The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Re: It's Nearly Time [Caving] [H by Z]

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:15 AM

He made sure to take quiet steps.  He wasn't trying to be sneaky or anything, at least, not really.  He just knew if Rosceros heard him moving it would pop up to attention.  He wanted his creation to have its own moment for now.  If anything bad happened..  Well.  Nothing bad would happen.

He tiptoed his way to the strange rock, eyes growing wider and hands shaking with excitement as he realized the glint of the sun against its surface.  Definitely not common quartz.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless
I will give... I will take

I will feel the stars crash, crash down
RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 700
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:17 AM

What were some precious green stones?  No, no, don't get too excited.  There were common shiny green rocks.  Er..  Right?  He couldn't think of anything, actually.  Though he had a feeling that if he hoped too hard he might end up letting himself down.  Hell, it could always end up being discarded trash.

As he approached, he only felt himself grow more excited despite himself.  He reached out with shaking hands.  Cold to the touch, but definitely a mineral, not trash or anything else.  The smoothness made him hope against hope that it was a stone.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:20 AM

It might be emerald, or malachite?  No, not malachite, any rain from the hole in the ceiling would of eroded it badly.  More likely emerald.  He stroked it gently as he thought, without even realizing he was doing so.

Then, he heard a groan.  Instantly he assumed the tunnel was collapsing.  His research told him the groans of the rocks were the first sign.  But..  No, he would of sensed impending danger.  He was better than that.  One of his companions?  No..  Too close..  Like it was in front of him.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:23 AM

Then, the rock shifted.

By now, Rosceros had realized what was going on and sprang to its feet, ready to fight.  It seemed hurt that Winter had left without alerting it, but now was not the time for that.

"Scans show structural integrity is solid."  The robotic voice echoed, matching The Professor's first assumption.  "... Movement detected.  No life signs."

Perhaps a friend of Labra?  He looked to her, but she seemed to not have moved from her spot.  If he didn't know she was there, he would of thought she was another rock.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:26 AM

Labra's indifference seemed to calm both of them down, though not completely.  Rosceros still seemed ready to use his offensive abilities at a moment's notice.

The movement happened again.  Yup, it's definitely the rock.  Or stone.  Or gem?  Whatever.  Winter just knew that he wasn't getting any precious stones tonight.  Oh well, it's not like he was going to sell him anyway.

"Hello?"  He ventured, tilting his head.  There was no response.  He'd of thought it was a trick of the eye if Ceros' sensors weren't made by him.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:28 AM

They were still for a while, a long while.  Probably like five minutes.  Winter didn't own a watch.  They never worked right for him.  Too much traveling, you know?  ... Not just to normal places.

He remembered how he heard the sound when he touched it, and slowly reached again.  He knew Rosceros may get defensive, but he was too curious to give up a chance.

As predicted, the groan sounded again, but this time, it was more distinct.  It wasn't a groan at all.  It was a purr.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:32 AM

Before he could ask anything again, the "rock," turned over, revealing a happy little face.

"Why, hello there, little guy."  Winter said, smiling a bit.  He knew this species.  Some sort of gargoyle-esque creature.  He knew they were usually friendly, at least when they were this small.  He scratched it on the head again, and it purred again.  "Some voice you have, huh buddy?"  His purr seemed to shake the caves.

Labra finally made her way over.  Winter could tell by the sound of dragging rock.  She seemed pleased, the stargoyle didn't seem to recognize her.  Perhaps she was glad to meet another creature without blood.  It was hard to meet those types these days.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:34 AM

The Professor stood up again to full height, though he still kept his hand on the little guy's head, much to its delight as it rubbed against him.  He took a look around, a grin of satisfaction on his face.  "I think that's the whole cave!"  He announced, putting his hands on his hips triumphantly.  The creature pawed at him to be pet again.

Rosceros took a second to scan, before confirming Winter's observation.  "I can guide us to the exit."

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:36 AM

Winter nodded, and went to follow, though he could of found the exit by himself.  It was almost straight through after all.  He wanted Ceros to feel accomplished too though.  The familiar sound of scraping stone followed him, but he realized that Labra had not moved yet.  He looked back to see the little reptile.

"Oh?  We have another party member?"  He asked, grinning.  The creature chirped.  "Well, I'm glad you're more talkative than our other one."  He chuckled, patting Labra.  She tolerated this.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:39 AM

They eventually made themselves out of the caves.  It had been a day or two, but you couldn't tell that looking at the landscape.  Everything looked the same around here.  Even the footsteps from a few days prior were gone, covered by wind and light snow.  Labra seemed to enjoy batting around the snow, and was transfixed with the sun.  He allowed her to play a little before realizing he should probably head back by now.  Olive would be back at their main labs, and he needed to let the smelly duck know that they were done.  And give him his new map, of course.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:40 AM

After some..  Questionable methods of transportation.  Including but not limited to testing stardust's warping effects over same dimensions and leylines, the four finally made their way back to the saloon that the adventure had started in, but now two party members more.  He offered to allow the two to go their own ways, but they seemed content with him.  Or perhaps scared of the huge new world they were in, unblocked by a ceiling or walls.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 08/20/2017 12:44 AM

The specifics weren't too interesting.  Winter took a few deep breaths of the dry arid air, tried not to barf at the duck farts, ignore the implied sexcapades of the same duck, things like that.  He seemed happy to have a completed map.  They were thanked profusely, but not paid, unfortunately.  Oh well, Winter wasn't in it for the money anyway, was he?  None of his companions had real noses, so at least he was the only one suffering.

The duck didn't seem to notice, or care, that he had two more unknown creatures with him.  Oh well, he saw a lot of people, probably too busy to count them all.  He would of liked to talk about the discoveries made in the cave, but Professor King seemed too busy, and the farts too stinky.  Eventually, they filed out, trying not to get jostled around by the growing crowd of people who wanted to take part and people who were just coming back.

All and all, not too bad of a journey.  He wondered if the two friends he made would stick around.  The author of these doesn't really have too many ideas for the characters, so he wouldn't blame her if she shelved or traded them.  Still a fun trip though.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate