The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Re: Day Job [Caving] [L?] [H by Z]

Postby Icy Rose » 09/21/2017 8:39 PM

Bo rolled his eyes dramatically as he reached into one of his jackets many, many pockets and brought out a long stick of beef jerky that he may or may not had already taken a bite of since they entered the cave.  "Yes, the other creatures done turned me t' stone.  Bo 2.0."  He crouched down, snapped a piece of the jerk off and held it out on an outstretched palm.  "Maybe cool older brother?  I'm too young to be a dad," he joked.  The creature stalked forward and ate right out of his hand - Bo couldn't even hide his excitement.  "Ya like that, huh?"  He went to snap off another piece of jerky but it ran forward and snagged the whole stick out of his hand.  "Hey!"

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

find me on the discord if you wanna chat!
Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 558
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/21/2017 8:46 PM

Magdalena laughed, slightly harder than would probably have been polite. "Guess it was hungrier than you thought." Her mood turned more contemplative as she watched the creature chow down on the stick of meat. "I wonder if that professor will claim it as treasure if we try to take it with us. Seems like the kind of bullshit he might try. If we want to keep it maybe we should find a way to hide it." She glanced at Bo. "If we want to keep it." She did, which surprised her—she'd never been one for pets—but it wasn't just her decision.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/21/2017 8:57 PM

He couldn't stop laughing for a moment before he gathered himself to try and consider what she was saying.  He was all-together unsure if it would leave the cave with him; he wouldn't mind much if it did.  He watched it as it chomped down on the jerky and Bo pulled out another stick of it.  "Prolly keep 'im in a cage his whole life," he frowned.  That wasn't quite fair.  "I dunno if he'll even go outside."  If it had lived in this cave for so long it could be difficult for it to adjust.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/21/2017 9:12 PM

"We might as well give it a try," she said. "If we just leave it here...there was some competition for this job, you know? One of the other groups might find it and they might be more willing to sell it off. If it won't come with us that's one thing, but it's worth a shot at least." She looked back toward the lake, with its clear dark water, apparently devoid of life. "Come on, let's go down that last passage. This place gives me the creeps."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/21/2017 10:34 PM

Bo nodded, closing up his pocket as he side eyed their little friend.  "I think its a him," he decided.  "We better come up with a name."  He scribbled some miscellaneous things onto his map before tucking it away.  They went back towards the main cavern of glowing moss, rolling his eyes as the Grondalith licked and chewed some of it on the way.  "The good news is that this is the last cavern going off of this main one,"  he looked over his shoulder to the cavern where all the eyes were.  "I can't wait to get out of here."  He didn't think much of the crunch under his boot - it had to just be loose gravel... but then... the smell?  He finally turned on the light atop of his head and groaned, loudly.  "You've gotta be shittin' me."  The pun was lost on him.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/21/2017 10:41 PM

Magdalena heard Bo's reaction to the next chamber, but she didn't really consider what it might have meant until she was already ankle-deep in it. "Oh." She dug around for her flashlight in the hope that it would reveal something other than what she suspected, but no. It was genuine bat shit as far as the eye could see.

"Okay, that's it," she said. "I've had enough. I'm out. Nothing in this cave could possibly be worth wading through this for however long." She could see the far end of it with the aid of her light, but it was still too far for comfort.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Day Job [Caving] [L] [H by Z]

Postby Icy Rose » 09/21/2017 11:13 PM

Bo was partial to agreeing with her.  This definitely came close to the lines of "things I certainly would not do, even though I was getting paid".  "We're... so close," he said, defeatedly. They would best this cave, if not just for his own personal pride.  He pinched his nose, coughing a little too dramatically.  "Why'd you let us come in here?"  He asked the creature, which just tilted his head.  The little thing had wings but he wasn't sure how well it would work; it seemed rather sure that it wanted to come with them at least this far.  "Do you need a lift, buddy?"  He held out his arms to signal that he'd carry it, but it just stared back at him.  God, these things were a little creepy.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/21/2017 11:23 PM

"Probably can't smell too well, what with being made of stone and all," she said, as if she were any kind of authority on the matter. The creature probably wasn't even literal stone, given that he was alive and all, and ate food, but she felt her point held up anyway. What was there to smell down here? Well, apart from this, anyway.

She scooped up the creature without waiting for a signal from him, since Bo didn't seem willing to make that choice for him. He was heavy, but not as much as she'd feared, and he cooperated nicely. "Wonder if you'd fit in one of our packs," she muttered. "Any ideas for a name, since you wanted to give him one?"

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/21/2017 11:33 PM

The more he tried to ignore the smell in this cavern, the more potent it seemed to get.  He almost wished they were back in the room with a million eyes watching them.  He should've gotten into that underground lake and just went to town.  Let's ignore the rest of the job, he'd say, this is so much better.  Instead they were walking around in guano.  He made the conscious decision to not look up at the ceiling where the perpetrators were probably living.  Good thing it was a tall ceiling.  Begrudgingly, Bo retrieved his map and began some very lazy drawing.  "Yer talkin' to a man who goes by Bo," he chuckled a little, despite himself, "Do I look like I'd be good w' names?  I'll call him Buddy."

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/22/2017 6:50 AM

"Oh, because I'm so much better with names than you are," Magdalena said. But she did give the matter some thought; it was a decent distraction from what they were walking through. She wasn't really planning to abandon the job now, after the amount of effort they'd put into this they'd better get something good out of it, but she certainly wasn't one to suffer in silence. "I think this has to be at least the third-worst job we've ever taken."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/22/2017 11:14 AM

Bo considered.  He would agree, it was definitely in the top three worst jobs. At this point, he almost wished he was in something more dangerous than disgusting.  He would love a good brawl right now instead of treading through guano.  "I'm barely drawing this cavern," he started, "I'm not gonna wander around her any more than I have to."  He mostly just guessed how far the walls were, the shape of the passage, and where it was going.  He realized that if they were going to go forward, they likely had to come back through this.  Misery.  "I almost wish we were back doin' that job where I broke my arm." It was gnarly business, but that healed up alright.  He wasn't sure his ego would after this.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/22/2017 5:06 PM

"Just as well. If you have that map out when one of our hosts--" She gestured toward the ceiling. "--decides to add to the pile, all that work is wasted. We might at least get a reward for a quality map, even if we don't find anything else good."

She found herself absently petting the stone creature. It wasn't entirely pleasant--a sensation somewhere between stone and fur, fairly rough--but it was so intriguing a texture she couldn't stop herself.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/22/2017 5:47 PM

His pace wasn't steady.  His face jumbled up as he went back and forth between dragging his feet or picking them up and down with a dramatic squelch.  He looked over to Magdalena absently petting the Grondalith and pointed at the little thing.  "If you let us walk through this and nothing comes out of it, I'm leaving you behind."  It blinked, those large eyes just staring at him.  He looked upset.  Bo huffed,
angrily grabbing both sides of his pack.  "Maybe a giant treasure pile.  Without the dragon."

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Indigo » 09/22/2017 5:56 PM

"I'll take the dragon. After walking through all of this for however long it takes I'm about ready to fight something big and mean." She eyed the little beast. Maybe I'll go back and fight all those critters in that one room, she thought but did not say; whether he understood their words or not she had no idea, but she didn't want to risk upsetting him. He'd grown on her awfully quickly.

"What do you think of calling him Jeremy?" she mused. "He looks kind of like a Jeremy? Maybe?"

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/24/2017 1:00 PM

He understood the appeal; he was certainly ready to brawl now, too.  It went without saying that once they returned from this job, they'd have a rather rowdy night.  He'd spend all the money they get from this job on some stiff drinks.  "Jeremy sounds good,"  He looked over to Jeremy and said, "Jeremy alright to you?"  Just those big eyes looked back at him.  "He's... a little creepy," Bo admitted. "But the other ones seemed angry.  He doesn't."  It was surprising for him to be so friendly towards people but he wasn't going to complain.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext