The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Re: Day Job [Caving] [L?] [H by Z]

Postby Indigo » 09/17/2017 8:37 PM

"You don't have to tell me twice," she said, beginning to back out of the chamber. The creatures still didn't make any move toward them, but the way their eyes moved was...creepy. And there was no expression in their stone faces, no movement of ears or tails to indicate mood, which made it worse somehow, like they were trapped between alive and not.

Then she thought she saw motion out of the corner of her eye, and that was enough to send her running, at least until she made it back to the crystals and had to stop for fear of impaling herself. She looked around. "Bo?" Surely he'd followed suit, he might be mostly bravado but he had some sense.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/18/2017 2:07 AM

They both backed out of the cavern, slowly as they dared.  The rustle of pebbles under his feet was enough to send the hairs on his arms standing up (the ones on the back of his neck had long done that).  Hearing Magdalena's running back down the cavern sent him just as quickly running off with her.  He didn't make it long before there was a sudden pain in his chest that slowed him down.  That walk up the mountain side sure did take a lot out of him.  He also didn't stretch, which is clearly the reason for this.  

His flashlight was still off and his eyes were yet to completely adjust to the darkness.  He stopped, one hand on a knee and the other on his chest.  Wait - did Magdalena just call his name?  "Back here!" He called as loudly as he dared.  He offered one look back and instantly regretted it - a pair of golden eyes focused on him.  He scrambled a bit again, muttering curses under his breath as he lurched closer to his partner's voice.  He was going to kill that professor.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

find me on the discord if you wanna chat!
Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 558
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/18/2017 5:47 PM

She nearly tripped over Bo in trying to get back to him. Stupid—the last thing she wanted was to go back toward the danger, theoretical though it might be—but some things demanded stupidity. "You okay?" At least none of the creatures seemed to have mauled him.

There were footsteps again, echoing from the cavern they'd just fled. Maybe it would be better to move slowly, focus on being quiet, to avoid drawing attention. Which...was what they had been doing, before she'd ruined it, so she refrained from suggesting it in words, just continued away once she made sure Bo was following.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/19/2017 12:53 AM

You wouldn't catch Bo alive or dead admitting how thankful he was to find Magdalena under his grasp; a familiar warm, soft skin underneath his palm after all he could imagine was the cold stone of the creepy creatures in the cave.  As soon as he blinked those eyes in the cave were gone and he spent a moment wondering if he made it all up in the first place.  He retrieved his hand from its comfort at her arm, looking for guidance, as he followed behind her in silence. He felt comforted by the familiar ambiance of the glowing moss on the cavern walls as they tracked their steps.  His hands awkwardly rubbing together, he half-joked, “Onwards and upwards?” to an unfamiliar passage on the far side of the cavern. He quietly wished for her just to leave so he could pretend it was all her decision, though he knew that they both had a hubris that wouldn't let them leave this cave without something to show for it.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/19/2017 3:43 PM

Light was good. Light was...relatively safe, or at least gave the illusion of safety. The blue glow of the weird moss was almost like coming home.

"I don't know about upwards," Magdalena said. She didn't have a very good sense of whether they were going up or down in here, but in her general understanding of things, caves were not an upwards kind of thing. "But onward for sure. We need to make this worth our while." And she wasn't about to be the first to back out.

It was easier navigating the section with the moss the second time around, as it probably would have been with the crystals if they hadn't been running, and the soft blue light was calming in a strange way, almost enough to let her mind wander. But not quite. She wasn't about to be—

There was another one of the creatures ahead of them. Or maybe a different kind—hard to tell in this light, and the others had all been the same color. This one was a good deal smaller than the other ones, and didn't have their creepy immobility; it was chewing on some moss it appeared to have torn off the wall, though it watched them with an air of curiosity as they approached.

"Huh," she said. How had it even gotten here?

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/20/2017 5:48 PM

He scrambled for a moment to make sure he hadn't misplaced his scrawled map though he was unsure on logistics of payments for this job.  Would a partially completed map be worth anything?  He nodded vehemently at Magdalena.  Sure, he was absolutely ready to just keep going.  There were no terrors in this cave.  A whole cavern of eyes that could just come out of there and wreck their shit.

"It can't get any worse, ri-" but there was one of those little eyes again.  How did it manage to sneak around them... or were they all over the cave?  This place was hopeless!  "At least we know the moss is edible."
He joked, a small smile coming across his face.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/20/2017 5:55 PM

"Edible for these things, anyway," Magdalena said. "Their...digestion or whatever might not be the same as ours." But she surreptitiously scraped a little more of it off the wall to take with them, just in case. Where there were caves there were sometimes cave-ins.

She took a few cautious steps toward the creature—somehow it seemed less threatening, maybe just because of its size. It stopped chewing and turned to look at her, a wad of moss still hanging out of its mouth. Then it made a tiny muffled noise. Almost like a meow.

"Hey, Bo," she said. "I think this one might be lost. Maybe if we feed it it'll be friendly." Maybe he'd had the right idea earlier after all.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/20/2017 6:22 PM

"We'll find out when those things lock us in here and we have to survive the rest of our days on glowing moss," Bo quipped.  He was only half-joking, though he was quite interested in the thought of him eventually glowing because of it.  

Right, of course, now it was acceptable to try and adopt a new pet in the caves.  A faithful guide throughout the rest of this blighted place.  He shrugged, "Here goes nothing."  He slowly started to approach the little creature, hands extended to try to seem as innocent as he could.  He didn't make it very far before it scurried off to the other side of the cave and down a cavern - but not before looking back at them expectantly.  Bo gave Magdalena a look of 'here goes nothing' before trailing after it.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/20/2017 8:00 PM

She raised no objection to the idea of following the creature. She'd made a decision, foolish though it might have been, and now she'd better commit to it. Besides, she'd been planning to go that way anyway, or at least that's what she would claim if anyone asked. Not that there was anyone to ask who would believe it.

It didn't take long for the creature to lead them to a lake, of all things. Magdalena wondered idly if it was connected to the river, or just sort of here. The creature walked over to where the water met the shore and stopped, looking up at them.

"Do these things just love water or something?" she muttered. "I hope it doesn't expect us to go fishing."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/20/2017 9:11 PM

Bo was surprised by the body of water calling this cave home; it was so much larger than he could've imagined.  Definitely not the tiny pebble stream he imagined supplying the water for the moss.  He crossed his arms as he stood in front of the creature and next to her, saying, "I've got a lotta gear, I can't go in."  He shot her some finger guns and said, "Guess it's gotta be you!"  With great flair, he pulled the map and pen out. Bo winked.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/20/2017 9:21 PM

Magdalena eyed the map with affected disdain, then rolled her eyes dramatically and made for the lake. She'd known as soon as she saw it which of them would be going in—she was after all a big lizard and probably better suited—but it was no fun at all to oblige without complaint.

The water was cold, which startled her, but at least it wasn't as cold as outside the cave had been. She waded in up to her waist and looked around, trailing her fingers in the water idly. "Well, I don't see anything," she called back over her shoulder.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/21/2017 7:51 PM

Bo chuckled as she waded into the water.  "Good, no sharks.  Just weird stone-like creatures."  He laughed for a moment before looking over to the creature with the realization he could've potentially offended it.  It kept staring at him as if it was offended he wasn't getting into the water.  He held steadfast that he had no interest on getting in there.  The little thing would probably try to run off with something in his backpack.  "What?"  The creature wouldn't answer him but that wouldn't stop Bo.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/21/2017 8:13 PM

"Clearly it thinks you should be helping me," Magdalena said. "There's hardly anything to draw in here anyway, why don't you just—ah!" Something slid out from under her foot, and she fell backward into the water. Wonderful.

After a few moments' hunting around to try to figure out what had tripped her up—no dice there—she waded back to the edge and walked over to Bo. "I bet it knows you have food. I still think feeding it's our best bet."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/21/2017 8:21 PM

He kept laughing as Magdalena fell into the water, vaguely sketching what he could of the cavern.  It was hard to tell just how big it was and even more so to know how deep the lake was.  The water was surprisingly clear, but it was decently dark in this cavern even as they got further from the glowing moss.  "Feed it?"  He gave a shocked expression, continuing, "With what food?"  He wasn't a walking cafeteria, was he?  He'd be hard-pressed to share something with Magdalena much less this little creature... though it was a little cute ... and it kept staring at him.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/21/2017 8:32 PM

She rolled her eyes again. "Come on, if you don't have jerky or trail mix or dried fruit or something in that bigass pack of yours you're not the Bo I know." But she could only demand so much. This was a partnership of equals, and she'd already dragged him into this without any real discussion, she had to make concessions somewhere. "I'm not asking you to give up everything you have on you, just a little bit, to keep it friendly toward us. If it sees us as food-givers it'll probably play nice. It's so little, maybe it'll even think you're its dad."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext