With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Re: I know I let you down, didn't I? [Self; Training | M?]

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/10/2015 7:17 PM

Perhaps Quentin was a bit scared as to the prospects of what awaited him behind the curtain--after all, these rich desert-faring types were terribly unpredictable. For all he knew, Quentin was about to come face to face with a hungry tiger, or a collection of birds of prey, or... flowers, apparently. Quentin's eyes went wide as saucers at the sheer amount of color that suddenly filled his vision. And then, of course, there was movement; a startling amount of movement seemed to be coming from every direction, new colors flitting in and out of the blossoms and leaves--butterflies, and what could only be hundreds of them.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Naeem sighed happily from behind him, making Quentin jump and stiffen out of his startled reverie. "I'm sure you've seen butterflies before, but these won't hurt you--try not to smack any if they land on you, though," he added with a cringe and a chuckle. "They don't mean any harm."

[42]

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/10/2015 9:47 PM

"I know what butterflies are," Quentin muttered, frowning at the boy behind him, then walking into the misty room and squinting. He squeaked and gasped as Naeem suddenly grabbed his shoulders from behind and tugged him back, alarm and anger lighting up Quentin's eyes. "Let go--"

"Sorry! Sorry, be careful," Naeem whispered, his voice close to Quentin's ear, making the smaller boy's face heat up slightly at the close quarters. He wasn't fond of contact, or at least, he was fairly sure he wasn't. "Look--that's a really rare one." Naeem let go of one of Quentin's shoulders to point down at the floor, and Quentin blinked, staring at the bright lavender and blue tinted butterfly he'd almost trampled on. He blinked at it, then glanced at Naeem, then shrugged the boy's hands off of his shoulders.

"Yeah. Pretty," Quentin mumbled, watching as the butterfly flitted away and glided along the flowers.

[43]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/11/2015 2:39 AM

Naeem smiled at that, relaxing, and he released Quentin altogether, a bit embarrassed at the grabbing--but a quick moment of embarrassment was better than killing such a beautiful creature. Naeem walked delicately, carefully, on the balls of his feet, avoiding stepping on any more stragglers as he made his way through the garden. He stiffened with alarm as he heard a terrified squeak come from behind him, and he whirled around quickly to stare at Quentin. Quentin stood stock still, his eyes wide with alarm, and the majority of his face occupied by a large, curious yellow butterfly. Naeem had to keep himself from laughing at the poor boy's ordeal. "I told you, they don't bite!"

"I-I don't care--!" Quentin squeaked; my, what a brave butterfly. It hadn't left the younger boy's face yet. "Just get it off, please," he whispered, and Naeem's eyes softened as he walked back over, an amused smile worming over his face.

[44]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/12/2015 3:47 AM

Naeem held up his hands, a silent request for Quentin to calm down and be quiet. Quentin scowled at the motion, but seemed to soften at the calm smile on Naeem's face as the other boy approached. "Hold still," Naeem murmured, placing a hand in warning on Quentin's shoulder, then cheek, carefully prying the butterfly's prickly legs from Quentin's face and hair. It's wings flapped and battered Quentin's face, making the smaller boy grunt in protest and sneeze, and Naeem let the creature go with a light laugh. "There we go. Now you're safe."

"Shut it," Quentin muttered, rubbing at the dust on his face from the butterfly's wings, a disgusted frown on his face. He glanced at Naeem--the older boy's hands had been so warm...--and managed something like a smirk. "Thanks, though. It just caught me off guard, is all! And it was monstrous--why would a butterfly ever need to be that big? To be a better meal for a bird?"

Naeem's brows raised at that, and his face split into a grin. "Perhaps so. Maybe it's a very generous butterfly."

[45]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous