The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Re: [Caving] Not Cut Out for This [L] [H by C]

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/18/2017 12:07 AM

"No, fuck off," Stray snarled, his tails whacking Shyster in the leg. The Grondalith snorted air out, breathing hard with fear. Stray stared for a moment, then reached into his backpack and pulled out a blanket. He covered the creature's face and head with it, plunging it into darkness, and it went still after a moment of sniffing. "Okay... it should be calm enough now. You," he said, looking up at Shyster with a scowl. He tossed the man his flashlight. "Go on ahead--if you end up going too far, come back. I'm gonna try to calm this thing down."

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/18/2017 12:13 AM

Shyster blinked, catching the flashlight and flicking it on, shining it in Stray's face with a smirk. "Yeah, okay, mister hero. Mister philanthropist friend of nature," Shyster continued to mock as he started walking towards the next part of the cave.

Stray bit back a string of abuse, and sighed heavily, picking up a few fragments from the creature blindly in the dark and pocketing them. "Alright," he murmured to the Grondalith, wondering if it could understand him. "Are you in pain?"

There was silence for a long moment, and then a very quiet, "Yes," from under the blanket. It was a voice of indeterminate age or gender, but he could tell it was coming from the creature in front of him.

"Sorry about that. Shyster's a real asshole. Why don't you come to the mouth of the cave? We can help you out there," he offered.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/28/2017 10:27 AM

Shyster grumbled under his breath, squinting ahead at the circle of light his flashlight beam created. Stupid kid, if that Grondalith ate him, Shyster wasn't going to feel sorry for him at all. Shyster kicked a rock forward in frustration, eyes wide with a momentary, sudden fear as it rolled forward and down a slope. He stopped, and listened to the tiny thunks of the rock hitting rock, until it ended in a low splish.

Shyster waited for a few more seconds, then hurried ahead. It seemed he'd found something interesting.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/28/2017 10:29 AM

Stray managed to gather up all of the broken pieces in the dark, with the Grondalith's guidance and glowing eyes as help. "Okay," the boy murmured, patting the bag of stone and pocketing it. "We'll get you fixed up, don't worry. Er... your eye might... be a little harder," he added, wincing at the crack in the Grondalith's eye.

"I can still see. I will be fine," the Grondalith murmured, lifting a paw to pat the gemlike eye. "Harder. But I can see."

"That's good," Stray said, a real smile on his face as he stood up and dusted his hands off on his pants. "Come on, let's go catch up with that idiot. I promise he won't hurt you anymore."

"I will see that for myself," the Grondalith added, a wary note in their voice.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/23/2017 9:52 PM

Shyster made his way carefully down to the water's edge, his eyes wide at his own reflection in the lake. He squinted against the glare of the flashlight on the water, then pointed it upwards at the cavernous room. It was beautiful, really... a nice break from the terrors of cave-ins and monsters. There was a temptation to drink some of it, but he quickly trashed the idea--that is to say, he was distracted from the idea by the sound of footsteps behind him.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/23/2017 9:53 PM

"Who goes there!" he barked, pointing his flashlight directly into Stray's eyes with a mock-fearful voice. "It's about time you showed--hey. That thing," he aimed the light at the Grondalith. "Why is that thing here?"

"They're coming with us," Stray said, his voice boding no arguments. Shyster eyed the boy, then rolled his eyes and sighed.

"I suppose that's fine, as long as it behaves," Shyster muttered, walking over to rejoin the group.

"I'll behave if I see it fit," the Grondalith murmured, making Shyster nearly leap clean out of his skin.

"It--th-they...they can speak?" Shyster yelped, looking immediately uncomfortable as Stray grinned and lightly patted the Grondalith's shoulder.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/26/2017 12:23 AM

Shyster shifted uncomfortably, then let out a small sigh, frowning and scratching his jawline. "Er... well. Sorry I... broke bits of you off," he said awkwardly.

The Grondalith didn't respond, their tail lightly tapping Stray's leg. It seemed that they weren't interested in talking to Shyster, not that Stray blamed them.

"Anyway, let's head back to the cave entrance. I think I saw another entryway... maybe we can find you some real gems," Stray mused aloud, and the Grondalith winked their remaining uncracked gemlike eye for good measure.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/26/2017 12:26 AM

In good time, the trio made their way back towards the shaft of light that signaled the cave entrance. The Grondalith's stony brows raised at the sight of the sinkhole in the center of the light pool. "This was not here before," they murmured thoughtfully.

"Nope. It sure wasn't," Stray said pointedly, casting a look over his shoulder at Shyster, who frowned. He looked somewhat uncomfortable, and uncharacteristically quiet. Stray took notice, but decided not to ask--especially not when there was a third party with them.

"I think I will stay here and rest," the Grondalith continued, planting themself down near the tunnel that lead back towards the entrance. "And will make sure no other intruders come in," they added with a wink (or perhaps it was a blink--their broken eye wasn't moving, so it was hard to tell).

Stray smiled at that and nodded, waving for Shyster to follow him into the unexplored cavern up ahead. Shyster pointed the beam of light and walked alongside the boy, casting a final look over his shoulder at the Grondalith's form.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/26/2017 1:14 AM

The light from the skylight fell away behind them, leaving nothing but the flashlight as a light source. Stray's eyes followed the beam up to Shyster's hand, then the man's face, his own expression pensive. "You're awfully quiet," he mused. "Learn your lesson from that cave-in?"

Shyster didn't answer right away, he opened his mouth, then closed it with a snap when he had to step around a spike of rock in the floor. "Shut up," he muttered, frowning at the spike and continuing to walk--then hit his knee on another. "Shit--what the hell are these?!"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/26/2017 9:25 PM

Stray reached out to take the flashlight from Shyster and swing the beam around to the ceiling, squinting at the sharp spikes. "Stalactites... I was wondering if this cave had any. They're actually kinda pretty."

"Hell no, they're annoying. Stupid salad-tight--ack!" Shyster snarled as he hit his foot on one.

"Actually, that one's a stalagmite. The -mite ones go up, like the points on an M--" here, he drew an M with the flashlight-- "and the -tite ones go down, like the line on a T--" and then a T with the light beam as well. Shyster rubbed at his foot and frowned, then shrugged. He supposed that made sense.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/26/2017 9:29 PM

"Anyhow, be careful. If the floor was that fragile back there, the ceiling probably isn't much better. And those are sharp," Stray murmured, and after a moment of thought, reached out to grab Shyster's sleeve and tug him along gently.

"Hey--"

"Shh. Just until we're out of this. I'd rather not get separated," Stray muttered, jerking Shyster's arm forward, to which the man finally yielded with a bemused look on his face. Perhaps it was because Stray could tell something was eating at the thief, but he didn't feel the need to be overly cruel.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/26/2017 10:17 PM

The silence stretched on as the two individuals carefully picked their way through the stala-whatever forest. Eventually, Shyster broke it, making Stray's ears perk. "I didn't know it could talk," he said softly.

"Yeah?" Stray shrugged. "Me neither. I still didn't hurt them."

"Yeah, that's--" Shyster cut off for a second, then winced, clearing his throat. "I just... I just keep thinking that, like... man, it's kind of shitty that I would've been alright with hurting that creature if it couldn't speak. Except I wouldn't be--i-it was just self defense, you know?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/26/2017 10:18 PM

Stray said nothing, but glanced over his shoulder at Shyster. Was that... remorse? Surely not.

"And like, you were the one who stopped and helped it, and it made me angry. People who go out of their way to be nice just..." Shyster dug his heels in for a second and scowled at the ground.

Stray eyed him for a second, then let go of his sleeve and shone the light on Shyster's chest, his expression expectant.

"I just feel like a jerk," Shyster muttered. "And it's really annoying that I care that I do."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/26/2017 11:30 PM

Stray arched a brow, looking Shyster over for a moment, then reached out to thump his fist on Shyster's chest. "Well, you apologized, so that's about all you can do. It's not like it's bad to feel sorry for something. Especially since I think you blinded one of their eyes."

"Shit, really?" Shyster muttered, frowning and leaning away from the fist. "That sucks... can't fix it?" He half wondered if the Grondalith wouldn't mind if he just took the busted eye, then... no, bad plan. Terrible plan. Get a grip!

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/27/2017 1:16 AM

"Dunno. I was gonna ask the doctor when we got back," Stray mused, waving for Shyster to keep following him. "Speaking of, we should move."

"Yeah... we should," Shyster murmured, feeling a tiny bit better, he supposed. Maybe he'd try to apologize again--see if he could fix things somehow. He wasn't very good at the whole apologizing thing, but he didn't like the guilt weighing on him. He still felt the phantom feeling of the Grondalith's body cracking under his attacks. He shivered and rubbed his arms, frowning at himself. The sooner they got out of this weird guilt-trippy cave, the better.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext