The longest range in Lambastia, the Tuun Mountains cover up much of the northwest. Unlike the harsh Fe'gan Mountains, the Tuun Mountains have varying temperatures, from very mild to slightly colder depending on where you go and which sections you explore. (+3 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tuun Mountains

Strange New World [Self]

Postby SkyWolf11 » 03/28/2017 7:09 PM

It was all such a blur.  A simple scouting mission turned to a life or death chase, then suddenly ... white.  The scenario played on loop in her mind until a familiar brisk  bite in the cold air brought the creature back to her senses.  Her eyes fluttered open slowly.  For a moment, she didn't stir at all, laying still in the snow as her eyes tried to focus.  A stronger gust made the young female reflexively bury her face into the snow and body tense as it curled into itself.  

What exactly had happened?  She gave a prompt shake, bringing her self up onto her knees.  The wind did little to help her focus on her surroundings.  Eyes squinting, she looked around for any familiar landmark or marked path that would tell her where she'd ended up.  But it was to no avail.  The chill rushed up her spine, making her hiss as her four arms clasped over her torso defensively, one quickly redirecting to her temple as a sharp pain coursed through her head.  How long had she been passed out in the snow?  Had she hit her head that hard that nothing looked familiar?  Or was it really unfamiliar territory?  Or even ... perhaps ... was she dead?  After all, if her pursuers had managed to catch her, it was unlikely she'd of been spared for trespassing.  It was against the territory pact.  

As her mind raced with all these thoughts, she climbed to her feet.  Wobbling with each step, she found shelter from the cold in a nearby tree-line.  At least there didn't seem to be anyone after her anymore.  It took a few minutes to dig out a small area under a tree as her muscles were stiff from the cold but eventually she was able to snuggle up out of the wind.  
SkyWolf11
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 680
Donate
Location: Trying to integrate back into Evelonian society :,U

Re: Strange New World [Self]

Postby SkyWolf11 » 03/28/2017 7:34 PM

Now that she had time to think to herself, the female tried to recall what had happened before the flash of white.  She let out a small growl like groan as her head throbbed dully at the strain.  The mission was to scout out the migrating herds of prey.  The colder days were coming and the food was moving out of the area in larger numbers than they had predicted.  Food was becoming scarce so the older ones had given her a simple task - track the herds paths and report back on their trails so they could move the group accordingly.  

Eyes that had been closed while she thought back slowly opened in an angry furrow.  Then she'd found the stripped carcass of one of the creatures, along with incriminating evidence of foul play from a rival group.  She shook her head, upset that she hadn't gone back and reported the findings to her own group at that point.  It had been a foolhardy decision to investigate further.  At some point, without realizing it, she had tracked the scent of the fresh kill into a neighboring clan's territory.  A high offense, especially in the colder days coming when food was in high demand and short supply.  Families were stocking up and preparing for new kits to be born in the following months.  Looking back on it all now, what followed was of no surprise.  She'd been quickly spotted by the rival's own scouts patrolling the borders.  There wasn't even a chance to interrogate or explain why she'd broken pact and entered land without formally asking an audience.  

The female let her head fall back onto the trunk of the tree slowly with a soft sigh, horns scrapping against the bark as it hit.  Recalling the feverish chase that soon followed that was cut abrupt by that white fog made it all the more frustrating.  Unable to comprehend what had happened that had led to her being unconscious in the snow.  And the pursuers suddenly gone.  She threw her gaze out into the snow once more, a feeling of unease washed over her.  None of this made sense.  Something just wasn't right here.
SkyWolf11
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SkyWolf11 » 03/28/2017 7:48 PM

In the time it'd taken her to gather up her thoughts, her body had regained most of it's feeling back.  Even her muscles were beginning to limber back up despite the cold weather.  Chalk it up to her being built for the cold and her younger status, her body was more durable than most she supposed.  But it was also her inexperience that came with being young that got her into this mess in the first place...  Storm or not, she had to get back to her group!  Both for safety and to deliver the news of the poaching on their land.  

A nice long stretch and a soft massage of her arms and legs was enough to get her moving again.  The first step into the snow surprised the female greatly as she nearly lost balance and staggered forward.  It was much deeper than she'd anticipated.  Much deeper than it usually got around their lands actually.  It was quite odd...  Oh dear, was this a bad omen of a harsher weather to come?  That certainly wouldn't help with moving camps after the migrating herds.  To better center herself, she fell onto all six and hopped forward to get better traction on the snow.  This way, with her weight more evenly spread, she didn't quick sink as much as before.

She sniffed the air briefly for any inkling of familiar direction.  However, nothing was picking up on the air.  Just the scent of cold snow and the faint aroma of the surrounding forest's trees.  Taking a leap of faith, she opted for the clearer path that was leading south.  Maybe if she tracked in a straight line long enough, she could find something that would turn her in the right direction.  
SkyWolf11
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SkyWolf11 » 03/28/2017 8:07 PM

It had been well over a half hour and still there was nothing that was striking her as familiar.  All she'd come across was more trees and few easily frightened woodland creatures that she was too slow to catch.  A few brief breaks were becoming longer breathing sessions as she felt her stomach growl hungrily.  That's right... she hadn't eaten for what she could only account for was about half a day now.  If all had worked out and she'd followed her task without interference, she'd of made it back home in time for the hunters to have brought back food for the clan.  Her ears fell in dismay.  

A sudden crack from high up in a tree made her spin, eyes wide.  A toothy grin spread across her maw as a little furry creature fell into her sights.  It was all she could do to not scramble up the tree after it but, somehow, she held her composure.  Immediately, she sunk low to the ground, eyes locked on her prey.  It had froze momentarily but quickly went back to scaling the branches effortlessly, it's bushy tail whipping erratically.  It was like it was taunting her.  Her muscles twitched as she hesitated before sneaking close the the tree's base.  Another pause, small stub of a tail flicking lightly.  Quietly as she could, she began to ascend.  This was where her kind excelled.  Those six limbs, equip with strong muscles and retractable claws made scaling trees easy.  

A few minutes of cat and mouse continued.  This small bushy tailed creature taunted her, jumping from branch to branch, falling closer to her, then suddenly rocketing off to the top out of her reach.  It was just enough teasing to make her too jumpy.  Too soon she leap for the thing, only for it to fling itself off the tree and far off into another's branches, disappearing as quick as it had come.  So much disappointment.  The female let out an aggravated noise, one that could only be described as a mix between a cat's meow and a bird's chirp.  She stayed splayed out among the branches, looking around for any other small edibles before throwing in the towel.  Carefully, she backtracked down the tree but not before an unusual scent caught her nose.
SkyWolf11
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SkyWolf11 » 03/28/2017 8:47 PM

In the tree, the scent seemed fairly strong though it was not a smell that the young one could place.  Was it another woodland creature?  Perhaps if it was, maybe this one would be easier to catch.  Hunger was driving her far more than caution or common sense was at this point.  Too impatient in the chance that she'd lose the scent, she fell onto the hard crust of the snow with a loud crunch before bounding off after the trail.  It was only by a stroke of luck that she was downwind of whatever it was, the wind carrying the scent stronger and stronger as she closed in.

In the distance, there it was!  It was ... well, something!  Instinct had done well to take over, making the female take cautionary measures as she crept closer with curiosity.  When she'd gotten a good look at it's size, which was close to her own if not larger, she thought it best to get the higher ground.  Carefully she perched midway in a pine tree, peering out intently from behind the needles.
It was a large thing it was!  Actually, it wasn't too terribly unlike another creature she'd seen once before.  That one was quite larger than this one and it'd been rather docile.  Though when they'd tried hunting it actively, it'd proven to be a brute of a thing.  Far too much trouble to go for.  

However...  Her eyes watched curiously as it seemed to be occupied doing something at the base of another tree.  Her ears homed in as she picked up the faint distress cries of some creature.  As the creature turned around, it seemed to hold a freshly dispatched prey item in it's jaws.  That certainly got her interested and all too quickly did her stomach do good to remind her with another growl.  A mid arm wrapped around her belly to silence it though her eyes never left the creature before her.  Slowly it sauntered off further from her until it vanished over a snow bank.  She waited a few seconds, making  sure it was all clear before she quickly left her perch to investigate.  

The smell of the fresh blood was enough to make her drool in anticipation.  A smarter scout would of prioritized finding a way back to her clan but this one had never been particularly good at doing the smart thing.  She was lost and she was hungry and this could be her only chance as a quick snack.  It was too good to pass up.  She sniffed the ground where the creature had stood, noticing that it's tracks were alone.  It could be stronger yes, but if it were alone, she was sure she could manage to fight it off long enough to grab the food and bolt.  
SkyWolf11
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SkyWolf11 » 03/31/2017 11:43 AM

Aside from the occasional howl of the wind outside, the silence in the cabin was relaxing.  The flames danced quietly in the fireplace with the scratch and scrapes of Marco's pencil across paper.  The man was lost to his work, only stopping briefly as the wind made the wood of the cabin creak and whine softly.  He glanced out the window, watching the snow drift along the windowsill, then returned to his writing.

'It's been quite the ... interesting trip so far, for lack of a better word.  I thought I had better prepared myself for the cold so far up the mountains but I suppose my body's just so acclimated to the weather back home in Baian.'  Marco chuckled to himself.  That was certainly true.  Even now, inside with a fire blazing, here he was in layers upon layers of clothes on the couch with a large quilt wrapped around his shoulders.  'But I figured it was important to visit old friends.  Sometimes I worry about that man.  Living up here all alone with no phone.  If I don't check on him now and then, then I guess no one would.  I wish he'd ge-'

Marco jumped with a yell as the door blasted open with a loud bang.  The sudden burst of cold air that followed sent a chill down his spine and made the fire flicker heavily.  "Good gods man!  Close that damn door!"  He ducked under the quilt as the Tundragoon sauntered in, rabbit in maw.  
SkyWolf11
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SkyWolf11 » 03/31/2017 12:13 PM

The Tundragoon took his time, standing in the door way and stomping the snow from his claws before finally closing the door.  He looked over to the bundled man and rolled his eyes with a muffled laugh.  He made his way to the open kitchen, dropping the rabbit onto the kitchen counter with a dull plop.  "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were from out of town.", he joked.  Clearly, being what he was and living where he did for as long as he had, Ezul himself was resistant to the cold.  His claws ticked rhythmically over the wood floorboards as he walked through the house.

Marco poked out from under his cover and laid eyes on the 'food' his friend had brought back.  Face twisted in disgust at the barbaric display.  "So unsanitary..."  

A scoff from the washroom followed shortly after.  "Well I can't exactly run a five-star restaurant way up here in the wilderness."  

Marco pulled his eyes from the carcass and turned back to watch the fire, taking up his pencil and paper again where he left off.  "You know, if you moved back-"

"Are you still going on about that?", Ezul interrupted with a groan.  Marco stayed focused on his paper but listened as the clicks of claws on wood quickly shifted into footsteps as his friend reentered the kitchen, no longer in his natural form.  "I'm just saying it'd make visiting you all the more easier.  Not to mention, more ... food variety as well."  Ezul, who had a rag and was wiping the blood and stray hairs from his mouth now, shot the man a tired look.  "You've been here for a week now and I feel that's the only thing we've talked about."  

"I know I know, sorry.", he apologized, feeling a tinge of guilt for bringing it up so much.  He was sure Ezul knew it was only out of concern and care but, likewise, he could feel the overbearing nature of the insinuation.  Hopefully, Ezul was just over exaggerating otherwise he'd feel even more horrid for having brought it up so much.  That really wasn't his intent for coming.  There was still another week left before he had to return home so he'd do his best to make the experience more about his friend's well being instead of his own wants.

SkyWolf11
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SkyWolf11 » 03/31/2017 12:33 PM

Ezul could clean up nicely when out of his Tundragoon form.  It'd been a pleasant change from the norm, having a guest.  While he'd made large strides in being more 'civilized' since company was staying with him, the raw lifestyle was still in bedded in him.  It was understandable if other's thought it too barbaric but it was life out here.  Hunting for one's own food was essential and unfiltered.  Even still, seeing if for a week now didn't seem to make Marco anymore comfortable with it.  Ezul felt a little bad but found it funny at the same time, especially considering what they'd been through in their younger days together.  But that was another story.  Now it was time for lunch.

He took up the rabbit and placed it in the sink.  Luckily, it had bled out nearly completely on the way back home so that was a plus.  He grabbed a knife and began the preparation.  Normally it'd be done outside in a more professional manner, or more so should of been done at the catch site.  But they'd both been starving and, honestly, Ezul was just feeling a bit too lazy to go through all of that right now.  Had he known of his friend coming a head of time, he might of had more time to prepare and stock his freezers up.  Three days had already been squandered when he made a frantic trip to the nearest town for produce and supplies for two.

In no time at all, he had the bones cleaned and meat cut and in the frying pan.  The left over un-edibles were tossed into a small chute from under the sink that lead to an outside bucket for tossing later.  It made easier for discarding recyclable trash without having to lose heat by opening the door over and over or stinking up the house.  As the meat started sizzling, he began chopping up a few carrots and potatoes, glancing over his shoulder at his preoccupied friend.  "Even years after it all you're still constantly writing, huh?"  

SkyWolf11
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SkyWolf11 » 03/31/2017 12:51 PM

Marco snorted, turning the page and continuing his scribbles.  "I dare say if I didn't I'd go mad sometimes.  You should try it sometimes, Ezul, I bet you'd like it.  It's quite therapeutic to jot down ideas and thoughts."  

Ezul emptied the vegetable sliced into the pan with some oil to fry with the meat, turning it to a low simmer so he could come join his friend on the couch.  "I think the writing has made you madder than ever before.", he joked, smiling, "I moved up here so my mind wouldn't be so full of things I'd need to catalog.  This seclusion is my therapy."

"To each their own I suppose."  Marco rested his pencil on the paper, glancing at his friend who was watching him with a bored expression.  Oh dear, there he went again, looking apathetic towards his friend's company.  How rude of him.  Fingers twitched but hesitantly laid the pencil down and closed the book, turning his full attention to the other man with a soft smile.  "Ah but anyways, enough about my silly habits.  How has your life been?  I mean, aside from moving up here and all that ruckus.  Meet anyone interesting?  Done anything exciting?"

The questions were met with an amused yet questioning look.  "Meet someone up here?  You say that as if people just walk around in the wilds and come out of the trees for a fine howdy do!"  He let out a bellowing laugh.  Marco folded his arms with a shake of his head at the humor.  "Gods no, you know what I meant you fool!  I didn't mean exactly in this area.  The towns further down the mountain sides!  Like the one you just went to a few days ago for supplies!  Surely you've become acquainted with someone after being up here so long."

SkyWolf11
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SkyWolf11 » 03/31/2017 1:11 PM

It had been by some miracle that the female had not been spotted by the creature.  In her reckless state, she'd made no effort to stay conscious of wind direction or staying quiet.  There were times she'd stumbled over falling twigs that cracked and snapped as well as running out of tree cover.  Luckily, it appeared the thing she was tracked had been equally distracted, never once checking their surroundings for threats.  Instead, it had bee lined straight for a large structure after a long hike from the kill site.  This had been enough of a deterrent of her planned ambush of the thing.

She opted instead for watching and waiting, taking refuge once more in the limbs of a healthy pine tree far from the cabin.  Was that where it lived?  Was there more than one of those things in there?  As good as her hearing and smell were, the wind did the job of keeping her in the dark on those questions.  Still she hungered for food.  So still, she'd try her luck.  It still wasn't even clear to her if this was a new region she'd never been in before or what exactly was going on.  Even the creatures she'd seen so far had either small or no resemblance to any she'd ever seen before.  It proved difficult to hunt things that she wasn't sure of their their own abilities or mannerisms.  But clearly the dragon thing she'd followed was skilled enough to catch food.  Even if stealing it's food was out of the reach of possibilities, then at the very least maybe she could observe how it hunted.  

One track mind.  She wanted food so she was going to get food.  Much of anything else was of little importance until that need was met.  Patiently she waited.  And waited.  And waited still.  Ears only perking ever once in a while when she'd catch a glimpse of something moving from inside the structure through a hole in the wall (window, though she had no knowledge of glass or it's purpose).  Then, suddenly, a movement from the side of the cabin made her jostle against the tree anxiously.  Something had came under the hole and into something on the ground.  More so... that smell of blood was undeniable ... and intoxicating.  It tempted her to investigate.

SkyWolf11
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate