The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

[Caving] Not Cut Out for This [L] [H by C]

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 4:56 PM

Now that Shyster was really looking at the cave, he wasn't so sure about this. The hole to get in was small--he'd have to crouch down to get inside. He briefly had the thought to send Stray in by himself, since he was smaller and more agile, then frowned and shook his head. There was no way he was letting the possibility arise that Stray would make off with the gems himself. "Okay, here's the plan," Shyster said, grabbing a granola bar from his jacket pocket and shoving it in his mouth. "We go in, whack anything that moves with these shovels, nab as many crystals and gems as we can, throw the map in a ditch, and get out. Sound good?"

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: [Caving] Not Cut Out for This [L] [H by C]

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 5:02 PM

Stray looked up from the map in his hands, eyes lidded, feather pen sticking out of a gap in the knitted weaves of his hat. He suddenly regretted letting Shyster carry the food, but it was better than letting him carry any of the more vital items like the map or their only light source. "That's pretty shitty of you," Stray muttered, walking up behind the man and peering into the hole. There was a twinge of nervousness on his face as he stared into the blackness, then unhooked the flashlight from his belt. "I'll go in first," he said, deciding saying something, at least, would spur them into action sooner rather than later.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 6:20 PM

"Hey! I never said you could!" Shyster snapped, hurrying after Stray, but the boy was already walking into the cave. Shyster hesitated at the mouth, nervously shifting from foot to foot, then took another large bite of granola and bent forward to shimmy his way inside.

Stray could hear the man grumbling behind him, and he grinned slightly to himself. The top of his head only barely brushed the cave ceiling, but even so soon he could feel the place getting taller and wider. He clicked on the flashlight and peered ahead, stepping carefully.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 6:21 PM

Shyster had been walking so quickly to keep up that he rammed right into Stray's back. Stray yelped and stumbled, thankfully catching himself on solid ground, and turned to shine the light directly in Shyster's face. "Watch it," he growled, and Shyster scowled at him, ears flattening against his hair.

"You watch it! I'm telling you, I should go in front. Especially now that it's roomier," the man stated, knocking his knuckles on the low ceiling and squeaking in fear when a few tiny rocks crumbled down. "N--never mind. You can keep going on ahead... I've got your back!"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 6:36 PM

Stray gave Shyster one last dirty look, lowering the beam of light, then sighed and turned back towards the front. "Don't be too scared," he mused aloud, soft voice barely echoing in the small area. "I know how to navigate stuff like this."

"Caves?" Shyster asked, a curious arch to his brow as he followed the young teen. "You? Seriously?"

"No, dumbass. Tight spaces. Sewers, dark tunnels... it's all about keeping calm and not making too many sudden movements or noises," Stray murmured, squinting ahead. He could've sworn he could see something... "Up ahead. Let's go check that out."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 7:12 PM

The two carefully crept down some rather steep rock steps, naturally made from falling drips of water, and Stray clicked off his flashlight. His eyes widened at the stream of light pooling on the floor, a genuine look of appreciation on his face. "Wow... pretty," he murmured, holding up a leg and using his thigh to draw out the location on the map.

"Light! Sweet beautiful light! I could stay right here," Shyster snickered, running forward to stand in the middle of the beams. He arched his head back and looked up, eyes wide. They were... really deep in there. He felt a chill go through him, not liking the idea at all.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 7:15 PM

Stray rolled his eyes good-naturedly and put a finishing touch on the skylight drawing, then folded up the map once more and stuffed it in the pocket of his hoodie. "If you stay here, you won't find any gems," he chuckled, walking into the beams of light as well and peering around. It looked like there were several places they could go, which was comforting and worrying all at the same time. It would be easy to get lost.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 7:17 PM

Shyster lightly flicked one of Stray's ears, grinning, then cupped his hands around his mouth and drew in a sharp breath. "Helloooooooo up there!" he called, voice echoing loudly throughout the cavernous room. "Hikers! Travelers! This is the king of the mountain trolls!"

Stray had to stop himself from snickering at the thought of some passerby hearing Shyster. He elbowed the man and shook his head, holding up a finger to his lips. They really needed to be quiet... but Shyster wasn't giving up.

"Throw your keystones down here, and my people won't eat you!" he continued, laughing all the while.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 7:19 PM

Stray's smile dropped off his face like lead the moment he felt the first tremor. Shit! "Shyster, shut the hell up before--"

Too late. The ground beneath them quaked, and cracked, sinking downwards with rocks crumbling all around them. Stray screamed and clung to Shyster, who was desperately trying to pry the boy off of him to run away and save his own skin. He kicked Stray away, the boy managing to grab onto a sturdier rock as Shyster plummeted further downward.

Shyster screamed and scrambled for a foothold, finally managing to find one as the cascade of rocks subsided.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 7:20 PM

The light from above shone down in the new gaping hole in the floor. Stray felt as though he were dying, his chest pounding so fast from fear that he felt faint. He waited for his legs to stiffen once more, and slowly turned to look down at Shyster. "H-hey," he called out, throat dry. "Anything b-broken?"

Shyster was a little more stunned than Stray, and he shook his head, which Stray could barely make out. The Lucain grabbed hold of the rocks and managed to start hauling himself up, and Stray followed suit. He shouldn't have expected the man to need help--it was a wonder how he managed to get by, though.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 7:22 PM

When Stray got back on solid ground, he was coughing, shuddering with anxiety over the whole situation. A few deep breaths later, however, and he seemed to have gotten his bearings, clearing his throat until the feeling of dust and dirt disappeared from his tongue. "Alright," he breathed, dusting himself off and shooting Shyster a hard stare. "What have we learned from this?"

"Don't stand under skylights?" Shyster muttered, inching away from the light and hole, then sneered at Stray. "What are you, a nagging wife? That was random happenstance, I tell you. Completely random."

"Sure. Whatever you say," Stray grumbled. "But keep your damn voice down, anyway. Or else I'll go off on my own and leave you here."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 7:24 PM

Shyster stood up, squinting at Stray, then fished out a bottle of water from his bag and sucked some of it down. "Okay. Let's move on," he said, as though he was actually in charge here. Maybe he was. Stray didn't think so, but Shyster was older, and this had been his idea from the beginning.

Stray silently nodded and motioned towards a cave. "This way seems safe. Level floor, and wide. Follow me," he muttered, trying not to dwell on the feeling of Shyster pushing him away so violently in that landslide. Would the man really have thrown Stray's life away so easily?

...what a stupid question. Of course he would've.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 11:51 PM

Shyster rubbed his arms, not liking the sudden chill in the air. He was slightly damp in the clothes from his fall, too. He opened his mouth to complain, then froze right when Stray did--the both of them heard a low growl, and movement, up ahead. "Did you--"

"Yes, be quiet," Stray whispered, not so much hostile as nervous. Shyster groped for the shovel he'd tied to his back and held it at the ready. Stray nodded and moved the flashlight around, searching for the source of the noise. Clearly, they weren't alone in there.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/17/2017 11:54 PM

Eventually, the beam of light fell on a pair of glowing pink eyes and dusky blue rock. Stray stiffened up, eyes wide, and cried out when the eyes flashed towards him, the creature rushing him at an alarming pace. Shyster cursed and instinctively swung out with the shovel, whacking the creature square in the face. Chips of dark blue clattered to the floor--it seemed Shyster had cracked the creature's rocky body. It whimpered and pawed at its face, but Shyster didn't let up. Another hard slam of the shovel to the creature's ribs sent it sprawling on the floor.

Stray's mouth hung open as he registered Shyster moving in for another swing, then reached out to grab the shovel handle. "Stop, you idiot, it's down already!"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/18/2017 12:01 AM

"Get off, I'm saving your damn life, kid!" Shyster snapped, wrenching the shovel out of Stray's hands.

"It's not attacking anymore, so wait," Stray growled, shoving himself into Shyster to push the man away. He shone his light down on the creature, lying on its side and twitching slightly. It was cracked and battered, yes... but it was most certainly a Grondalith. And alive, thankfully. "Easy," he whispered, lightly placing his hand on the Grondalith's side. It jerked, but Stray held his hand there, not shying away no matter how much he wanted to.

"Is it alive?" Shyster whispered, peering over Stray's shoulder with the shovel in his hands, leering down at the creature. "Do I need to hit it again?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Next