With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Re: Protection [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:12 PM

Haru heard Sora sigh, and she turned to catch him staring up at the sky thoughtfully, his food forgotten (for once). “I got other things that are more important, Haru. I got…someone to look after. I can’t very well do that if I’m stuck being Fifth Squad’s lieutenant. That’s a whole heck of a lot of responsibility, ya know. And all the paperwork!”

He snorted and flopped backwards on the roof, watching the clouds drift by overhead. Haru stared at him curiously, lips parted as though she wanted to ask another question, but suddenly thought better of it. With a sigh of her own, she leaned back on the tiles of the roof, folding one arm behind her head and the other over her stomach.

“Yeah,” she agreed. “I guess it is a lot of responsibility…But Sora, who is it you gotta look after?” She turned her head to look at him, but found he’d closed his eyes, a small grin on his face.

“Don’t worry about it, Haru.”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:13 PM

“Haru?”

Haru opened her eyes to the concerned gaze of her captain. “Huh? Oh, sorry. Must’ve spaced out.”

“Not a dream, huh?”

“No, just…just a memory.” Never a dream. Only memories. Always memories, she thought sadly. Her eyes crinkled as she smiled faintly, assuring her captain that everything was fine. “Don’t worry, captain. I’m…all right. For the most part.”

Shinji set his cup down, and Haru wondered how he’d drained it down to the dregs without her noticing. “Have ya talked to Kisuke about it at all, Haru? I’m sure he’s worried about ya too, ya know. He was there after all.”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:13 PM

“Yeah,” Haru replied instantly. “He was. I haven’t so much as thought about him since…I guess maybe I forgot he was there, or I tried to forget. I think it’d be better if I…didn’t talk to him. I don’t think he’d understand. He didn’t know Sora like I did. He was just there as backup.”

“But he was there.”

“Captain, please don’t start with me again,” Haru replied tiredly, head lolling to the side to glare half-heartedly into Shinji’s gray eyes. “I’m tired, and talking about how I feel makes me even more tired. How about we just call it a night, and I try to get some sleep?”

“Haru, I can stay if ya want. Maybe it’ll help the nightmares go away, if you’re not alone, ya know?” Shinji smiled in the dark, eyes crinkling, and Haru decided that ‘creepy smile guy’ was a good nickname for him.

“Captain,” she grumbled warningly.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:14 PM

“No, no! I didn’t mean sleep together! I just meant…I can stay right here, and maybe with someone else in the room, you’ll be able to get some nightmare free sleep.” He raised his hands in surrender, grinning from ear to ear.

Haru snorted, wondering if she should trust her captain. He was known to have his, what Haru liked to call, ‘perverted moments,’ where he’d try to cop a feel of a breast or a bottom as she walked by. Having him sleep in the same room probably wasn’t a good idea. But the thought of having just one nightmare free night was enticing enough for her to overlook that flaw.

“All right, captain. But no touching. And you stay over there, please.”

Shinji grinned like the cat who’d caught the mouse. “I cross my heart, Haru. I won’t move from this spot all night. You have my word.”

Haru eyed him suspiciously, but decided it would be all right to trust him, and slipped back beneath her comforter, curling up like a burrito. “If you try anything, captain….” she warned in the quiet, but Shinji’s voice floated back to her, soft and assuring.

“Just sleep, Haru. I’ll be here in the morning.”

Dreamlessly, she did.

------------------

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:15 PM

“Hey Haru!”

Haru turned, balancing the stack of papers in her arms. She tried to peek over the top to see who had called her, but succeeded in only catching a glimpse of pale blonde hair. “3rd seat Urahaha,” she greeted politely, smiling behind the papers. “What can I do for you?”

“Haru,” Kisuke began, and she could hear the sulk in his voice as he visibly deflated. Haru couldn’t quite see, but she knew she’d wounded him with that greeting. “It’s just ‘Kisuke,’ Haru. You know that.” He reached out and picked the top off of the stack of papers, balancing it easily in his longer arms. He gazed down at the girl, who smiled up at him. Kisuke knew the smile was fake; he’d seen enough of Haru’s smiles to know when one was real or not.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:16 PM

“Sorry, Kisuke. Did you need something?” she replied in a falsely sweet tone. It wasn’t as if she was really forcing her politeness; she just wasn’t ready to talk to him yet about what had happened. She’d rather deal with it on her own; she was tired of everyone asking her how she felt.

She felt terrible…that’s how she felt.

“I just…I was hoping you might want to talk about-” Kisuke began, scratching the back of his head nervously with his free hand.

“No, Kisuke,” Haru said softly, and he read the sadness in her eyes that told him now was not the time to press the issue. “No, I-I don’t. Not right now. Look, Kisuke, I’ve got a lot of work to do before…Listen, I’ve just got a lot of work to do, and I should get back to the captain’s office before he decides to wander off and bother someone again.” This time the smile was a little more genuine, and she indicated the stack of papers he was holding with her chin. “Eh, can I have my papers back, please, Kisuke?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:16 PM

“Of course,” Kisuke replied warmly, setting the papers on top of the already precariously balanced stack. “Uh, er, do you need any help there, Haru?”

“No, no!” Haru replied quickly, hiking the stack of papers up higher on her chest. “I’ve got it all under control. No need to worry. Uh, see ya later Kisuke!”

“Yeah,” Kisuke replied, feeling something inside of him sink at the sight of her walking away. “See ya later, Haru.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:17 PM

“Mask of blood and flesh, all creation, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of Man! Inferno and pandemonium, the sea barrier surges, march on to the south! Hadō number thirty-one. Shakkahō!"

A very loud explosion followed the incantation, and Sora had to leap back to avoid being engulfed in the smoke. “What the hell was that?!” he cried, coughing and waving his hand.

“That was a Hadō!” Haru protested, looking quite singed as the clouds of smoke cleared. Her little pigtails were slightly crispy, and Sora had to make a real effort not to laugh.

“That was a disaster is what it was,” he replied, strolling across the training grounds and placing his hands on his hips. “You’re hopeless. How can you expect to become a captain if you’re so terrible at Hadō and Kido?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Haru puffed up her cheeks, her face flaming as she glowered up at her friend. “Who said I wanted to become a captain? I think you’re confusing your ambitions with mine! I just want to pass the academy!” Haru groaned and flopped to the ground, leaning back on her hands. “At this rate, you’re going to be a lieutenant by the time I graduate.” Scowling, Haru curled her arms over her upraised knees, plucking at the hem of her hakama.

Sora sighed, glancing at the practice range that looked relatively untouched (Save for the giant burnt hole in the wall; Haru had managed at least one partially successful Hadō). “Aw, come on, Haru. That’s not true. It just takes practice, like everything else. Remember when you couldn’t even swing a sword properly? Now you’re one of the best swordsmen- er, swordswomen-” he quickly amended when she shot him a dark look. “-in the class. Just keep trying and you’ll get it.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

He ran a hand through his hair, messing up the already relatively mussed up spikes, and leaned down to catch Haru’s gaze. “Look, I’ve gotta get going. I’m teaching a swordsmanship class today.” He grinned, puffing out his chest proudly. “It sure is good being a senior academy member. But anyways-” Sora ruffled Haru’s still smoking hair quickly, grinning widely when she slapped his hand away with a growl. “-I’ll see you later. Keep practicing, Haru!”

Sora waved over his shoulder as he turned and jogged off, leaving Haru to stare sullenly at the untouched practice field (the burnt wall didn’t count).  “Stupid spells. Why’re they so important, anyway?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:18 PM

“You know, it helps if you concentrate on where you want the spell to go.”

Haru gave a start, not having realized anyone else was out on the field, and turned to look up at a pale blonde man hovering just behind her. He was one of the older academy students, older than Sora, at least, and Haru had seen him around a couple of times. She didn’t know his name, but she remembered watching him give a demonstration on the proper sword handling techniques. Sora had been quite enthralled by the speech, and forced her to sit through the entire thing.

“Sorry…what?” Haru questioned, brushing one of her singed pigtails over her shoulder. “I didn’t catch that.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:19 PM

The older student’s cheeks flushed slightly pink, and he quickly averted his gaze to the training field. “I said, it helps if you concentrate on where you want the spell to go. From what I, uh, saw, it looks like you’re lacking that kind of concentration. Hadō isn’t just about saying the spell and then hoping it hits where you’re aiming; it’s about consciously aiming your attack to hit where you want. It didn’t look like you were even aiming. I think you’re concentrating on the words a bit too much.”

Haru just stared, slightly impressed, slightly insulted, and the older student shifted uncomfortably under her gaze. “Er-” he began, rubbing his neck sheepishly. “-sorry. I-I know you didn’t ask for my help or opinion, but I just-”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“No,” Haru replied in a clipped tone, turning back to face the practice field. “I didn’t. Thanks for the advice, but I’d really like to be alone right now.”

“Oh,” he mumbled, eyes lowering slightly. “Okay. Well, I just…I mean, I just wanted to help. I won’t bother you anymore. I’ll-I’ll just be going now.” Haru felt the air rush past her as he bowed quickly. “Sorry I bothered you.” The sound of his sandals finally disappearing prompted Haru to turn slightly, a small frown on her face.

“Who does he think he is?” she huffed, crossing her arms over his chest. “Just because he’s older than me, and he’s been here longer, doesn’t mean I want his help.” But still, he did have a pretty good point. She wasn’t aiming her Hadō; she was just hoping it hit wherever it hit, if it even managed that much at all. Maybe…

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Haru rose to her feet, planting them firmly as she faced the practice field. She raised her hand, palm facing outward, and gripped her wrist with the opposite hand. ‘I’ve got to focus,’ she thought. ‘Focus on where I want it to land. Don’t just concentrate on the words. I want to hit a target. No; I want to obliterate a target.’ She squinted one eye, aiming carefully at one of the targets near the middle of the field. ‘I can do this. I just have to concentrate.’

“Mask of blood and flesh, all creation, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of Man! Inferno and pandemonium, the sea barrier surges, march on to the south! Hadō number thirty-one. Shakkahō!"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:20 PM

The red ball of light crackled with energy as it formed in the middle of her palm, spinning slowly before it flew forward. Haru blinked back her surprise as her shot slammed into the target, shattering half of it into a hundred small pieces. She opened her mouth once, as if not quite believing what she’d just managed to do, before she leapt into the air with one fist raised.

“Whoo! I did it!” she cried, turning in tiny circle. “I can’t wait to show Sora when he gets back!” Quickly sobering at the thought of her dark haired companion, Haru narrowed her eyes at the field. “Guess I should practice before he gets back. I want to make sure I’ve got this down.” A smirk curled up over her lips. “I’ll show him.”

Near the edge of the training field, the older academy student was watching in silence, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. Kisuke chuckled to himself; well, at least he’d brought a smile back to her face, even if he hadn’t done it the way he planned. Sighing quietly, he resigned himself to watching from a distance, leaning against one of the building’s beams and folding his arms over his chest.

------------

(Next Part)

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous