The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Wandering in the Dark [Caving] [H by C][M - L, S?]

Postby Jedi » 08/17/2017 3:57 PM

Jericho the Wanderer

I study the map, trying to decipher where the entrance to the cave is. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck with finding it yet. What I have found its several small pits where my foot has gotten stuck a few times. I try to compare the cave map to one of a map of the mountains, but it isn't offering any assistance. I'm also reluctant to use the feather pen to draw any more on the map. Who knows what diseases I might contract through that bird. That's when I hear someone yell "Hey!" just a little while away.

Travon Miles

I look forward through the brush, relieved to see the bodyguard I'd hired a day ago to protect me. Of course, I didn't have anything to pay him, so I offered half the cut from whatever riches we might find. "I can't seem to find entrance," I say to him. "And my foot keeps getting caught in the crevices." He waves me on. "The entrance is over here, now try to keep up. I'm your bodyguard, not your babysitter."

Like a mighty wind that bends the trees
We are strong
United
Mates

Imp. Docs - Zoo Pen - Wishlist
Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 22
Donate

Re: Wandering in the Dark [Caving]

Postby Jedi » 08/17/2017 4:06 PM

I try to keep up, but it's difficult when Travon is so much more use to this. Once again, I find myself about to fall behind. "Travon, wait up," I call out to him. He doesn't return, which worries me. Perhaps I fell too far behind and how he can't hear me. Regardless, I need to press forward. I just hope I don't-

Crap! Looking down, I see that my foot's caught again. I try to pull it out once more, but it won't budge. "Travon!" Looking all around, I can't seem to remember which way I was going. Now I'm lost on the side of an unfamiliar mountain, with nothing to save me.

A minute passes by and I start to hear rustling in the foliage. "Thank god you came back." But I spoke too soon.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/17/2017 4:11 PM

Coming through the bushes is a deadly Nonaga. It creeps it's way towards me, an evil look in its sapphire eyes. I can tell it wants to make a meal out of me. Is this how I was destined to die? I haven't even lived that long and my life is about to end.

Desperate to keep on living, I start picking up rocks and throwing them at it. Out of half a dozen, only one lands on my target, but that only makes it madder. It winds back its tail, ready to strike.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/17/2017 4:18 PM

A set of white claws digs it's way into the tail of the Nonaga. "Travon!" I shout at my guardian. "You were going to pay me for guarding you, weren't you?" He pulls the creature back, ripping through it like tissue paper. I've never seen anyone get so viscous before.

"Thank you," I say to him. "Can you help me out of this hole?" I point my hand towards my foot, which is trapped between the stone surfaces. He rolls his eyes and walks towards me. Getting down on his knees, he's getting ready to untie my shoe, or so I thought. In one swift motion, he tears through all the laces, freeing my foot. "Hey, my shoe!" He glares at me. "Don't wear such big footwear. It only slows you down." I can't help it if my feet are big. I'm part paragon too.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/17/2017 4:24 PM

Now that I'm walking lobsided, I decide to rid myself of the other shoe. But unlike Travon, I decide to untie it. It'd be best not to ruin my clothing, especially if I need it later. But I doubt that it'd be of much use with only one shoelace.

This time, I'm able to actually keep up with Travon. He must've been right about the shoes. But I don't mention that aloud. "Here we are," he says to me, but I don't see any cave, just a moss covered mountainside. "Where is it? Where's the cave?" He grunts, then tears down a wall of thick vines, far too thick for me to see through earlier. "Oh," I say, embarrassed of my poor vision. I pull off my backpack and take out two flashlights, handing one to Travon. "Time to explore," I say in a very unnecessary comment.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Wandering in the Dark [Caving] [H by C][M - L, S?]

Postby Jedi » 08/17/2017 7:28 PM

As I walk into the cave, I start to smell a musky aroma in the air. “Do you smell something funny?” I ask him. He runs his hands along the cave walls, then rubs his fingers together. There’s water here. Watch your step. I don’t want you slipping on that too.” I furrow my brow, upset that he’d think of me as such a clutz. But he’s probably right in his accusation.

We continue walking down the path before us. When the light from the mouth no longer reaches us, we both turn our flashlights on. On the ceiling of the cave are a few Battis, stretching out their wings in a yawning motion. “And watch your step. You don’t want to step in Batti shit.”

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/17/2017 7:40 PM

I shine my flashlight around on the ground, thankful that I haven’t done so. Luckily, there are no droppings here.  When I bring my flashlight back to shine up at the batti, which spooks them. In turn it also spooks me into dropping my flashlight. It clangs on the floor, flickering until it returns to normal. The light must’ve hit me in the eyes, because now I can’t see. “Watch it,” Travon orders. “Sorry. The bats scared me.” I get down on hands and knees, searching around until I find the cold rod. “That’s a rock,” he says to me. “Here.” I reach up and sure enough he’s holding my flashlight for me. “Thank you.”

