The longest range in Lambastia, the Tuun Mountains cover up much of the northwest. Unlike the harsh Fe'gan Mountains, the Tuun Mountains have varying temperatures, from very mild to slightly colder depending on where you go and which sections you explore. (+3 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tuun Mountains

Not Quite the Right Thing [HUNT] [self; L]

Postby crow » 10/31/2015 10:52 PM

ImageImage

Charlie gasped and sputtered as soon as she felt her feet hit ground, unable to stop herself from falling to her knees on the grass. She felt absolutely wretched. She had thought of herself as pretty resilient--- she almost never got sick, for one, and she wasn't prone to carsickness or anything like that. For someone who got banged up as often as she did, her body bounced back pretty quick too. But this? This was something else. Her coughing turned into heaving, and she soon found herself fighting against her breakfast, which was threatening to crawl back up her throat. For the record, cereal bars tasted like absolute shit the second time around.

Faber, of course, seemed perfectly fine. Having chanced a glance at him, she immediately regretted it. He was just standing there, looking at her with an expression of faint concern, apparently unaffected by the same forces that were even now causing the world to spin slightly for poor Charlie. Of course. As they say, there was never anything that couldn't be made worse by a little humiliation.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Re: Not Quite the Right Thing [HUNT] [self; L]

Postby crow » 10/31/2015 10:56 PM

"Are you okay?" Faber asked. Charlie resisted the urge to roll her eyes, if only because she was fairly certain that would tip the scales against her in her ongoing battle to not puke. She settled for shooting him a withering look, though the effect was somewhat ruined by the fact that she was starting to look a little green around the edges.

At least he got the message, and smiled a little, sheepishly. "You know, Akala was like that too, the first time." Charlie was confused for a moment--- who?--- but then she remembered his friend. Right, the same friend they were looking for, which was why she was being dragged to the middle of fuck-ass nowhere in probably the worst possible way.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/31/2015 10:59 PM

If that was supposed to be comforting though, Charlie had some real sad news for him. "If you knew this was going to happen, why didn't you warn me?" She had meant to sound sharp, but her body didn't quite have the strength to manage that.

He faltered at that, and there was another one of his pauses. She was starting to wonder about those. Was he just slow? Did he need the time to think? Or maybe it was some kind of weird tick, or... Well, regardless, she wasn't in any sort of rush to carry on this conversation, so it didn't matter. Eventually, he said, "I guess I thought you'd be used to it. Your power's not that different from mine."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/31/2015 11:03 PM

She was about to make a retort, but his words caught her. He wasn't wrong, exactly. He'd told her a little about what Akala's abilities entailed, and they weren't nearly as similar to hers as Faber's were, at least in the teleportation aspect. She had to allow that it wasn't an entirely unreasonable assumption to make, though she certainly never felt like this when she was using her own abilities. In fact, she hardly felt anything at all.

Suddenly curious, she said, "Do you remember when I pulled you through that door?"

"The time with all those thugs? Yeah," he said, slightly puzzled, as if he didn't know where she was going with this.

Charlie winced; she had almost forgotten about that after her ribs had healed. "Anyway. You didn't feel sick when I pulled you along with me, did you?"
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/01/2015 6:57 PM

Faber thought it over for a moment, and Charlie thought that he'd make one of his pauses again, but he promptly shook his head. "It was a bit uncomfortable, but not like this." Charlie sighed; of course he would get away scott free. Maybe it had something to do with how sick-making his own form of teleportation was--- having gotten used to that, everything else probably paled in comparison.

Thinking about it was just making her grouchier, so she turned her attention to their surroundings instead, taking them in for the first time. She hadn't noticed it at first due to how queasy she had been feeling, but now that that was abating, she was beginning to become aware of how cold it was. "Where are we anyway?" she asked.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/01/2015 7:10 PM

The stuff under her hands and feet was grass, to be sure, and it wasn't cold enough that she couldn't bear it, but it was colder than the season could have accounted for. There was a copse of trees off to their left, and the ground sloped steeply down a little ways off to the right. More tellingly, there wasn't a single building in sight.

"Oh," said Faber, "I'm... not sure. The mountains, I think. It feels pretty high." Charlie's eyes widened at that. She scrambled to her feet, hurrying to look over the edge of the drop. It wasn't steep, but it did seem to keep going... down. That by itself wasn't enough proof that it was a mountain, but she was pretty sure they were in the middle of nowhere regardless.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/01/2015 7:13 PM

"Where did you say your friend went missing again?" she asked. When Faber didn't reply, she turned around to look for him, but he had already wandered off in the direction of the trees. Great, first he talked her into taking up this wild goose chase, then he dragged them up this uninhabited mountain range, and now he was ignoring her. This trip was getting off to such a good start.

Running to catch up with him, she grabbed him by the arm. "Hey," she said. "If we're going to do this, you're going to have to tell me things. Why are we here? Where did you say your friend went missing?" If they were really looking for a missing person in the mountains, they were going to need a lot more than two kids, powers or no.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/01/2015 7:22 PM

Faber's startled expression made her back off slightly, and she let go of his arm, but she meant what she said. She didn't know what his deal was, and maybe it was just that he wasn't used to bringing people along--- the things he said certainly fostered that impression. But there would be no working with him if they didn't get some things straight first. Better to have it out now than to have it screw them over later when it really mattered.

Thankfully he wasn't upset, apparently only bemused. "I... I don't know. That's why I'm looking. I've been trying to triangulate him, but I don't have a very good read... This should be the right east-west, I think. Almost." He didn't sound terribly confident about that though.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/01/2015 7:32 PM

"Right," said Charlie, "triangulation." He had no idea where his friend was, did he? She was along for the ride now, so she wanted to help, if only to get things over with sooner, but how did she even go about doing that? "How does that work? You said you basically just hop around until you feel a tug or something, right?"

He nodded. "Sometimes it takes a while. It's not very strong until you get close, so it's tough." So... what, he really did just do a whole bunch of jumps at once and hope for the best? She felt herself getting a little queasy again just imagining it. She supposed she could try it too, using her own transport method, but there was just one little problem with that. Being that they were in a remote wilderness, there wasn't a single door to be found.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/01/2015 7:35 PM

"So, are you going to keep jumping?" she said. If that was what he had been planning, he should just have left her at home. He didn't reply, but the guilty look he gave her was enough for her to know what he was thinking. She frowned. "If you knew that people got sick when you take them with you, why did you plan it like this?"

"I didn't think you would get sick. I thought maybe it was just Akala," said Faber. Ah, right, he had said something like that just a minute ago, hadn't he? Charlie sighed again and rubbed at her face with one hand. This was going to be a long day.

They were here though, and she'd made time for them to do this, so she was loath to have that go to waste. "Here, help me gather some wood," she said, and led the way into the copse.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/09/2015 8:40 PM

"Wood? But why?" To his credit, he followed her anyway, despite not getting just yet why she wanted what she wanted. Charlie forged on ahead, scanning the ground for likely-looking sticks and such. It was, fortunately, an old enough stretch of forest that there was some fallen debris to be had. If it had been only saplings, they might have had a worse time of it. She didn't bring an axe, and she didn't think he had one either. Just something to pick up tonight, she supposed, when they went back.

"I'm going to build a door," Charlie said. "That way if I need to come back, I can. If I don't, then at least we've got a way out of this place without having to take your way. Your way kind of sucks."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/12/2015 8:02 PM

"Oh," said Faber. She was a little surprised that he didn't try to defend his particular method of getting around, but maybe two verdicts was enough to sell him on the idea that it really was terrible. Then again, maybe he just really wanted her help, and this was his way of being tactful. She grimaced; she sure hoped she wasn't being humored. She had a hard enough time putting up with that kind of thing when it came from people she respected. It had no business coming to her from Faber, of all people.

Pulling up a fallen sapling, she handed it to Faber. "Here, if you're not going to look, you can at least make yourself useful and hold this." He just barely caught it, eyes wide, but he didn't let go.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/12/2015 8:05 PM

Charlie would have to be satisfied with that. Not wanting to waste any time, she resumed her search for another sapling of similar size and width. Finding pieces of wood to form the frame would be the easy part. The hard parts would be finding material for the door itself, and making the hinges. As far as her experience went, her doors generally had to be opaque. More importantly, they had to actually open and close. She was probably already pushing things by constructing something makeshift out of parts she found on the ground in the woods. She didn't want to play around with the rules any more than she had to. Besides, a botched attempt at transporting herself wasn't something she was eager to experience by any means.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/02/2015 4:27 AM

Just getting the frame together was a real chore, considering they didn't have an axe to speak of. She had to stick two long saplings with forks near the top into the ground, and then wedge another section of wood into those forks. The structure looked flimsy, and only the fact that she had stuck them deep into the ground kept the whole thing from toppling over. She thought of trying to string enough wood together to make the door itself, and sighed a little.

"We brought rope at least, right?" she said. Faber blinked for a moment, then began to rummage through his bag. When he managed to produce a rope, Charlie sighed, this time in relief. "Good. I don't know how to braid this shit out of grass or anything, so one of us was going to have to lose a shirt if we hadn't packed this."
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/02/2015 4:31 AM

"And by one of us... you meant me, right?" Faber said. Charlie paused in her work to regard him for a moment, snorting when he hesitantly crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"Calm down. I'm not interested in seeing what you've got under the hood. Probably nothing but ribs anyway," she muttered under her breath. "I packed some spare clothes, I think. If you didn't have any extras, I probably would've used mine." Buying new clothes was a luxury sometimes, but then again, some of those shirts were close to tatters anyway. Being used for emergency rope in a wilderness survival situation wouldn't have been a bad send-off for something like that.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next