With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Re: Protection [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:04 PM

Haru closed her mouth as a sob tried to wrench itself from her throat. “Stop it, Sora, stop talking. We’re going to get you help. We’re going to save you. Just hold on, okay?” She placed her hands over his abdomen as blood spurted up between her fingers, and they began to glow a faint green. She gasped and nearly jerked back when Sora’s hand unexpectedly closed over her own. They came away dark  and sticky with blood, and Haru felt angry bile rise up in the back of her throat. There was so much of it…. She had to stop the bleeding. But there was just…just so much!

“K-knock it off, idiot. Y-you never…never were good at kidō. Just-just leave it, okay?”

“No!” Haru cried, tears dripping from her cheeks onto Sora’s crimson stained robes. There was so much blood…so much… “No I won’t! You can’t die, Sora! What am I going to do without you?!”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:04 PM

“Haru, shut up…” Sora coughed, a small trickle of red rolling down his chin. “D-don’t worry, d-dummy. I’ve b-been through worse…’S-sides…you‘re a lieutenant now, you don‘t r-really need me…”

“But I-”

“Just…stop.”

Haru closed her eyes, and Kisuke could see her shoulders shaking with the efforts of controlling her tears. She bit her lip hard enough to draw blood, and tasted the metallic tang on her tongue. “P-please,” she whispered softly. “Please don’t leave me…” The pain, the anguish, and all of her love was poured so deeply into that single sentence, that Kisuke bowed his head, closing his eyes against the palpable heartbreak in the air.

“Don’t got a choice…Haru. L-listen, don’t…don’t get all mopey and d-depressed after I die, or I’ll be really pissed.”

“You aren’t going to die!”

“Shut up!” Sora cried, then coughed heavily. “You know I-I am, Haru. Don’t be stupid.”

“But Sora-”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:05 PM

Sora shushed her, and turned his eyes tiredly to Kisuke, who had remained silent during their exchange. There was nothing he, nor anyone else could do for Sora, and both men were well aware of that. Haru was too, even if she was trying to deny it. “Hey, look…after her, ‘kay? I-I’d rather it be you than…anyone e-else…”

Kisuke squeezed Sora’s hand gently, before he let it go and placed it softly on the man’s slowly rising chest. “I will, I promise.”

“Good man,” Sora laughed weakly, before his eyes shifted back to Haru. “H-Haru…there’s something I’ve always wanted to t-tell you, but I’ve been too scared un-until now…now when…when it’s too late…”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:05 PM

“Tell me Sora. Anything. What is it?” Haru asked desperately, clutching at his hand and leaning over him. She was holding on for dear life, trying to keep him close even as he fell further and further from her reach. She couldn’t believe he was dying. She didn’t want to let him go. As she leaned over him, her hair framed their faces, a small, symbolic curtain of privacy that separated them from the world. Kisuke looked away out of respect.

“Haru…I-I love you…Please…kiss me…just-just once…” Sora murmured weakly. Haru could see the light in his eyes fading, and her breath caught in her throat at his words. All this time…why did he never-? She choked back a sob as the tears poured down her cheeks, splashing softly against Sora’s.

“S-Sora, oh Kami, I-I love you too,” she whispered brokenly, before she leaned down to press her lips against his, her heart racing as she felt his grip on her hand loosening.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:06 PM

“T-thanks…Haru. I‘m gonna…miss you…” he breathed softly against her lips, and Haru yanked her head back as his hand fell from hers, and his eyes slid shut. “Can’t believe…I’m gonna die…like t-this. Taken out by a little Hollow. How…pathetic…” One last breath passed through his lips, and he sighed quietly, and then no more.

She gasped, grabbing his hand again and clutching it desperately to her chest. “Sora? Sora?!” Her eyes squeezed closed as the sobs enveloped and wracked her body. She vaguely felt Kisuke’s arm going around her shoulders and felt him trying to drag her away from Sora’s body. “No! Don‘t leave me! Don‘t leave! Let me go, Kisuke! Let go! He needs me!” she shouted, struggling against his grip, trying to get back to Sora, who lay still and unmoving on the grass in front of her.

Tears blurred her vision as Kisuke turned her around and wrapped her in a warm embrace that felt, to Haru, so cold and empty. Like Sora. She sobbed into his chest, fingers clenched in the fabric of his robes. No, it couldn’t be true! Not him! Why him?!

“Oh, K-Kami…Please don’t leave! Sora!”

---------------

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:06 PM

“Sora!”

Haru jolted awake, clutching her chest. Her skin felt cool and clammy, but she wondered at the heat racing through her body when her skin was so cold. Her sweat dampened hair clung to her cheeks as she shuddered delicately from the aftermath of the nightmare.

No, she realized. It wasn’t a nightmare.

It was a memory.

She shuddered again as she pulled the comforter back and stood from her futon. It hadn’t been more than a month or so since Sora’s death, and Haru was still having a difficult time getting to sleep. Maybe she should go see Captain Unohana; she always knew what to do when things like this came up. The Fourth Squad captain was a legendary healer, but she also had some amazing remedies for those unfortunate sleepless nights that had plagued one too many soul reapers over the years.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:07 PM

A soft sigh escaped her lips, sounding loud in the still of the night. She kneeled in front of her mirror, pulling her hair up into a bun and stared at her reflection for a moment; the dark bags under her eyes probably weren’t a good sign, and even she could see that she looked paler than usual.

But what did she expect?

How does one lose their best friend and first love one day, and go on about living their lives as if nothing happened the next?

It didn’t happen that way.

Groaning, Haru let her head fall into her hands. She needed to focus on her job; she couldn’t let herself get run down and worn out this way. She had appearances to uphold, and someone had to be the voice of sanity in the fifth squad; that voice was usually her.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:07 PM

The sound of her door sliding open startled her, and she glanced over her shoulder to see a shadow outlined against the moonlight. Judging by the unnaturally large grin and the long blonde hair, she could safely assume it was her captain. Haru squeaked, and leapt to her feet; or she tried to leap to her feet. She ended up stumbling over her futon comforter and probably would’ve face planted if Shinji hadn’t caught her in time.

“Whoa, there. I know I’m good lookin’ but throwin’ yerself at me is just ridiculous.”

Haru immediately put a generous amount of space between herself and her (oftentimes perverted) captain. “Captain Hirako,” she said kindly, feeling a blush creep up her neck when she realized she was in her sleeping robe and nothing else. She tugged the top closed a bit more, hoping he hadn’t caught a glimpse of anything he shouldn’t have. “Uh, can I help you with something, sir?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:08 PM

“Cut the crap, lieutenant Haru,” Shinji drawled, putting special emphasis on her rank. He stepped into her room without invitation and slid the screen shut behind him. Plopping himself on the ground gracelessly, he sprawled lazily out on his side. “I told ya not to use those silly titles when we were just hangin’ out.”

Shinji Hirako, captain of the Fifth Squad, and resident ‘creepy smile guy,’ as Haru had heard some of the other women in the Sereitei call him, had a tendency to show up at very weird times. Haru Hokkaido was the lieutenant of Fifth squad and worked under said ‘creepy smile guy’; sometimes, she decided, it was more of a chore than a duty. Especially when Shinji took it upon himself to visit her at odd hours of the day (when she wasn‘t trailing him around Sereitei or caught up in trying to organize his paperwork; the man avoided paperwork like the plague), as he was wont to do from time to time. Haru had gotten used to his strange quirks over the years, but he still managed to surprise her every once in a while.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:09 PM

“Captain,” Haru continued in a falsely sweet voice, eyes crinkling with her smile. “We are not ‘hanging out.’ In case you hadn’t noticed, I was asleep, and you just walked in uninvited and decided to lounge about in my room. Was there something you needed, sir?”

Shinji rolled his eyes. “Sheesh, Haru, yer such a stick in th’ mud. Besides…” His grin faded, and his eyes glinted in the dark. “I heard ya yellin‘.”

“Yelling?” Haru asked stupidly, feigning ignorance; lovely, now her captain was being affected by her inability to get a handle on her emotions. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, sir.” She moved to the small kitchenette in her room, and started pulling a kettle from one of the cupboards. “I’ll make some tea while you’re here, sir. Maybe it’ll help us both get back to sleep,” she said offhandedly, hoping to distract him from the topic at hand.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:09 PM

“Haru.”

Haru froze at the tone of his voice, but quickly resumed putting together a pot of tea.

“Haru, ya know ya can’t lie to me, so stop actin’ like everythin’s okay, all right? I know it was hard to lose So-”

Don’t. Please Shinji. Just don‘t.”

Shinji blinked, and sat up straight, hands folded in the opposite sleeves of his white captain’s robe. “Haru, ya gotta talk about it sometime. Keepin’ stuff like that bottled up ain’t good for ya. And I’m here…whenever ya need me.”

The gentle tone of her captain’s voice startled her, but Haru chose to ignore it. “Please, captain. I just…I’m not ready to talk about that yet. Let’s just drink our tea, and try to go back to bed, all right?”

“Okay, Haru,” Shinji reluctantly agreed with a sigh. “But I’m here if ya-”

“Captain.”

“Hm?”

“I want to transfer.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:10 PM

Shinji blinked, wondering if he’d heard right. Had Hiyori finally kicked his ability to hear out of him? “Come again, Haru?”

“I said…I-I want to transfer.” Haru turned to face him, her hands gripping the edge of the counter behind her. “I’m sorry...It’s just…ever since…ever since that night, I haven’t felt…right, here. I think getting away from…the memories will do me good, even if it’s for a little while.”

“But none of the other squads need a lieutenant!” Shinji protested, his gray eyes wide. “Where would you transfer?”

“I don’t know. I’ll ask the head captain to decide. But I think it’s for the best.”

Shinji frowned as Haru turned to tend the tea, pouring each of them a cup and setting them on a tray. She walked back to sit beside Shinji, careful not to spill the cups, and handed him his. “Look, Shinji. I‘m sorry. I just…I need a little time away. Give me a while, and I’ll come back. I may not be your lieutenant again, but I’ll still be here. And-and besides…it’s not like I’ll be far away. You see me around the Sereitei all the time, I’m sure.” She lifted the cup to her lips, and took a sip of the hot liquid.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:11 PM

“If it’s what ya want, Haru, then I ain’t gonna stop ya. I just wish ya didn’t feel like ya have to run away from everything.”

“I’m not running away,” Haru protested, but she caught the flat stare Shinji was giving her out of the corner of her eye. “I’m not, captain. I’m just…taking a break. Besides-” she took another sip of her tea, and leaned her head back against the sliding door. “-I’m not much use to you like this. I can’t even sleep properly anymore, it seems.”

“Ah,” Shinji muttered, mimicking Haru’s position and leaning back. “I see. So you were yellin’ earlier then. The nightmares…are that bad?” He turned his head slightly to gaze at his lieutenant, and Haru caught the concern shining in his gray eyes. She quickly shied away from it, and buried her head in her free hand to escape his scrutiny.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:11 PM

“Yeah, they-they are. This is the only thing I can think of to do to make them stop. Don’t fault me for it, captain. Please. I’ve never…I’ve never had to go a day without Sora being there. We’ve been together since the start.”

She remembered their first week at the academy; they’d been placed in the same class, and Sora had found it more than amusing to nitpick with her every chance he got. He could be so frustrating sometimes. And he always seemed to be one step ahead of Haru, always just out of reach. Haru felt like she was constantly trying to keep up with him, and never succeeding.

“Sora! Wait up!” Haru ran after the older boy, her oversized red hakama nearly making her trip and stumble on the wooden floors. Her hair bounced behind her in two high pigtails.

“Nyah, shorty, you’re too slow!” Sora called over his shoulder, sticking his tongue out gleefully. He skipped along ahead, even going so far as to jog backwards to show her just how slow she was.

“D-don’t call me that!” Haru protested, a blush lighting up her cheeks as she raced after him frantically.

“Then don’t be so short!” Sora teased back, turning and racing ahead. “Ha ha, see ya round, Haru!”

“H-hey! I can’t help being short, Sora! Wait up!”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/01/2014 3:12 PM

Sora was always like that. He was always better at everything. He should’ve been lieutenant, not her, but even after being offered the position multiple times, he declined. He never wanted that kind of responsibility. Whenever Haru asked him why he didn’t want to be a lieutenant, he was always so…vague with his answers.

“Hey Sora?”

“Yeah, Haru?”

She could almost hear the eye-roll in his voice. The two of them sat alone on the rooftop, Sora happily munching through a pork bun; he had little pieces of food clinging to his face, and Haru couldn’t help but think he was rather adorable. She’d never say it aloud, of course. Heaven forbid she wound his ‘manly pride.’

“How come you don’t want to be lieutenant? Captain Hirako thinks you got the right stuff.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext