The longest range in Lambastia, the Tuun Mountains cover up much of the northwest. Unlike the harsh Fe'gan Mountains, the Tuun Mountains have varying temperatures, from very mild to slightly colder depending on where you go and which sections you explore. (+3 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tuun Mountains

Into the Outlet (self) [F, possibly]

Postby Pompom » 05/30/2016 2:19 AM

It was a quiet afternoon in Quince Lake. Khalfin was bored. Normally on a day this warm, all sorts of creatures would be playing in the lake, but today the land-beasts were all off at some ceremony in the clock dome. The only company he had was Shapiru, who was plunking out some slow atonal music from a cluster of reeds nearby. If you could call it music, Khalfin thought sourly. He decided to put a stop to it.

"Hey, Sappy!" he burbled. "Does that random twanging mean you're bored?
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 200
Donate

Re: Into the Outlet (self)

Postby Pompom » 05/30/2016 2:26 AM

Shapiru broke off with an indignant snort that sounded like a wire snapping. "It's not random. It is a series ordered by precise mathematical rules." He had gotten so used to the nickname "Sappy" by now that he had given up on correcting Khalfin on that subject. However, the trumpetter never tired of explaining music to anyone. "The wonderful thing about this series it that it never comes to an end. That means I can sing it for as long as I want."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 05/30/2016 2:29 AM

Khalfin rolled his eyes sarcastically. "That sounds just fantastic. Hey, Ive got an idea! Let's go explore the outlet. I want to see what's down there."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 05/30/2016 2:35 AM

"The outlet?" Shapiru shuddered with the sound of a bowed vibrato. "You mean that place where, if you're not careful, you could be sucked under a big flat stone and never seen again?" Lowering his voice dramatically, he continued: "I went near there once. What a harrowing ordeal! I was fortunate enough to find a floating branch to hold; otherwise, I would be forever lost."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 05/30/2016 2:42 AM

"Ah, come on! The current's not that strong. And besides, even if we do get lost, I'm sure we could put our heads together and figure out how to get back. For example,"--he grabbed a floating twig with one of his head-tentacles--"we could find one of those floating branches and put it inside the hole so we could climb it to get back up." He mimed climbing the twig with two other tentacles.
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 05/30/2016 2:46 AM

Shapiru's head fins twitched, as if he were mildly impressed, or possibly amused. "Ah, an impromptu ladder seems just the thing. But we should put the branch in from the top, since we don't know where we might find one below." He made a brief bowing sound to clear his throat. "This is all hypothetical, of course."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 05/30/2016 2:52 AM

"Hypothetical nothing! We're going!" Kalfin moved closer. "I can tickle you until you say yes." He grinned. "I've never heard you laugh before, so I'm going to try it. Let's see...where should I tickle first? Neck? Ribs? Tail? Or maybe"--there was a fiendish glint in his eyes now--"those fins on your head. Yes, I'll start there."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 05/30/2016 2:59 AM

"No! Keep your feelers off my fins!" Shapiru recoiled, unwinding his tail from the reed he had been using to steady himself. He fluttered away at his top speed, which was really quite slow. Khalfin followed with deliberate slowness, wriggling his forward paws and elbow tentacles inches from the trumpetter's fins, laughing maniacally.
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Into the Outlet (self) [F, possibly]

Postby Pompom » 06/01/2016 1:12 AM

The two zigzagged wildly across the lake, until Shapiru suddenly turned at bay, flicking Khalfin's nose with his tail. "Stop! Stop this foolishness at once! Do you honestly think you can deceive me into fleeing headlong into the maelstrom?"

"Well, it was worth a try," replied Khalfin sheepishly, rubbing his nose with a paw. "We got pretty close, didn't we? I can almost feel the current from here."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 06/02/2016 1:37 AM

"I will not be bullied into doing something I know is foolish!" snapped the trumpetter. "You can go if you find dark drains of doom so fascinating!"

"Ok, fine," replied Khalfin sadly. "I can go by myself. It won't be as fun, though." As he swam past Shapiru, he suddenly felt a tail wrap around his tail-tentacle and yank on it. "What now, Sappy?"

"I didn't mean you should go unequipped, numbskull!" replied Shapiru, looking concerned now. "At least before you go, you should pack food and an illumipod."

"What a good idea!" replied Khalfin, brightening. "See, Sappy, that's why I need you to come with me. You're smart and you think of things I don't."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 06/06/2016 7:57 PM

Shapiru looked taken aback, then relaxed slightly. "I suppose you are going to need looking after. I'm not certain that I am fit for that task, but I will at least help you pack." He released Khalfin's tail and the two swam over to their shared storage grotto.

Khalfin picked up a rucksack made of sea kelp and began stuffing it with preserved kippers as the trumpetter rummaged through a wicker box. With a major arpeggio, Shapiru triumphantly lifted up a mesh bag full of round white things that looked rather like small lizard eggs. "I found my illumipods! Here, have four or five."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 06/25/2016 12:49 PM

Khalfin picked up one of the pods and squeezed it curiously. There was a cracking noise and the pod began to glow green. "Oh, did I just activate it? Whoops."

Shapiru sighed. "Yes, you did. It can't be used more than once, so that one is useless. I really do need to keep an eye on you, don't I?"

"It's not useless if we need light before it's done glowing," Khalfin argued. "How long does the glow last?"

"About an hour, but--Hey! Let go!" Shapiru jerked the mesh bag back from Khal's tentacles. "I've decided to take charge of these. Someone as impulsive as you are is bound to waste them."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 07/13/2016 12:11 AM

"So you are coming with me! Let's go, then. I've packed enough food to feed both of us for a few days." Khalfin locked tails with Shapiru and tugged him out of the grotto.

"Wait!" sputtered his friend. "I need to pack my salt capsules first."

"You mean these?" asked Khalfin, pulling a box made of seashells out of his pack with a flourish.

"Why you..." plinked the trumpetter indignantly, then thought better of what he was about to say. "Are so thoughtful, aren't you? Very well, let's get that ladder."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Pompom » 07/27/2016 12:43 AM

Khalfin looked around, curling his head-feelers forward to shade his eyes. "I don't see...Oh! There's a stick in the mud."

"Where?" asked Shapiru anxiously, swiveling from side to side.

"Right there!" burbled Khalfin, turning and pointing a paw at the trumpetter.

Shapiru groaned like a badly bowed bass viol. "I should have seen that coming. Ah! I see something floating over to the left-my left, not yours-and it looks like a small log that we could use."
Pompom
Novice Pet Trainer
Novice Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate