The longest range in Lambastia, the Tuun Mountains cover up much of the northwest. Unlike the harsh Fe'gan Mountains, the Tuun Mountains have varying temperatures, from very mild to slightly colder depending on where you go and which sections you explore. (+3 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tuun Mountains

Re: Not Quite the Right Thing [HUNT] [self; L]

Postby crow » 12/02/2015 4:37 AM

She thought he might say something else after that, but he didn't, so she kept on scrounging around for more wood and tying what she found together. She had to wander further and further out to find what she needed, since what she was looking for were lengths at least as tall as she was. There was no point making a door she couldn't pass through, after all. She also hadn't experimented with using her power with doors whose dimensions didn't more or less match up, and now wasn't the best time to start. With no axe, that meant she had to be pretty picky about what she picked up off the forest floor.

She hadn't realized Faber was gone until she was hauling her third bundle of wood up to the crude frame that she'd set up. "Faber!" she called; his name echoed across the range for a moment, then silence fell once more.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 12:49 AM

Great. Just trust Faber to go missing. Charlie threw her finds to the ground and marched further up into the woods in the direction opposite the one she'd come from, calling his name. “Faber! Hey, Faber! Where are you?” She hadn't been gone for that long, so he shouldn't have been far. She searched a few minutes before it occurred to her that on the contrary, yes, he really could've gone quite a ways. She cursed under her breath. She kept forgetting what it was that he could do, even though she'd seen him do it so many times. It shouldn't have been thast hard to keep his powers in mind since that was the basis for their acquaintance, but people with powers just weren't a regular part of her life. She hadn't wanted them to be either. Her own abilities were often hassle enough.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 12:49 AM

“If you're lost, you'd better holler! If you don't, I'm not going to look for you anymore!” she called out into the woods, feeling more foolish by the second. Only silence answered her call, along with the distant noise of some animal of the woods. That was that, then. Muttering under her breath, she returned to her task of gathering poles.

By the time she had brought her next haul back, she had almost forgotten about it. Okay, that was a lie; she had resolved to forget about it, and had almost managed to stop thinking about it, which was... almost as good. Good enough, anyway. The point was, she wasn't going to let it get to her.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 12:50 AM

Of course, that would be the exact moment when he decided to show up. Of course it was.

He was standing next to the door, facing her, presumably having watched her walk up. She hadn't noticed him until she was nearly there, her gaze having been fixedly on the ground and her mind firmly on other things. She swore again when she did finally notice him, then scrambled to regain her hold on the fallen saplings she'd collected. “Where the fuck--- Where'd you vanish off to? Wait, no, I don't want to know,” she said, closing her eyes and grimacing. She wasn't going to get sucked into his pace.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 12:52 AM

“I, uh, I wanted to find you a door. I guess you already built one,” he said sheepishly, holding something out. It was a wonder she hadn't noticed it earlier, really. He was holding a door, ripped clean off from wherever it had been before, with the hinges still attached. She stared at it for a long moment, before looking back at him. He was smiling hopefully, though it was beginning to take a strained cast. His arms evidently couldn't support the door by themselves for much longer.

Find her a... door. Right. Because she had wanted one. She was never going to understand his thought process, was he? Well, it would help if he talked more. Except, no, actually, maybe it wouldn't. Maybe she'd just be more confused if he did.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 12:54 AM

She almost, almost wanted to ask how he managed to take the door to begin with. It was an old rickety thing, which meant she didn't worry that it might be missed, but even then, Faber didn't look strong enough to have ripped it off himself. She thought better of it, however. Faber wasn't the best with explanations, and she might find out something she would regret.

Taking the door from him, she inspected it. It was old, but the wood had been of good quality when it was made. It had withstood the test of time relatively well. Certainly, if it was going to break, it probably would've already from being manhandled out of its original place. “Wish you'd've told me about this earlier,” she said. “It would've saved me a lot of work.”
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 1:12 AM

“Are you not going to use it?” said Faber, looking put out.

“I didn't say that,” said Charlie. “The hinges would've been useful either way. I wasn't sure how I was gonna make those.” That much was true--- she wasn't just saying it to make him feel better. She wasn't the say-things-to-make-people-feel-better type. Still, she wasn't going to hold back the truth just to make someone feel worse either. “And I wasn't having a real good go of this part either,” she added, motioning to the half-complete door. It was a pity that her shirt had been sacrificed in vain after all, but shirts were easy to replace in the grand scheme of things, and that one really had been on its way out.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 1:12 AM

Faber was grinning--- of course he was. “Good, you can go home now, can't you? And we can come back tomorrow?”

“Right,” she said slowly. “As soon as I attach this, yeah. But why? You think your friend's out here, for real?” She'd asked him that before, but back then his answer hadn't been too clear. This time, Faber nodded with a little more confidence. Not a lot. “You still don't know, do you?”

“The door was hard to get off,” he said. She waited to see if there was more forthcoming, but when he didn't say anything else, she sighed and got to work lining up the door with the frame.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 1:13 AM

“Damn, I hope this thing stays upright. I should've brought a hammer and nails... Who the fuck even needs a hammer and nails out in the woods? Geez.” Muttering to herself as she worked, she took a rock and slammed the nails attached to the hinges into the poles of the frame. The door teetered precariously even though she braced it against her leg and shoulder, but that was just the nature of this project. Eventually she noticed that it was shaking less than it had been, and looked up to see that Faber had quietly taken up the other end. She grunted a thanks, and his eyes flickered up to her face for a moment--- no more than that. She preferred it that way, anyway. Better to just focus on the task at hand, and not think about all the other things she wasn't thinking about.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 1:14 AM

The whole thing was finished just before darkness fell. “A real fruitful day this was,” Charlie said, but she no longer had the energy to be cutting. “We're just going home now, right? Unless you had any other plans?” The look she gave him clearly said that she wasn't in the mood for any more adventuring for the day. Fortunately, he shook his head. “Good. I don't know about you, but I need a good night's sleep.” She opened the door and thought of home, and hoped to whatever powers were listening that this worked. It wasn't the end of the world if it didn't, but she sure as hell didn't want to tumble home feeling like she was going to puke up a lung. Besides, if Faber really did mean for them to come back here, she was going to need a way to do that on a regular basis, with or without him around.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 1:16 AM

She gingerly pulled the door open, and nearly sagged in relief. Her own bathroom stared back out at her, livid with the last lights of dusk filtering in through the small frosted window. She had half stepped through before she remembered Faber, and spared a glance behind her. He was standing out on the edge of the flattish clearing they'd materialized onto, looking out at the rest of the range.

“Hey, Faber,” she said, more loudly than she meant to. He startled, then looked back. “You coming?” He hesitated, and she was convincing herself that she didn't care if he did or not--- it would've been easier if he didn't anyway, because how was she going to explain this, and---

“No, I'm going to keep looking,” he said. “I can't sleep anyway.” The last part was mumbled, as if he hadn't really meant for her to hear.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/05/2015 10:31 PM

Charlie stood there, considering him for a moment. She had opened her mouth, half started to say something, then abruptly closed it and shook her head. What he did was his business, and she was going home. Hadn't she just been thinking it would be simpler for her if he didn't come? Well then.

"Suit yourself," she said, and walked through the door, pulling it closed behind her. It closed with a soft click--- the sound of the latch sliding home on the bathroom door of a modern house, and not the ramshackle construction out on a mountain in the woods. She leaned back against it, closing her eyes.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/06/2015 9:32 AM

The smell of her house grounded her, even when she couldn't see anything. There was some real irony there--- when did she start thinking of home as being preferable to somewhere else? No, that wasn't a complete surprise. Elliot was here. And their parents weren't home as often as they used to be anyway, so a lot of the time she had the run of the house. That wasn't so bad.

Or maybe she just needed sleep. That sounded like the more likely answer. She pushed herself off from the door and turned around, opening it the normal way. She couldn't hear either of her parents, but she crept all the way to Elliot's room anyway out of habit.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/06/2015 9:33 AM

He stirred slightly as she settled down next to him. She was afraid for a moment that he would wake up, but he simply snuggled into the pillow with a sigh.

She thought she would fall asleep right away herself. She felt tired enough for it. On the whole, based off this first day of Rescue Adventures with Faber, she vastly preferred working ten-hour days during the peak of the holiday season. Instead, she found herself unable to drift off, lying awake staring at the ceiling as she thought about... nothing in particular. The thoughts kept creeping up, and she kept quashing them down, sensing somehow that they wouldn't lead anywhere good. Eventually she must have drifted off, though she didn't know when. Maybe avoiding that much thinking had finally worn her out for real.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/12/2015 9:46 PM

As for Faber, his excuse of staying behind to look for Akala hadn't been perfectly honest. He wasn't sure what exactly drove him to it. Maybe it was the fact that if he had gone with her, she would have wanted him to sleep there, in that house of hers. There shouldn't have been anything wrong with that. People liked houses, liked to be warm. It wasn't the walls that bothered him. Nothing, really, bothered him about being inside when he was awake.

It was when he fell asleep that things got more unpleasant. He could never stand the heat of it when he slept. It made the nightmares worse, made his body remember--- He didn't remember. He wasn't going to think about it.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext