With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

I know I let you down, didn't I? [Self; Training | M?]

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/01/2015 4:52 PM

[Click for human form; this is an AU that has nothing to do with Quentin's or Naeem's story.]

This had to be some kind of horrid joke.

Quentin was absolutely sweltering in the desert heat, the lacy clothing clinging to his body irritating him something fierce. He didn't give a rat's ass that he was apparently on his way to meet royalty; the shaded caravan he sat across from his aunt was far from doing anything to keep him cool, and the ride was so bumpy that the back of his neck had gone numb some time ago from all the jostling.

It seemed that his aunt had noticed his scowl, because it wasn't long before a quick, sharp slap was delivered across Quentin's face, and he gasped in spite of himself, cutting off halfway into a wince. "You will not embarrass me while we're here," his aunt's voice hissed at him in the shade of the caravan. "Is that understood?"

Quentin had to hold back a scoff, his cheek stinging. "Crystal."

[10]

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: I know I let you down, didn't I? [Self; Training | M?]

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/01/2015 5:40 PM

Apparently Auntie Lesauvage, being a woman of substantial wealth and apparent connections with the sultan of a certain Wilt'no empire, had been invited to a sort of dinner party. Really, Quentin had to question the whole thing; it felt very strange for someone of the sultan's stature to organize such a thing. Then again, Quentin never could get inside the mind of the rich.

Quentin was starting to get dizzy from the heat, and it was when his vision was starting to blur that the caravan creaked to a halt and their driver's voice announced that they had arrived at the palace. Quentin blinked back to awareness, the white noise of his own brain dissipating to uncover the sudden bustling, crowded noise of people milling about the dusty streets.

[11]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/01/2015 6:00 PM

Quentin almost hissed as light was thrown on him when his aunt pulled back the curtains of the caravan, and she stepped out with a delicate air, or as delicate as a woman of her size could. Quentin followed quickly, knowing his arm would get wrenched out of socket by her pulling if he didn't, and he stepped out into the sunlight. If it had been hot before, it was hell now. The combined direct sunlight with the myriad of bodies moving around on the streets made Quentin want to lie down and die, or at least get some of those horrid clothes off. Auntie Lesauvage must have noticed his wavering, because a firm hand was soon wrapped around his wrist and he felt himself being tugged towards something. Quentin raised his eyes after a moment, once he felt like he could even bear to let his eyes face the sun, and they widened slightly to take in the enormous palace of alabaster and gold. Well, he supposed, that really was something else.

[12]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/22/2015 9:59 PM

Quentin almost felt he'd keel over and die as his aunt paused to chat with one of the servants guarding the door, two charming young men that she crooned over and thanked profusely for allowing she and her nephew to come. At this, she jerked Quentin's arm and he gasped, grunting in pain. "Mgh--thank you," Quentin muttered as his aunt gave him a pointed smile that hid a threat behind it. If he wasn't the pinnacle of sweet little dollike model nephew, he'd surely pay the price.

At last, they were ushered inside once Auntie Lesauvage had confirmed their identities, and the rush of lukewarm air that greeted Quentin's skin felt like a godsend. He held in a relieved sigh, as if afraid his own breath would heat the air past comfort levels. There was hardly a moment's rest when an enormous door on the other end of the room--it was an impressive room, with its pillars and rugs and delicate white furniture with embedded jewels, but Quentin was far more impressed with its temperature--burst open to let the chattering noise of the other invitees leak into the main room. Quentin's eyes widened as the sultan himself strode out of the room, a plump, sleek man with elaborate dress and a beaming, warm grin. Quentin hardly had time to look at him before he was shoved into a bowing position, while his aunt curtsied to the best of her ability. "Welcome, welcome both of you! It's wonderful to see that you made it!" the sultan bellowed, reaching out to take his aunt's hand delicately in his pudgy, wrinkled hands.

[13]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/24/2015 3:49 AM

Quentin did his best to tune out the excited chattering of his aunt, only catching every other word now and then, a conglomerate mixture of 'so happy to be here' and 'incredibly honored.' Quentin wanted to vomit; he knew very well why his aunt and him had been invited to that party, and likely with quite begrudging agreement from another of the sultan's guests.

Quentin's father was there, and seeing him was about the last thing on Quentin's mind. Perhaps if he could slip away, ask to go to the bathroom or something... But before Quentin could think much about it he was being dragged towards the commotion of the main party room, and he felt a great unease come over him. More than anything he felt like hiding behind his aunt the whole time. He was, at least, grateful she was there and that he wasn't there alone. But it was very likely she'd want to see what his father thought of her work on his manners. Oh, this was going to be a rotten week.

[14]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/24/2015 3:59 AM

The sultan seemed to leave them right as they entered the room, and Quentin was both offended and relieved, until the Sultan came back with someone in tow. Quentin blinked, a little surprised; the boy following the sultan had a kind, laughter-filled face, with dark, intelligent eyes that immediately silently greeted Quentin with curiosity. Quentin scowled at him without meaning to. Quentin hated adults, yes, but he hated teenagers even more. He quickly corrected his facial expression as the sultan beamed at both of them, gently placing a hand on the dark skinned boy's back. "It's a pleasure to introduce you both to my son, Prince Naeem. He's turning sixteen this year, in the winter."

Naeem was quickly attacked with crooning handshakes from Auntie Lesauvage, and he tittered politely, bending his head to lightly peck the woman on the hand out of customary greeting. At least, Quentin assumed it was customary, but the sultan looked a little surprised regardless. Perfectly delighted with this display, Quentin's aunt quickly gestured to Quentin himself with a flourish. "And this is Quentin; I'm sure you two will get along very nicely!"

[15]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/24/2015 4:03 AM

Naeem blinked at Quentin with bright eyes, then bent down lower to smile at him and reach out a hand to shake. Quentin dithered for a moment, clearly looking a little uncomfortable. He didn't really want a kiss on the hand like he'd done to his aunt, but he offered his hand to shake anyway. As if picking up on his discomfort, Naeem simply smiled and nodded at him, leaving off the extra gesture and instead straightening up as the sultan laid a hand on his bare shoulder.

"Why don't you show Quentin around? I doubt a child would want to be caught up in all of this commotion," the sultan suggested, and honestly Quentin beamed at the idea of getting away. Naeem picked up on Quentin's eagerness, and he promptly agreed, motioning for Quentin to follow him out of that lion's den of a party room.

[16]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/24/2015 4:07 AM

Admittedly, Quentin had accidentally gotten lost in the crowd once on the way to the door, and Naeem had reached out to take his wrist and pull him along. Beneath the delicate silk gloves he'd been made to wear, he felt the warmth of the older boy's fingers, and it was a startling difference to Auntie Lesauvage's cold grip.

Once they had closed the door behind them and were engulfed in silence again, Naeem let out a soft sigh and smiled slightly at Quentin, who really just looked wary. "There we are," he murmured, his voice smooth and almost melodiously soft. "I honestly don't really like extremely noisy places. Parties are nice, but... sometimes they can be a bit... much. Quentin, right?" he asked, offering a friendly smile to Quentin, who simply nodded slowly in response. This guy was weird, Quentin thought silently to himself.

[17]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/23/2015 2:31 PM

Naeem's posture brightened at Quentin's simple response, and he waved the smaller boy to follow him. "Come on; I'll show you the nicer parts of the castle," he offered, then blinked as Quentin shrugged in indifference. His eyelashes fluttered for a moment as he tried to read Quentin's expression, and he tilted his head. "You might like it. Unless... you're uncomfortable going around alone with a boy," he realized, to which Quentin furrowed his brow in confusion. "I bet your aunt might think that's improper."

"Um," Quentin began, shifting uncomfortably. "I'm... not a..."

Naeem stared at Quentin, eyes flicking over the pastel, frilly clothes, and he raised his eyebrows, eyes going wide. "Oh! Gods, really? I'm so sorry!" he laughed, his cheeks lighting up in a red flush. "Goodness, that was presumptuous of me. Aha... well, then... um..." Naeem dithered, and Quentin couldn't help a tiny, indignant smile at Naeem's embarrassment.

[18]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/10/2015 1:14 AM

"I'm used to it," Quentin murmured, frankly utterly amused by how flustered Naeem was. "Honestly, it's how my aunt would prefer it." He left the subject at that, then folded his arms over his chest and tilted his chin up, hoping to look at least a little less embarrassed than he was. "Well? Show me the castle, then. I want to see it."

Naeem blinked at Quentin, utterly dumbfounded, then smiled slightly and nodded, a mixture of bemused and happy at this turn of events. "Alright... eh, I should ask," he began, turning and waving for Quentin to follow as he walked down the teal-tiled hallway, and Quentin eyed the gold adornments on the walls as he followed. "Are you afraid of insects, at all?"

[36] (new tally as of aug 10, 2015 - training again for the war)

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/10/2015 12:54 PM

Quentin's brows raised slightly as he followed Naeem, frown lightening to bemusement. "Insects?" he echoed the other boy, incredulous. What a strange question it was. "I don't like them very much, but I'm not afraid of them," he insisted.

Naeem glanced over his shoulder, trying to judge the truth of Quentin's words, then smiled slightly and nodded, a shine of excitement in his eyes. "Well come on--I'll show you one of my favorite rooms!" he laughed lightly, darting towards a huge, winding staircase. Quentin's eyes widened at the marble slope upwards, and he winced. He hated stairs. Even so... he wasn't about to embarrass himself; Quentin grunted as he followed the other boy, who had much longer legs than he did, despite their relatively close ages. But Quentin was small for a thirteen year old--he cursed this small body; it didn't fit a consciousness that longed for the freedom a child did not have.

[37]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/10/2015 1:14 PM

Quentin was quickly beginning to realize that this was a long staircase. It wasn't long before he was huffing and puffing, clutching at the dip in the wall that served as a handrail, the pressed collar choking around his neck. Damn these clothes--they served no practical purpose. But even Quentin knew better than to take them off; he had nothing under them, and despite his nonhuman nature, he still felt a twinge of embarrassment from the idea of going naked, especially in front of this guy. He wasn't sure why it made a difference... maybe because Naeem was nice.

Naeem glanced back at Quentin from several stairs ahead, blinking at the boy's exhaustion with knitted brows. "Are you alright?" he offered, clearly not fully understanding what the problem was.

[38]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/10/2015 6:25 PM

Of course the boy wasn't alright; Naeem could see that plainly. Naeem's brows knitted up in worry at Quentin's winded state, and he stepped down a few stairs to meet up with Quentin again. Those clothes looked horribly uncomfortable... perhaps he could help out with that. "Here," he murmured, turning and getting down to one knee, peering over at Quentin over his shoulder. "I'll carry you the rest of the way up, if you'd like."

Quentin stared at the offered back, then at Naeem's face--make no mistake, Quentin was a proud creature, but he was fairly sure he was about a hairsbreadth away from passing out, at this rate, from the heat and restraints of his clothing. Quentin made a sound in acknowledgement, then stepped closer and carefully, awkwardly climbed onto the other teen's back, flinching as Naeem held onto Quentin's legs and stood up with a grunt of effort.

[39]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/10/2015 6:34 PM

Quentin had to admit it, he couldn't argue with the added height. It felt nice to tower over things--at least somewhat tower over... okay, Naeem was still pretty short, and 'tower' was far too generous a word for it. But it felt nice, regardless, once he'd gotten used to the idea of clinging to Naeem's back as the young sultan's son coasted up the stairs.

"You're pretty light!" Naeem commented, panting softly as he laughed, glancing back at the bobbing white curls near the back of his head. Quentin frowned at that, unsure how to take the comment. "Don't worry, we're almost there--I really think you'll like this place. It always makes me feel calm, anyway," he said, and at last, he reached a landing that led to a doorway blocked only by a beaded curtain.

[40]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/10/2015 6:43 PM

Quentin stared at the curtain, a curious frown on his face, and he lightly tapped his shoe against Naeem's side. "Let me down now; I can walk," he murmured, and Naeem quickly obeyed, bending his legs to allow Quentin a safe drop to the floor. Quentin straightened out his rumpled clothes with a warmth in his cheeks, frowning at the floor as Naeem smiled at him.

"We're on the top floor of one of the towers; this is one of my father's most prized collections of exotic plants," Naeem explained as Quentin straightened his clothes out. "It's a little humid in there, but it's kept fairly cool. The plants aren't the exciting part, though," he added with a shine in his eyes that made Quentin both nervous and intrigued. If only he knew how to handle himself around other children better--but then, Quentin himself was not really a child, which complicated matters; he ought to give himself a little credit for just being able to interact with humans in general. "Here--come inside," Naeem whispered, like they could be caught, as he moved an arm to pull back some of the curtain.

[41]

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Next