottle, she held it up. "And this? It can convert the humidity in the air into water. So we can refill it pretty much whenever we need to." Finally, she pulled out an object that was shaped like a pen, but much thicker. "And this little doo-hicky can scan for injuries and sicknesses. It can check your temperature, scan for broken bones, it'll even tell you if you've been poisoned! And of course, I have medical supplies for pretty much any circumstance."

Sawyer's left eye twitched as he stared at her. If it had been anyone else, he would have refused to believe that such normal-looking objects could actually be used in such great ways. But he had seen what Artemis' tools could do, and he knew that she didn't make claims if she wasn't able to back them up.

"Fine," he said finally, picking up his backpack and sliding the arm straps over his shoulders. "Let's get you and your magic toys into the cave so we can start exploring."

"It's not magic," Artemis argued as she took the lead. "It's simple science."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: This is what we do [Caving: Possible M?] [H by C]

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 5:10 PM

Almost as soon as they entered the cave, Artemis had switched on the flashlight function of her wristband. A large beam of light illuminated the path ahead of them, making it possible for them to venture deeper inside without risking tripping over anything or falling down any dark holes.

"So far it just looks like a normal cave," the woman said, sounding disappointed. "I was kinda hoping that there would be bones and stuff all over, or a big monster waiting for us to walk in. Wouldn't that have been cool?"

Sawyer, who was only half-listening, simply nodded and let out a quiet, "Hm." He had noticed something odd about the walls of the cave, and was leaning in for a closer examination.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 5:23 PM

After watching her partner lean close to the walls and stare at the moss growing there, Artemis let out a loud, overly dramatic sigh. "Ugh, are we gonna sit here and stare at moldy walls all day? Let's go in further, and see what else is in the cave."

"Hold on," Sawyer held up a hand to silence her. "There's something quite interesting about this moss. I think it may be emitting a very faint source of light."

Swinging the light over to beam on the spot where Sawyer was looking, Artemis squinted her eyes. Only a moment passed before she shook her head. "I'm not seeing what you're seeing," she said. "Maybe you shoulda gotten your vision checked before we came here."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 5:27 PM

Sawyer growled, sending a scathing look the woman's way. "Of course you can't see it when you're shining your light right on it. Turn that thing off. Then you'll see what I'm talking about."

Although she continued to grumble, Artemis flipped a switch and the light disappeared. Almost immediately, the walls around them were lit up in a spectacular display of blues and greens. It wasn't enough light to actually illuminate the surroundings, but it was a strong, steady glow that caused Artemis' jaw to drop.

"Whoa," she breathed. "That's...that's beautiful!"

For once, she and Sawyer appeared to be in agreement. "Indeed, it is. I have to get some pictures of this. Would you mind leaving that light off for a little while?" He reached for his camera, trying to find the best angle for what could possibly be an award-winning photograph one day.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 5:34 PM

The two moved deeper into the cave, astounded to find that there was even more of the moss as they went further. Artemis once again turned on her light, but this time adjusted the level so that it was barely illuminated the space directly in front of them. It was enough for them to see where they were going, but not enough to ruin Sawyer's photos - or so she hoped.

As the man clicked away with his camera, getting a variety of different shots, Artemis tried to figure out where they should go next. "So, we have a choice to make," she said. "Do we want to keep going forward, or take one of these tunnels to the side?"

"Just a second," Sawyer replied, somewhat distracted. "I want to get a few more shots before we leave this area."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 5:51 PM

While her partner continued wandering around with his camera, Artemis took a closer look at their three possible options for a path. By the time Sawyer finally came over to join her, she had pretty much made up her mind.

"I think we should go to the right, first," she said. "Eventually we'll get around to exploring the rest of the area though, right? Because I have a good feeling about going left, too."

Sawyer raised on eyebrow. "Then why don't we just go left?"

"Because, we want to get started on the right foot!" Artemis giggled at her own pun. "No but really, I just like the idea of going right first."

Rolling his eyes, Sawyer gestured for her to go on ahead. "Fine, we can go to the right. But you lead the way. If your choice proves to be fatal, I don't want to be the one having to pay for it."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 8:05 PM

Once again, it was Artemis who led the way forward. "Oh wow, this place is like one big room...er, cave room, I guess?" She shrugged, although there was no way of knowing whether or not Sawyer could see the gesture, since she didn't know if his light was pointed on her or somewhere else.

"I'm guessing this tunnel opens up into a wider space, right? Is that what you're trying to say?" Sawyer chuckled softly. "I wonder what sorts of things we might find here?" As the path widened enough for the two of them to stand side by side, Sawyer stopped beside Artemis. He looked around, but his flashlight, as bright as it was, couldn't show him the whole picture of what was in front of him. "Hey, Art, does that light get any brighter?" he asked.

Artemis grinned. "You bet! Watch this!"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 8:10 PM

Twisting a small dial, the light began to grow in intensity and size, until it illuminated a large part of the area in front of them. The two took a step, and instantly paused.

"Hey...that's sand, isn't it?" Artemis knelt down, still keeping her wrist pointed forward so that Sawyer wouldn't complain when the light disappeared. "What is sand doing in a cave?"

But Sawyer wasn't looking at the sand. He was looking beyond it, at the large stretch of water directly in front of them. "Uh, I'm guessing it has something to do with the lake." He moved past the kneeling woman, to stand right in front of the water. "I haven't seen an underground lake before. This is pretty amazing."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 8:16 PM

"Let me guess," Artemis stood, brushing her palm off on her pants. "You're going to want to get some pictures of it, right?"

Sawyer grinned. "Well, naturally. I told you, I plan on documenting everything." He was already grabbing his camera and backing up, so that he could fit as much of the lake into the picture as possible. Then, he paused. "Hey, you've been filling in that map, right?"

Artemis paled for a moment. "Oh, whoops." Scrambling for the paper they had been given, she unfolded it. The quill that had been provided had quickly been disposed of, and instead the woman pulled out a pen of her own making. Scanning it slowly over the paper, she watched as the area was slowly filled in by the image in her mind. "There," she said. "All filled out! Well, all of it that we've explored so far, at least."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 8:19 PM

As Sawyer went back to taking pictures, Artemis moved closer to the water. Trying to stay out of his way as much as possible, she laid on her stomach in the sand, reaching out towards the water. She dipped her fingers in slowly...only to immediately pull them out, with a shriek.

"Art!" Sawyer dropped his camera - which luckily was saved by the strap around his neck - and rushed to her. "What is it? Did something bite you?"

Cradling the hand to her chest, Artemis managed to gasp, "The water. It's...cold!"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/17/2017 8:23 PM

Sawyer's expression became blank, unreadable. "Seriously?" he said in a monotone voice that didn't sound all that pleased. "I was afraid that some sort of monster had taken your fingers off."

Shooting him a grin, Artemis pushed to her feet. "That woulda been cool, huh? Hey, do you think there are monsters in this lake?" Reaching for a nearby stone, she chucked it into the water as hard as she could. "Here, monster, monster, monster!" she called. "Come on out, so we can take some pictures of you!" Turning to Sawyer, she asked, "That's what you would want to do, right?"

Rubbing his forehead, Sawyer shook his head. "There's no going forward, so let's head back the way we came. And let's hope we aren't followed by some killer cave lake monster."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next