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/17/2017 7:50 PM

When I get back up, I can barely see anything. I close my eyes for about a dozen seconds, then open them to let my eyes adjust to the darkness. “Are you done fooling around?” he asks me. “Yeah. Can we just get going?” He nods, then we walk on.

All is normal as we walk on, but we start to hear a running current ahead. That and the musky smell has gotten stronger. “Do you hear that?” I ask him. He nods again. “It sounds like a waterfall. You’re going to want to stay close to me when we get up there.

Sure enough, we find ourselves face to face with a large waterfall, cutting our path short. “If we want to go further, we’re going to have to cross it,” he yells to me. The waterfall is so loud I can barely hear him. I take a large roll of rope from my backpack. “Will this help?”

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/17/2017 8:06 PM

He takes the rope from me and ties in into a lasso. He then starts twirling it around. “Ye boy. Rope ‘em cows,” I say in a fake cowboy accent. “Shut the fuck up. I’m trying to concentrate.” Immediately I silence myself. He releases one and and it flies over onto a boulder on the other side of the river. He tightens it, then ties the other end to a stalagmite. “We’ll use this to cross over.” I nod.

As we cross, I make sure that I don’t let go. My grip is so tight that it’s practically cutting into my palm. As we exit the river, I find myself drenched and breathless. “Keep moving,” he tells me. “I haven’t even had a chance to dry off.” He grabs my shoulder. “If you don’t keep moving, you’ll get hypothermia.” I don’t argue after that. We start walking down the path once more, but I can’t seem to stop shivering.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/17/2017 8:19 PM

We only get a few more meters before my body is protesting. “Can I at least start a fire? I feel like I can barely move.” Travon turns to me and nods. I guess he isn’t quite as much of an ass-hat. I pull off my backpack and reach inside. “There’s no point in going through your bag,” he says to me. “Everything in there would be soaked too.” But I browse through it anyways. Inside, I manage to find a metal box. If I recall, it’s suppose to be waterproof, and for good reason. I open it up and sure enough, it’s completely dry inside.

It’s a set of emergency flares and a bunch of dry wood and matches. Right away, I go to setting it up between the two of us. Although I might seem like a clutz, I have a gift with pyrotechnics. The fire starts up quickly, bringing a delightful heat to us both. About ten minutes pass before we’re finally dried off. Travon seems to stay silent the entire time, despite trying to talk casually with him. But when we’re ready to go, I put the fire out and return the salvageable wood in the case. We then start heading off down the cave path before us.

[Processed up to here]

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/23/2017 3:39 PM

So far, the cave seems pretty uneventful. I'm assuming that's a good thing, but I can't help but feel bored. I wave my flashlight around, trying to see if I can spot anything exciting on the walls. Maybe a vein of silver or cave paintings, something that would perk up the situation. But I can't see anything that peeks my interest. That is until Travon grabs a hold of my flashlight, keeping it still. "Hey, what gives?" I spurt at him in protest. A brisk "SHH!" is all I get back from him. Rude.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/23/2017 3:44 PM

We continue walking The cave has widened a lot since the waterfall we'd pull ourselves across. And though I had stopped waving my flashlight around, I can't help but notice things moving. "What's that noise?" Travon doesn't do anything to answer my question, so naturally, I try to answer it myself. "It sounds like a flock of birds or something." He points his finger upwards, then once again, moves his finger to his mouth, signalling me to keep quiet. What is so important? I look upwards, wishing that I hadn't when I realize what he was talking about.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/28/2017 6:24 PM

When my gaze goes up, I'm greeted by the sight of a thousand eyes, looking down on me. A large colony of bats were hanging from the ceiling of the cave, flying through the air and walking around each other. "Holy sh-" I'm cut off by Travon, wrapping his palm against my mouth. "Keep quiet," he whispers in a barely audible tone, but I'm able to hear him well enough. I nod to let him know I understand. I don't want my clumsiness to get us into trouble again.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/28/2017 6:29 PM

We continue walking, making sure that we don't bump into any walls or make any excess noise. We don't want to disturb the bats living above our heads. As fate would have it, one of the bats flew a little lower that the rest. Maybe it saw us with it's echolocation and got curious. It perched it's feet on Travon's head, flapping it's wings to balance it's landing. He remains silent, but seeing the whimsical bat seemed to make me want to laugh. I hold it back, barely able to contain the laughter. He shoots me a look of pure hatred. "Sorry, it's just so cute." His hatred seems to increase tenfold with his expression.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 08/28/2017 7:08 PM

After a few seconds, the batti stepped down from his head onto his shoulder. "I think he likes you," I say to him, careful not to be too loud. His gaze becomes less hateful and more irritated. "Let's keep moving," he grunts out. We continue walking, which I'm grateful that it's mostly uneventful. At least I didn't screw anything up. By the time we start getting away from the colony, the batti decided to leave us. I wave goodbye to the little creature, but Travon sighs at the gesture. "What?"

[Processed up to here]

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate