The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

Re: Screeching Abyss [Caving] [H by C]

Postby Skylark » 09/01/2017 2:46 AM

Not to sound too cliche, but the darkness truly was blinding. Mags continued for a while longer, increasingly nervous as she felt she was just stumbling into nothingness the further she went. The occasional echoes from up ahead that sounded like Jaks moving around kept her moving forward, although it was altogether too tempting to just turn around and rush back towards the sound of rushing water. But, no. She'd come too far now to back out just because she was a little nervous.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5
Donate

"Mags, hurry up already!" A disgruntled voice shouted from up ahead, causing Mags to flinch just in case something happened again. Luckily, this time the caves were silent. No bats flying around to startle her this time! There was still the pressing matter of finding her friends, but it didn't seem to scary when nothing seemed to be rushing out at her from the darkness. Eventually, the sounds of echoing weren't quite so far away and Mags felt like she might have finally made it!
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

It was that moment that a sudden, startling, blinding light lit the around all around her. Mags yelped and hid her eyes away from the light. After so much darkness, she could barely see! It was painful, even, and soft whimpers could be heard that she didn't even realize were coming from her until a comforting claw lighted on her shoulder.

"Sorry." Jaks said, actually sounding apologetic for once. "I just wanted you to see this. I didn't mean to scare you with the light, you'll get used to it soon. I promise."
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 09/01/2017 3:02 AM

It took a little while, but eventually Mags' eyes didn't feel like they were going to burn out of her very head if she looked around. Once her eyes did adjust, she couldn't hold on to any resentment towards Jaks at all for leaving her alone. This part of the cavern was dazzling. The mica was stuck in the walls and ground, pointy bits of rock were covered in it, creating and amazing swirl of light reflected off of Jaks' flashlight.

"Woah." A small smile spread over Mags' face. "Okay. This was worth getting lost."
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 09/01/2017 3:03 AM

Jaks laughed at that and handed Mags her own flashlight. "So you say now." She teases and nudged her friend, nodding towards the way out of this part of the caverns. "This part is a dead end, I just wanted you to see it before we headed back. I think I saw a few ways to go from the last room we were in, if you don't mind braving the bats again."

Mags shuddered theatrically, but the smile she sent Jaks' way showed that she was only kidding. "That's fine!" She chirped happily. "As long as we get to explore this whole place I'm ready for it!"
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 09/01/2017 3:08 AM

The cavern with the mica and crystals was quickly put to their backs. Now it was time for them to venture back through the bat caves and on to the next adventure! Mags would probably admit that she moved faster through the bat cave than she really needed to. They had really freaked her out. She'd learned her lesson about running too quickly through caverns that might have residents in them. She didn't need to make the mistake of running loudly though the caves again to know it was a bad idea!
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 09/01/2017 3:08 AM

At least this time they were using their flashlights. In any case, the two feathered friends ventured on with flashlights trained in front of them, ready to spot any new wonders they might come across.

"I bet you we find a cave troll." Jaks said with a smug grin.

Mags rolled her eyes at that. "Come on, cave trolls don't actually exist!"

"How do you know that?" Her friend shot back, clearly unconvinced that she could be wrong. Mags scoffed in return.

"Well, I haven't seen any before and I've been in an awful lot of caves."

Jaks rolled her eyes and smirked at her friend. She'd been joking before, but now she hoped they would run across something that'd make Mags eat her words.

[Processed up to here]
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 09/04/2017 2:53 AM

"Ugh, I think I smell a cave troll." Mags suddenly complained. They had been walking for a while and the cave certainly hadn't gotten any brighter, but what it had been doing was picking up more and more interesting smells the further they went. The air was getting steadily staler, which was to be expected, but now it had started to take on a certain... quality to it that was very much not pleasant. Not pleasant at all.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 09/04/2017 2:53 AM

Jaks snorted her agreement at the assessment. She slowed down in her walking, not particularly enthused to keep going when the air was getting harder to process without gagging. "What is that?" She asked, perhaps a bit harshly. She had the sensitive nose of a predator, after all, and strong odors did not mesh particularly well with creatures with relied on them to survive.

"I don't know." Mags returned, shaking her head as if that would rid her of the stench.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 09/04/2017 2:54 AM

"But it's only getting worse the father we go! Maybe we should turn back and look for a different way?" She sure as heck didn't want to walk into or meet whatever the heck smelled like that.

Jaks seriously contemplated the suggestion, but she ended up shaking her head. They had already gotten this far in the darkness, if they turned back now they'd just have to spend that much more time retracing their steps. It would be better to get through this part of the cave as quickly as possible and just never return. Ever.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

"We can do this." She said, determined. "We'll just go through it as quick as we can. I'm sure there must be something on the other side."

Mags resisted the urge to whine in complaint. Her feathers still ruffled up, not that Jaks could see it much in the darkness. With a great sigh, she even started moving forward. Jaks moved with her, too, keeping an eye out for whatever the heck was out there making that huge stink.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

They didn't have long to find out.

They had only been walking a little further when they felt the first crunches underfoot.

"Jaks." Mags said, horrified and refusing to move.

"Just. Keep. Going." Jaks replied through gritted teeth. Despite the suggestion, it took her longer than she'd like to admit to keep moving herself. Every step had her shuddering and wishing with great fervor that they'd never left that waterfall after all. What she wouldn't give to be jumping into water right now to wash off the stink that would probably never, ever, EVER leave her toe claws after this.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skylark » 09/04/2017 2:55 AM

Mags whined some more next to her. Jaks gritted her teeth and kept moving.

"We can do this, Mags. We're probably almost to the other side already!" Some chittering above their heads made both pause all of a sudden, heads cocked. More chittering. Jaks frowned up at the ceiling above them and was very, very tempted to tell the occupants of the ceiling just how she felt about their leavings being all over the floor of this damn cave with no concern towards cleaning them up at all.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

It was rude, unsanitary, and she didn't care if they never had any intention of ever being on the floor for their entire lives! They should still make sure they weren't living in filth!

Still, the experience with the bats flying all over their heads was still fairly fresh in her mind so she held her tongue. Mags started grumbling next to her so Jaks poked her in the ribs to encourage her silence on the matter, too. They sure didn't need to get in trouble with the creatures up there to make this journey even more horrible than it already is.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

"This is ridiculous." Mags grumbled. "Even in the forest or jungle we didn't leave entire floors covered in poo. They could at least try to shovel it away! Or, hey, invent a toilet!" Her grumbling was quiet, so Jaks didn't reprimand her. Plus it was kinda funny to hear Mags complain about poop. It was a good distraction from the literal shit they were walking through right this very moment.

"Maybe they've never seen a toilet before." She offered back, innocently.
ImageImageImage
Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Let It Rock
Skylark
Master Pet Tamer