The longest range in Lambastia, the Tuun Mountains cover up much of the northwest. Unlike the harsh Fe'gan Mountains, the Tuun Mountains have varying temperatures, from very mild to slightly colder depending on where you go and which sections you explore. (+3 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tuun Mountains

To Fly the Nest [Self]

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/23/2016 4:56 AM

Life was as normal.

The air in the Canyonlands was hot, even on days when the wind howled through the crags. On a day like this, any dragon could catch the wind with little trouble, quickly soaring up and up and above the clouds, able to look down on the world with sharp eyes and an exhilaration that was like none other. Yet, today, Runeric didn't feel like flying. He lay beneath the shelter of a familiar old tree, half-dozing as he stayed leaned back against the trunk. Light filtered down from the midday sun, casting dapples across his resting form.

There was a lot to think about, lately. He'd come here to do just that, settling down in his favorite spot to look out over the valley below them and sky above. His family had not been doing as well these last several months, one very important individual particularly. His twin sister, Ebonyria, had seemed.. distant. She kept saying she was fine, but Rune knew her almost as well as he knew himself - sometimes better, he thought. She'd begun to get listless here, in this same, secluded place where they had lived for several years now. Try as she might to hide it, her lethargy was obvious, and any time not spent sleeping was spent doing barely anything at all.

He sleeps alone,
He needs no army where he's headed cause he knows
That they're just ghosts
And they can't hurt him if he can't see them
And I don't know
If in the morning I will be here and if so,
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Imp Docs ☽☾ Zoo ☽☾ Wishlist
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 90
Donate

Re: To Fly the Nest [Self]

This place had served as home ever since they'd been kids. It was not where they were born, but it was where they had spent much time growing up. Runeric had first spread his wings on this very cliff, and Ebony had found many adventures in the rivers and streams below. Their older siblings had established themselves in the nearby area, discovering what they were to do with their lives in this complicated world - but the two of them had not. Rune, at least, had an idea or two, but Ebony did not seem interested in even trying to figure it out anymore. She didn't seem interested in much of anything, really.

He was beginning to wonder if they should leave.

It wouldn't be easy, to leave just about the only place they'd ever known. Oh sure, the family had taken a trip here or there when they'd been younger, but that was a long time in the past. They rarely left now, keeping to themselves. Keeping safe. A life of solitude had its consequences, however, no matter how well-intentioned that solitude was. Perhaps it was time for him and Ebony to spread their wings again. Both of them needed to find themselves, and Rune had a very strong feeling that they would not find it here.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

The thought of trying to explain this was what troubled him the most, and not just to Ebony. Their mother was not exactly one for, er, independence. She was around them as much as possible, caring for them and loving them as any mother should, if not a smidgen too much. Convincing her that he and his sister leaving would be a good thing for everyone would be no short conversation. He found himself debating back and forth how to go about it, if it would even be worth it, if they should mention it at all or just leave one day - ugh, the thought of it all gave him such a headache. Eventually, he had simply thrust it all from his mind, leaving it to swirl around in the air around him while he let himself relax and enjoy the day, if only for a moment.

His eyes opened slowly, deep and green like his father's. He squinted as the leaves shifted, a beam of light striking perfectly into his vision, and he gave a gentle grunt as he pushed himself upwards. His hand dragged through his scruff of dark brown hair as he sighed, letting it come to rest over his pursed mouth. Most of his family thought he did too much worrying. Maybe they were right.. but someone had to do it. Might as well be him.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/26/2016 4:05 AM

"Hey."

Runeric looked up at the voice as the grass rustled and his sister settled in beside him, folding her arms around her legs and leaning her head atop them. You'd almost think she really was looking right at him, with the focus in that sightless gaze. "You've been out here all day. Mom sent me out to check on you."

"I see." It was probably only half of the reason Curios had sent Ebony out to him. As worried as he was about bringing up his proposition, he knew his mother was just as aware of the problem as he was. She'd been taking any measure to get the young woman out of the house lately, trying to force improvement in the only way she knew how. It hadn't exactly been working. He sighed again, slowly and thoughtfully. He'd been out here all day, yeah.. maybe it was time for the debating to stop. Something had to change, one way or another.

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/26/2016 4:06 AM

"Ebs?" She lifted her head a bit, acknowledging him. "I've.. I've been thinking." He ran his fingers through his hair again, each word tumbling nervously out of his mouth. "I've been thinking a lot, actually. I don't.. I don't think we're happy here, are we?" Ebony was quiet. For a moment she didn't respond, her brow creasing just slightly as a frown formed on her face. Runeric didn't push her for an answer. He simply leaning back against the trunk of the gnarled old tree, and waited. Eventually, it came.

"... I don't know." Her voice soft was soft as she finally spoke, her eye closing. "We used to be, didn't we? We grew up here. It's home, right?" Her fingers twisted in the ends of her hair, the same nervous habit as her brother. "..I'm not really sure what home's supposed to feel like. I think I knew when I was younger." Her hand stretched out, the breeze gently pushing against it. "But I knew what I was back then, too. I don't even know that much, anymore." Her hand dropped, slumping back like the rest of her body. "I'm not much help, am I..?"

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/26/2016 4:35 AM

"Nonsense. You're plenty," Rune assured her, reaching out and giving her arm a gentle squeeze. "Don't forget it." She smiled back at him, a tiny thing that barely seemed real, but it was something. He nodded, another small assurance, before continuing. "So, I was thinking, then.. maybe it's time we got out on our own, yeah?" Her smile faltered slightly, but it didn't vanish completely. She sat up a little bit, mouth adjusting itself as she tried to find the right words.

"Where?" It wasn't much, but she finally managed it. He'd take it.

"Atlas." She sat up completely at that, eye widening as she focused on him. "It's far, I know, but I've heard stories. All sorts of people go there. They say you can find a little bit of everything there, and, well. We don't really know what we're looking for, but I bet we'll find it there." His hands were moving in front of him, as if they'd help him explain what he meant. It wasn't really doing much. "We could blend in there. Not like here, though - like.. like humans." He sighed, shaking his head. "I know we've always lived like dragons, but-"

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..
Skeetzybug
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Skeetzybug » 01/27/2016 5:44 AM

"We have," Ebony interrupted. There was something different about her voice now, as if a light had been sparked. "Maybe that's the problem." Now it was his turn to be confused. He tilted his head at her, and as if she could see it herself, she continued. "We're half and half, but maybe we're trying to live like the wrong half."

"I don't.. really know if it works that way.." Rune said slowly. "I mean, I don't want to- I'm just saying-"

"Have a little faith, Rune," she said, reaching out and setting a gentle hand on his arm. "You spend so much time worrying about what can go wrong. Try thinking about what can go right." She smiled at him, a weak little thing, but it still gave Rune some relief. There was some of the old Ebony in there again, shining through. He hoped it would stay. "I know I haven't been myself lately," she admitted. "But I mean this. This feels right, Runeric." She took in a deep breath, the canyon air blowing through both of them as the sun traveled across the sky. Things were in motion, now, and all of a sudden, it made everything feel more alive. Even them.

"Let's go to Atlas."

He sleeps alone,
That they're just ghosts
And I don't know
Let it be known
That I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was worthy,
I was..