The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

[29] [19]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2019 3:05 PM

Earthstrike eventually snapped out of it, shaking his head. He tried to get right into it, staring at his campmates carefully, eyes flicking from one Kuhna to another. Their group wasn't so big, but it was big enough to make this a difficult decision. Maybe if he had been paying more attention to his campmates, he would know their strengths better. But he had never been in a position of power where he would need to know.

But now he was, wasn't he? He was officially the interim. He would be the one organizing groups to patrol the territory to find food, and to make sure everything was safe from the elements and their predators.

His heartbeat quickened. He shook his head again.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

[29] [20]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2019 3:17 PM

He had to think about it logically. Scarcrown had suggested a fast runner and an Oracle. Although their Oracle barely ever shared with their ancestors — hence why they were called Oracles — they still knew all about healing and taking care of the others. Going on such a long journey, Earthstrike would need an Oracle to take care of them. Predators like Battlehearts could appear anywhere.

They had one main Oracle, and then a few Kuhnas who had taken a liking to learning about the herbs and the ways to treat injuries. Although they were too far away to retain their connection with the Kuhnas of ages past, they still had a talent for interpreting signs.

Figuring out who to bring as Oracle would be the easier decision for now.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [21]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2019 4:30 PM

Their actual Oracle would be out of the question: the Kuhna was old. Despite his sharp, clear mind, his body couldn't quite follow as well anymore. All wasn't lost, of course. In anticipation of their Oracle retiring, he had been testing a few Kuhnas in the group, to see if any of them had it in them to carry on the torch.

A few had proved to be worthy of becoming the new Oracle. One specific pupil, though, stood out from the others. Earthstrike pondered if, perhaps, she was the one he would need on his journey. The Oracle had always been a source of support. While he ought to keep the journey to himself, he was confident telling the Oracles would do no harm.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [22]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2019 4:38 PM

He made his way into the den where the Oracle lived. Although the Oracle apprentices didn't really share it, they often hanged around inside, considering what they were meant to become. A lot preferred to stay with their friends and fellow hunters, rather than spending it sleeping between the plants and their smells.

One pupil, though, essentially spent her days and nights in the den. She was the one Earthstrike wanted to share with. Of course, before he opened his mouth to the young Oracle, he ought to speak to the older Kuhna first. He ought to know where one of his students would be, and why they would be away.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [23]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2019 4:47 PM

Upon entering, the smells of the herbs hit his nose like a strong wind. They didn't particularly bother him, but he knew how they suffocated others.

He nodded as he came across the younger, potential Oracles. The den was carved out of an old, massive tree. Ledges and holes had been carved in order to create a tower of sorts. It was a beautiful place, if one could ignore the mixed smells of the herbs and berries.

In his old age, their Oracle couldn't always make it up to the top of the tree tower. Looking up and putting his nose to work, though, Earthstrike could tell the old Kuhna was in his nest up at the top. With graceful and skillful jumps, he made his way up.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [24]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2019 5:26 PM

"Acornbark?" Earthstrike called out as he reached the top of the tree. Sometimes, he wondered how the old Oracle didn't accidentally roll off the edge of his den while he slept.

He heard noise coming from the den, and before long, a raspy, old voice spoke. "Lil Earthstrike?" the Kuhna said. "What does the new interim want with me?"

Earthstrike's ears twitched. "You know what happened?" He couldn't remember seeing the old Oracle among the Kuhnas who had gathered around Scarcrown.

A loud, indignant huff sounded by the den. "I'm old, not deaf," Acornbark said with a growl in his throat. "You should answer questions asked to you before asking your own."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [25]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2019 5:34 PM

Earthstrike rolled his eyes, but the old Kuhna's attitude did make him smile. Wasn't it fitting, for an advisor to the leader to have such a sharp tongue? "Mind if I come by you?" Acornbark had just told him not to ask any further questions until he answered the Oracle's, but barging in sounded rude. "It's something important that I want to discuss with you."

Another huff. "You made it this far," Acornbark said. "Get here already."

With one last jump, Earthstrike landed in the den of the old Oracle. The old Kuhna was curled up comfortable in his nest. His short, curly fur had become tainted silver with age, barely showing the orange and beige that had looked so close to the nut the Oracle was named after.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [26]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2019 5:41 PM

Earthstrike sat down by the Oracle. Acornbark narrowed his eyes with curiosity. "Well?" the old one asked. "What do you want?"

Earthstrike took a moment to stretch his ears. He couldn't hear anything in the den down below the tree. "Scarcrown has entrusted me with an important mission." Beating around the bush would only aggravate the Oracle. "I'm leaving the clan to go on a long journey."

Acornbark's grumpy attitude had now turned to shock. "A journey?" he echoed. "Where? Why?" He was starting to move, now seeming antsy.

"Far away," Earthstrike answered. "He wants me to try and find our old home back in Roraldi." He hesitated as he held the old Oracle's shocked eyes and open mouth. "To find out if we can go back."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [27]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2019 5:48 PM

Earthstrike waited for Acornbark to absorb that he'd just said. At first, the Oracle stared, pure shock and fear in his face. And then, almost as quickly as he'd widened his eyes, Acornbark closed them, relaxing back into his nest. Earthstrike tilted his head.

"So he is setting her plan in motion," the old Kuhna whispered, keeping his eyes closed. Still, Earthstrike could see the frown. "Is it time?"

Acornbark's words rang strange in Earthstrike's ears. Had the Oracle been aware of this all along? "Whose plan?" he asked after the Oracle had gone quiet.

Acornbark slowly opened his eyes, now oddly calm. "Searcrown's. His mother," he answered. "She, too, wanted nothing more than finding our old home again."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [28]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/23/2019 6:02 PM

Earthstrike was surprised. This plan, then, wasn't Scarcrown's?

Before he could say anything in response, Acornbark's eyes darkened. "Watch over him, Earthstrike."

Earthstrike blinked. "Who?"

Acornbark frowned. "Scarcrown," he answered. "He is young, and he is ambitious. He has a good heart." He paused, closing his eyes. "But a good heart breaks easily."

When Acornbark opened his eyes again, Earthstrike was taken aback by the wisdom he could see in them. The old Kuhna's age was completely forgotten in that moment. "The deaths of his parents is only the first disaster to strike him. How much despair can he endure?" He turned his head, staring at the wall of the old, massive oak. "What happens when you're lead by vengeance?"

[Wild Pet Found]
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [29]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/27/2019 11:55 PM

The words of the old Kuhna left Earthstrike quiet, deep in thought. He wasn't sure how to process any of it.

After a small pause of silence, Earthstrike quietly said, "Did you get an omen?" In his mind, that was the only way the old Oracle could be claiming such things so confidently.

Acornbark glanced back towards him before slowly turning back to make eye contact with him. "I haven't received or seen omens," he answered dryly, "ever. But I don't need an omen for me to know." He shook his head, and he looked down at the ground. "You think the leaders past wanted to go back for the good of the others? No. Vengeance is a big part of it all."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [30]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/27/2019 11:58 PM

Earthstrike talking with Acornbark had strictly been to warn him that he wanted to take a young Oracle with him on the journey. Yet, here they were, discussing some alarming issues that were happening within the clan. Earthstrike felt uncomfortable learning these things: in his judgement, they were meant for the leader to hear. Only then did he remember, once again, that he now held an important title within the group. Outside of the leading royal family, the interim and the Oracle were the two most important roles in the group.

Earthstrike shook his head. He wasn't sure where to pick up from there.

Picking up on his discomfort, Acornbark looked back up at him, his eyes softening a little. "Don't worry, Earthstrike."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [31]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/28/2019 12:03 AM

When he didn't look convinced, Acornbark went on. "We will watch over Scarcrown while you are away. I will guide him the best I can," he promised the young interim.

Earthstrike was stretching out his paws, and then curling them back in. He tried to make himself believe that it helped him think. "I'd appreciate it that," he whispered. Was it true that Scarcrown was being guided by vengeance? He tried to think back to his mother, Searcrown, a fierce, no nonsense leader who would have protected the whole clan with the unstoppable strength of a mother. Could she, too, really have been driven by vengeance in this desire to relocate the clan?

Acornbark said he had never received an omen, but Earthstrike wondered if this short conversation had been just that.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [32]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/28/2019 12:10 AM

The old Oracle shifted in his nest, returning to a more comfortable position. "Come now, Earthstrike," he rasped, "forget all this. You came here to talk about this journey Scarcrown is sending you on." He tilted his head. "Why did you want to speak to me?"

Earthstrike stayed silent for a little bit longer. Acornbark's words were etched into his mind now; they would be casting a shadow over his thoughts for a while yet. The elder was right, though: he needed to move on. "I came because Scarcrown suggested that I bring an Oracle with me," he explained, and changing the subject allowed his body to relax a little bit.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[29] [33]

Postby Jaykobell » 02/28/2019 12:15 AM

When he saw the old Kuhna's face frown, Earthstrike went on. "I wanted to ask you who I should take with me," he explained. "I also wanted you to know you would be one student short for a while." Or forever, he thought uncomfortably, taking a deep breath to chase the worry away.

Acornbark didn't reply right away. "Right," he groaned, but without adding anything more. Then, curiously, he added, "Did you have anyone in mind?"

Earthstrike nodded. "I did," he admitted. He wouldn't have had the courage to admit it, since he didn't want the old Oracle to think Earthstrike had made a decision without getting Acornbark's advice on the matter. "I was thinking of taking Gildedfaith."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext