The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

It's Nearly Time [Caving] [H by Z] ~Finished

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 4:13 PM

"Are you sure I can't come with you?"

The professor looked back at his pupil, smiling sadly at her in response.  They had arrived at the small village at the base of one of the legendary mountains only about a day ago, as soon as they got the go ahead from the weird duck man.  It was nice here, quiet, sparse, but a bit lonely.  There weren't many villagers here, and there probably were more Albies than humans living in the place.  

"I'm sorry Olive, but I need you here to look after my research and my companions."  As if on cue, a glowing firey Draculi brushed against the girl's legs, purring softly.

"But most of it is back protected in the lab...!"  She protested, going quiet at the sorry look she got in response.  She knew the professor wouldn't do this if it wasn't absolutely necessary, but it still stung to be left behind.  She felt a hand ruffle her messy hair.

"Olive, I need you here just in case anything happens to me.  You're my next in line, I need you to learn how to 'defend the fort' while I'm gone.  Do you understand?"  He knelt in front of her as she looked away with a huff, though she wasn't truly mad at him.  How could she be?  The man had always been good to her, better than her own parents ever had been.  He talked to her like she was another person, not like a kid.

"Yes sir."  She said, smiling weakly.  Winter hated being called sir.

He smiled in response and ruffled her hair, a little rougher this time.  "You know I'm not old enough to be a sir.  Not yet."

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless
I will give... I will take

I will feel the stars crash, crash down
RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 700
Donate

Re: It's Nearly Time [Caving]

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 4:20 PM

The Professor rummaged through his, admittedly sparse, things, humming to himself lightly.  Usually his work space was cluttered and resembled a hoarder's paradise, but they were renting this cottage and he didn't want to be a bad guest.  He picked up a pack, examined it a few seconds, then nodded and slung it over his shoulder.  It wasn't much, and for a normal person it probably wouldn't of been enough for such an expedition.  But Professor Winter was not a normal person.

He nodded to his pupil, whom had learned long ago to not be worried about the lack of necessities in the Professor's belongings, and made his way to the door.  "Be safe, Olive."  He grinned, "Don't burn the place down, I'd like to keep my down payment, hmm?"

Olive forced a smile, still a bit sore about being left behind.  "Bring back something for me, okay?"  She got a nod in response, and then he was gone.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 4:23 PM

The air was crisp, even now at sea level.  The Professor knew it would only get colder and harder to breathe the further up he went.  Good.  It has been a while since this body had gotten some proper wear and tear.

The village itself was still, almost ominously so.  There weren't many people there, true, but still.  The quietness was a bit unnerving.  He allowed a shiver to travel up his spine, exhaling slightly.  This was going to be an interesting trip.  Perhaps it may even snow?  Though, of course he wouldn't be able to enjoy it.  Soon he would be underground, after all.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 4:26 PM

The Professor's feet seemed to have a mind of their own, and without him even noticing he had already left the edge of the village.  He took a second to look back at the cottage that he had left his only human companion behind in, smiling at the warm glow inside, and also hoping the glow was a controlled fire.  Olive was a good kid, no doubt about that.  Special in a way that reminded him of himself.  He wasn't planning on taking on a student, but he didn't regret it either.  Though he was uncertain of what the future held, or when they would part ways, if they would part ways.  Oh well, those thoughts weren't for now.  He turned on his heel and began to ascend.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 4:43 PM

He only glanced at the map a few times.  It was really no use anyway, the directions were far too messy for him to read.  The poor stinky duck creature was going to kill someone at some point with his sloppy work.  It took about an hour and a half for him to reach what he assumed was the entrance of the cave, shivering a little at a chill that went up his stark white professor's coat.  Perhaps he should have dressed a little warmer.

"This looks like a good of place as any."  He murmured to himself, digging out a strange device from his pockets that he had kept hidden.  If Olive knew about this, she might've come up the mountain herself despite anything he said.

"Subject K-2250 Nebula, scan location and descend."  He spoke into it as he held down a silver button.  The device had no antenna or anything else to show that it was capable of transmitting a signal.

There was a slight pause, and then a rumble, and then a loud whirring.  A comet like shape appeared in the sky, only for a second or two, before plowing down into the earth in a thunderous bang that threw up frozen rock and soil.  From it a shape uncurled.

"Subject K-2250 Nebula.  Designation: Rosceros.  Reporting."  The creature said, voice reverberating inside of its head, mouth unmoving, pale eyes staring blankly ahead.

"Status report?"  Winter asked, scribbling on a notepad.

"Temperature readings: 280.372 Kelvin.  Approximately one hundred meters above sea level.  Cave readings:  Significant deposits of common minerals, such as granite and quartz.  Scanning cave for size coordinates....  Invalid.  Cannot approximate cave size or direction."

"Well.  It was worth a shot."  He sighed after jotting down the notes.  "And try not to make such a huge explosion next time.  Don't want undue attention."  He glanced around with a sigh.  "Though it's quite lonely and empty up here."

"Do you require assistance?"  The creature responded, regarding its creator with inquisitive eyes.

Winter raised his eyebrows.  This was new.  It seemed the creature was showing initiative.  Good.  "If you want to come you may come."  He said, grinning slightly.

"Cannot compute 'want.'  Is this unit's assistance required?"  

Winter sighed.  "Well, it's a start.  Come on, your scanners will come handy."  

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: It's Nearly Time [Caving] [H by Z]

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 5:58 PM

The entrance was a bit of a squeeze, it was on the ground after all, and it took a good five minutes before The Professor was able to maneuver himself down so that he wouldn't cut up himself on the way down.  Despite this, his coat remained remarkably clean and white.  His construct followed behind obediently, shining its eyes to give the inside of the cave a pale blue glow.  Winter briefly wondered weather the duck had mentioned if the bodies that had fallen down this passage were cleaned up or not...

"Sir.  We are now approximately .03 meters down into the ground.  Sensors indicate that as we progress farther it will become significantly warmer.  Up to 294.261 Kelvin, or room temperature."

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 6:04 PM

"Thank you, Ceros."  Winter said, then added after a pause, "And no need to call me sir."

"Acknowledged."  The creature said, before continuing to scan its surroundings.  A bit of stardust leaked from its mouth, indicating that it was quite interested and curious.  The fluid would glow for quite a few hours afterwards, making it a good way point for them.  It sniffed the air tentatively.  "Air has remarkably high oxygen content for the stale condition it is in.  Further research necessary."

The Professor nodded, though he was only half listening.  He had noticed that there were glimmers on the wall, even without Ceros' light illuminating them.  He scratched his chin and continued onward.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 6:10 PM

As they made their way in further, it became more clear what it was that they saw.  "Bioluminescence!"  Exclaimed Winter as he examined the walls.  "Ceros, cease light functions."

"Acknowledged.  This unit must also remind you that it cannot become fully dark, as the stardust contained within its body will always faintly glow."  It responded, its eyes shutting off and its body dimming.  The walls were quite beautiful, probably would be even more so in complete darkness.

"Ceros, scan this life form."

"Complying."  The creature began to glow again as it normally did, eyes sending out a benign beam of light to scan the fungus on the wall.  "Unknown bioluminescent fungi."

"Well, I could of said that."  Winter responded quietly, taking off his pack.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 6:17 PM

Inside there were..  Almost no survival supplies.  Apparently the Professor didn't need anything to actually..  Live.  It was mostly full of research supplies, and a couple snacks.  Pens, scanners, notepads, sterile specimen bags and sample tubes for minerals and fluids, those kind of things.  Winter carefully took out a scalpel and a bag and scraped some of the fungi into it, sealing it carefully to make sure it wouldn't be contaminated.  

"Ceros, can you seal this in a demensional hole?"

The creature approached, nodding in response.  "Affirmative.  Please stand aside."  The tips of the creatures tails began to glow a faint purple, which began to swirl and sparkle as liquid dripped from them.  The Professor carefully stuck the bag into the fluid, it swallowed it up and disappeared a few seconds later.

"I hope it doesn't vanish without a trace this time."  He murmured.

"This unit guarantees that the specimen is safe in a self made demensional pocket in space and time.  It may remain there indefinitely and never degrade."

Winter nodded, satisfied.  "Good.  You show much promise, my last experiments with pocket demensions did not go well.  I suppose I just needed a creature born of it for it to truly work."

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 6:22 PM

The Professor took a small snack of a cheese stick out of a pocket and nibbled on it as they walked.  Ceros seemed to be interested in it, so he tore off a piece.

"This unit does not need sustenance."  It responded, though it took the snack and chewed on it anyway.

"Well, I don't really either, but it still tastes good."  He replied plainly as they continued.  "Hmm.  Ceros, can you get anything on the scanners?"  He said, looking at the multiple directions they could go in now that they were in the technical middle of the room.

"Attempting scan....
... Negative
."

"Oh well.  I guess we're going in blind.  More exciting, I suppose."

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 7:21 PM

The Professor felt the ground soften beneath his feet.  Well..  This was definitely something new.  They had moved away from the fungi at this point, thus the area was dark once again.  Luckily, Rosceros' eyes were glowing brightly, he only had to wait for the construct to catch up.

"Alert.  Detecting water further in."  The robotic voice spoke up out of the darkness.

Water?  This couldn't be..  He looked down to see sand.  "Well, son of a beech."  Winter murmured, looking at the creature.  It just gave him a confused look in response, so the professor sheepishly went back to looking around.  "I think this might just be connected to the surface."

"Though readings are inconclusive, the water scans as fresh, thus likely that it connects to the surface."

Winter stooped over the water and stuck a finger in, shivering a little.  "Nice and cold too.  Either we hit a natural spring or perhaps this goes to the outside.  Lets jot it down on the map our ducky friend gave us, hm?  Could be useful.  Can't tell if anything's alive in it though."

"Oxygen readings suggest life is possible, though none are appearing on initial scans."

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 7:29 PM

The Professor started to realize how sweaty he had become from the trek into the cave.  "So, the water is safe then?"  He asked, looking down to the temptingly cool blue water.

"Affirmative.  Though depth readings suggest it is quite deep.  Scuba diving not recommended.  Did you know cave diving is regarded as one of the most dangerous sports in the world?"

"...  Thanks?"  Winter responded, deciding not to question the random fact.  He took off his coat and set it neatly on the sand, along with his slick black boots.  He dipped a foot in, shivering with delight.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 7:37 PM

Rosceros tentatively followed its master, sniffing at the water.  Its eyes reflected off the surface of the water in quite a remarkable way.  It batted at the water gently, not quite ready to take an actual plunge.  It wasn't a big fan of water in general, let alone cold water.  Plus it had no idea how the stardust inside of it would react with liquid water.

Winter was busy creating ripples in the underground lake and watching his reflection wiggle and change.  It was peaceful here, if not a bit eerie.  Being at a beech without the sounds of birds and kids playing was a little odd, to say the least.  Still, it was nice to have a moment to relax.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 7:47 PM

The creature sat down calmly, grooming itself and causing its fur to sparkle with the stardust that flowed through its saliva, and every other bodily fluid it had.  It stared out at the lake for a few seconds, watching the water ripple and flow.

"Permission to speak freely."  It asked flatly.

"You always have that permission."  Winter said with a wave of his hand and a sigh.

"Ah."  Was its reply as it looked from the lake to back into the cave.  "Should we not continue?"

Winter chuckled.  "Well, we can if you would like to.  Thought a rest would be nice."

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/17/2017 7:50 PM

"Interesting."  Was its response.  Winter waited for it to elaborate, but it did not.  Instead it laid itself on the sand, closing its eyes slightly, which darkened the cave.  The only luminescence left was the creature's body itself, which made everything, including the underground lake, a dim purple color.  Winter watched as the ripples of the lakes casted shadows on the walls, smiling to himself.  It was a good idea to bring his creation along, even if it wasn't much for conversation.  Perhaps as it grew and adapted it would learn to be a bit more...  Like a living creature.  Maybe.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate