The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Re: It's Nearly Time [Caving] [H by Z]

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 1:14 AM

However, it seemed the gesture made the creature more comfortable, as it was a bit more relaxed than it had been before.  It padded to them slowly, the sound of its stone feet dragging against the cave floor was a bit grating, but not intolerable.  It looked at them inquisitively, eyes filled with intelligence and curiosity.

"It seems we have a new companion."  Winter said, carefully reaching out to the creature that was now within arms reach.  He felt Ceros tense up next to him, but ignored it.  The new creature accepted his touch, even leaned into it.  Perhaps it had been created to protect something that has been destroyed long ago, and now lacked a purpose?  The place seemed to have caved in long ago, perhaps whatever it was was buried in the rubble.  Poor thing must've been here at least a few decades.

He stood up again, trying to be slowly, so as not to startle the new companion.  Though it appeared to already be comfortable with them.  "I suppose we should continue.  You can come with us, if you like."  He had a feeling it understood him.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless
I will give... I will take

I will feel the stars crash, crash down
RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 700
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 1:38 PM

The creature looked up with wide amber eyes, seeming as if it expected something.  Winter shifted his weight a little, unsure of how to progress.  It followed them when they moved, but it still seemed to be..  Wanting something.  He tried to offer it food again, but it wouldn't take it.  He didn't know what it wanted.

"Professor."  The robotic voice came from beside the Professor.  "I believe she wants a name."

Winter tilted his head to the side, giving both of them an odd stare.  "I'm not quite sure how you knew that?"

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 1:41 PM

Now it was Rosceros' turn to shift uncomfortably.  "Unknown."  It replied, dipping its head.  "I believe it is what you call a "gut instinct.""

"Ah."  Winter replied, shrugging off his confusion.  Oh well, if he didn't understand his own creation, it just meant he was a really good inventor.  Didn't it?  He looked to the new creature, a she apparently, and smiled at it.  "Is that what you want?"  He asked.  It did not respond, but its eyes softened a little at the question

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 1:44 PM

"Hmm."  The Professor stroked his chin again as he thought.  "Well, Rosceros, since you're the one to solve the mystery, why don't you give it, sorry, her, a name?"  He grinned mischievously, wondering if the construct could come up with a good name.

"Processing."  Its eyes dulled from their normal bright glow as it thought deeply.  "Composition of creature is primarily Labradorite.  Name suggestion:  Labradorite."

"Hm.  A bit of a mouth full."  Was Winter's response, though he was glad his creation was able to be creative itself.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 1:47 PM

Ceros went silent, making Winter feel bad.  He must've hurt its feelings, if it had true feelings yet.  He tried to think of a remedy.  "Well, um, it's still a good idea!"  He started, glancing nervously from creature to creature.  Neither gave any response or did more than look back.  "Ok, why don't we compromise?  She can be called..  Labra.  What about that?"  

Ceros perked up a little, and perhaps it could smile if it had the mouth parts to actually do so.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 1:50 PM

Ceros looked at their new companion, Labra, expectantly.  It stared back.  It switched to staring at winter, and then back to Ceros.  After about thirty seconds, it blinked.

"She likes it."  Ceros said, startling Winter with the casual language.  It was odd to hear it not use technical terms.  Though it wasn't a bad thing of course, he was glad that it was starting to learn and evolve.  That was the whole point of its creation, after all.  Well, that and dimension traveling.  And creating pocket dimensions.  And defense.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 1:53 PM

"Well."  Winter began, turning on his heel in a bit of a graceful and dance-like manner.  He hid the fact that he almost tripped himself.  "We should be going now, yes?  Don't want a search party to be sent after us."  He wondered if the duck even had any funds to even send a real search party.  Probably not.  ... Maybe it would be a good idea if he kept his eyes open for any potential lost explorers.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 1:56 PM

Despite Winter's implication that the group should hurry up, he took his time admiring the cave systems and strolled along his path leisurely.  He made sure to make a few scribbles on the map too, almost having forgotten to do so.  Every so often, he took a soil sample or two, whenever he had the urge to.  Samples were always fun.  Ceros' interdimensional abilities didn't seem to phase Labra that much, at least, after she was able to poke the stardust sludge a little bit and see that it was safe.  She seemed to want to play with it, more than anything.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 1:59 PM

They made their way through the crystal part of the caves, to which they had to pause, as Labra appeared transfixed with the walls.  Winter wondered if she had ever been out of the chamber that they found her in.  She seemed to look around at everything with wide and sparkling eyes.  He smiled at her a bit, wondering about her past.  Perhaps he could find a way to communicate with her someday.  Or, perhaps she already knew how to communicate, and just chose not to.  He's met plenty of those types in his days.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 2:02 PM

Eventually they were able to make their way back to the midsection of the cave, after waiting for Labra to examine and sniff at every little thing.  Winter looked at the bunch of scribbles that he had made on the map, frowning to himself.  Oh, whoops, he didn't mean for it to be so messy.  Oh, well, they'll live.  It seemed that there was only one more direction to go from here.  Too bad, this was turning out to be a very fun adventure.  Hopefully there would be more, eh?

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 2:06 PM

Winter slowly became aware of a..  unpleasant..  Smell after going a little bit into the new tunnel system.  He couldn't quite place it, but it definitely wasn't a great smell.  Perhaps stagnant water?  Seemed likely, caves tended to have things like that.  He would have to make sure Labra wouldn't disturb it and release dangerous gasses out...

Speaking of dangerous gasses, whew, this smelled kinda like the duck professor in here!  He was jealous that Ceros and Labra didn't have any discernible nose or scent glands.

[Processed up to here]

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 4:42 PM

A crunch underfoot confirmed The Professor's worst fears.  Guano.  It made sense, Batti loved places like this, but he was really hoping to not have to trudge through the sticky, slippery, disgusting stuff today.

"Alert.  Waste product detected.  Scans indicate creature of origin as primarily insectivore."

Winter sighed.  "Thanks, Ceros."  He murmured, not wanting to hurt the construct's feelings.  If it had feelings similar to humans.  "This won't be fun."

"Sensors indicate well ventilated area further in."

Winter had to stop himself from being happy that Ceros found something useful for once.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/18/2017 4:45 PM

It took a while for the group to trudge through the disgusting mess that was batti guano.  It was unpleasant, to say the least.  Especially for Labra, who was heavier than the others and thus sank deeper. Eventually, after much cursing and close calls with falling face first into the stuff, they made it through.  Winter was happy that the deep breath he took wasn't tainted by the burning of the smell of waste.  It took a second for him to notice just how well he could see here.  Looking up, he noticed a skylight.

"We are approximately five meters beneath the rock."

Winter nodded, taking a moment to soak in the sunlight and fresh air.  He made a note of it on his map, before taking a while to wash himself and his companions with a couple bottles of water.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:10 AM

Winter took a moment to sit on a smooth rock nearby.  There were a bunch of smooth rocks around here, actually.  Maybe they were all over the cave, he just couldn't see them before because it was so dark.  Most of them were made of recognizable materials.  Granite and mixes of random rocks that weren't worth taking samples of.  Ok, that was a lie, he had just already taken samples of all of them.

Wait, maybe he hadn't taken samples of all of them?  What was that green one over there..

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:13 AM

He stood up, grunting lowly at how stiff his back had gotten.  Gods, he was getting old.  (Not really.)  He stretched a bit, doing some mock yoga poses to loosen up his joints and muscles.  The breeze from the skylight was starting to seep into his bones, causing a dull ache he'd always have in low temperatures, even as a child.

Rosceros and Labra seemed to be sunning themselves together.  They weren't talking, but Winter had a feeling that they were sharing some sort of...  Moment.  A silent conversation.  He would examine the strange rock himself, rather than disturb them.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate