The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Re: [Caving] Not Cut Out for This [L] [H by C]

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/27/2017 1:25 AM

"Hey, though, one more thing," Shyster muttered after a few moments of blessed silence. Stray wished he'd shut up--he wanted to focus on getting through this hazard, not pep talk his tormentor of a mentor.

"Yeah?" he called back, when silence ensued, not used to this hesitance from Shyster. The guy was usually a swath of bad choices and loud mouthedness.

"I shouldn't be telling you this because it's bad upbringing for our business, but..." he began, a bit of his old humor slipping back in before he grew serious once more. "I'm glad you stopped to help that creature."

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/27/2017 1:36 AM

"Yeah?" Stray mused, repeating himself. "You seemed pretty beat outta shape about it earlier."

"Yeah, whatever, so what--that's because I was just... mmmrhg. I hate how good you are, sometimes. Makes it hard to make you into a proper conman," Shyster muttered, shaking his head as if Stray were a terrible failure and would never amount to anything. And was a good kid. A stupidly good kid.

"I'm not sure if a good person would be sneaking around a cave with a thief," Stray hummed, making Shyster snarl.

"And here I was trying to be sentimental."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/27/2017 1:39 AM

"Gross--you? Sentimental?" Stray snickered, darting forward now that he saw the formations were beginning to thin out into normal cave floor once more. "I feel threatened."

"Shitty kid..." Shyster muttered, but managed something like a smirk when Stray giggled up ahead. He sighed, running a hand through his dark hair, and also seemed to notice the path getting easier. Silence fell once more, for a few moments, before it was Stray who broke it this time.

"If that creature had been dangerous, I would've been in big trouble if you hadn't hit it," Stray said quietly, making Shyster look up in surprise. "That's all I'm saying about it."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 1:14 AM

The stalagmite forest petered out into flatter ground only for a moment--it wasn't long before the ground beneath them grew almost slick, polished, and lumpy as it climbed the walls. Shyster was left to ponder on Stray's words, but was glad for the distraction. He tapped the ground with a shoe, arching a brow at the solid rock beneath their feet. "What is this...? Some kind of..."

"It seems almost volcanic," Stray mused, recalling pictures he'd seen of Nori in the past. How strange... "Maybe there's an old, inactive volcano down here."

"Yeah, 'inactive' sounds great. Knock on wood," he murmured, as Stray moved ahead, his flashlight darting around the odd cavern.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 1:51 AM

It was Stray who noticed the low hissing and clicking sound, but it was Shyster who first saw the glow emerge from a crack in the obsidian underfoot. "Kid!" Shyster called, starting to rush forward, but his movements were sluggish in the dark. The ground under Stray's feet erupted with lava; the boy leapt away, but a tendril of flame grabbed at his leg and pulled him back down. Thinking fast, Shyster cringed against Stray's scream, and slammed his foot down hard on the sheet of rock that had sprung up with bubbling lava underneath, momentarily making whatever creature lurked below screech in distress.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 1:58 AM

"Shit!" Stray cried, tears beading in his eyes as he grabbed at his leg from his place on the ground--the pantsleg seared off by fire, his skin burned and too painful to touch. Shyster leapt up and slammed down all of his weight on the rock, and suddenly, it left as quickly as it had come. Shyster listened in silence, breathless, then jolted when Stray whimpered. Right. The kid.

"Christ," Shyster muttered, a genuine worry in his eyes as he stared at the burns under the light of the flashlight. Somehow, compared to the blinding glow of the lava from before, the flashlight seemed dull in comparison. "That looks bad."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 2:01 AM

"No kidding," Stray mumbled, clearly trying to keep his voice steady, but Shyster could hear the tense catch in Stray's voice. He didn't say anything about it. Teasing the kid in this situation would just be cruel--Shyster was pretty sure he'd be crying, too, if some kind of lava monster tried to...

What was that thing, anyway?

"I'm... not sure if I can w-walk," Stray admitted, a kind of exasperated laugh escaping him, as if he half expected Shyster to leave him there.

Shyster did, admittedly, consider it for about a half of a second, but quickly reconsidered. He took the flashlight from Stray and moved to point at his back. "Get on--I'm getting us out of here."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 2:04 AM

Stray managed to half-crawl, half-climb onto Shyster's back, and the older boy hooked his arms under Stray's legs to hold him in place. "Ow--shit, watch the leg," Stray winced, hitting a fist lightly on Shyster's head, to which he replied with a grunt of irate apology.

"I can drop you any time, squirt," Shyster muttered, taking a careful step forward--and suddenly, the ground behind him erupted once more with a reptilian screech. Expletives flying from his mouth, Shyster started running, jostling the injured boy on his back as he sprinted forward. Stray squinted ahead and spotted a small opening.

"There! Go through there!" he screamed, pointing. Shyster was already on it, moving towards the small cavern. Maybe it would be a shortcut, somehow, to somewhere safer that the monster couldn't reach.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 2:07 AM

It was a tight fit, but Shyster bent his legs and managed to squeeze through--but only after abandoning the shovel. Stray managed to glance behind them as it clattered to the floor and was instantly swallowed up and melted by the glowing, sentient lava that chased them even into the thin cavern.

When Shyster emerged into something larger, he realized with a start that this place was familiar. "The lake I found!" he cried, as if the sight of water was instinctively ten thousand times better than lava. "I guess it loops right aro--ooh shiiiit!" Shyster ran forward as the small passageway they'd used was practically flooded with glowing embers, a human-height mass of glowing elemental magic hulking after them.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 2:10 AM

Stray's darted every which way, trying to think of a plan and ignore the pain that continued to sear up his leg. "Hey--hey! Shyster, jump in the lake!" he suddenly barked, tugging on the man's hair.

"Are you crazy?!" Shyster yelled back, but after one more roar from the beast behind them and a few drops of magma splashed near his feet from behind, he hardly needed time to reconsider.

Stray braced himself as Shyster did, and suddenly they were both breaking the surface of the greenish underground lake. The water was warm, but cooler than the heated air around them. It seemed the monster couldn't turn around in time, for by the time it had one foot slipping down into the water on accident, the rest of its dense, rocky body was following into the clear water.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 2:13 AM

The sound of hissing was deafening, of lava being cooled very quickly, and of the creature's rampage dying into something more soft and sizzling. Stray held his breath until Shyster swam back up, treading water ungracefully as hot waves rippled against them both. "N--nice plan," Shyster muttered, breathlessly watching the mass of Lava harden into something amorphous and bloblike, and then start to crack.

Strays hackles raised as he watched the crack glow orange like the lava, then blinked when a tiny chirping sound came from inside. That was... strange, to say the least. "Something's coming out," he whispered, tensing. "Get ready."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 2:17 AM

A chip of hardened magma broke off into the water, and a small beaklike face appeared from within. A pair of white eyes peeked out as well, chirping and clicking all sorts of enchanting noises. The creature was tiny--almost parrot-sized, but certainly not parrot-shape. Both boys' eyes were wide with surprise at the thing that had once been chasing them, which now looked like nothing more than some fantastical rock candy sculpture.

"Is it... is it going to explode again?" Shyster whispered, slowly stepping closer, though Stray was intent on leaning away as Shyster drew nearer to the creature. The glowing creature tilted its head at Shyster, reaching out with a clawed hand, then lost its balance all at once. Shyster yelped and let go of Stray's legs to hold out his hands, causing Stray to gasp and latch on to Shyster's back with all of the grace of a baby koala.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 2:19 AM

"D-don't! What if it's hot!" Stray hissed, but Shyster was just grinning as the creature fell into his hands.

"It's not--warm, yeah, but not hot. Look, kid! It's made of gemstones!" the conman whispered with the most intense, scheming grin Stray had seen on him in awhile. It sent a chill through the boy's bones, as it always did.

"Put it back," Stray muttered, eyeing it as it curled up against Shyster's body. The man was already slowly making his way out of the lake, circumventing the lava mass carefully.

"Heck no, it's mine, now. It chose me..." he whispered cryptically, and with wonder--before his pupils sharpened back into mischief. "And it's going to make me a lot of money."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 11:12 PM

It seemed the little creature wasn't particularly interested in cooperating. As soon as Shyster had walked it and Stray out of the lake, it leapt out of Shyster's hands and skittered off into a tiny hole in the wall. "Dammit!" Shyster snapped, grabbing at its tail before it disappeared--but he'd managed to pull off a little piece. The creature hadn't seemed distressed at the lost chunk.

"Well... maybe you could sell that," Stray mused, nodding towards the chunk of amber in Shyster's hand. "For some pocket change."

"Shut it," Shyster muttered, shoving the non-valuable gem into his pocket. At least it would be something to show for their efforts. "Let's keep going, I guess," he mused, looking back the way they came. There was more to explore, and if they wanted any sort of reward, they'd probably need to complete the map. "Keep drawing, up there, kid."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 09/28/2017 11:14 PM

"Oh--right," Stray mused, digging into his pocket and pulling out the now-soggy but still very much usable map he'd been crafting. Holding the flashlight between his teeth, Stray squinted as he began to map out the course they'd been finding so far.

Now back on track, Shyster was none too pleased to hear the sound of chittering up ahead. It sounded like a thousand tiny voices, speaking in broken common-language. "Oh, great. We're not alone in here," he murmured, though it did make sense. Caves were often populated--by more than just monsters, it seemed. He poked his head into the cave and wrinkled up his nose at the smell of poop. Battis hung in heaps on the walls, unclothed and chittering in not-quite sentient speech. Most of it was just noise. "Uh... just. Just draw this room. I don't see any other paths from that one."

"Gotcha."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext