The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Re: Day Job [Caving] [L?] [H by Z]

Postby Icy Rose » 09/06/2017 3:51 PM

Bo gave Magdalena one lone finger gun as he said, "Maybe I should fall into a river.  I could use a bath."  The hike up the mountain to get here lead to a lot of sweat as the sun beat down on him, even in the freezing cold.  He would've expected the cave to be stuffy but it was actually surprisingly .. cool.  Warm compared to outside.  Maybe there was a water source somewhere here to keep it cool.

He gestured to the path they would go down.  "Ladies first," he chuckled.  He'd say good luck but when did he ever need luck?

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

find me on the discord if you wanna chat!
Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 558
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/08/2017 7:48 PM

"Ha," Magdalena said, "well, I'll be sure to give you a shove if we find one."

She preceded him down the path without argument, because it would be a waste of time, and she was pretty sure she could handle something that might try to come after her in the dark. The moss was gone now, apart from the chunk she'd wrapped around the flashlight, which gave off a very faint blue glow that reflected off something up ahead.

Frowning, she switched the flashlight on. Anything shiny probably wasn't a threat, after all. Although these rocks might be dangerous if you fell on them, she considered, surveying the now-illuminated chamber.

There were no branching paths. "Nowhere to go but onward. I think the water's getting louder, too. Would be nice if these were valuable but I guess you can't have everything."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/10/2017 12:37 PM

The faint glow of the moss from the previous chamber slowly started to dwindle, the layer wrapped around Magdalena’s flashlight the only remaining part of it.  Bo turned his mounted flashlight on as it got completely dark.  

Instead of glowy moss, some sort of crystal layered the walls.  Touching one, Bo considered what his partner said. ”I dunno, maybe some fool would think this is some neat crystal.”  He knew that it wasn't valuable because God knows Bo had been screwed and he had screwed someone over.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/10/2017 7:00 PM

"You wanna knock some off and sell it later, then? Or do you mean that King guy?" Magdalena considered. "For a professor he sure didn't seem very...professorial. He'd probably be easy to fool. And he thinks there are riches down here...we might get a reward for bringing something back."

The idea was more appealing the more she thought about it. Certainly they hadn't found anything else of value in the time they'd been down here—not that that had been very long, but every moment counted, and every moment they weren't finding or fighting was a moment wasted. Perhaps it was time to make use of those moments.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Day Job [Caving] [L?] [H by Z] [10]

Postby Icy Rose » 09/10/2017 11:47 PM

Bo shrugged. “Did he even say if there was anything of value down ‘ere? I just remember the  lab coat or jacket or whatever the hell.” Everything in these caves could be free for the taking since all he wanted was a complete map out of it.  Consider it hazard pay since the previous men died.  “Maybe we take some now just in case. Maybe we loop back for some if we don't find nothin’ else,” he said.   They could try to peddle it to the professor (Bo wasn't sure if he could even tell the mineral from one of his own feathers) or perhaps some tourist in the next town they floated too. ‘Exotic crystal found in cave!’ sounded like something a tacky wife would buy.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/11/2017 6:49 PM

"He seemed to think so. I probably wouldn't have dragged us into this otherwise." Spelunking was not normally their area of expertise, after all. "I think it's worth grabbing a little."

She wasn't carrying much in the way of tools, at least not any that would be much good outside a fight with a cave monster, but her flashlight was heavy-duty enough that when she rammed it against an outcropping of crystal a few times, glittering chunks fell into her other hand. It was kind of a hit-or-miss process: her aim was somewhat haphazard and produced as many showers of splinters as useful pieces, but eventually there was enough that they could offer some to the professor and still have a bit left over to sell if he decided to buy it.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/11/2017 8:39 PM

He didn't think that anyone was going to miss the crystal, so he didn't feel too bad as Magdalena started scraping it off the wall.  He started to scribble down on the map what he could see,
turning in all directions in order to get his light to go every which direction he needed.  "How much money d'ya think the professor is getting for this?" Bo huffed as he scribbled haphazardly.  "He ain't even the man gettin' his hands dirty."  Seems like that was all they did now a days; dirty work.  Wait... how much were they getting paid for this?

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/11/2017 8:55 PM

"More than us," Magdalena said flatly. "I figured if we found anything really valuable down here we should keep it for ourselves. But we had to take the job to have the opportunity." It sounded flimsy coming out of her mouth, she supposed. This was the problem of taking on a job with minimal discussion. It had happened a few times in the early days too—excessive enthusiasm, naivete, an overwhelming desire to fight a big hyena—but she ought to know better by now, and sooner or later she'd known she was going to hear about it. She'd just hoped that it could wait until they were outside the cave.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/11/2017 9:29 PM

Bo tipped his pen in Magdalena's direction.  "I like yer thinkin'," he told her as he finished up what could tentatively be called a drawing or scribble.  He wouldn't even be too angry with her if nothing much came out of this - what else would they be doing? "Hopefully our big catch is just ahead," he mused as he put away the drawing down.  Maybe they'd finally find that source of water. Maybe they'd find a creepy crawly and Bo would get to hear her scream over it.  Gods, he'd never let her live that one down.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/14/2017 6:32 PM

The next section of the cave answered two of her questions, which was more than she'd been hoping for. Possibly also more than she'd wanted. Magdalena preferred to deal with one problem at a time.

The first answer was: here was the source of the water. Well, not the actual source of it, but the chamber's floor ended abruptly around ten feet from where they came in, and below it a torrent of water rushed by, so violently she was actually surprised they hadn't heard it all the way back at the cave entrance. It was an obvious enough drop that Bo wasn't likely to fall in by accident, fortunately.

The other answer was about the mysterious animal sounds, or at least she thought so. There might well have been something else down here as well. As it was, no sooner had she stepped into the chamber than what she'd thought to be a stalagmite near her suddenly opened a pair of bright orange eyes. She flailed backward a little, which only became more embarrassing when the creature didn't make a move toward her. "What the hell?"

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/14/2017 11:18 PM

Bo groaned as Magdalena stepped back a little bit, getting close to knocking him over in the process.  He moved back, too, instinctually.  "What'ya doin?" he asked rather impatiently, finally looking up from the map in his palm.  His eyes made contact with that of the orange creature in front of them.  It just... looked.  There was an awkward silence where he just stared at it... then looked at Magdalena... and then looked back to the creature.  Maybe this was their prize?  Some exotic cave animal?

"Uh... hey there, buddy,"  Bo started, rushing to put his pen and map away.  "What'ya doing back here?"  It didn't seem to dawn on him that perhaps this was the animals home, not that they were the ones rushing in.  This little thing had to be lost!  They'd rescue it, of course, good people that they were.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/15/2017 6:51 PM

"What are you doing?" Magdalena hissed. Granted, the creature hadn't attacked them yet, or even shown any particular interest in them beyond its stare; and maybe they'd just happened to enter its line of sight. But she felt justified in being a little apprehensive about a weird creature they found in a cave. Or even moderately apprehensive. Maybe...maybe very apprehensive, to tell the truth. She was all for fighting monsters, but this thing looked awfully stony, and she couldn't fight a rock.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/15/2017 10:33 PM

Bo had no delusions that this creature was worth fighting; if it had lived it's life in this caves (though he still liked to imagine he was a shining knight here to save it), there was no way they'd win. If they lost their flash lights they'd be pretty much hopeless.  God knows Magdalena would accidentally hurt him or vice versa.

He jerked his head as if to motion her to follow suit. What else could they do in this situation? “What else is there to do?” he grumbled to her.  He didn't hold his hand out for the little creature out of fear it would bite it right off, but he tried to look as innocent as possible.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/17/2017 9:15 AM

"We could leave," she said, "and look somewhere else, for something actually valuable. We haven't been through this whole place yet, there might be--"

She stopped. Her efforts to whisper and avoid upsetting the creature had fallen by the wayside almost immediately, and now she saw other stalagmites opening their eyes, throughout the chamber. This place was full of these things.

None of them made a move, yet, just stared at her and Bo. It made her twitchy. Hopefully this was the only room these things were in, and they hadn't been watching the whole time.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/17/2017 8:13 PM

One of Bo's mortal flaws would be pride.  It was rather inarguable.  Anyone that knew him would definitely say he was overconfident in himself and a little narcissistic.  Even though Magdalena probably knew he wasn't nearly as ballsy as he made himself out to be, he'd never stop trying.

Until dozens of eyes peeked out of the darkness and onto them.  He quickly changed his mind.  "Leavin' sounds like the best idea."  He had half a mind to just run out of the cave with his tail between his legs, damn his ego. He took a step backwards.  "Slowly...."

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext