With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Carrion Bird [self] [L]

Postby Adelie » 10/06/2017 5:20 AM

'Well,' Thibet said to the raven. 'We're here.'

They were an odd pair, the two of them - a pale girl with ice-blue hair, a black-feathered bird perched silently on her shoulder. Not that either would've looked at home in the vast desert alone; despite her best efforts, she was turning lobster-red rapidly, and the bird was fluffed but listless.

She hadn't intended to come to the desert - not at first. But there had been so many rumors she'd heard, so many stories, so many legends whispered breathlessly over a campfire at night, traded like rare jewels over a glass of po cha in a smoky tent. She liked to say she couldn't resist a good adventure; she liked to prove herself right.
and if you ask how i regret that parting:
it is like the flowers falling at spring's end
confused, whirled in a tangle.

what is the use of talking, and there is no end of talking,
there is no end of things in the heart.

ezra pound, exile's letter
zoo pen | journal | wishlist
Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2255
Donate

Re: Carrion Bird [self] [L]

Postby Adelie » 10/19/2017 9:41 PM

They were not alone in the desert, of course. In this day and age, with thousands of years of recorded history behind them, it would be silly to presume to be the first to ever step foot in a place, no matter how desolate or god-forsaken it might seem. There was an argument to be made that perhaps she was the first on this particular sand dune, ever-shifting as they might be - but even that seemed flimsy considering there was a small transient village at its base, a cluster of white tents nestled in the scorching sand.

'Isn't it beautiful?' she observed to the raven. 'The wild and unexplored - that's where I know I've always belonged.'

The raven did not respond; it never had. If it were silently judging her, she wasn't one to notice.

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/31/2017 4:21 AM

Even though it was still hopelessly hot and unsuited to physical exertion, Thibet scampered down the dunes towards civilization below. Maybe it was her excitement at the journey ahead of her; maybe it was just her trying to keep her balance in the loose sand - regardless, she made it to the bottom a little red-faced but otherwise unscathed.

With a squawk, the crow followed - much easier to make it down if you didn't have to walk.

Looking at the tent city, she was briefly speechless - it was much larger in person than she'd expected from her top-down glance at it, bustling with activity as caravan drivers traded goods and rested or switched out their animals. An impressive-looking woman in a long white robe caught her eye and walked towards her, and Thibet quickly recovered her powers of speech. 'Hello!' she called. She was unsure if they understood her, but she continued anyways, punctuating her words with gestures to make herself clear. 'I'm Thibet, I'm a traveler here.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/31/2017 4:33 AM

The impressive-looking woman towered over Thibet menacingly, but her face was welcoming and friendly; her teeth showed as she smiled. 'Welcome, traveler,' she said. Her words were accented, but it was more lilting, more musical than unclear. 'You must have traveled a long way.'

She smiled inwardly at this - here, her ice-blue hair and pale features were always something remarkable, something exotic; she could get used to this kind of attention. 'Yes,' she said, being intentionally vague. It wouldn't do to share too much information right away; others should have to ask for it.

The woman did not pry - or at least, not in the way Thibet wanted. 'What brought you here?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/31/2017 4:48 AM

'I'm looking to go deeper into the desert,' she said. Once again, she was being intentionally vague, but this time, she was hoping the woman would not inquire further. What she was looking for was allegedly sacred to the natives here, or at least held in some kind of respect; she doubted they would take too kindly to her nosing around.

What did they know, though? Compared to her research on the subject, they probably only knew scraps, myths, rumors. Nothing worthy.

She wondered suddenly if this kind of greeting was something the natives did to everyone, or if it were just a one-off thing - that she had just caught the eye of a friendly resident. 'Do you get visitors from outside often?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/31/2017 5:11 AM

'Hm,' the woman hummed thoughtfully. 'Depends on what you mean by outside.' Thibet waited patiently for a more in-depth answer, but it was a while in coming.

'We're an - ah, a trading post,' she said, struggling briefly for words. 'Or not really one, I suppose. We're one of the last stops for those looking to cross the desert. So we get a lot of merchants and traders, but not a lot of visitors like you.'

'Ah,' Thibet said blandly - she was secretly amused at the prospect of being unusual, but she would try her best to not show it. 'I'm looking to cross the desert as well, actually. Do you know someone I could talk to for that?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/31/2017 5:26 AM

'Hm,' she hummed, once again. 'That's not a common request.' No way. 'You might be able to talk to one of the trade caravans, though.'

'Well, it's a little more complicated,' Thibet said; she didn't want to give up too many details, but this was important. 'I'm looking to go deep into the desert - I'd need a trade caravan that'll take me straight through, instead of skirting around the edges.'

To her surprise, the woman didn't question that. 'There's a few who'll risk it,' she mused. 'There's a few who do that and come through here, but I'm not sure if they're here right now - or if they'll take on passengers.' She laughed, a hearty sound. 'The ones who go through the desert are a little - ah, how do you say it? Cuckoo. Very particular folks, those ones.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/31/2017 5:44 AM

'Can you check for me?' she asked.

'Yes,' the woman said. Gesturing, she added, 'Come with me.'

She hadn't really intended to do so, but she found herself following the woman through the swarm of tents, looking side-to-side, wide-eyed. It had only looked like a cluster of tents from a distance, but up close it was almost a maze - white tent flaps arranged haphazardly, brightly-dyed or intricately woven fabrics displayed like rare paintings. They walked down several thin alleyways - during which a few children gawked awkwardly at Thibet's unusual appearances, and one woman tried to sell her some kind of woven handicraft - before the tents opened out into a large plaza.

There were more tents - storefronts, perhaps? - lining the plaza and hawkers in vibrant robes walked around, attempting to pawn off some of their wares from one merchant to another.

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/31/2017 5:49 AM

One hawker nearly elbowed Thibet out of the way - she was about to say something in return when the woman she was following pulled him over, instead, speaking in some dialect she was unfamiliar with. She could pick out a few words, but not enough to understand the conversation or even to figure out what language they were speaking - a pidgin, perhaps? Or just an accent too strong for her to decipher?

She waited patiently.

Noticing her once again, the woman smiled and said, 'Oh, this is a friend of mine. He works with some of the caravans here. He should be able to direct you to what you're looking for.'

The man nodded and smiled brightly, holding out his hand awkwardly. 'My name is Alza,' he said - his accent was thicker than the other woman's, but still understandable. 'I hear you're looking for passage through the desert?'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Adelie » 10/31/2017 5:55 AM

'Not just passage through the desert,' she said, a little self-importantly. 'I'm looking to go straight through the middle.'

'Ah, an adventurous one, aren't you?' he said, flashing that smile again. Thibet decided she didn't like him; he had a sense of cheer that bothered her. 'I know exactly who you're looking for, though. Come with me.'

That was the second time she'd heard 'come with me' today - it was starting to get a little old. But, obediently, she bid goodbye to the helpful woman and followed this new man as he led her towards a small caravan off to the side of the plaza.

'This is the caravan I work with,' the man said. 'We're leaving tomorrow. We don't usually take passengers, but I'm sure we could make an exception for a pretty girl like you.'

Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items