With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

In the City of Ver'Sol. [P, Millie and I]

Postby Mousen » 09/06/2010 6:55 PM

It could have been a mirage. The way the city glistened just on the Horizon; the way the lush green of the palm trees could be seen from a fair distance away. The spotless white of the city walls a it curled around the oasis, as if daring the desert to try and touch it. The place seemed like heaven in the vicious heat of the desert.

The sun was raised high, beating down relentlessly upon anything foolhardy enough to be out on the orange sand. The heat; it was indescribable. It was a sheer, burning solid heat that penetrated through the coolest of things. It was a barren waste land, save for the glimmering city; the only thing that wasn't part of the sweeping sand dunes were several bones; sticking up from the bottom of a pit; yellowed with age, a few fragments of long-gone clothing clung to them. It was a depressing sight.

Though one dessert traveller was seemingly uncaring;  he made his was through the desert on the back of a Rathil. It's feet hitting the hot sand at a steady pace. Clearly it had been travelling for a long while. Sweat dripped down it's flanks and it's mane clung wetly to the back of it's neck. Beads of perspiration also covered the riders scarred face. A deep gash lay across his nose and down the side of his face, disfiguring it slightly. Many would call him 'horrific' if not only for the scar that tainted his face. Perhaps Taurmynt was a handsome man, beneath it all. His olive tone skin and ebony hair underling that fact. Though his eyes seemed dead; as if all life had been sucked from them, all emotion gone. There wasn't even a glimmer of something more in his eyes. They focused only on the city. Not the expanse of sand, nor the tiring beast before him.

Taurmynt didn't want to have to stop before he got there. Though; he was sure if he pushed the beast any further; he'd be on foot. "Xinechmicti." He cursed; the sarcasm evident, even if the meaning wasn't. With an irritated sigh he slowed the creature down. Letting walk at a slower pace. The rathil gave him one terrified look before continuing at a snails pace; if this was how the animal was going to walk, he's be nothing but vulture scraps by the time they reached Ver'sol. Taurmynt reached behind him; his long fingers curling around the weapon. Lacking emotion as he did so; he gave the beast a sharp prod. Despite it's tiredness it moved on quicker than before. It feared Taurmynt, as such there wasn't much chance of his command being disobeyed; despite how tired it was.

The city was a bustling mess of both the very rich, and the desperately poor. The main part of the city was lavish; fountains spurting crystal clear water; the grand Sobremesa Hotel; perfect white and stunning gold; that was what you came to see when you visited the city. The upmarket Bazaars were full of expensive trinkets and exotic pets. While the shadier areas were riddled with thieves; strange witch doctors and fake historical artefacts. While one part of the city flourished in a swirl of rich merchants, exotic personalities and bright lights; the other suffered with broken down houses, filthy water and barely enough food to feed a nemuwit. Let alone a person.

Taurmynt was used to both the city, and it's ways. He almost knew the city better than his profession; his profession being that of a hired killer. The money was good; though Taurmynt didn't ever need a motive to end something's life. Perhaps that was why he was so dangerous. Many people described him as psychotic . Though psychopathy usually had some emotion behind it; here there was none. Again; it probably made him even more dangerous; no guilt, no anger, no fear. Well, the little emotion he did have wasn't shown often, or easily. Most of the people who he had shown emotion to were buried deep in the Wilt'no dessert.

The long suffering Riopath was tried up just inside the city; he probably would never see it again. The thieves
around here didn't hang about; they would waste no time in making sure the animal was theirs. Surprisingly there were several cheesy 'wanted' posters around. Each with an artists interpretation of what Taurmynt looked like, from eye witness statements. Though; as he'd noted the population of Ver'sol's opinion of him generally labelled him as some sort of crazy hard case. Intent on killing them all. This had shown itself in the eye witness accounts; that, and the artist seemed to be someone who'd only just learned to hold a pencil. That or they'd never seen a human face before. His head was decidedly square, his nose seemed to be overly large and crooked; his eyes too were terrible; they were very small and squinty, much unlike the real Taurmynt; strangely the drawings eyes faces in slightly different directions and his mouth was down turned in an angry snarl. It looked like the under payed and slightly naive police force of Ver'sol had finally changed their tactics. Perhaps they'd realized that sending officer after officer and having none of those return was not quite the best plan they'd ever had.

Even if a brave member of the public had seen the poster he or she would have to look twice before realizing it was him. The only thing similar was the huge, somewhat horrific scar that was so distinctive of himself. Taurmynt sighed inwardly, heading down the mains street in Ver'sol, still no-one batted an eyelid. For a moment he had the childish impulse to stand next to the poster and actually see how long it took people to notice, he resisted the impulse with a small smile. He just kept walking, his walk was much slower than most, as he had a heavy limp on his left side.

Taurmynt couldn't help but take in the beauty of the main square for a moment. Even for someone such as himself it was a sight to behold. A huge golden coloured fountain sprayed jets of water high in the air; it was beautiful though it didn't quite meet the reality of Lamenolai's famous fountain. Around the base, a huge blue mosaic curled, displaying the city and dessert. In the background the Sobremesa Hotel stood to it's full glory. Floors upon floors the amazing place was like a palace fit for a king of the grandest kind. Stalls clustered around, brining a full spectrum of colour to the place, their bright merchandise trying to stand out above the neighbouring stall's

Deciding against food poisoning, Taurmynt tossed a small pouch of keystones at the freighted woman who ran the stall. She nodded frantically and handed him a small parcel of spiced dates. He did have some business to attend to here. Buisness that shouldn't wait; no matter how hungry he was. With yet another silent inward sigh Taurmynt headed past the crowing jewel of  Ver'sol as he headed toward the darker area of the city. Where there were more thieves than honest folk and water was more dangerous than the snakes.

(Human form. Incase it wasn't obvious. xD)

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: In the City of Ver'Sol. [P, Millie and I]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/06/2010 7:30 PM

(Human Form)

“Oh goodness, Blake, don’t be such a worrywart.”

The towering man beside the small, petite woman painted a picture of absolute extremes in the scalding desert heat. With thin, shimmering silk wrapped around her head to shield her from the sun, and her body swathed in cool, white cloth, the woman looked like anyone's vision of a desert jewel. Her high brows and her proud shoulders, and large, almond shaped eyes hinted at a spectacular breeding and upbringing, one that was emphasized by the fact that she was accompanied not by a friend or a family member, but by a massive, overprotective bodyguard. The man beside her was all dark skin and golden earrings, with muscles that would make a professional wrestler envious. The tiny woman laid a delicate hand on his massive forearm, smiling slightly as he scanned the crowd for would-be attackers. He was so silly. Who would be foolish or interested enough to attack her? She was a model, not a diplomatic princess or anything. She didn’t mean much, and she was worth even less.

But her manager, her family, and the agents from the corporations she worked for seemed to think otherwise, and had provided her with one ‘Arconius Blake, professional bodyguard extraordinaire.’ Currently, she was trying to convince Blake that an elderly man selling a high priced, yet beautifully elegant length of silk, was not going to pull out a dagger and shanghai her. Blake didn’t look convinced as she tugged gently on his arm. But the poor man behind the cart looked absolutely terrified. It wouldn’t do to just go around frightening every single person she came across. While Blake was an absolute sweetheart, he was also far too serious about his job. Ahvah sighed, but did not put anymore force than necessary behind her tug. Ahvah wasn’t all that she seemed, of course. Delicate, petite, and elegantly built, Ahvah was the daughter of a soldier and a warrior from an ancient and dangerous culture. How she came to be a model in the modern world, no one was really sure.

But her mother’s strength, senses and shifting abilities, and her father’s life lessons and self-defense practice had given her more than a few tools in her arsenal to protect herself. She didn’t necessarily need Blake, but like the good little girl she was, she suffered his presence in silence…Not to mention he made a mean soufflé, and she couldn’t pass up on good food no matter who it came from. Finally, after a few choice words and tugging, Ahvah convinced Blake to leave the poor old man alone, and he had no choice but to follow her as she moved away from the stall and towards the luxurious fountain that took up most of the square in front of the hotel she was currently occupying. “You need to be more careful,” Blake chastised in his deep, rumbling voice. Ahvah resisted the urge to roll her eyes. “Careful, Blake? If I’m any more careful, I’ll die of boredom. Come now, enough is enough. Let me be for a while.”

But Blake merely shook his massive head, and Ahvah despaired of ever having a few moments along. This man was more immovable than a rock. With a sigh, she turned on the charm, and batted her eyelashes at him from beneath the elegant silk. “Oh Blake. I’ve just decided. I would very much like something to eat. Something cold, if you could.” Blake glanced around, confused, and then turned back to her. “But there’s nothing cold around here, ma’am. I’d have to go down the street for that.” A wicked gleam entered Ahvah’s gaze, and she only smiled in her pretty little way and clasped both her hands on his forearm. “Oh but please, Blake. It’s so hot, and I would love something cold. I promise I won’t move. I won’t go anywhere at all. I’ll be right here when you get back. I think I can manage for a few minutes, don’t you?” Blake looked unconvinced, but after a few more minutes of pleading, he finally relented, albeit, not without a stern warning that she stay where she was or else.

Ahvah crossed her heart and promised she wouldn’t go anywhere, and with a huff, Blake moved off to find her ‘something cold’, which she presumed would be an ice cream. With a victorious smile, Ahvah waited until Blake was out of sight, before she sprang to life and took off. Her feet carried her easily down a semi-busy street, and she ran until the crowds thinned and the buildings began to decline in state. Ahvah looked over her shoulder and smiled, before she folded her hands together and started cheerily off down the street, not seeming to mind the eyes that watched her from the shadows. She could smell the thieves who lurked in the darkness; her excellent senses placed every single one of them within a hundred feet of her. As she rounded a corner, however, Ahvah was startled to come face to face with a very odd looking man. He smelled of spice and sweat and sand.

He smelled like he belonged here, and Ahvah took a swift step back, her ears twitching slightly as she watched him. “Oh, hello,” she said, quite oblivious to the danger she was in, but fully confident she could take care of it, should the need arise. “You look like you live around here. If I may be so bold as to ask…Do you have any idea what all there is to do here abouts? I’m woefully inadequate when it comes to finding my way, and I was looking for something interesting. Heaven knows I need some excitement in my life.” And excitement she just might have found…literally.

[1]

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby Mousen » 09/07/2010 8:37 PM

Taurmynt looked up slightly startled to say the least that someone had managed to approach him without him realizing so. He opened his mouth, stupidly for a moment. It had been months since a conversation with anything that could talk back, he was very much used the the the strange looks and fear he was met with whenever he walked the crowded streets of Ver'sol, not having a clearly rich and stunningly beautiful woman ask him where the best place to be was. Though it wasn't as if Taurmynt cared for beauty, even if he did; as always it didn't show "Excitement is overrated." He had a very slight accent, it was a traveller's accent. Several different locations could be picked out, along with the slightly exotic accent of the Wilt'no.

He was the kind to quickly slit the throat of those that got in his way, rather than make a scene; he doubted one such as her would be unguarded. "I believe one of the Sombremessa Hotel staff would me more informed than I, it would probably be a wiser move than to ask myself, you need not know what a temictiani* does for entertainment." There was little chance of her understanding his language and even if she did, the fact didn't bother him much.

As the light caught his dark eyes, they seemed emptier than ever. A complete lack of emotion in his deep gaze. Even his eyes could hide emotion; his 'sister' Sorren often commented on the fact he was like a brick wall at times. She prodded fun at him; her icy demander wasted on him. Neither of them meant it; infact she being the only family he had; Taurmynt was almost close to her in a strange way.

"Come Back here you fiend!" Screeched a gruff voice, the voice belonged to a butcher, his blood stain apron proof of that. He waved a perfectly sharpened cleaver in the hair as he regretted not losing any weight. For the balding middle-aged man was already out of breath. He braced himself, placing his hands on his knees, bending over catching his breath while his colourless eyes scanned around looking for the culprit that stole his best sausages.

A massive, beige, six legged shape ran past him. A snort escaping it's long maw. Taurmynt could just see the scene from where he was stood; a small smile of amusement came to his face. The rathil dodged around the fat, old butcher, it's tails whipping back and fourth as his gourmet meat came more slavered upon. The overly large rathil grinned through the string of meat; in his opinion he'd won. He danced around the butcher for a moment; smug was an understatement for it. Just as it was going to turn the corner and rush of to devour it's  prize; it ran, comically head long into the wall. A small crunching sound was heard. He lay on the floor dazed for a moment; blinking as everything slid back into focus.

It was clear the butcher was wondering how much he'd get for a boned leg of rathil. He wielded his meat cleaver threatening as if daring anyone to take the pleasure of silencing the beast from him.
"Excuse me, sir." The voice that interrupted was cold, and aimed to be intimidating. The voice belonged to Taurmynt. "I'm afraid, the rathil is one of my own and I'd rather take him home before he was put through a meat grinder." The rathil bore no resemblance to that of the terrified  mount he'd rode previously. He'd moved slightly away from the dark alley he'd been in, no one had batted an eyelid when the chaos had began. It was usual there; it livened up the exotic place; not that it needed much livening up. Instead they all now stood silent, wondering how the butcher was going to react to that statement. Taurmynt didn't really want to make a scene. Instead he chucked an reasonably bag of key stones at the vender. Why he had saved the rathil, Taurmynt wasn't sure.

"Wow." The rathil said; Taurmynt was suprised rathils were capable of speech. Though did it have to have a speaky, nails on a chalk board voice that was just asking for trouble. It's eyes went wide for a moment, clearly amazed at something. "You're him! You're the guy that... I'm such a big fan of yours! With the weird little quirks that confuse all the annalists! And you're so amazing! I adore death in all it's forms, but you're better than the grim reaper!" Taurmynt must have stood, utterly confused for several moments. The expression on his face priceless. After managing to collect himself Taurmynt turned to carry on with his day; with hopefully no more interventions from morbid, hyper, talkative rathils.

"Hey! Can I come? Please? You saved me, right? That makes you responsible for me! I promise I won't be a bother. I swear!" The idea hadn't even occurred to the simple creature that it could be the next thing Taurmynt took his spear to. Surprisingly, in answer the humanoid lucain just growled in reply. "Oh! I'm Raro by the way; could I be your sidekick? You know like Batman and  Robin... Only y'know, like evil!" The constant drivel that spilled fourth from his mouth was unbearable to most. The young rathil didn't seem to ever shut up. He moved past the young woman again, wishing that Raro would shut up for a moment. For someone with no apparent emotion Taurmynt sure had alot of pride.

"Oooh! She was pretty! Do you know her? Is she one of those royal things? She could be an assassin! Or something and-" At that point in time Raro had his mouth forcefully shut for him. Even though Taurmynt seemed to hate the creature,  it wouldn't be alive if he wasn't strangely fond of it in a way. Which was highly unusual.

(I'm tired and I needed to bring Raro in. He's always like that. xD So expect high amounts of fail. For those on a low fail diet please consult your GP before reading the above. Thankyou. x-x If there's something seriously wrong with my post, pm me and I'll edit. I haven't had time to edit it much and it's 1:36am. So yeah; fail post. xD)

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/08/2010 11:45 PM

Ahvah stood in silent shock as the man brushed her off as if she hadn’t even spoken to him. Her eyes narrowed slightly, a low growl rumbling in her chest that would be inaudible to human ears. Ahvah opened her mouth to protest, her pretty little face scrunched up in annoyance, when the crashing sound of something large and clumsy echoed in the alley. Ahvah practically had to sidestep the giant creature as it thrashed towards them, and had the sudden, unexplainable impulse to chase after it. Her fangs flashed as she considered the primitive instinct to hunt it down like the prey animal it was, but she quickly stamped down the desire.

She was, after all, a lady of the modern world. She wasn’t some barbarian hunter like her mother. Granted, Zita was good at what she did, and none could rival her skills, but she was still part animal, as far as Ahvah was concerned. She did, of course, fail to consider her own lupine blood and the fact that she too was an animal like her mother, but chose to studiously ignore that fact.

When another voice joined in the one-sided conversation, Ahvah was startled out of her thoughts and vaguely registered the fact that it was the Rathril that spoke. She watched it, fascinated, as it toddled off after the strange man, chattering away about some nonsense or other. Ahvah’s sharp hearing caught it’s remark about her origins, and, like the high class woman she was, she took offense. “Excuse me?” she growled, taking a step towards them. Her sandaled feet tapped gently on the ground, long, elegant legs taking ground eating strides as she quickly caught up with them. “I’ll have you know I am no such thing!”

She reached out one slender hand and settled it briefly, but strongly, onto the man’s shoulder. She was not afraid of him, no matter how much he reeked of danger. Her instincts told her that he was a man she should not trifle with, but the stubborn woman in her overrode the beast inside, and stamped down it’s angry warning that she should not be here. The beast roared and lifted it’s furry head, and snarled a deep, rumbling growl, but Ahvah promptly ignored it, and resorted to a full body tackle to keep that other side of her in check.

The beast was only satisfied when she promised to keep her distance from the man, which she immediately did as she took two large steps backwards. “You seem more inclined to speak with a Rathril than me. I am not an assassin, so you don’t have to fear me in that case…But I may be something worse.” She smiled a tight-lipped, fanged smile, her eyes flashing a bright, gold-green as the beast inside of her once more raised it’s head and glared a warning at the man. “How about you tell me what I’d like to know, and I’ll be on my happy way…without taking offense. Trust me…when they say ’no fury like a woman scorned’ they mean it. Especially when that woman is able to do a lot more than bat her eyelashes and kick you in the shins.”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby Mousen » 09/12/2010 3:55 PM

Taurmynt tilted his head slightly, almost confused as to why anyone would care so much; though there was a slight challenge in his raised brow. Perhaps if he was one of those who's emotions showed, he'd be smirking. Obviously now his face was a plain mask, perhaps one, if they looked deep enough would see a touch of amusement in his eyes, though it was well hidden. As she touched his shoulder Taurmynt tried not to move away; it wasn't out of fear, just because it ha been a long time since

The rathil made a small squeaking noise, almost akin to that of a mouse being trodden on. It seemed for all the confidence and blatant foolishness he exuded Raro was an utter coward. Even if his idea of fun was a séance and some chicken blood. He was a strange mix, perhaps even verging on slightly insane; he would happily follow around a killer; perhaps begging for an autograph, or something just as strange. Raro was completely fearless, until he was shouted at, that was.

"I have not spoken one direct word to the insolent beast, that has now insisted upon following me around." Again he failed to mention exactly why he was letting it follow him around, after all it didn't look like his spear was just for show, it was sharpened to a glistening point, sharp enough to split hairs as the saying goes. Unlike the rest of him, the weapon was spotless, obviously well cared for; rather contradictory of the rest of his appearance. Which to say the least was rather shabby.

"...But I may be something worse."

That intrigued him,  as did her slightly fanged smile. No longer could he stop a flicker of emotion coming to his eyes. "There is supposedly a new night club near the Sombressa Hotel. It seems it would be your kind of thing. Though; I would stay away from this side of town; there are people much worse than I on these streets." Some would say he was giving in, telling her what she wanted to hear. " No fury like a woman scorned’..." He echoed "They hit the nail on the head with that one." This wasn't a reference to her; but to someone he had met a good few years ago; back before the police had even heard of him. Let alone set up those cheesy 'wanted' posters.

The sky must have been getting slightly darker for a while, shade by shade. It wasn't until now he noticed it. There was really only one weather condition to fear out here. Sandstorms. Even though the high city walls minimised the damage it still wasn't wise to be out in one. The sky was now a threatening grey purple, and the wind was picking up. Taurmynt cursed, though unless the female beside him had a great knowledge of the Nahutal language his rather colourful exclamation would remain untranslated.

The tops of the palm trees were slightly bashed about as the wind started to ruffle them. It never ceased to surprise him how quickly the weather changed when you weren't paying attention. Most of the inhabitants of Ver'sol would have seen this coming long before he; you could almost guarantee the fact all inns would be booked up right now. No-one wanted to stay outside during a sandstorm. Taurmynt should have realized; after all the weather had been too perfect for too long. They were due a storm. Raro shuddered, hiding behind his unlikely rescuer. "Sandstorm brewing. I don't think who ever's with you would like to see you out during one of those." He'd refrained from saying 'boy friend' since he didn't particularly want to cause anymore fuss, well not at this moment in time. It was highly unlikely a female such as herself would be alone; for it would be most fool hardy if she was. His tone of voice had a cold edge to it; even though his words were helpful.

(Just adding in another dimension to this XD;;;
EDIT: Going to have to pull him out for now. ^3^ Maybe we can rp Cualli with someone. o3o; )

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate