With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Shopping in Unexpected Times and Places [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 7:43 PM

When Shelly had woken up that morning, she hadn't imagined she'd find herself lost in the middle of the woods with nothing more than a satchel and a shopping list. Yet, here she was, wandeirng around in the dark and wondering what the hell she'd done to deserve this. “I took that left at the fork in the road,” she muttered to herself, glancing around to try and get her bearings. But it was no use. She was totally and utterly lost. “Great, just great!” she shouted, ears flattening against her skull. This was the third time this month!

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: Shopping in Unexpected Times and Places [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 7:44 PM

Without even a sign to show her the way, Shelly found herself trying to navigate the flora covered forest floor. The ferns poked through her fur, and she was sure she had some burrs tangled in her tails for her trouble. Coming to a fallen log (which must have been there a long time, judging by the moss covering it), Shelly leapt up to try and scramble over it. Her claws scrabbled in the wood, gouging large chunks out of it, before she finally managed to get to the top.

Panting with the effort (she was too much of a city Kuhna for this wilderness crap), she nearly tumbled off and over the other side when a loud and noisy Corbine flew by, 'caw-cawing' so loud that he sent her fur standing straight up. Shelly yowled as she lost her grip with her claws, landing on the squishy, muddy forest floor with a faint 'thump.' “Ow. Perfect. I hate nature.”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 7:45 PM

If she'd had a fist, she would be shaking it at the trees. As it was, they did nothing but look down on her in silence. Of all the places she had to get lost, it was the only forest in the middle of a freakin' desert. She'd been to Wilt'no plenty of times, she knew, but she'd never seen anything like this here before. There was no way a forest could have just cropped up out of nowhere, right?

“That could explain why I'm so lost,” she decided, still glancing around at the trees. They looked ancient! They were bigger than a skyscraper, and their dark, moss-covered wood told her that they weren't exactly saplings. Everything around her, for that matter, looked big. And the forest had an ominous feeling to it, like something was watching her. She knew it wasn't the corbines. The birds were gazing down on her, sure, she could see them, but it felt...unnatural. Whatever was watching her didn't seem like it was normal.

So what...was it?

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 7:53 PM

As Shelly tried to navigate through fronds and plants that were growing increasingly larger and more exotic the further in she got, the feeling of being watched intensified. It made her fur prickle, and her spine tingle. She couldn't exactly fight something she couldn't see, though. “Hello?” she called quietly, hoping that whatever it was would at least be startled away by her voice. Her mind was conjuring up all sorts of monsters when a strange, and heavy fog started to roll in. It blanketed the ground, cooling the soil beneath her paws.

The leaves around her hung heavy with moisture, and she felt her fur grow damp from the mist. This was definitely not natural; it was one thing for a forest to pop up out of nowhere, but fog in the desert? No way. And then, just as Shelly was getting ready to turn around, re-trace her steps and try and find her way back home, she hyeard the soft, melodious sound of someone singing.

“Between the here, between the how
Between the north, between the south
Between the west, between the east
Between the time, between the place.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 7:59 PM

“From the shell
A song of the sea
Neither quiet nor calm
Searching for love again.”

“Hello?” Shelly called again. The voice had an almost hypnotic quality to it. As Shelly listened, she could swear she heard...the sound of waves? But how? She had to remind herself, once again, that she was in the middle of the desert. This was all getting way too creepy.

Placing her paws carefully, Shelly crept through the large fronds of the ferns around her, making her way towards the sound of the voice. She was afraid, yes, but she was also curious. Curiosity killed the cat, she reminded herself. But satisfaction brought it back. All I have to do is find out what is happening here, and then I can try and get home.

(LVL)

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 7:59 PM

As she sifted through the fronds, Shelly almost stumbled into the water. She backed up quickly, confusion coursing through her. No-no way! As she gazed out across what had been a forest only seconds before, she realized that she was now looking at a vast...lake? Or was it an ocean? The waves gently lapped at a shore that was soft and white with sand and shells.

It was no mere lake; the fog settled heavily across it's glassy surface, and despite the gentle calming waves rolling in, the rest of the lake didn't move, and not even a ripple flowed across its surface. But even as Shelly stared, she could still hear the singing, closer and louder than before. Her paws dug into the sand as she scrambled along the shore, circling around the lake. She could just make something out, vaguely, on the opposite side. It looked like a home but...it was set into the water.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 8:00 PM

Shelly was careful not to let the waves that rolled into shore touched her paws. Her grandmother had once told her that she should always beware of women who were too beautiful, promises that were too good, and water that you couldn't see yourself in. Shelly had yet to catch a glimpse of her reflection, and she was worried to even try to get close enough to see if she could.

There were warnings going off in her head, something telling her that this was not a good place, yet...She didn't feel afraid. Something else, another, deeper part of her, was telling her that she had nothing to fear here. What was it? Intuition? No, her gut was churning with unease, but her heart was saying that this place meant her no harm. She couldn't say the same about whatever it was that lived here.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 8:07 PM

As she neared the house, she realized it was a cottage set on stilts in the lake. A trail of rocks, large, round, smooth boulders worn away by the water, led to the front door, piled high and inviting her in. She reached the start of the path, gazing up it towards the house. She wasn't sure, still, but she knew that whoever was singing was just beyond that door.

She could still hear their silvery voice flowing from somewhere in the dark recesses of the cottage. It was like a magnet, drawing her nearer. Her paws moved of their own accord, her satchel bouncing on her back as she leapt from rock to rock. The words of the song were haunting, but strange. The woman, whoever she was, sang of the sea. Could that be why she was here?

“Between the winds, between the waves
Between the sands, between the shore
From the shell
A song of the sea.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 8:25 PM

But as Shelly listened, the voice became strange. The words weren't anything she recognized:

“Idir gaoth is idir tonn
Idir tuilleadh is idir gann
Casann sí dhom
Amhrán na Farraige.”

Determined to discover what was happening, Shelly reached the door. She lifted one paw, tentatively to knock. But before she could make contact, the door swung open wide, its hinges creaking with age. Startled, Shelly nearly leapt back, and it took all her courage not to turn and run. It was dark within the dwelling, with only a little flickering candle on a table near the back providing any form of light. Even the windows, where had sheer, fluttering curtains on them, let no light in. Now concerned that this was a very bad idea, Shelly couldn't help but step into the cottage. Something was telling her to go, even though every fiber of her being was telling her to leave.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 8:26 PM

“Is anyone here? Hello? S-sorry for intruding. I heard someone singing and I was wondering...” What was she wondering? Who it was or what they wanted? No, what she wanted to know was if this was real. Any of it! A forest and fog and a lake that was more like an ocean in the middle of the desert!

All she had wanted to do that day was go shopping, go home, and maybe eat a bucket of ice cream because she was a 'bucket of ice cream' kind of Kuhna. But here she found herself in a strange cabin, in a strange realm, and none of it made sense!

“Hello, my dear. It's always lovely to have visitors. Have you come to buy something?

(LVL)

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 8:26 PM

Shelly jumped, her fur standing straight up and blue eyes wide. She hadn't realized there was anyone in the cottage with her (though she should have known!). As she whipped about to find the voice, the room was suddenly illuminated magnificently with such brightness that it nearly blinded her. Little flames leapt form the candle, darting to the lamps hanging on the walls around the room. Everything was bathed in a warm golden light, and as the fireplace sprang to life, casting its warm, crackling glow over the cottage, Shelly was amazed to see where she was.

There were tables, chairs, a wonderfully upholstered seat, and everything seemed ot have come straight from some old Celtic legend. Everything had beautiful carvings, intricate knots and swirls and fearsome creatures that ranged from bears to lions to eagles carved into the legs and backs of chairs and tables and little carvings. Shelly had never seen anything like it! But what startled her most of all was the creature – the Kuhna! - standing just off to the side of the fireplace.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 8:27 PM

Shelly gaped. She'd never seen anything quite like this creature! She was, in all appearances, a Kuhna. But her fur shimmered with its own light, glowing like the points of many varied little silver stars. It rippled when she moved, like shimmering silk, and she had an aura around her that was very nearly blinding. Shelly wondered, briefly, if she should be afraid. Clearly, this Kuhna was not from this world. But she didn't seem to mean Shelly any harm, and her warm smile, and the feeling of welcoming openness she exuded made the Memorial kuhna feel right at home.

The other kuhna regarded her with silvery eyes, the faint smile widening as she looked Shelly over. “I haven't had a visitor in quite some time, my dear. You must be very, very special.” She peered closer at Shelly. “Yes, yes. Now that I see you, I see there is something different about you. You aren't a normal, kuhna, are you? Well, come in, come in. You must be here to buy something! I have plenty of things for sale, you know!”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 8:29 PM

“You...what?” Shelly was confused, sitting down on the hardwood floor with an audible 'thump.' “I mean...I didn't come to buy anything. Not from you, at least. I was out shopping for groceries when I got lost and...”

The glowing Kuhna trotted up to her, smile never wavering. “May I see your list?” she requested kindly. “I can help you with that.” As Shelly handed over the list of mundane items, like bread and cheese and vegetables, the little Kuhna gave a knowing nod. “Ah, yes. No, this is a good list. Quite organizes.” And then she blinked, and handed it back to Shelly, who opened her mouth to ask what she meant when she suddenly felt a tugging on her satchel. As she turned, she realized her shopping bag was now bulging with the groceries she had come to retrieve, and she stood there, mouth agape, eyes wondering.

“But how did you?”

“Magic, my dear. You should know by now...this is no ordinary place.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 8:36 PM

“What...what is this place?” Shelly asked softly, watching the fire flicker and dance and swearing it smiled at her.

“This is an ancient land,” the other Kuhna informed, her voice soft and quiet. “A long, long time ago, a great sorcerer laid a curse upon the lake and all who lived here. You see, the people of the lake had once worshiped the sorcerer as a God, but when a good witch from the sea appeared and  told them that the sorcerer was no God and that they must stop sacrificing their gifts to him, he became very angry. And so he cursed the witch and this land; the villagers were turned to trees and plants and rocks, never to know love or joy, but cursed to remain still forever. And the witch? She was doomed to live on the lake for the rest of eternity, cut off from her beloved sea. The sorcerer then cast a spell over the land so that none may ever venture there again, and those who were cursed to dwell there were trapped for eternity. But the sorcerer was not all powerful, you see, and once every hundred years, the land reappears, and the witch is free to wander away from the lake.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 08/01/2015 8:39 PM

Shelly didn't know what to make of that information, but she had a feeling that she understood. “And you...are the witch?”

“Right, my dear,” the Kuhna said, smiling sadly. “And you are my one and only visitor...until one hundred more years roll around, and another lucky soul ventures into my lands.” She turned, trotting back to the fireplace, and this time, Shelly knew she did see the fire smile at her. It winked, too! “Now, I have a gift for you. I have plenty of things for sale, but what will I do with the money, after all?” She indicated the glowing jars that set off to one side, stacked neatly on shelves lining the walls. As Shelly watched the other kuhan reached a paw into the fire, seemingly oblivious to the heat of the flames. But her fur wasn't even scorched, even when she withdrew a pendant or shimmering blue. She turned, presenting the little jewel to Shelly, who looked it over in awe. “This is for you, my dear. I wasn't lying when I said you were special; I can see it and I can feel it. And I have a feeling that perhaps you, of all the others, might be the only one who can help us. It will be up to you to break our curse. Set us free...”

Shelly opened her mouth to protest, but whens he looked back up, the witch was gone. As was the cottage, the lake and the forest. She gave a start, and as soon as she did, she woke up beside the road leading to the main town, her satchel of groceries beside her. Was that...a dream? Confused, Shelly looked around. She seemed to be back near her home, and all would have appeared normal if not for the bulging sack of groceries she knew she hadn't bought yet, and the little pendant clutched tightly in her paws. “Maybe...it wasn't a dream,” she whispered.

As she stood up, she could swear she heard a voice on the wind, quietly singing to itself and following her as she turned to go home.

(+9 Endurance, +6 Defense
x3 All other stats)

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate