With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Re: Mental State [HUNT] M

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/08/2012 2:11 PM

Decided. That was the key word. Everything he was, everything he knew about himself was because he had decided that that was the way it was. He was half-convinced that he only existed because Sera had thought him up, and he decided he wanted to stay. He hovered above the sand in the midday sun, feeling wretched as Sera snored placidly close by. Perhaps he wasn't real, he thought, but the fact that he could think, that he could move and act and feel independently of Sera suggested there was more to it than met the eye. Not that finding out would make much difference, of course, since Sera was the only one who could see him, but it would help to find out he wasn't a figment of his own imagination...
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/08/2012 2:21 PM

Sera was happy. He was sure trees weren't meant to be made of candy floss and the river wasn't meant to be made of chocolate milk, but it tasted good, and no-one else seemed to be worried about it. He sat on what appeared to be a lump of rock with the words "ROCK, PAPER, SCISSORS" running through it, and contemplated where he was. This lasted all of five minutes before he was hit on the head by a hail of sugar plums, candied oranges and toffee apples, dislodged from the tree shading him by a precocious little kuhna who obviously thought the top of the tree was the very best viewing platform. Chewing on a toffee apple absent-mindedly, he couldn't help but notice the rainbow shining off the top of the lemonade waterfall, and the sun glistening off the chocolate swamp... Wait a second, chocolate swamp? He slithered off the rock and made a beeline for the swamp... "mmm, chocolate" he hissed greedily, not noticing the sign reading "Danger, keep out"...
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/11/2012 7:15 AM

The scene changed. `Sera, being the way he was, forgot the last scene entirely, which was good (in a way) as to keep track of the ever-shifting scenes in his head would have left him disoriented and would have driven him quite mad (if he wasn't already). He was now an unwashed tramp living on the street in The Slums, with not even a cardboard box to his name (that had been nicked too). His scales were chipped and tarnished, he felt ill when he smelled himself, he jumped at the smallest noises, and he cried when he saw the state of things around him. He heard a "clang" behind him and turned to see the biggest rattegan he had ever seen with it's head buried in a trash can. "Mmm, lunch!" he thought, as he opened his mouth and got ready to strike, already thinking of the best angle to attack from...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/11/2012 7:30 AM

As he watched Sera attack a rock, his "companion" contemplated their situation. He was well aware that it wouldn't make a bit of difference what he thought, as Sera couldn't hear him anyway, but he was bored, and there wasn't much else to do considering he was a semi-(non?)existent intangible figment of someone's imagination in a desert with a companion like Sera. Plus, he had already spent hours getting the non-existent dirt out of his non-existent scales...it was difficult to think of himself as non-existent, he reflected, as he had all the senses he would expect to possess, and was able to think independently...

He watched the sun go down and the moon come up, (all the while ignoring Sera's incessant babbling) and grew a little concerned. The desert turned cold at night, really cold, and whilst it would have no effect on him, he wasn't sure if Sera could withstand the drop in temperature... He watched Sera come out of his vision, and attempted to get him to follow what he was trying to say, but Sera just sat there puzzled watching him undulate...  In the end he gave up, and rushed Sera as he sat there, which of course had the desired effect: Sera moved back into a sand dune, which collapsed on top of him, burying him. His companion wasn't worried; he knew Sera could move through sand like a knife through butter, and the sand would keep him warm through the cold cold night of the desert...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/11/2012 8:17 AM

Sera woke from his visions, and in a rare moment of clarity, wondered where he was, what time it was, and why he was covered in sand. Then he was gone again, lost into his little world of false visions. This time he was on an operating table in Medecai city, and was watching the doctors getting ready. He had already been anaesthetised, and could not move, but could only stare in terror as they kept coming closer with their surgical instruments and their face masks. As they cut into his side, he let out a silent wail of pain before blacking out and leaving them to do what they would... His "companion" watched the sand moving as Sera writhed in pain and winced when he screamed, the sounds echoing loudly into the desert night...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/14/2012 8:55 PM

Sera shivered. He was alone again, in the little cage that formed his entire world (except when he was taken out for exercise or experiments...or "fun" as they liked to call it. He sighed deeply, and resigned himself to trying to sleep the day away. They had fed him only yesterday, so unless someone wanted to have their "fun" he shouldn't be disturbed... He sat up. Someone was working on the lock to the cage, trying to unlock it without the key. The cage door opened, and a man was silhouetted in the light. Sera recognised the figure, and cried out in fear...

Watching Sera contort with his visions wasn't the best (or nicest) entertainment, but Sera's "companion" didn't exactly have a wealth of options to choose from. Silently he watched, until Sera's visions changed and he relaxed completely, even snoring a little...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Mental State (M)

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/23/2012 7:36 PM

Sera was alone, in a dark room. The fireplace was empty, and the air was so cold, he could see his breath in the half-light. His body was growing colder, and slowing down. He could feel himself getting heavier, and he knew that very soon, he wouldn't be able to move. He hissed, and slithered to the door. Surely somebody would let him out, before he got too cold for his heart to beat?

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Mental State (M)(A)(V)

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/21/2012 2:16 PM

Outside Sera's mind, the day was hot and stuffy to the point where his companion felt like he would melt, despite his non-corporeal body. Whilst Sera hallucinated, he shimmered in the heat and drifted slightly, close to where Sera was making small high-pitched whines at the base of a sand-dune. He felt... bored, which was odd because a spirit or hallucination or whatever he was shouldn't be able to feel bored, but he did. But there was nothing for him to do, being unable to touch anything or interact with anyone (including Sera), not to mention that they were in the middle of a desert... If he had been real flesh and blood, he could have made a sandcastle or scrabbled under the sand, or made a sandwich, or just simply curled up and died from the heat...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/21/2012 3:31 PM

Okay, so he couldn't make a sandwich and dying wasn't the most enjoyable experience, but he would be doing something, rather than just... existing. Or questioning his existence, anyway. At that point, Sera began to come out of his episode, and looked directly at his companion with a confused expression. His companion stared; it was the first time he had been acknowledged in who knows how long, and he wasn't quite sure how to react... but he needn't have worried. Within minutes, Sera was entering his next episode, and as he watched him chow down on sand and make happy noises, he wished from the bottom of his heart to be corporeal, or at the very least, visible...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/09/2012 12:26 AM

Sera was happy; it wasn't every day you were taken to the local sweetshop and told you could have as much candy as you could eat, for free. He couldn't believe his luck! He immediately chowed down on peppermint creams, chocolate mice, and other such treats young children adore. He was in his element, until he caught sight of a familiar... Well, it couldn't be called a figure. It was a spun sugar snake - with a pale blue tinge - on a stick, and something in Sera's mind flashed a warning...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/31/2015 8:52 PM

Suddenly, Sera spat out the rocks he had been chewing on. They had gone from tasting like candy to feeling like they were red hot. He screamed as he felt the ones in his belly heat up too. The pain may have been in his head, but his body writhed and twisted until the pain he felt was very real. One can, after all, only tie oneself into a certain amount of knots.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/31/2015 8:54 PM

On and on he wailed and thrashed, leaving gouges in the sand as he moved. Aside from the spirit who was always watching him, there was no-one around. Not that Sera could have perceived them anyway, locked up in his mind as he was. His screeched echoed through the air, disturbing the loose sand on the dunes. Eventually, he fell still, though his body still ached and burned from within.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 04/03/2015 4:14 PM

Sera whimpered; for a moment, he felt totally alone and helpless. His companion spirit sighed, and tried to conjure up some sort of comforting thought. He felt totally useless, just floating here beside one who couldn't even remember his own name on a good day. Heck, Sera ate rocks thinking they were gourmet dishes; he was hardly company - even to an incorporeal spirit. A useless existence for the both of them.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/24/2015 7:20 PM

But that was the point, wasn't it? A curse on both of them - as long as Sera lived, neither would be free of the other. Isolation for one and madness for the other - utterly fitting, perhaps, considering the vile things that had befallen them. Whether it was deserved was a matter of opinion, and at this point was also entirely redundant.

Sera hissed, and the spirit was reminded of why exactly he was musing. He floated closer, and attempted to will Sera into a calmer state, but the Carpetfang merely thrashed harder against his imaginary bonds.

[1]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/24/2015 7:23 PM

To Sera, those bonds were very real; as he writhed in agony at the memories which took over, he was unable to see where he really was. All senses were lost in the twisting spiral that was his consciousness.

He whined, and cried out in terror; he could not flee his attackers, and was chained to a wall that was heating up swiftly. As he felt his flesh begin to burn, his scream tore the calm night asunder.

His ghostly companion looked on in silence, hopeless and morose about his lack of ability to aid in any way.

[2]

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext